May 27th, 2010

Video: Gulf residents say govt. not "in charge"

Program Note: Watch Anderson Cooper's reporting from Louisiana on the Gulf oil spill on AC360° tonight at 10pm ET.

1. myna lee johnstone

so where were all the world scientists/engineers on this
    were they freely coming forth with solutions,warnings?
    And the Repuglicans, always against regulation, now crying foulplay...gimme a break
    and... how many Americans relate this to their own lifestyles... did they quit driving out of disgust for their own oil consumption?

May 28, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  2. KBH

Even if the government is "in charge" what good does it do the public when the USCG is apparently cooperating with BP to prevent journalists from exercising their First Amendment Rights by refusing them access to oil-spilled parts of the Gulf and its beaches?

When a CBS news crew was threatened with arrest in trying to access a La. beach last week by a BP sub-contractor with USCG personnel at his side, the quote was:

"This is BP's rules, not ours."

Well that about sums it up!

May 28, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  3. pamela willcoxon

they stopped the mud feed for 16 hours yestarday but on their live feed it showed they were still pumping the mud in my question is do they have their supposable live feed on repeat ? cause thats what it looks like yestarday

May 28, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  4. Rene Norton

BP's safety record is disturbing. Could they have possibly been this agregious? So far worse than others? I sense that perhaps BP was "out of the loop". What say yee?

May 28, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  5. Heath

BP is spewing as many lies and half-truths as the gushing oil. Thanks for exposing them, BP deserves to be shutdown in North America. During this 'top kill' they haven't been showing the bigger leak, wonder why? It's obvious now that the mud is just getting blown straight back out and not going down the well very far, if at all.

May 27, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Michele Cavouto

Thank you so much for showing us what is really going on. I gave up on CNN a while ago, but now I know that you, Anderson, have given us a clear view of what's happening. I am sickened by this whole thing, but I am glad you are showing the public the truth and bringing us the photos. I am praying that a solution will surely come, but where was our government 4 weeks ago? Why couldn't something have been done to prevent the oil from reaching the shoreline? I've never seen anything like this in my lifetime. Hopefully, it will not take until August to stop this insanity. What will it be like then? I don't even want to imagine.

May 27, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  7. Rob

Anderson I would be curious to know how much BP has paid for PR versus claims and cleanup?

May 27, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Jean Lehmann

I'm throwing out a cheer to President Billy Nungesser representing the Lousiana parish whose area is in crises. I admire his passion and undaunting commitment to fix this nightmare in the Gulf of Mexico for his state. I deeply admire his proactive enthusiasm in trying to deal with the crises BP created in the Gulf. My heart also breaks for the Lousiana representative, Charlie Melancon, who on TV today, visibly showed his own heartbreak and angst about the horrific destruction of his beautiful state.

May 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  9. erika hamilton

I'm surprised nobody has called for a worldwide boycott of BP. If the latest attempt to stop the leak is successful, the question remains why it wasn't done earlier? Have they been holding back from spending the necessary funds, in spite of the devastation this leak is causing? Mindboggling!

May 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Harriet

If the pumping of the mud into the hole was shut down for 16 hours, why do the live images look the same? Are they really live shots or canned?

May 27, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Paul Manning

If they can't plug the gushing oil; they (including other oil drilling companies to support the efforts) need to refocus efforts to channel the flow by coupling to larger diameter pipe; and with coordinate efforts reap the benefits from continous output...

May 27, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Alastair Malcolm

The "Live Feed" of the leak appears jerky, slowed down. I suspect BP is covering up the true flow rate.

May 27, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  13. Jim Rehkopf-New Orleans

Anderson, what can I say? I've said it all before and so has everyone else. The best thing I can say now is Thank You Anderson. Thank you for not letting up on BP and the Feds. Without you and those like you keeping up the pressure this thing will slip under the radar.

May 27, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  14. mary johnson

Why are we watching BPs video? Shouldn't the government and/or the media have a camera at the leak area? The camera can show us more of the area at the bottom of the gulf. We also would have known exactly when the top kill was stopped. How can the President claim that he is in charge but is relying on BPs videos and words?

May 27, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  15. Ralph Esposito, Jr.

Mr. Cooper
    I congratulate you for your perseverance in maintaining the pressure on the various players in this unfortunate set of events. The general attitude & behaviour of the people involved in this matter is simply criminal! If the US courts can sentence Conrad Black to 6 years of prison for, in a nut shell, taking his wife to Bora Bora on the company's nickel, I'm anxious to see what these guys are going to be getting as judicial treatment by the US government and courts. Keep the pressure on!
    Ralph Esposito, Jr.