February 3rd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/03/10

Sweat lodge guru James Arthur Ray is arrested and charged with manslaughter in connection with the three deaths at one of his events last October. We have the breaking news. Plus, new developments in the case of the American missionaries accused of child trafficking in Haiti.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori

Anderson. Good night. Sweet dreams.

February 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  2. starr formerly known as vincent

Thank you and good night Anderson & Enitire Team 360. Another really great show!

Good night fellow bloggers, Dodie, Emily & David too (and other friends).

A collision of two astroids? I'm with you Anderson...they want us to think that.
    Who is Snookie? Thanks for the laughs!

February 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Emily

Have a great night Anderson, 360 Team, Megan, Martina, Dodie, Starr, Gabriela, Heather, & Bloggers!

Great show tonight Anderson!
    I don't know about that shot ...who is she again????

See you all tomorrow!

February 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Dodie, Irvine CA

Good night Anderson Cooper, 360 team, Emily, Starr, A. Smith, Gabriela and other bloggers. Excellent reporting!! Thanks
    Have a wonderful week
    ~*~ Enjoy ~*~

February 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Danielle - Los Angeles

Snooki is uber-tacky. She looks like a carrot in a wig with her orange spray on tan.

February 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Lori

I hardly recognise Snookie.

February 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Danie T.

I just hope that the world realizes that Haitians are great people it's those opportunists and unscrupulous in power that won't let them go anywhere – they reign by keeping the people ignorant, uneducated thus in poverty – they should be ashamed of themselves

February 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  8. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Thanks for joining up tonight; very pleased that Bill Clinton will be devoting more time to Haiti's recovery. He and Hillary have cared deeply about Haiti for most of their adult lives; as you know, their honeymoon was in Haiti.

February 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Adelaide

Great show! Please stay focused on Haiti!
    Thank you& good night Mr. Cooper!
    Good night boggers!

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  10. LisaL -Canada

i do not know who that is. i must be living under a rock.

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Lori

I think that Snookie is interesting.

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

That looks like a starfish from outer space.

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Sharon Hastings

I thought it was the balloon boy.

February 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  14. Vivian _ Montreal

That UFO is probably something that exploded years ago and we're just seeing it shine it's light now.

Good Night Anderson, AC360 crew, CNN and fellow bloggers!
    great news, great comments as always!

February 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Jasper

Wow . . . milktoast only?

February 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think it is better to have random questions instead of the screened ones. There is nothing wrong with asking different questions on multiple subjects especially when it comes to asking those questions of our president

February 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Martine

The silence of the Haitian Government is another example of their lack of responsibility and their lack of competence. The International Community is Haiti's only hope.

February 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

@ Claus, Dodie, thanks for your comments, There is a expression that say: "The respect to the rights of others, is the peace!!!"(I think thats the right translation to english) :o)

Good night Anderson, Dodi, Claus, Emily, and everyone see ya tomorrow!

February 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Vince

Anderson – welcome back to blogging. It's actually good to see an AC360 face on the blog.

February 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Kaye

It looks like the U.S.S. Enterprise! Going warp, obviously.

Anderson should get into Star Trek. His geeky references would be so much funnier.

February 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse, "I'm tired of people blaming the US for their own failings."

I agree with you, but, from what I understand, the west didn't even really criticize the corrupt Haitian government. They just allowed it to continue to abuse its people.

February 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Dodie, Irvine CA

Very interesting picture. Looks like a comet to me... Ok Anderson.. tell us what it is...

February 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  23. Florentina

Anderson you are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I commend the CNN team and production staff for the outstanding Haiti coverage. Anderson, Dr. Gupta and all the other Reporters covering Haiti are excellent professionals and passioante on what they do.
    Thanks for your courage and dedication!

February 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Isabel Siaba

Good night Anderson, David (Indiana) and bloggers!

Good rest friends!!!!

February 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  25. al

as a Haitian American I would like to thank you AC for your extensive coverage of the tragety going on in Haiti. Please continue to do so as long as you can.

February 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Great point Anderson. It is a Cylon raider!

