February 24th, 2010

All teachers get pink slips at Rhode Island school

Randi Kaye
CNN

A school board in Rhode Island has voted to fire all teachers at a struggling high school, a dramatic and controversial plan aimed at shoring up education in a poverty-ridden school district.

On Tuesday night, the board approved the plan by Frances Gallo, superintendent at Central Falls School District, to discharge 88 teachers at Central Falls High School.

The firings come over the district's concern that teachers refused to spend more time with students to improve test scores.

But a teachers' union spokesman called the firings "drastic" and cited a 21 percent rise in reading scores and a 3 percent hike in math scores in two years.

The terminations will go into effect in the next school year at Central Falls, one of the lowest-performing schools in the state.

Filed under: Education • Randi Kaye
  1. Rose (teacher of 39 years)

They fired everyone? So no one was doing a good job? I don't believe it. This is politics. Fire everyone, then hire back the people who are lowest on the salary schedule. Hire back the people who will say "yes" to everything, even when "no" is the best answer. Test scores are an excuse. It's a sad state of affairs, when the community allows such things to happen!

February 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
  2. ink

Fire all of the teachers. Hire new teachers, right? Who would interview for the next group of teachers? Why subject yourself to this cruelty? When will the next group of teachers get fired? Good luck getting applicants.

February 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  3. Rich Meagher

This is just another case of people overreacting on all sides .The schoolboard let go some teachers that are trying to do their jobs, there are some students that have given up andthere are some parents that aren't doing their job. Everybody Looses! Everybody in this country had better start going the extra mile or we won't have a country left. It just seems that this is the way 95% of the people here want to act. Take care of me and screw everybody else. Come on, lets get it together and try to fix it. Don't give up on us ,make it better.

February 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  4. Myra Sajjad (teacher, Canada)

The education of a child is a holistic undertaking that involves not only the child but also all the stakeholders. By stakeholders I mean teachers, parents, princcipals, vice-principals, superintendents of schools, and ,if necessary, child welfare workers, social workers, etc. So inother words all those involved with the child in any capacity is a stake holder.

What is happening in Central Falls School District is that this Superintendent is conveniently forgetting the involvement of other people in a child's educational process and going straight for a band aid effect which involves the firing of all the teachers. Perhaps she is doing this to save her own job, or she is doing this to appease the public.

Firing the teachers is not going to solve the problem. They are not the ones at fault here. All those that should have been involved in the education of these students were clearly not. As well, when the Superintendent's office first started noticing these problems what steps were taken to resolve them. What programs were put into place, or what resources were made available to the school staff to help these kids. Probably none.

So, what does Frances do instead of providing viable leadership, she fires the teachers.

Like I said; a bandaid effect.

February 25, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
  5. john anderson

The point here is what value do teachers provide if the students fail. This is not about 'I went to school and I did my job. It's their fault.' If the students dont learn there is no purpose in providing an education. We dont need to pay you those wages for nothing. that is the point.

February 25, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  6. Samuel

I teach at both a university and a private school and have been in education for 27 years. Aside from a two year stint in a public school in Florida where there was zero parent involvement, I have worked only in private education. At the private school 99% of the parents, who are busy professionals, show up to meetings. They have high expectations of us, but more importantly of their children. They see us as partners and not adversaries. We are treated like professionals, but we are not products of the diploma-mill-education-departments that turn out teachers who have no subject knowledge. It is ironic that I have a doctorate and can teach would be teachers at a university and have won national recognition for what I do, but I cannot be hired by a public school because I am not certified. I find the public system ridiculously overwhelmed by bureacracy, impeded by political correctness at the expense of intellectual pursuits. Our culture that values more what Paris Hilton wears or who wins a football game than what their children's day is like at school. The exceptional students and their families will end up paying a high price to take care of all those who have been failed by not just a mediocre system but also by their own parents. Stop having children that you treat like luggage. If you cannot read to them at night, talk to them at dinner without the television on, then don't have them at all. Teachers cannot do everything. This is why I don't teach in a public school.

February 25, 2010 at 11:49 am |
  7. Paul C

What they want to do is fire all the teachers and bring it spanish speaking teachers.
    Yet another attack of the American culture.

