February 24th, 2010
  1. Mark C. Potts

I did a report in 2007 of many brands of cars having problems with floormats. Nobody seemed to care then, even with all the recalls. Now it's a crisis.
    I found it interesting that the lady sat before the Committee and told them that her car was traveling 100 mph for over 6 miles, but she had time to call her Husband on the cell phone. I'm sorry, I've travelled at 100 mph, there is no way you can use a cell phone at that rate of speed. Especially in only 6 minutes.
    So I'm starting to wonder if some of these complaints are real or are we just beating up on Toyota. A kick 'em while they're down scenario. Not that Toyota isn't responsible for their inaction on safety issues. But let's stick to truth.

February 25, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  2. Sandy

First off I want to say I have owned every AMERICAN company made vehicle such as FORD, GMC, Chevy, etc. By 20K miles I always had them in the shop for something and by 60K they were traded in and something else purchased, this is how the AMERICAN companies made money. By producing a vehicle you felt was not worthy of a long road trip without fear of breaking down, I bought my first toyota in 09 and it has 30K miles on it and not even a light has messed up like the American products. I have only performed routine maintanance on it. Toyota sells a lot of vehicles because they last and last and last. Toyota also gives MANY AMERICAN's jobs that pay well and I am afraid if the government does not back off somewhat they will pack up all their equipment and plants and move to Canada. Leaving MILLIONS of Americans without jobs. Someone called me right after all the recalls began and asked me if I was trading my camry in for an American made car, I said Absolutely Not! The Toyota company made the fastest recall than Ford did when their accelerator done the same thing at the same time. But, both places ordered the same part from the same place in Indiana, The only difference is my car has a part from Densco not the place in Indiana, This is another way that Toyota has helped our economy and with our country in a mess I think I would try to save jobs instead of running them out. China sells us lead in our childrens toys that can cause brain damage but nothing is done because we are in debt trillions to them. The CHINESE government doesnt have the first plant in the UNITED States but we are in debt to them so far we could never get out. This is something we need to really think about as a whole country not just letting our government decide. I am only saying JAPAN invests in our country so we need to show RESPECT to them.

February 25, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  3. john

I watched your opening line that maybe the Toyota is relying on junk science for a fix. Is that like the climate change folks relying on junk science. Maybe all of you should step back and take a look the harm liberals in Congress are doing. Excluding the Fed Japan is the largest debtholder.China and Japan are needed by the liberals to keep on their spending spree. But most importantly you should look into the practice of Service Bulletins. This is a practice used by Obama`s own GM to mask problems with vehicles to the public. Tell me there is not an agenda here.

February 25, 2010 at 2:20 am |
  4. Cathy Vittoria

I own a 2009 Toyota Venza. Toyota has recalled this vehicle for a problem with the floor mats. Hearing nothing from Toyota I went to my local dealtership – All Star Toyota to inquiry as to the procedures for my recall. I was told by the dealership that my vehicle had not been recalled – I questioned them by telling them I read about the recall on their web page – They stated they were quite sure that my car had not been recalled.
    I left and looked up the recall again and called the dealership and spoke with Bramdy – She told me that she was looking at the Toyota delaers web page and assured me that my car had not been recalled.
    She even told me she would fax me a copy of the recalls to show that mine was not one.
    So does Toyota dealers know what has been recalled – does the left hand really know what the right hand is doing.

February 25, 2010 at 12:40 am |
  5. Bill Anderson

Why shouldn't we ban all Toyota sales untill this accelleration problem is fully resolved?
    A few years back, Japan banned all American beef sales after an isolated "mad-cow" desease scare.
    The sudden acceleration problem does not appear to be a floor mat problem, a stuck accelerator problem, or a user mis-use problem.
    It actually appears to be a design problem in its computer system. It is being "fixed" by a computer softwaqre addition that will over-ride a sudden acceleration if the brake pedal is depressed. This does not resolve the engineering error that is causing the problem in the first place.
    I don't actually want my government to ban toyota sales. But my government should forcefully make the point that Japans blanket banning of American products after an isolated problem is equally unsatisfatory and won't be tolerated in the future!

February 24, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Rick B

The Toyota safety issues regarding their vehicles are alarming, but, aren't American car manufacturers and our government viciously attacking Toyota? It is to their advantage that this situation ends badly for Toyota. Looks like we are trying to level the playing field? Just wondering....

February 24, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Bill Anderson

I'm not suggesting we do this, BUT:
    Remember a few years ago when we had a very limited "mad Cow" desease occurance in the USofA.
    Japan, banned all beef imports from our country.
    Why shouldn't we ban all Toyota sales in this country until the problem has benn fully identified and corrected.
    It seems that the accelaration problem is neither a floor mat or gas pedal sticking problem: more likely it is a design flaw in the computer system. The proposed "Fix" is a computer program change that will over-ride the flaw, if uncontrolled acceleration occures while the brake pedal is engaged. This still does not address the engineering flaw that is causing the problemin the first place.
    Actually, I don't want to see our govenment ban Toyota sales. However, I would like to see our government forcefully tell Japan that future blank banning of American products due to isolated problems is equally intolerable!

