January 26th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/26/10

Tonight on 360°,  what's being down to try to find the nearly 5,000 missing Americans in Haiti.  Plus,  Dr. Sanjay Gupta reports on the damage to one of Haiti's medical schools and how it could impact the country's health crisis. We also continue our special report "The Stimulus Project". See how your tax dollars are being spent in hopes of boosting the economy.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. ted in portland

It would have been so easy for Lauren Bruno to find someone to blame for the painful uncertainty she and her family have endured. Her courage and generosity of spirit responding to AC's last question, spoke volumes about the father she lost.

January 26, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

My company is just starting to distribute protein shakes to Haiti.

January 26, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Larry

Are they collecting dna from the dead for possible familial relationship cataloging later?

January 26, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Renee

Okay, I am with Anderson on these mass graves. The only thing besides memories and photos that a person has to remember their dead loved ones is their grave. It's bad enough for folks to be buried together but for folks not to be covered with dirt is just a disgrace.

January 26, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Lori

Hi everyone. Isn't Anderson wonderful?

January 26, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Emily

Why are there not enough people and specialists there in Haiti helping to do both?

With all the money that has been donated, and the help, MDs, food, etc. why is there not people doing both?

January 26, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Vivian montreal

Why are people getting 1 meal every couple of days in some areas, while others are given bags for a week's meal?

January 26, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

I have been houded by companys trying to get me to sign up for "grant". I am disabled and unable to work. I have no need of any "grants'".

I really appreciate CNN's efforts to track where the stimulus money is going, because there certainly is Big efforts to get that money out to people by certain companys whether you deserve a gov. grant or not!

January 26, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Janet,

"How can a leader of a country live in a palace when most of the people live so poorly. "

Can you believe that they are already talking about rebuilding it?

January 26, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  10. Linda Gadoury

It's very upsetting to me that the Haitian Gov. Doesn't get involved in the matter of his country especially with the uncaring way they handle their poor dead people.I feel like they ask so much of us and even feel criticized more than appreciated I am starting to feel as if the burden is on us and that they have expectations that we should and we are obliged to help while they are laid back it brings out mixed emotions in me
    Linda Gadoury

January 26, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

I do think that if food and water were given out earlier after the earthquake, there probably wouldnt be the violence of trying to get food and water now. People are desperate now and desperation brings out violence

January 26, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Janine from PA.

Lets hope these picnic tables that they plan to buy are at least American made.

January 26, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Tzila

@Janet...I read today that someone considers rebuilding the "symbols" of Haiti as the most important first thing to do. I translated that as "the palace".

January 26, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Chris H.

Where are the big-dollar USA pharmacutical companies? Can't they supply needed medicines for Haiti? The Haitian garment industry needs rebuilding, can or are the big brands helping with their recovery?

Regular people are contributing, isn't it time the big companies – especially the medicine producers kick in? I'd love to hear what they've done.

January 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  15. Dawn from RI

Anderson, I watch you every night, your coverage is beyond excellent. CNN has had the best coverage of the devastation in Haiti. Keep up the great work, and please go back to Haiti in 3-4 months when they really need our support to rebuild.

January 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Cynthia, NC

Toyota is about to have a marketing nightmare on their hands.

January 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  17. Gabriela from Nicaragua

Good Evening everybody!!!
    I am crying since I saw at the begining of the 360 tonight edition, the mass Graves and how 15 days after the Quake nobody do nothing to at list, give all this people a fair and Appropriate death!

January 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  18. Kimberly

The images in the begining of the program cannot leave my mind. No citizen of this earh should have to be disrespected in death like this. These poor people more than likely led such a hard and desperate life while they were living, it is disgusting to me that they now have to be buried like this; you cant really even call it burying. It's more like dumping, without any thought or respect.

Thanks Anderson and the AC 360 crew for your coverage on Haiti. No other network compares to your work and dedication and no other journalist compares to Anderson. Keep up the good work!!

January 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Honestly, I don't see a problem with the mass graves. I do understand why it can be interpreted in many negative ways. Given the infrastructure strain on so many levels, what else can be expected? That said, the focus needs to remain on survivors and expending productivity on lost souls is a distraction, however unpopular that reality is.

January 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's good piece of Christaine..... Nice reportingin Haiti!

January 26, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Dodie, Irvine CA

@ CNN

You guys (Rock) I am very delighted to see your program on "how the stimulus money is being spent"

January 26, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It's great that CNN in investigating how the stimulus is being spent. I don't believe the White House claims at all on the number of jobs created. This will turn out to be a major scandal.

January 26, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Jana, Georgia, formerly from Indiana

Anderson, what those Haitians are doing to their own people is just awful. This must be one of the hardest stories that you have ever had to cover.

All of you need to take care over there. Keep up the great coverage and trying to get the government officials to talk with you.

January 26, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Janice Connelly Ocala,Florida

Scary..knowing that Human,s still exists that can think on that level.Anderson,I thought what you showed was powerful,and scary.However,the living has the right to know and a need to act so that it will not happen again.anywhere.My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones and to you Anderson and crew.I can only imagine what you are going through

January 26, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  25. Emily

@Starr,

forensic "specialists" is the word that I was looking for, thank you!

I would think that with computers, etc. – that would make it easier for them. - you are right about Katrina, however. I wonder if there was a quiet resolution with all those families?