February 25, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  8. Paul C

What is being down played here is the fact many of this are probably illegals because they do not speak english which means because our federal government will not enforce our immigration laws they have set these teachers up to fail.
    As someone whos been around the school system I know how hard it is to teach these kids.
    If any thing send in ICE, the schools test scores would raise significantly

February 25, 2010 at 11:44 am |
  9. Heather

As usual the teacher are wholly blamed for all of the students failures. How about looking at what teachers can not change? The home life for instance. When education is not valued then it makes it harder for teachers to do their job. When parents do not show up for parent/teacher conferences nor answer calls from the school then it makes it harder for the teacher to do their job. When there are 35 students in a class and 10 of them are constantly disruptive then it makes it harder for a teacher to do their job. So to the person that said teachers aren't spending enough time with the students to help them excel, I challenge you to get your certification and do a better job in the classroom.

February 25, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  10. Elaine Connelly

I live in Lincoln, NE. The teacher's union is nothing but a bunch of thugs pretending to put students first.
    I personally know of at least 2 teachers who have died in the last 3 years (here in Lincoln, NE) from drug overdoses. They both bragged about being cool with their students, doing dope and such. One even dated one of his former students. This is akin to the Doctors and their self-policing efforts. NOT WORTH DIDDLY SQUAT!.
    I would like to have this school superintendent come to Lincoln, and fire 95% of the teachers in this school district, because I know that they are not doing their jobs.

February 25, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  11. Elizabeth (teacher of 7 years)

I agree with both Richard and Edward. There are many parties to these problems. One party that has not been mentioned in this discussion is the elementary/middle schools. Students are not being prepared adequately for high school level work coming from the earlier grades. My math students are entering high school 4-5 grade levels below 9th grade both in math and reading. How can I be expected to teach the curriculum on a timely basis?

February 25, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  12. Jim

So When do all the Politicians that are not doing their jobs we pay them to do going to get THEIR Pink slips????????????

February 25, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  13. Zach

The real problem here is the teachers unions. What isn't reported is that there were other options given to the teachers, before this step was taken. One of these options was to have them work slightly longer days (with an increase in pay). The increase was not enough for the teachers unions. Also, as part of this mass firing, up to 50% of the teachers will be rehired for next year. Hopefully this will mean that the underperforming teachers will be out and the good teachers will be retained.

I hope this trend happens across the nation. We need to clean house. Out with the bad and keep the good. Hell, pay the good more. They deserve it.

February 25, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  14. Brent

Lets see.....you are hired 20 years ago to teach. All the kids then spoke english as their first language so it was a fairly normal type of teaching environment. 20 years later your school is 70% hispanic and your kids are not doing well in standardized english based tests. And then someone tells you it's your fault....why?

If someone said I needed to train new help and that new help didn't speak english I would be in serious trouble. If they told me I had to stay extra hours so I could teach this person and not be compensated I would be rightfully upset.

I find it very strange that I have only seen one article written that includes the racial makeup of the school. I am sure that is because of political correctness but I don't think facts should be considered racist. I also don't think school may be the most important priority for a young kid when they are living in poverty and may have to help suport their family.

February 25, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  15. Norma Anderson

Unions are fine in some industries, but in the school system it has made it impossible to get rid of poor teachers.

February 25, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  16. Robert Henikman

If one thinks that firing all the teachers is going to solve the problem, think again. Problems are many, such as society itself. In my opinion, many have lost the importance of education. Let's compare the test scores of many Asians cultures to Americans. There's an overwhelming spread in the scores. Why? In my opinion, kids in Asian families uphold and promote the disciplines and importance for a strong education. For the most part, they show respect towards their teachers and regard them as their superiors. No matter what new stratigies and teaching methods are being taught, if the kids don't see the importance of a quality education, choose not to learn and be accountable for their actions, the blame shouldn't be placed on the teachers alone. Ask the parents and community to help in solving the problem. Or, ask the Board members to return to the classroom for a week, just to experience the feeling again. I'd love to be there but live too far away!

February 25, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  17. kim (teacher of 30 years)

As a high school biology teacher of 30 years, I have seen a dramatic negative change in student behavior. Many students come to school with severe behavioral problems, drug problems, home lives are a wreck, some are pregnant, and most are undisciplined. Many stay up very late and then try to sleep in class. You never see the parents of the students that are struggling, most of the time you can not even reach them by phone. If you ask the students to stay after school for help they will not do it or do not have a ride home.
    Are there some teachers that are good- yes, are there some teachers that are bad-yes, are there some teachers that are average-yes, just like any other occupation. I do not believe that every teacher in that district is bad, so why are they not evaluating each teacher? What about the administrator? Are they not also at fault? I expect students to show up prepared, with book, paper and willing to learn, but many of them have no expectations at home to do anything and they carry that to the classroom. I have spent many hours after school tutoring students, and preparing lessons. I have spent my money to buy equipment, pencils, paper and even lunch money for students. Many of the teachers in my building work long hours and feel unappreciated.
    When young people ask me if they should become a teacher my response is the following? Do you want to make less money than other professionals with the same degree? Do you want to be frustrated? Do you want to be blamed for all the ills of society? Do you want to break up fights? be called ames

February 25, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  18. kim

As a teacher for 30 years I realize there are some bad, some good, some average teachers. But I really have a hard time believing that all teachers in one school are bad. I want to know if the administrators in this building have been fired? One of the biggest reasons teachers become resigned to failure is when they get no support from the administration. In this day many students come to us with problems ranging from drug problems, gang situations, pregnancy, no support from home, lack of discipline, and yes even mental illnesses. What programs were in place to assist teachers in dealing with these issues? Or did the administration simply tell the teachers to improve or else? Maybe some of the people pointing fingers should enter the classroom and fix some of these problems and realize how difficult it is to get a student motivated when that child does not know where they are going to sleep that night, or if the lastest boyfrient is going to beat them senseless.

February 25, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  19. Ed

One wonders who hired all of these teachers... Perhaps they need to be purged as well.

February 25, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  20. Mr. Teacher

Just to throw a match on the fire I'll quote my wife who is an M.D. in a medical clinic with a large Medicaid population: "god are most poor people stupid!"

Before the flames start, think about it. Poverty is a symptom of many overall social failures. It looks to me like the teachers here have been scapegoated for a town with many endemic problems. I guarantee you that when they replace these teachers (if they can) the good ones are out of there in less than five years because they can find better jobs elsewhere and they are stuck with the same lousy situation because of the larger problem of ignorance and poverty in the town. This fool superintendent just tried to heal a wound by ripping a scab off: he's just promoting scaring.

February 25, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  21. sammy

Yeah!!! Finally a school disctrict who is treating their teacher like an employer treats an employee. Here are your objectives for the year, if you don't meet these objectives we have the right to terminate you. This should be happening all across the country. We need teachers that want to teach, that want to help kids, that want to to the extra mile. I agree that is is hard in some districts, as some of the other posters stated you have to have the kids and parents on board and they have to want it as much as the teachers, but 3% in 2 years in Math scores, come on!!!! Really, you are saying that is good? The board should be coming up with a specific program that is designed to boost the scores with parents, teachers and maybe even the community getting on board (offereing some kind of incentives to the kids). This article should be passed out in colleges all across the country to kids in the education field. Maybe it would be a good case study.

February 25, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  22. myra bellfy

teaching children takes everyone involved in the childs life not just the teachers, all they can do is teach, the parents need to teach good study habits, the want to learn attitude and both need to help a struggling student- provided that student wants to learn, if the child is not willing to learn- no one can teach them. this requires both side of the system, i have heard way too many parents say it is not their responsibility- it is your child if not your problem whos problem is it?? teachers cannot do it all, they don't follow the child home, if the parents don't care the child doesn't care. and what this does not say if most of the children do not speak english, if you don't speak english how can you understand the teacher. i taught my child english, that was my responsibility no one else's. teachers try, but it is a two way street. wake up parents you are responsible you are the parent not the friend......

February 25, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  23. Tim

The Union forced this issue, they knew that if they didn't agree to the changes that the only recourse was either to pay the teachers what the Union demanded or to scrap the program and leave everything status quo, or to move forward with the program if the School Board approved it. Additionally, the Union knew that if the program was approved then the only recourse that the Superintendent had was to fire all teachers (this is in the agreement with the Teachers Union) and that they may only fire back 50% of the teachers that are fired. I think the Union was playing Russian Roulette and lost, too bad for the teachers that believed the Union could save them.

February 25, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  24. Claudia

My husband is a high school teacher in NYC. His job is one of a facilitator. He presents the material, shows the children how to go about reading it and understanding it and writing about it. However it is not his job to do it for them. Nor does it matter to him the individual circumstances. He sees 150 children a day. The students must do the work. If not they will fail. Simple. It is the parents of some. that come in if the student is creating trouble in the class and say "They are my problem at home and they are your problem while they are here." What is that? My husband only sees them for 50 minutes a day. Is she for real. My husband is lucky he is in a good school, but there are other teachers that are just as good as him that are in failing schools and can do nothing. All they have control of is there individual classrooms, not of the entire school. I agree if the teacher is not teaching they shouldn't have a job. But the students, parents, administrators and the board have a responsibility also. This board just wants to send a message.

February 25, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  25. Beth Brown (retired teacher)

Here's an idea. Find a high school with high student performance and switch the staff with Cental Falls for a year. The results will probably be the same for both schools. This will prove that other factors are responsible for Cental Falls low performance.

February 25, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  26. Arthur Thompson

2/25/2010 This article was also on CNN yesterday with over 1500 coments. While most comments are seeking the who to blame question lets take it all the way to the top. Federal government with unrestricted access into our country of illegal and legal non speaking English have decimated our country from sea to shining unintelligent sea! Look at California which is bankrupt catering to illegal and non English speaking aliens. Our government has promoted free trade free flow of uneducated undesireables which have brought down the economic stability of many districts nationwide. In Ga most jobs are now barely at minimum wage while educated people have lost 250,000 jobs during this DEPRESSION. They will not be coming back .

CNN also reported some state colleges will be raising tuition rates by 15% -30% for the next school years due to cutbacks in funding and Federal loans. Our country will quickly convert to third world status in the coming 10 years due to: Myopic planning by Federal , state and local leaders to stop unprecedented illegal invasion of our country .

The teachers in Rhode Island were also supposed to take courses to learn Spanish so they could teach the Spanish speaking students in their own mother language. That is the ridiculous straw that broke the Teachers back. The head of the School district better be fluent in Spanish if she expects her subordinates to follow in her backward footsteps .

February 25, 2010 at 9:20 am |
  27. Dawn

It may not be just the teachers fault that students are not getting an education. The whole school system needs to be revamped including removing all teachers. The school is system is not meant to be an iron bowl for the teachers and administrators but for students to get an education.

February 25, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  28. J.Crobuzon

Education has no friends in this country, and learning for learning's sake is derided as useless and 'liberal.' Sure, let's fire every teacher at every public school and set up "church schools" to educate our kids they way we want then taught. They can work for the kids who went to good schools, if they happen to need laborers.

February 25, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  29. Jeff

As a father of a first grader whose teacher is one of th laziest and most inept individuals whom I have ever met (typical "government employee") – I applaud the actions of the board. It takes gut to make a bold move such as this and it puts all the other teachers on notice. Money is not the answer to fix the problem in our scools – the government throws more and more taxpayer dollars down the black hole of education and things continue to spiral downward. Personal accountability and holding educators to task for their results are the only things that will fix this problem. It's time to cut throuh the "PC" crap and attack the root of the problem. Kudos to the Administration in RI for making the hard decision and not bowing to the laments of the weak.

February 25, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  30. vic

I see this all the time at my high school. teachers dont teach... they sit their and talk or joke with the students. only 4 of 5 teachers i had actualy tried to teach... so i say have a teacher review every year and kick the bad and keep the good. i dont know how to do this because other teachers will be saying that they are all good. while if the students are given the power to do that they will get all teachers that have fun with the kids and not teach. so... what can be done?

