January 19th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/19/10

A woman found buried alive in Haiti, one week after the quake hit. Plus, we're tracking the aid. What's taking so long to get supplies to those who need it? And, we're awaiting the results in the U.S. Senate race in Massachusetts. Will the GOP win Ted Kennedy's senate seat? We'll bring you the vote totals.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Thomas Frauenshuh

I agree with KATHY, that someone needs to ask the pharmac. companies to send antibiotics and i.v. drips, etc, and surgical saws.
    Why not send out a plea to these big companies that have made profits for years on all the medications we have purchased. Now its
    time for them to help too.Anita, Ocala

January 19, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  2. Diana Burns

Anderson I feel your frustration. I am so frustrated by the lack of responsibility of those stalling the help that is needed. We appreciate you and what you do, and that you are confronting these people that are just dragging their feet. I donated and debated on if I should because not knowing if my donation would actually do any good. I figured that eventually my donation would get somewhere to help, but these people need help now. I just wonder how we act like the three stooges whenever there is something to be done. You however, are there doing what you can along with Dr. Sanjay who is remarkable. Can't President Obama do something to get this moving and getting these people at least from US there to help? God Bless you and the others who are doing something

January 19, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  3. Emily

@Kim from Texas,

this is where Anderson does his best reporting; and I think that his reporting is great all the time. He really does an amazing coverage in these kinds of scenes however. I have no idea how he can do it for so long, and the rest of the Crew. (I can only imagine the stuff that they are seeing on a regular basis that is not able to go on-air.)

January 19, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  4. Anna

Finally......Please let us know about the hotel!!!

January 19, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  5. Carol

I hope you and Dr. Gupta will continue to follow up on the question regarding the decision to swoop up a few children who as you said before were not in imminent danger at the risk of others who lay dying. Also, was that the only orphanage? If so, why was that one chosen over others?

And how did the Israelis manage to erect a viable makeshift hospital so quickly compared to the other countries, especially america who is a stone's through away from Haiti? Someone has to be accountable or if nothing else exposed.

January 19, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  6. Audrey / Mobile Alabama

Go Anderson, keep them honest in Haiti. It's about time someone landed on the lawn at the palace. They should be landing in every spot they can find. Get those doctors on the ground.

January 19, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  7. starr formerly known as vincent

@Anderson

Is there ANY word about the 6 American kids missing from the hotel? Please comment. Thanks

January 19, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  8. Heather - Spokane, WA

Good question Anderson........Where is the Hatian government in this?

January 19, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  9. Richard

I appreciate all the comprehensive reporting and the encouraging information about the success stories. However, much of the reporting is stating what is not being done. My point of view would be that everything that can be done, under the circumstances, is being done. It's very obvious that Haiti has a long road to recovery. Just possibly this is the best opportunity to rebuild to create a basic quality of life – there will be a price to pay.

For those that criticize the process that is trying to assist I would suggest that those individuals stop the criticism and make suggestions of how to do it better. Don't tear it down – improve it.

January 19, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  10. amy

is it true they are still allowing commercial flights but not medical equipment?

January 19, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  11. Paula, Colorado

The priority order for planes landing in Haiti does need to be re-thought–or at least more balanced.

January 19, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  12. Jennifer

I think that getting out those orphans frees up the place so the people running them can regroup and get the place taking in all the new orphans.

January 19, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  13. Judy R.

I think the big problem is the Haitian government is AWOL. They should have someone, anyone out there to collaborate with the US Army and get the ball rolling. They know the land, they know the people.

January 19, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Isabel! See you tomorrow night, HUGS! 🙂

January 19, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Perhaps the Haitian government is prioritizing food and water over medicine because they don't want the masses rioting and looting what's left. It seems the country is one spark away from an uprising. The injured won't riot, they'll just quietly die. I believe this is a shrewd calculation.

January 19, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  16. Caroline, Los Angeles

If the Dems try to get health care legislation passed without Brown they will pay for it. And if they don't they will pay for it. So they must do what is right and not worry about the fallout.

Quite frankly, I think most Americans are sick of the insurance companies and would like to see them be controlled.

January 19, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The Haitian government seems totally disorganized and clueless. Don't they have emergency plans for their country in times of disaster?

January 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There are great sacrifices that are being made. No life is greater than the other. You are right, Anderson!

January 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  19. Kim from Texas

@emily

"CNN has done a terrific job reporting from Haiti."

My family and I have also been glued to CNN. They are providing the very best coverage. I have checked out the other networks....and there is no comparison.

January 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  20. Emily

@Starr, with all the control that the pharmaceutical companies have up there, do you really think that anything is going to happen with them anytime soon?

those are pretty tight strings they have...power is money! (and influence.)

January 19, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  21. starr formerly known as vincent

Anderson & Dr. Gupta,

So much appreciate your discussions the last several days about medical care (or lack of it).

I can't imagine how frustrated you two (and the rest of the reporting team) is, being there seeing all of this happen in front of your eyes.

Good point about the orphans. You would have thought after Katrina, the USA and other countries would have learned more about disaster response.

@Emily, i agree with you.

January 19, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  22. Isabel - Brazil •

Good evening everyone – Anderson, David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

Anderson, Dr Gupta, Ivan and all team,
    Stay with God!

January 19, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

I do feel the legislation and public need to connect more, but as I said that seems to slowly happening

Was there another person rescued from the cathedral? They heard a cell phone, or a call was received from there? Was that the first call?

Oh text messaging?

It must be a welcome sight to see improvement in the situation.

Fractures too require follow up care. Dressing need to be changed. Wounds checked and washed.

January 19, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  24. Lori

Anderson, life is not fair.

January 19, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  25. Sara

And what about the children being orphanED because their only living relatives are dying a slow death? Save the living first

January 19, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  26. Dr Richard Pitts

Regarding amputations: In California, a group of physicians were trained to respond to people trapped in buildings – we learned to take off a leg in under a minute to remove the victim quickly if caught inside a building. If a leg or arm is crushed, the danger to the victim is all the muscle tissue that gets picked up by the blood stream and gets deposited into the kidney's causing fatal kidney failure.. So nearly 100% of those with crushed legs need to have them amputated.. a very sad situation. Tirage is important in terms of who is likely to be to be saved... not for the faint of heart to make such decisions..
    Respectfullly
    Dr PItts

January 19, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  27. LisaL - Canada

is anyone actually tracking the shipments of supplies? just curious ... i mean, if UPS and other delivery companies can tell you the specific GPS location of a christmas package, can they not track the route and current location(s) of emergency survival supplies to see where the bottlenecks are?

January 19, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,

"Why isn't this situation in Haiti being compared to Katrina more? It seems that the response is actually slower."

I agree, but I am also surprised at the lack of condemnation of the corrupt Haitian government. What did Preval and his predecessors do with the billions of dollars the international community has sent to Haiti? It obviously wasn't spent on its infrastructure or education system.

January 19, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  29. Adelaide

(Should the senate wait to have Brown seated before a vote?) Please forgive me to answer a question with another question: Would they wait or would that question come up if Martha was elected?

January 19, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  30. LisaL - Canada

some plants can live through extreme drought where others will whither, and many animals hibernate when some would starve ... why can the human spirit or soul not call on it's inner reserves when it is instinctual to survive?

January 19, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  31. amy

OMG why did they stop the rescue for the other 2 sought survivors????????????? They need to sleep sometime. Does not mean they expired. This makes me sick.

January 19, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  32. Joyce, Florida

I don't know folks. In a disaster it's so hard to coordinate efforts. All I can think of is the poor guy sitting in the control tower saying, "Who do I let in next, Doctors Without Borders or President Clinton?" Seeing the distruction has caused me to re-think our family emergency plan. How many days can I plan on taking care of myself?

January 19, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  33. Charmaine

Only people who have been to Port Au Prince (on a normal day) can understand how difficult all the relief effort must be, and how frustrating. I am amazed how well it's going, how strong the Haitian people are holding up, in spite of all the setbacks. Thank you ac360 for staying and reporting the real story. We still want to know what's going on in Haiti. Love you Haiti and your beautiful people.

January 19, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  34. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

@Sandra 11:27 PM .I read that the Lilly company and one of the other large pharmaceutical companies were donating a million dollars worth of medications each.

January 19, 2010 at 11:35 pm |
  35. Lori

I think that Haiti is different from Katrina because people had time to respond to a request from FEMA to evacuate. In the case of an earthquake, there was no warning or time to retreat to a safe place.

January 19, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  36. Alex Bella

Thank you Anderson and Dr. Gupta for your incredible compassion while covering this disaster. You have treated those you have encountered with genuine concern.

That is a truly special quality you both have. You are giving these people the dignity they deserve, often in their last moments of life.

It was great to see you reporting how dire the MEDICAL supplies getting to the doctors and nurses is.

Hello Rene Preval where are you???? You abandon your country when they most need you.

January 19, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  37. starr formerly known as vincent

@David, Indiana

I agree, there are many ways that the health care bill can be reconciled.
    I also agree that follow up medical care is Urgent. But i do not believe there is Any excuse for the lack of drs., medicine and surgical sites. I am frustrated beyone belief with the "aid" efforts so far. I can see No excuse after 7 days!

January 19, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

What has the Haitian government been doing besides sitting around card tables?

January 19, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  39. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

January 19, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  40. judy

ANderson you asked what happened in Mass tonight. I will tell you ,our citizens have spoken do not blame Coakley 's loss on mistakes she made in her campaign although there were some .This will send a message to our leaders YOU work for Us so pay attention!!

January 19, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  41. Emily

@Starr,
    Re. Health Care,
    I have no idea what it is that they want to pass!
    I know that there are still Dem.s in the House that are not happy, etc.
    For me, I've not understood much of what they are talking about. I've read and understood "Charles Dickens" 🙂 much quicker!

I think that it would be a really bad idea to do anything until Brown got there. It would be a big slap in the face to the people of Massachusetts if they didn't wait.

January 19, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  42. peter

Hi Anderson, i hope you guys are doing ok out there. Question other than you and people that follow you, is no one else upset about medical equiptment not being allowed to land when some congressman can charter a plain at a spur of the moment and Pres. Clinton and S.S Clinton and land a plain there? The U.N. has a history of screwing things up and allowing the Haition government to call the shots when they can't even take care of the people during any other time just doesn't make sence.

January 19, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  43. stu

it's not rocket science...build a compound...secure the compound...drop supplies into the compound...distribute

January 19, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  44. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

@Devna CNN .I don't think they should wait for Brown to be seated to vote.I'm from Mass. and NOT happy that he won.

January 19, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  45. Sandra

Anderson,
    Have any of the drug companies offered to send needed medications to Haiti? Since they make so much money off of the American public, I would hope they would supply the country of Haiti in their time of need.

January 19, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  46. starr formerly known as vincent

@Emily

I believe that Dem's and Repub's should continue to work on Health Care Ins. Reform. It is badly needed!!

As an RN (who also worked as a consultant with Ins. Cos.), i strongly support acceptance of pre-existing conditions, no caps on health care, coverage for the millions without it.

Health care costs are rising rapidly and will soon, if Not addessed, be only accessable to rich people only. And workers will see more of their paychecks go to health care Not salaries.

January 19, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  47. Lori

I am so glad that the buried are being sought out still.

January 19, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  48. monte

1.clear landing zones, dropin 82nd airborne troops for security, establish medical hospitals on palace lawn, with water and food distribution sites, medivac injured to hospital at palace with serious cases air-lifted to the hope ship, clear main roads from both directions the airport,palace,and port then blanch off form main roads, recon out lying areas, and deliver support duh duh

January 19, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  49. Kim from Texas

@sam
    You really would think that lessons were learned from Hurricane Katrina. But it's obvious there is still so much confusion. Lets just look at the water situation. Why is it taking so long to get water to the people? OMG it has been 7 days now!!

January 19, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, I doubt it. I don't think it is just about the health care issue, I think it has to do with the lack of transparency as well. People are having buyers remorse.

January 19, 2010 at 11:24 pm |