February 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Adelaide

@David, Indiana,
    I also have a hard time believing these missionaries had good intentions.

February 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Dodie, Irvine CA

WOW what a picture.. a UFO??? now I can't wait until Anderson tells us what the picture is. Looks like a comet to me!

February 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Claus

Hello Mr Gergen,
    I agree with you that the President's going out and taking questions in this forum is not the greatest strategy, especially since this session with the Democrats appeared more as a stage for them to please their constituents.

February 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  30. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Haiti needs a strong support from all nations for its nation-building. It seems to me as if the country must be re-established from the basic infrastructure ground-up, fresh waters, electricities, food.. Every haitian must be recruited and employed by UN or whatever international aid envoyed sent there before entering into a private sector employment

February 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  31. Cessy-Chicago

Excellent point! by David Gergen. The president should do more and talk less...I mean, they already spent a lot of time campaigning/talking. NOW is the time to make things happen!

February 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  32. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana
    You are right. There is no need to remove the Haitian children from their country and it certainly would appear that it was not for their own good.

@David Gergen-great remarks, especially the "listening" part. Also the taking charge and governing too.

The other gentleman makes an excellent point about "spin". He's right, the only way to break through is to have these open talks.
    Really good panel discussion tonight and positive too.

February 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  33. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@David Gergen, great point. All Obama has done in the last year is talk. His accomplishments are insignificant despite having a supermajority in Congress.

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  34. Clarence Sacramento

Haiti Disaster & their Governments Inability:

I heard a report about the US aid over the last decade was two (2) billion dollars. Is that true? If so why is the Governmnent without infastructure or resources?

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  35. A. Smith, Oregon

@ Mike, the stat's I looked at was over 90% for Aristide the first democractically elected President of Haiti and its most popular leader.

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I thought he was liked by the majority of the people. If not, then they really do not have anyone they like! So sad!

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Marie Wilson

An honest exchange is the only way in which people are going to start trusting the government again. Accountability is key. In my job, I have to be accountable for what I do, the same should go for the government.

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Lori

People really appreciate being listened to. Sometimes they just want to feel like they are being listened to.

I agree with David Gergen. The President needs to be a doer.

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Jody

Love the political positioning..
    Too funny!
    As if anyone really wants to vote another politician into office when we are loosing jobs, kids are getting sub-par educations, and insurance companies decide my level of health care – why do I want another follower in congress to mis-represent me?

February 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  40. LisaL -Canada

anderson's quite right - about the brits - it is very invigorating

February 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  41. Dodie, Irvine CA

If the Mega corporatist economic system stopped paying all those lavish-extravagant bonuses, they could hire millions of Americans.

February 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I do love to watch our pres. Obama and democrats ask a questions and answer talked about everything, I watch him this morning. But I agree with Anderson and David G!!!! they are so funny men!

February 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  43. Claus

We are our own lobbyists when we vote.

February 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  44. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Independents elected Scott Brown in MA in total opposition to Obama's policies.

February 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Brittany, Arlington, VA

Could Obama please have a joint Republican/Democrat Q and A please? Does everything have to be partisan?

February 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  46. Cessy-Chicago

Anderson...yeah, me too! I always wonder if the questions presented to the Presidents have been "screened"....No wonder they seem to know how to "best" answer those questions!

February 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  47. Danie T.

You are so right Gretchen thank you for saying some of the things I wanted to say myself about the Haitian government

February 3, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  48. LisaL -Canada

ugly and real ... what a way with words

February 3, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  49. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

I completely agree and well stated. We need to always respect other countries and abide by their laws and cultures...

Its called respect!

February 3, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Linda in Arizona, "There are a lot of naive people who want someone else to tell them some spiritual "truth" that they think they can't discover on their own."

I agree 100 percent! I am not a particularly religious person, but I think people need to look within themselves for spiritual enlightenment. No human being has the magic formula for that.

Unfortunately, there are way too many false prophets and weak minds out there. These people should have channeled their time and money in a constructive, less selfish direction like helping the less fortunate.

February 3, 2010 at 10:49 pm |