February 25, 2010 at 8:06 am |
  31. Walter (SPED, 20 yrs)

WoW, here we go...another blow to the teaching profession. Sounds like a great plan, blame all teachers for lack of student success. What happened to the concept of students being prepared to learn? What ever happened to parents being involved in their child's education? Oh, I forgot, and threw away the memo that states that we (teachers) are now responsible for the raising of the youth of America....Why not try letting Wall Street Execs teach Algebra....

February 25, 2010 at 7:50 am |
  32. Patz Mac

Sadly, when students arrive in high school operating at a second or third grade level, it is almost impossible to teach them biology, history, geometry or language arts. You have absolutely got to start with the 3 year olds and follow up every year to keep them on track.
    When I was teaching, we re-wrote the curriculum for high school courses to be on a third grade level, quite an achievement because no big words were allowed, so even if they graduated were they really educated? Head Start, Kindergarten, strong dedicated elementary school teachers and after school programs until at least 6 pm would work miracles to Leave No Child Behind and keep them off the street until their parents get off work.

February 25, 2010 at 2:46 am |
  33. Robert W. Clore

What if the pathetic administration of this district tried to implement what research has proven really works to improve student achievement and success.

1. Reduce class sizes. Reference the STAR study in Lamar Alexander's Tennessee and follow up, long term research.)

2. Provide adequate professional library staff and resources. (reference Elaine Didier in Michigan, Keith Curry Lance in Colorado (with follow up studies in many states.)

February 25, 2010 at 2:45 am |
  34. Robert W. Clore

Can you imagine the devastating impact this action has on the morale of the teaching staff? This is perhaps the most egregious instance of administrative incompetence I have ever seen, and I had some 40 years in education to see many examples. If the administration refuses to support their own teaching staff, students have little chance to succeed.

February 25, 2010 at 2:38 am |
  35. Terry Brookman

Fire them all and start over again children are not learning anything but entitlement. I was married to a teacher for a while and she had nothing on her mind but retirement. The children she was supposed to be teaching she was dealing pot to and molesting, they are worse than the priesthood. She tried to defend her actions with everyone is doing the same and the kids wanted to learn nothing but sex. What a sad state for this country to be in, I cold even feel sorry for the kids but they do not seem any smarter than their teachers to believe all their BS. Where are the parents that are supposed to instill some kind of good judgment in their children. Say hello to planet Somalia!

February 25, 2010 at 1:29 am |
  36. Alex

It isn't the teacher's fault, it is the parent's fault. My parents were very supportive of me and made sure that I did well in school. Teachers can do nothing to help someone who is unwilling to learn. Parents need to instill the proper values into their children so that they will want to go to school, and want to learn. My parents go over homework with my younger siblings every night. That is the parent's job to spend that extra time, not the teacher's. I'm not saying the school doesn't have any bad teachers, they might or they might not, but firing every single teacher is unnecessary. My teachers and staff all work very hard to provide my school with a good education, it is available to those who want it. Teachers can't force people to learn if they don't want to.

February 25, 2010 at 1:13 am |
  37. Ruben Romero (8th grade, 11 years LAUSD)

Student success in the classroom requires 2 of the 3 parts of the triangle to be met. Student effort, active parents and effective teacher.
    Students can be forced to attend school but many choose to put so little effort to learn. No consequences from parents or from a broken home without parental guidance. I can say that over 80% of the parents that come to back to school night are involved in their child's education. Hence, these are my better students by far. Last year, 44% of my students were profecient in science and this was well above the local averages from surrounding schools. As a parent as well, I am the number one force in my child's education. Fire the teachers.....simply absurd. I would wager this school will have similar success in the years to come. Then there is always the charter school in an inner city that does well above the average and the teachers get so much praise. Remember, charter schools will usually take the best from the surrounding schools becuase their parents are involved in their child's education. Of course, their schools will be excellent. They don't have the marginal or misbehaving kid in thier classroom......

February 24, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  38. Jamie

As a teacher, I am waiting for the day that somebody in the government says, "Congratulations to the teachers for their strength and courage. Parents across the nation, look out." It a sad and hidden truth the much of the structure in a lot of students' lives occurs only in school, and any headway made in school is often erased once students with unfortunate circumstances go home. Am I blaming the parents? I suppose a little. Have you ever wondered what happens to kids born to teenage mothers or mothers below the poverty level? Come to some these underperforming schools, and before you point fingers, ask the appropriate questions first.

