January 22nd, 2010

Video: Haiti's new orphans

Anderson Cooper | BIO
AC360° Anchor

Filed under: Anderson Cooper • Haiti Earthquake
  1. pastor gail p. rutledge

greetings,
    tony i am concern about the haiti children being adopted by the american families. and especially taken them away from there culture and going into home totally away from there own. are we doing them justice. are these children being taken in to real good homes. i don't think this situation should be rush. i was also a adopted child and suffer many form of abuse. that went untold. until now i share as a motivational speaker for families. i also shared a mix house that left me confuse as a child. we must pray for these children. tony if i had the given means i would take them all. so they could be safe. i cry daily for the children. because i was once a haiti child. i pray these children are not going to be preyed on and become battered torn and abuse. i will continue my fight for the children. and i pray the haiti government and step up to protect the children. after all they are the real victims. because they are the most bonable.
    much love,
    much prayer

January 22, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  2. Amy

What can a person do to help these children directly, not through a huge organization with its own system/priorities (e.g.: Red Cross)? The children's needs are so immediate and overwhelming. Actually adopting a child orphanded by disaster will take miles of red tape and years. Is there a credible group currently dedicated to helping existing and new Haitian orphans?

Simply put, to which orgaization should I send my money and volunteer time? As the mother of an internationally adopted child, I go to bed teary-eyed each night after watching your reports. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and reporting.

January 22, 2010 at 10:02 am |
  3. Jasmine

All of CNN reporters, crew and staff are HAITI'S HEROES. GOD BLESS!

January 22, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  4. Claudia

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT STOP COVERAGE OF HAITI, It is so important. If you leave the minimal progress that has been made in these last few days, I have seen the airdrops and am horrified they are treating them like animals, but I understand that it's hard and they are doing what they can. I guess I wouldnt be as horrified about the drops if they were doing them from the beginning as a place to start. with the organization coming afterward but to just throw the flood down coming on the 2 week seems terrible.

I know you guys arent incharge down there but if Dr. Sanjay Gupta and the other reporters could please continue taking supplies to hospitals and clinics and orphanages. It would help them and you could be saving so many of the preventable deaths you are speaking about. Again , not sure if that is possible as many of you arent MD's but watching everynight, I think why does Dr Sanjay just go get these dr's and clinics the meds they need, and lastnight he did. I think we can easily say he helped to save hundreds of lives just by that one act.

I praise you for your coverage and hope that you will continue to report on it because many many many have left or are leaving as "breaking news" happens(ie mass. election, supreme court rulings on camp. finance, wall street bonus uproar, tiger woods sightings) All of which doesnt sound like "breaking news" to me.

thanks for letting me vent. and it probably wont go anywhere but the blog but who knows maybe someone will see it and make the right decision on this one, stay in haiti.

January 22, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  5. Tim Gibson

Actually, the forgotten helpless. What is going on with the aide in Haiti?

January 22, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  6. Sonia

Anderson,

I've been following all of your reports. I just want to say thank you for sharing with us. You have put a name behing each story. I am from Haiti and pregnant; right now I cannot be of any help. You are sharing news with a heart. Thank you for those stories. That would be wonderful to know how to adopt one of the earthquake orphans.

From Canada

January 22, 2010 at 9:24 am |
  7. Chanell

Dear Anderson is there any posibility that on CNN there can be a hot line etablished to get in contact with the adopting Agencies. You see we are from San Juan, Puerto Rico and we want to adopt a child from Haiti because we know this will get even worse for them but we just don't know where to start. Thank you for all you do.. We love your show.

Raul and Chanell

January 22, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  8. Lynn Ugland

My heart goes out to these children who are without a loved one to watch over them. I'm especially touched by the little boy Johnny. As a mother, I can't imagine one of my own being in such a horrible and frightening place. Is there any way you can get these children to one of the orphanages like Mission of Hope? If this little boy could get there, I'll be very willing to send more money to them to sponsor this child. I wish I had a way to get there to look over him or better yet, find a way to bring him home with me.
    I will continue to keep these children in my prayers.
    God Bless you for all you're doing.

January 22, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  9. Yoly

Does anybody know what do I need to do if I want to adopt a Haitian orphan? Any help will be appreciated!!

January 22, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  10. angela curry

hello anderson god bless you for highlighting the good things everyone is doing and the things that must be done better

January 22, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  11. Mr Cooper

I would love to Adopted a baby, How can I ? Please E-Mail me and let me know so I can save a life. Thank You DeAnn Cintron

January 22, 2010 at 8:22 am |
  12. Jim Corriveau

Hi,
    I would love to give a home to a orphan, from Haiti but can't find the people to talk to.
    Jim 850-728-1128

January 22, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  13. Bev

It is so so hard to watch these children suffer like this!! It's also very important to show the held back grief and frustration of the care-givers. I don't know how they hold it together like they do in front of the children, I couldn't do it I know, it's hard enough to hold back emotions in front of your own children let alone thousands of suffering children. Kudos to that young nurse and also to CNN and Anderson Cooper and Sanjay and all other journalists for excellence in reporting the human side of this disaster so thoroughly and honestly!!

January 22, 2010 at 7:26 am |