AC360 Wednesday 8p

Investigators are analyzing data from the Bluefin-21. The latest on the search for Flight 370 live on AC360.
August 11th, 2010

Ground Zero Mosque Controversy: Join the Live Chat

A mosque planned just two blocks from the World Trade Center site. Protesters say don't build it near hallowed ground. But, as you'll see, there's growing pressure, all across the country, not to build any mosque, anywhere. Plus, Steven Slater, the most famous former flight attendant on the planet. He's speaking out about his JetBlue breakdown

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori, CA

Too bad he didn't try to take a small plane and fly home.....

August 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Sue R. Canton MI.

Goodnight AC360 Team and fellow bloggers.

Great show this evening Anderson.
    Stay safe everyone.

August 11, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  3. zakia

I personally teach my 2 little ones that black people have more Melanin in their body than the lighter skin people. And that's how God made us. They are 4 and 6 and they are just fine with it.
    They enjoy their life with all their friends from all races and religions.

August 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Khalid

It’s amazing what people come up with when they hate a particular thing like Islam. It’s a shame a man of faith and representing a religion, like the reverend calling my religion a lie, and I’m not faithful to my country which is absolutely not true and has no ground or proof, and he has no right to generalize. And by the way the Quran recognizes Jesus as a messenger of God and he is very well respected in Islam, like Moses, and all messengers of God.

August 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Great discussion tonight on the blog! Hope everyone has a great weekend. Good night Anderson and fellow bloggers.

August 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Regarding Steven Slater, I want CNN to interview the trouble-making passenger that started the whole episode. AND, I want to hear from a passenger that was sitting right where the incident occurred.

August 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Emily

Good night Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, David & Isabel, Megan, Nicole, Sree, Nancy, Starr, Gloria, & Bloggers!

Wonderful show & blog! :)

August 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Lori, CA

It is very hard to know how to prepare your perfect child to go out in the very imperfect world.

August 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Nancy in Oregon

I totally agree....brides are white and pure, bad guys (and their cars?) are dark. I still think so much of the dark-light, black-white things are cultural and mythical and go much deeper than race. Humans just associate white light with good and darkness with bad.

August 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Anna

At first I thought the proposal of building the mosque near Ground Zero was just bad timing, but after watching and reading about it, apparently a lot of American's strongly oppose mosque's that aren't even close to Ground Zero!! It's very unfortunate. After hearing the Reverends words, I'm embarrassed to be an American and a Christian.

August 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Kenya

Beautiful family. I hope parents everywhere have learnt something from this study. Communicate with your little ones about race!

August 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

It is really sad that kids are thinking of skin color that way. It does not help that society gives them mixed messages, they hear one thing and then hear another and do not know what to believe so they come up with whatever they can

August 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  13. kim - from Canada

kids,race and parenting....wow now those are amazing parents..keep up the great parenting skills!

August 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Alexandra

I am extremely offended by the remarks that Rev. Benham made tonight. First, please understand, I'm a Christian. But the Reverend's comment that all terrorists are Muslim is just a matter of perspective. If he were a Muslim man in the Middle East, he would think that we, the Americans, were the terrorists.
    And he says that Muslims can't be good citizens because they pledge their allegiance to Allah. If that is true, then Christians can't be good citizens either because we pledge our allegiance to God.

August 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  15. george

profiling is not an accurate description of a criminal mind. When enough statistics provide the information to show that a certain group is responsible for certain crimes- how is that profiling? More like proof and evidence.

August 11, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

What a cute little girl! What an education for the parents and an opportunity to help guide her thoughts on self-image and what is good.

August 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  17. Gretchen

Even in the african american race people are bias and they usually coose the lighter complextions as the form of beauty.Look at Halle Berry and Beyonce they are no more pretty than Kelly rowlands or Gabrielle Union,but when someone ask the question who's better looking and who gets more attention? It's obvious.and it is also shameful.

August 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  18. lisal -canada

one thing i noticed during this study was that the pictures of the dolls were all lined up with white to black – left to right.

this is the order in which we read – the left is the starting point, where 1 would be in 1-5, the 'start' of the line, the 'first' to be picked

just wondering if there is any psychological validity to this. i (personally) would like to see the same test with the pictures having the skin colors starting with black on the left and white on the right. 'bad' or 'last' might be 'last visually' which is just (isn't it?) the one on the far right if that type of 'default ordering' is considered.

August 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Awwww!!!!!! I love kids answer Anderson, They are so cute, I do like black people. they are best friends I have...... No matter what we need along together.

August 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Renee

My friend (white and pale) has an adopted daughter age 2 and she asked her Mom on Friday how come she was a black girl. Then she wanted to know what she could do to change her skin to her Mom's color. Kids do notice.

August 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Brad Ohio

A very good point about this Doll Test is that the Dolls are lined up left to right, like 1 through 5, first to last, leading in some way on basis of color, white to black. The test I would believe is inherently flawed in that respect. Change the positions of the dolls and see if the results change. It is very worthwhile to explore this subject and I applaud the teacher who is acting on her own to make a difference.

August 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Lori, CA

I would like to know where she noticed her skin color first?

August 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Sue R. Canton MI.

I don't think that God wanted religion to be so confusing. I'm a Christian and as a Christian it's not up to me to judge others (although as humans thats sometimes hard to do). I've always seperated my spiritual faith and religion and I would hope not to be judged for that.

August 11, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  24. athenaNYC

As a lifelong New Yorker I would prefer that there wasnt a mosque right near ground zero but if they own the land why cant they develop it as they see fit?

Our country was founded on religious freedom – the people who are protesting the mosque seem to forget about this.

While you are keeping them honest Anderson can you investigate why the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church destroyed on 9/11 still has not been rebuilt as promised by the Port Authority? Maybe the rebuilding of St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church would help offset the rage over the mosque?

August 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Nicole The Netherlands

Dear Brielle, you are beautiful!!!

August 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Watching these kids point to the pictures and listening to them breaks my heart.

August 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Mary in St. Louis, MO

Evening AC, 360 staff, and bloggers.

Scary to hear about the convict who is still not caught and the serial killer. Yikes. I hope they catch them.

These segments on race are interesting. From the mouths of babes..

Happy Wednesday.

August 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Michael

There have been Christian terrorists, Jo Ann. There may not be a terrorist organization but I remember there was a bombing of an abortion clinic a few years back and the brutal murder of a doctor performing abortions soon followed. Every religion has it's extremism but to deny the entire group, as a whole, the right to build a place of worship due to the actions of a few makes no sense.

August 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Libby, Anchorage ~

That little girl is so precious!

August 11, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Kirk

From the Qu'ran: "Do not let your hatred of a people incite you to aggression."

From The Bible: "For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace."

From the Talmud: “The highest form of wisdom is kindness”

It's not what each religion teaches, it's what we choose to learn from them.

August 11, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  31. vic , nashville tn

@Heather – Spokane, WA I agree
    Serial killer and terrorist motive are same hate and kill as much as they can

August 11, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

No religion is above criticism or infallible, but where people are peaceable practicing their faith there should be no infringment on their right to freely do so.

August 11, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Omar - Houston

Christians were not the only people who lost their lives in those buildings on 9/11...
    There were Muslims in those buildings and in NY too when those planes hit and terror struck. We all lost loved ones to terrorists on that day, Christians and Muslims alike.

August 11, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"The meltdown guy seems to be enjoying her newest found fame!"

August 11, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Emily

@Libby, Anchorage ~
    "I think the fleeing flight attendant is enjoying his new found fame."

I think that you are right! After all, it's likely the first time in his life that he's been called a "hero". He should be grateful that no one was killed when he slid out of that plane...someone could have easily fell and went down too. I hope he's charged, and convicted.

August 11, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  36. Megan

I'd like to know what the reverend thinks about the thousands of Arab Americans and Muslims courageously and voluntarily serving in our military, providing vital linguistics skills and cultural awareness in support of our missions overseas. No Muslim can be trusted? Really?

If you think Islam is all about hate, you're not paying attention. Sir, what a disgrace you are.

August 11, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  37. Mary in St. Louis, MO

Evening AC, 360 staff, and bloggers.

Very scary about the convict that is still not caught and the serial killer. I hope they can catch them soon.

Looking forward to seeing the segment on race. Progress has been made but unfortunatley I think there will always be prejudices out there.

Happy Wednesday.

August 11, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  38. Marion

Good evening Anderson,

Bless you for your patience and professionalism. You are to be commended for your calm in the face of such blatant ignorance as that of Rev. Benham. I pray for his sake that he is as committed to Christ as he professes. If so, in time he will certainly uncover God's truths and will learn that the God loves all people (that would include Muslims).

I am not in agreement with the mosque being at Ground Zero, but I don't condemn all Muslims, and in America, they too have a right to their religious beliefs.

August 11, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  39. lisal -canada

just as criminal profilers wonder what goes through people's heads and what motivates them, i often wonder what goes through the heads of profilers – i bet it is kind of interesting too.

August 11, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  40. Nancy in Oregon

I would say that racially motivated killers (or those who focus on prostitutes, etc.) are terrorists too.

August 11, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  41. Nancy in Oregon

Exactly, Sharon Hastings....the people who burn, condemn, etc., are emulating the very people they purport to oppose.

August 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  42. Kenya

How sad is that...you sincerely want to help someone out and they come swinging at you with a weapon because you seem weak or because of your race. Makes one think twice about helping anyone at all!

August 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

We should not jump to conclusions about these killings being racially motivated because not all the victims were black.

August 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

One of who escaped from jail that was his mom help him get out of prison.... He is abetting and abiding with his cousin... FBI and Police are looking for them bring back to prison. Hopefully FBI and police are working on it right now.

August 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  45. Heather - Spokane, WA

Serial killers can be terrorists too, and he is not muslim

August 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Dee

I can't believe this.... I was born in Afghanistan but I live in U.S.A all of my life here..... plz dont tell me that all muslim are terrorists....

August 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  47. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

This serial killer is frightening.

August 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  48. Marc

I had a friend killed on 911. The next day in his honor I wrote to the Mayor suggesting that rebuilding on the site include not only a memorial but the equivalent of a United Nations for religious faiths. A center for greater cross religion understanding. A place where dialogue and greater understanding could result. If we truly want to end conflict associated with religion we need to open our hearts and minds. Only then can we truly say we are nation and world of mutual respect.
    Anything less is just bigotry

August 11, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  49. Jared

I can not understand why we are unable to distinguish betwwen Islam and Islamic terrorists. Taking Islam as a terror is saddening and an excellent example of other form of extrimism in the making. those Pakistanyies and afgans wo are fiting terrorists along side US in Afgan and Pakistan are moslims. People who are fighting in Yemen againist terrerists are followers of Islam. Hello friends lets widen the scope of our thought.

August 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  50. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "Most terrorists that I have heard about are Muslim."

There are Lots in the 'name' of Catholicism & Protestantism.

August 11, 2010 at 10:45 pm |