February 24, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Alex Winter

It's all about money. Rhode Island, like just about every other state in the union, is flat broke. Fire everyone and re-hire those who can't afford to move for lesser pay, cite low test scores for media CYA.

February 24, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Kay

denise, i can understand your frustration, but please help me here. you say the "teachers aren't spending enough time with student(s) to help them excell(sp)." please tell me how to spend more time with students. i teach senior english literature 6 times a day to a classroom of 18 – 24 learners who range from 2nd grade reading level to college reading level. i have 42 minutes with each class. i have one 35 minute planning period. i have one 20 minute lunch. i have 20 minutes at end of day. my doors are open during planning and after school. i have no students come either time for help. i have students who won't do homework. i have students who have no homes. i have students who are on drugs. i have students who are pregnant. i have students who work 8 hours per day 5 days a week. i have students who fall asleep in class. and to top it off, i finally hear back from parents during the last 9 week grading period when fear of a child not graduating is upon them. so, denise, please tell me what i am to do. if you are going to present a problem, please present a solution. teachers like me all over the country are eagerly waiting.

February 24, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Emmanuel Didier

Congratulations Frances Gallo, please come to Los Angeles Next! We need some cleanup!

February 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Vangie

I agree with Edward. I have been a teaching for almost 10 years as well. I have observed that students are really into non-academics and their interest are deteriorating. I haven't changed my standards and methodologies in teaching, but I"ve made some adjustments to cope with the changes in their learning behaviors.

February 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Ann

When will parents, students, and admnistrators take their share of the respnsibility for poor performance? When will school leaders realize that we teachers do the best we can with what we are are assigned and are yet expected to perform wonders? When will parents realize that they are the FIRST teachers? You don't want teachers, America. You want magicians.

February 24, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Amy

I think it is the teachers fault. It is their job to teach, not the Superintedents or the Board Members. In high school, I had a couple great teachers and a few good teachers. But most of my teachers were great at handing out homework and giving tests, but not much else. I remember one excellent math teacher that stands out in my mind because until I had him for Algebra, I thought I would never get it. He stood at the front of the class at the board for the entire hour and drove it into our heads. If we didn't get it the first time, he would do it over and over until we did get it. He explained it in every way he could to get us to understand. And to top it off, he wore crazy outfits everyday and made jokes to keep us awake and listening. He was energetic and engaging. Anyone could tell that he really cared about being a teacher. It's really too bad that there aren't more teachers like him out there.

February 24, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
  45. Edward (teacher of 10 years)

So who's at fault for the bad scores; the teachers in the classroom, the students who don't apply themselves, parents who don't check on their children, or the the school district, superintendent and board who directs and overall manages the teachers and is suppose responsible for the education of the students in the district. It's not just teachers that are involved or responsible for the situation!

February 24, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  46. Denise Barlow

If the firings are "drastic" then why are the teachers being let go? I mean they claim to have a 21% rise in reading and 3% raise in math scores, so what's going on?
    IMO, teachers nationwide aren't spending enough time with student to help them excell. It was painfully evident in the schools my own children attended. I totally understand teachers needing more pay for the work they do but maybe they should actually do the work.

February 24, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  47. dimitrios

Congratulations to Frances Gallo for her strength and courage.
    Teachers across the nation look out.......

February 24, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  48. Richard

Here is another instance where poor student performance is shoved off on the teachers. Evidently it is not enough that the teachers present the information during their normal school hours but they are expected to default parents as well. How much time did the parents spend helping their children? It would seem to me that if the teachers were doing such a bad job that it is probably because their supervisors and board were failing to do there job also. Lets make a clean sweep – fire them all. But that will never happen. Were the teachers expected to work extra hours without extra pay? This is typical of how management handles problems – don't address the core problem – no parent involvement. Put it all on the substitute parent teachers and then fire them when they can't fix the problem.

February 24, 2010 at 11:43 am |
  49. Mary Washington

Some of those teacher had been there for twenty years, I understand, and had just begun to see 3% increase in math scores, in my opinion would not be acceptable and warrants pink slips.

February 24, 2010 at 11:31 am |