January 26, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I hope Anderson and his colleagues are being careful as they continue to expose the sins of the Haitian government.

January 26, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  27. Janet

Anderson: Please keep the government of Haiti honest in ensuring that none of our donated dollars goes to rebuilding the Palace. How can a leader of a country live in a palace when most of the people live so poorly. It is disgraceful. Our donated monies must go to help the people. Also remember the animals. The Humane Society is actively helping the animals of Haiti. Thanks Anderson for being the "voice of humanity".

January 26, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  28. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I agree with the comments that they need to concentrate on the living. The dead will only be a disease threat if not removed. The resources are needed to feed and house those still alive. With or without a proper funeral the dead are dead. The living can still be saved.

January 26, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather – Spokane, WA
    You're right, I agree with you & have good point! 🙂

January 26, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  30. Renaie

@Kayla... they are barely what you could consider graves, they are more like piles. I know the Haitian government is overwhelmed and therefore understand the need for mass graves. However, they could be putting more effort into the burials so that at least the bodies are covered. How they have just left partly-buried people there is appalling.

January 26, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  31. Renee

A donut and a coffee or Two loaves of bread or Three dozen eggs or $4 per day or 80 per month. Unbelievable.

January 26, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Larry

Has there been a state of martial law imposed by the Haitian government?

January 26, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Dianne

The "mass" graves are not horrendous, that's life in a catastrophe. You have to move the bodies quickly especially in 90 degree weather, it's the smell, it's the bloating from body gases before they eventually explode. And, it's a matter of "disease" spread to the living through ground water contamination.

It's sad but it's real.

Now, move on!

January 26, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  34. Bruce

My sincerest compliments to you and Sanjay for your coverage. Also, what patience the Haitian people have in this tradegy. The good Lord really has given them strength.

January 26, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

Christian makes an exclellent point about Haiti garment industry!

One would hope that the garment industry would have some understanding re: Haiti's present situation and return to Haiti to support the rebuilding of their garment industry!

I know business is business, however, i'd like to think there is Humanity and compassion in business too. What comes around, goes around.

January 26, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's awful seeing the images from Haiti in your reports–the crushed buildings and mass graves. It must be indescribable actually being there. The people are very lucky to have you, though.

January 26, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Claus

Many companies have donated already. Perhaps the companies who buy from the garment company could donate to help get it going asap.

January 26, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Larry

January 26, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Colleen

Thank you, Anderson, for the story on the Hotel Montana and the interview with Lauren Bruno. Powerful stuff.

January 26, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Adelaide

Good evening everyone.
    I find those mass grave burial sites as undignified as the Haitian government itself.
    President Préval, as well as his ministers, appears to be "floating" somewhere in time between a distant past and a far-away future.
    They need a wake-up call....the sooner the better.

January 26, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Kristin Morris

Anderson: I think it's wonderful that you and CNN are still in Haiti reporting. This is what sets CNN apart from other news organizations. Your unwillingness to leave and leave the "story" behind will make a difference for the people of Haiti. And perhaps the U.S. citizens who are still there in the rubble.

January 26, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Annie Kate

While now is the time for the living and taking care of them, if Haiti doesn't bury its dead the dead bodies can become a source of disease as they decay for the living. Psychologically too it would be better if the dead were buried – I'm sure the living do not need a visible remainder of how many died in this quake.

January 26, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Emily

interesting piece here by Christiane!

January 26, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Amanda

Am I the only one who has noticed that the rescue and recovery efforts at the Hotel Montana seem to be way more intense than elsewhere?

Earlier on in the rescue effort (since we're into the recovery stage now), we saw more than one story where rescue efforts were abandoned at various places, after they could not hear the victims anymore or the sniffer dogs could not pick up anything.

Yet, these standards which were applied to Haitians have not been applied to the effort at the Hotel Montana. The effort there has not been abandoned and they are making the effort to at least find every body and give everyone the dignity of closure.

Why have these standards not been applied to the efforts to rescue and recover Haitians?

January 26, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Mandy

The situation with the mass graves is absolutely horrendous. No person should be treated in such a way. These people were shown no respect and no common decency in death. I mean really how much does it take to get a load of dirt and place it over these people?! Terrible...

January 26, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  46. starr formerly known as vincent

@Emily

That's a great question about forensic specialists! There are so many places, however, that bodies have been taken, i don't know how you could track them all down.

Remember Katrina? There were hundreds of bodies never claimed, much less identified! Ive never heard the resolution for those individuals.

January 26, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  47. Renee

Anyone know anything about sanitation? Any hope?

January 26, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I have really appreciated Anderson's tweets about this mass grave. It seems to have really upset him and rightly so. It is bad enough to see it on TV, but to be confronted with it in person must be difficult to handle.

January 26, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  49. joane

Hi AC, first I want to congratulate you for the hard work you doing in Haiti. Second, I would like to know if it is possible to watch the show online. Thank you! May God bless you.

January 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Renee

I find this dumping of bodies so strange. The government may be corrupt but there are lots of good Christian people in Haiti. I think I read 80% Catholic. Religious people believe in a proper burial. I am just thinking that the people are in so much shock that they can not deal with anything right now.

January 26, 2010 at 10:14 pm |