January 26th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Missing Americans in Haiti

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Nearly 5,000 Americans are feared missing in Haiti.

At least 17 Americans could be buried where the Hotel Montana once stood. Tonight, Anderson will talk with daughter of man who was staying at the hotel.

We'll also give you a look at the one industry in Haiti that has not been crippled by the killer earthquake. The garment industry. Christiane Amanpour visited factories where they make clothing that's sold in the U.S., at Gap, Old Navy, JC Penney and other retailers.

"The big danger for us is that buyers start to look somewhere else for production.. then we are dead if that happens," Georges Sassine, a garment factory owner told Christiane.

Tonight, we're also continuing our special report "The Stimulus Project." On the eve of Pres. Obama's State of the Union Address, our own Ali Velshi is looking at whether the plan to boost to the economy is actually creating jobs.

360's Randi Kaye is also tracking your stimulus money. Have you noticed those signs on the side of highways touting the construction work is funded by American Recovery and Reinvestment Act? Turns out in Ohio the big signs cost up to $3,000. So, Ohio is using stimulus money to tout how it's using the money. We're keeping them honest.

Join us for these stories and much more at 10 p.m. ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Cathy B.

I was absolutely horrified when I turned on your website this morning to read on how the survivors of this catastrophic earthquake still are having to wait to get food. Who the hell is in charge. How would they like to eat every three days. These are human beings. As an American I am so angry there is no organization. As someone who has donated to this cause I am even more angry. We give to this cause and all we hear is how they are still suffering. These people don't deserve this. To Dr. Gupta and Anderson I am humbled. In your covergage it was clear to me in your voices and faces and frustration if you could have done it all you would have. To bad your not in charge of getting food to the people who survived. I am sure it would have happened asap.

January 27, 2010 at 9:43 am |
  2. Paula

Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta deserve a lot of awards for what they have done in Haiti the past few weeks! You guys, and everybody else helping out, are heroes and we watch every night!! I just wish we could be there to help you all!!

With all the money donated, do the Haitian people not care to properly ID bodies, have burial ceremonies and cremate them in a respectable fashion, instead of throwing them on a landfill??

January 27, 2010 at 1:37 am |
  3. Nancy

I would like send my sympathy to all American's families that have a missing person or that already found dead in this unbelieveable Earth quake. I myselved is an Native Haitian, I grow up in the United State most my life, still don't have the couraged to understand what happen in Haiti for the pass two weeks.my heart goes out to the college students that are still missing also the teachers I'am praying soon God can open ways to get them out. I envy that as much as their families cause I some how undestand what they are going through. they are all heroes to me, they was doing something positive thats all I can say. I really would loved to care for one of these kids but I know it is so hard to get one here with me. I cry everytime I watch the news then tomorrow is another day hoping for a better news. Anderson you are the best, you just dont know how much I admire you for your good heart and honesty. God will protect you in Haiti since I notice that you are not scared anyway. 🙂 I got to go to sleep for work tomorrow. May the Lord be with you!

January 27, 2010 at 1:18 am |
  4. Marilyn Tbeur

This is horrible! I can't believe I'm seeing bodies that are suppose to be burried in mass graves, still there in the open! Goodness gracious, these people are human beings! These people were our brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, US citizens, Haitian citizens, citizens from other countries. How and why is this allowed to happen? WHO is in charge of this catastrophe? Someone should be responsible for these bodies! This is not the way our love ones are suppose to be treated! Even after death due to this tragedy. 5000 Americans missing, this number is steep!! I believe it might've been impossible for pictures to be taken of all of these poor people who lost their lives, but someone should've been taking pictures so that their families can see and Identify them. I guess the families are going to have to assume they love ones perished in the earthquake, when they don't see or hear from them. This is so heartbreaking, and most certainly a nightmare. Please wake me when it's over, as I think I'm still dreaming! May God bless them all! Thank you Anderson for your reports! You are a very strong person to do all you're doing. God bless you my friend!

Marilyn Tbeur, KC MO

January 27, 2010 at 1:11 am |
  5. Niomi

Hi AC 3600 Writers and AC

I'm just wondering if anyone remembers that among those being buried in the mass burials there are Americans as well. I remember someone don't remember who but it was a very short piece, and the guy was saying that they had just buried some people don't remember exact number but it was a good bit and he said that there were 4 Americans included.

Now I'm wondering if they know the names of these four Americans to let there families know that they died. If they did not know these are four families who are going to be searching for a long time.

Also there may be others who have been buried in those mass graves but how will they ever be found. I have no idea what the solution to finding out which Americans are already buried because uncovering the graves seem like to much.

I pray that God gives those affected the strength to move on in peace

Niomi

January 27, 2010 at 12:03 am |
  6. Bonnie Daves

I want to commend those rescue workers that use common sense in their efforts. HOWEVER, that said, I want to say to the others: Just because a 'tap, tap, tap' stops, it does not necessarily mean the person has DIED! People, particularly children, often have great adrenaline flow when faced with fear, especially in fight/flight response. Being trapped leaves flight to the birds (no pun intended), so the body fights to remain alert until hope steps in. I.e.: This adrenaline rush would probably continue UNTIL there is some relief through the belief their 'heroes' have arrived and will stay vigilant until they find them. The drop of adrenaline, at that point, would be so dramatic that a person might fall into a sleep, so deep, that the faint calls from their (believed/supposed to be) rescuers could not wake them, even for hours. STILL, it would ONLY be sleep, brought on by sheer exhaustion from the endless hours/days of remaining awake; hoping, praying, at first tapping/yelling/screaming for the help someone SEEMED to be going to give. Yet they walk away and the victims wake to find they have been forsaken.

January 26, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  7. Danny

The scene of the dead unburied and tossed like trash is very sad. I remebered after the asian tsunami, the dead were also burried in mass grave, but it was done in a much more organized and respectful way. I understand that in Haiti case, the corpses are burried under piles of concrete, but leaving them like that is just inhumane.

January 26, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Laisse Oscar

I would like to thank Anderson cooper first of all for being there putting his life on the line for my people my familly in Haiti and Dr sanjay gupta I commend all of you words cannot describe how much appreciat the work that you are doing my husband &son is living in Haiti they are ok but I'm still in a lot of pain because my country is slowly dying I pray for them for god to forgive our sins

January 26, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Annie Kate

Its terrible how many people have died/disappeared in Haiti in the quake. The scenes Anderson show of the piles of dead unburied is horrifying and should be buried. Mass graves shouldn't take that long and it not only would show respect for the dead but cut down on the chance of survivors getting a disease from the dead bodies. I hope the American dead at the Montana hotel are recovered so their families back in the state can know what happened to their loved ones.

January 26, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  10. Gabriela from Nicaragua

5,000 americans?? Oh my God, its a lot of people, I hope all of them are safe or at list that their families can recover their bodies!!!!!God bless them all!

January 26, 2010 at 10:05 pm |