February 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Cecil

The auto unions are piling on through their influence in Congress and the Obama Administration. I think that this problem could have been handled without all of the fan fare. I put 250,000 miles on my last two toyotas without any repairs. They have a problem, lets help them to solve it and move on. They build a great auto and most of those that are sold in the U.S. are build here.

February 24, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Maureen/ CA

I've been driving a Toyota for 14 years. And when I puuchase another vehicle, it will be Toyota. The accicents that have happened are very sad & I am very sorry for those people and their families. But, I feel safer in a Toyota than a Chevy any day. I don't see Toyotas broken down on the freeway like I see Chevys, Fords, etc.

My car was made in California at the New United Motor Manufacturing plant. These automakers did an excellent job and I am very happy with my Toyota.

February 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
  10. Dave

I feel the CEO of Toyota gets and he takes ownership for all the issues something US companies are not so eager to do. I watched the hearings today and I felt the questions were very appropiate but the manner in which they asked them was liking watching a parent discipline their child.

In the beginning he (CEO) acknowledged the problem ie... communication breakdown as well as company issues pertaining to growth. He then laid out very clearly the plan to move foward, I just don't get treating people with the lack of respect we showed someone of his position. We must also remember he took that position in July 2009 yet made no excuses. We (corp. america) should look at the way he handled himself under the most challenging time in Toyota's history!!!!!

February 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
  11. Steve

Toyota obviously has a problem somewhere in their firmware/software...

Open source the darn thing. Simple and easy. A million C++ programmers around the world will read their code, find the problem(s) and fix it. For Free.

Problem solved.

February 24, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  12. Donald Ainsworth

From what I have read so far on this issue it leaves me disappointed. Congress has not been as harsh on Toyota as they were on Ford Mo. Co. and Firestone with the tire problem. Several members of Congress said they owned Toyotas & were happy with them, I would expect all members of Congress to own Ford, General Motors, or Chrysler products, American products! This is just another example of our broken Government! Until the people wake up and get rid of all the incumbents, owned by business and corporate interests, will we get fair representation!! Don from Ohio

February 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  13. Kumaran

Being a controls engineer, i can relate this very well to the way control loops work. I have done software for process industry and have done closed loops number of times.

In this case i suspect that electronics takes it over at some point and it is not getting interrupted.

Let them give the electronic module to an Independant company and we can put to the stress test and we can find out.

Or if the can read their source code over and over again, they can find out

February 24, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  14. Kumaran

On Toyota Unintended Acceleration, i bet it is due to Electronics and more so when Electronics is acting on cruise control. I had this issue couple of times with my Honda Minivan, and as a controls engineer i could relate it to Torque, dead weight, ramp. The vehicle was on a upclimb on a mountain, on cruise control, i had set the speed to 60 MPH, the vehicle could not pull up for the steep ramp and weight, and then it pumped the accelerator and suddenly i could see the vehicle accelerating, it went to 75 mph, and first time i applied the brakes and it came down, second time, knowing what was happening, i let it go, it climbed up and then started slowing down by cutting fuel supply and acclerating again,

February 24, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  15. Debbie

I do not condone the mistakes of Toyota however, I am shocked at how congress (I believe it was) spoke to the Grandson of Toyoda today on the news. I mean, he spoke meaner than I heard us speak to any other country for any other problem, ever. Toyota has clearly made a mistake, but this does not seem to be premeditated and they are our allies. China, a few years back imports to us dog food that killed many of the American's dogs, where was congress yelling at them? A while back, we find too much lead in children's toys from China, Where was congress protecting our children from their mistakes? (And by the way, there is a HUGE difference between China and Japan and how they do business.) Japan works with integrity, humility and pride in their work, I was lucky enough to live there for three years and was impressed with how much pride they take, and now here is congress treating them worse than Osama Bin Laden or any terrorist that has done us wrong in this country. I believe the Toyota mistake is a big one, but not a deliberate one, and their quickness to handle this problem is impressive, our economy and their economy ties in together, we work together, America and Japan, we do not need to bash them and humiliate them any more than believe me, they are already are. America is not perfect, and we would not want this happening to us for all of our mistakes and believe me, we have them too. Tell me one car maker out there that is perfect. I am just saying, there are premeditated mistakes and then not, and they do not deserve the verbal treatment they got, this is a serious issue and we need to stop humilating them and just help them get this problem resolved soon, their economy affects ours, ours theirs, we are tied together. (for the people who do not know this.)

February 24, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  16. Tammy Christine

Ok so Toyota is getting now. But really you could replace " Toyota " with Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. All these companies have had there share of recall troubles, yes? I would say that Toyota, like all car companies, dose there there very best, to create the safest and best auto they possibly can, yes?
    So keep up the good work Toyota! There great cars, still.

February 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm |