February 3rd, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 02/03/10

Sweat lodge guru James Arthur Ray is arrested and charged with manslaughter in connection with the three deaths at one of his events last October. We have the breaking news. Plus, new developments in the case of the American missionaries accused of child trafficking in Haiti.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

One could ask where has the Haitian government been the last 200 years? This tragedy just points out that the country has been a failed state since it's inception.

February 3, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  2. Vince

The kids are always the vulnerable ones and they must be protected – no bones about it! Thank God this incident was caught it time.

February 3, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Yes that's a good question, why didn't the see about establishing an orphanage in Haiti instead of taking those children out of the country, but also why did they gather up so many children who had parents. Even with good intentions this does not show much concern for assuring the children's best interests are their very first priority.

February 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Rose

It seems people ie James Ray, Jim Jones start out with the right intentions.They then realize their followers are dissatisfied,unhappy people & are easily swayed. They become power hungry & money hungry knowing their followers will do almost anything they suggest. They potray allencompassing caring people on the outside while thy.re counting the$$ all the way to the bank.

February 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba

Great question: Where is Haiti's Government? and more

How they are working and structuring the reconstruction?

February 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Danie T.

Good evening all,

Yes Mr. Spiritual has to answer to some questions – he showed no concerns whatsoever about the victims it seems that all he cares about is the money that he's making from the people – he deserves some type of punishment...

February 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Renee

@ Mike: I understand. Trust me when I say I am not "willfully blind" however, I do know there are many, many agencies working to do lots of good work in Haiti. Maybe some of the real devil government officials are no longer with us.

February 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

@Dodie – Thank you for your kind remarkds.

February 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Lori

I can not keep up with all of the facebooking, tweeting, emailing and my work also.

February 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

It is embarrassing, because we think other countries are like the USA and we just assume.

February 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Kimberly, IL

Glad Powell finally realizes that times have changed, I wish other elected leaders would think so too!

February 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Adelaide

Nice of you to join us on the blog Anderson!

February 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Gail Duncan

Shock, Powell agreed! About time.

February 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Starr

you stated: Mr. Ray was a money grabbing, egotistical man who should have been reported a long time ago.

Perfect! Exceptional! Exactly what I think!

February 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Jean-Marie

What is the Haitian President Preval doing about all of this?

February 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Cessy-Chicago

I heard Anderson use Twitter... does this make you "hip" then? hahaa..

February 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Lori

Do not let teenagers intimidate. Otherwise, they will take advantage of every situation.

February 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Anthonia-Bay Area!

I sadly agree...Tweeting is for older people and for celebrities. Not for teenagers like myself. I prefer Facebooking.

February 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yup! I agree!!!!

Anderson and Karl,
    you have good point!!! 🙂

February 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Jean-Marie

What is the president doing about all of this?

February 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Jody

Its amazing the wisdom that age can bring to people – Even Mr. Powell –
    Glad to see he's joining the rest of the adults in this country 🙂

February 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Sabrina in Los Angeles

It seems a lot is coming out in the wash this week.

About time that James Arthur Ray was arrested for killing those 3 people in the sweat lodge...now what about the previous ones?

On this "missionary" group, had a feeling their intent was not so innocent. Amazing what people do under the guise of religion. Those children need to be maintained IN COUNTRY not taken out, but I said that yesterday as well.

I think more will come out over the next week with both of these people.

wow.

February 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Emily

@Gabriela Vaughan,

I agree with you!
    It really eerie how those that seem like they have the Very best intension's can be the worst! (and they often appear right when people are at their lowest point!)

February 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Gabriela Vaughan from Nicaragua

It is embarrassing, because we think all countries are like the USA and we just assume. Nicaragua... very beautiful country!

February 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Adelaide

I just wonder: why would they go to DR to build an orphanage? why not build an orphanage in Haiti?

February 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Jennifer - AZ

'tweeting is lame.' That's funny. Even the new stuff we're too old for.

February 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  27. Mary

I think that politicians are finally remembering who put them there, their constituents. November isn't too far off.

February 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  28. LisaL -Canada

i have always admired Powell - he is a very wise and respected man

February 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  29. starr formerly known as vincent

@Dodie & Emily

I only now saw your posts on plastic for a sweat lodge.

Yes! Heated plastic, depending on what kind it is, can be Very Toxic.

February 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Starr

I find it very disturbing too. Excellent expression. I wanted to say last night that you are always kind and gracious. I think I lost it as I forgot to hit the send button 🙂

February 3, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Renee, unfortunately a large portion of any aid intended to rebuild Haiti will end up in the pockets of corrupt officials.

February 3, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  32. andersoncnn

evening everyone... sorry im late to the discussion...

February 3, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Vivian - Montreal

SOS villages do a great job providing help..a home, an education to orphans! They make all the kids in each of the homes feel as if they are all a big family.

February 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Joseph Blake

I was wonder if the people who allegedly were trying to allegedly adopt the children of Haiti illegally were only adopting the children to people of only the Babtist faith?

February 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Rob

There are many great teachers that don't rely on gimmicks.

February 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Renee

Each nation is a little different on how they arrange the sweat lodge. However, it is a spiritual ritual. We use wood, we are northern California. Plains probably use animal skins.... I can not talk for other tribes, only my own. I am sure others in here can let you know too.

February 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Cessy, bribing Haitian police is just the normal way to get things done there.

February 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Jean-Marie Postemus

There are no words that can explain how encouraged and thankful I am of the whole CNN crew for helping out Haiti like this, especially Anderson Cooper, and Sanjay Gupta. All of these survival stories have made me feel so much better and filled me with so much hope for Haiti and its future.

When Anderson had helped carry that young boy out of all the chaos it touched me that he had cared enough to do so although he was bleeding very heavily

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

As I said yesterday, I believe these people were taking advantage of the chaos in Haiti. They must have gotten legal advice from someone about what was needed to bring these children back to the US.

It is unbelievable to think that any organization could be this naive.

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Cessy-Chicago

I'm very happy that CNN is closely monitoring this group. Great reporting!

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Jennifer - AZ

I think most watching the news would like run over to Haiti and make sure those kids get a home. No matter how well intentioned, these self-righteous people had no right to decide where these kids should be. And completely irresponsible to think they could just rent a hotel and care for all those children between them.

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  42. Isabel Siaba

"The intention was to help" but when we are in a foreign country, we must be aware and respect the local laws

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  43. Molly

Could someone politely explain to me what the difference is? 60 plus Haitian orphans were scheduled to leave on a chartered jet from the airport in Port au Prince. About 12 children were not allowed to leave due to lack of proper paperwork. Those children were sent back to the Foyer de Sion Orphanage. The other children left on the plane for the U.S.. Why in that situation, were the adults not suspect for trafficking?

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  44. starr formerly known as vincent

This situation of the church people in Haiti is now disturbing.

It seems that they knew what the law was and proceeded anyway.
    They said they were going to stay in a hotel in DR and then build an orphanage there. Hmmm

It's so sad that these people may be bogus.

God bless and keep the children in Haiti safe and fed.

February 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  45. Renee

Amen! Let's help them rebuild Haiti and build a better nation!

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Jody

Its a shame that the children of Haiti are having to endure the manipulations of outsiders.

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  47. Emily

@Megan,

"That is very serious kidnapped orphanage children as trafficking!"
    I agree!

These are great points here by Karl & AC.

Why are they "doing their own thing" as Karl just said.

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  48. Theresa

In my opinion the church group that attempted to take the Haitian children to D. Republic knew exactly what they were doing. They didn't need to follow Haitian law sice they were following God's law. Maybe they thought they were the chosen!!! If they are allowed to leave without any punishment-they should be deported & never allowed to visit Haiti again.I am so tired of do-gooders thinking they way is the right & only way.

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  49. Adelaide

I agree with Anderson, there are other ways to help those kids in Haiti.

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  50. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ Emily

Thanks! You are very kind!

February 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |