AC360 Wednesday 8p

Investigators are analyzing data from the Bluefin-21. The latest on the search for Flight 370 live on AC360.
January 6th, 2010
  1. Mike

Mr. Kamen is right !!!.... There has not been a debate on healthcare and that federal/state and local government hinders innovations by vertue of its bureacracy! Thanks Anderson for having a true thought provoking conversation with Mr. Kamen that didnt have your left leaning political agenda!

January 7, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  2. skip littell

As a parent of 2 participants in the FIRST robotics program I have seen and heard Dean make his pitch many times of the years and it never fails to inspire. Go Dean! Go FIRST! Go to USFIRST.ORG and find a regional competition near you this Spring. You won't be sorry.

January 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  3. James Chapkis

Made my day if not my year. Best interview in a long time.
    Thank you for the positive message, I needed it. good luck with all your endevors, please let me know what I can do. I am ready.

January 7, 2010 at 11:35 am |
  4. Alex

I wouldn't be so sure about the future innovations. And there is why.
    The number of innovations per person is in steady decline once it peaked at the beginning of the century. All low-hanging fruits are eaten, physics spin their wheels for a good thirty years.

January 7, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  5. Tunde Bello

As a scientist working in the healthcare field I found the interview with Dean Kamen fascinating and compelling. His insights into how the future will unroll as well as his analysis and warnings on our lack of focus on the important challenges facing us were right on the money. I also have to commend Anderson Cooper and CNN for devoting a full 20 minutes to this topic, we need more of this.

January 7, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  6. Dawson

I believe that Dean Kamen neglects the role of government in how these inovations that individuals make are implemented and are maximized for the benefit of society. His examples of Thomas Edison and his invention of the lightbulb neglects the goverments bulding of the electrical infrastucture in supplying the necessary electricity. How the Wright brothers invented the airplane but it was the government that buit the needed airports for them to be a viable means of mass transport and while it was Salk who invented the polio vaccine it was delived by goverment health care system.
    The patent office is bogged down with the number of patents that it needs to processed, a lot of them are crap that need to be weeded out. The same with how the F.D.A must work to protect people from harm from untested devices and drugs.
    The argument that the health care debate is only about who will bear the cost is countered by a comment I heard that because there will be no exemptions to getting health care insurance because of preexisiting conditions, it will now make the private insurance companies start to take an overiding interest to keeping people healthy to maximize profits then by denying benefits which is now their business plan.

January 7, 2010 at 2:22 am |
  7. Fallon Massey

Kamen's out to lunch, but not as far out as Anderson was when he interviewed him.

Keeping the MYTH of the innovation of the private sector alive is a HUGE disservice to America. He was right about the private sector being risk averse, but that's the WHOLE point, and why all innovation comes from socialism.

Examples:
    1. The public highway system – tell me what private firm would have done that?
    2. The transistor, upon which the entire electronic revolution is built, came out of the Space Program. Tell me the private firm that would have built the spacecraft?
    3. Satellite Communications – CNN would be dead without satellites, so what private firm would do that?
    4. The INTERNET – thank goodness we didn't have to depend on private industry to create this great tool. Yes, the internet comes to you straight out of the socialist, can't do anything government.

Where do you guys get your degrees from, or better yet, what planet do you hail from. Wake up and conduct an interview like you've lived here for awhile.

I could go on for days, but if you don't get the point, and you don't seem to, ONLY government is willing to take the RISK to innovate at a large enough scale to create things that change lives.

What has Kamen done to change your life?

January 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  8. Charlicia

My husband is an Aeronautical Engineer. He worked tirelessly in our basement doing calculations and writing "books" (about 5 or 6) with ideas on how to solve problems in the airplane industry. Because of his work, for which he was recognized, in cases, worldwide, our three children inherited a wonderful work ethic. One child, a girl, is an engineer but she uses her math skills to write computer programs to help businesses. She has a concentration in computer science. Our son, also, wanted to be an engineer but changed his mind and became instead a paramedic. BUT – the work ethic endures with our children. I am always amazed at what they do, how many hours they work and how easily they understand today's world. I hated my husband working like that. It meant stealing time from our family, I had no husband, he was always in the basement, never at the dinner table. Anderson, I think I have personally experienced a small bit of what Mr. Kamen was talking about. It was their Father who gave our children the example to work hard and look for new ways to do things. Our daughter who is the engineer has also been recognized in her chosen field. Maybe her children will see and learn that ethic as well. Amazing to think that some of our own family may contribute to what the twenty first century may be about. Wonderful food for thought, your show last night!!

January 6, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  9. Ellie Ahi

I watched this interview last night. enjoyed it and 100% agreed with him.

Please read my latest book (outsourcing everything but the kitchen sink) by Michele Ellie Ahi. Most of the jobs in US are gone for good. I present solutions, which I hope Americans (We all) listen to. We must go back to innovation but can only do it through a solid education. Hope all Americans get to read this book. I purposely priced it very low so all people can afford to buy and read it.

Available via Amazon.com – The kindle version is also available at Amazon. I will be glad to send you few copies, if need to.

Best,
    Ellie Ahi.

January 6, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
  10. Michael J. Levy

This was a great interview and Anderson Cooper is to be commended for having Dean Kamen on. Why doesn't President Obama listen to people like Mr. Kamen. The worst economic crisis that we have just come through might have been solved if we would listen to people like Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Steve Jobbs, Lee iacocca and others who know how to solve problems and make decisions that get the results needed. We need an independent panel for innovation and major issue problem solving. We are the greatest country in the world but as Dean Kamen states we need to focus on education, science and technology. We seem to be our own worst enemy. If our financial resouces were directed right here at home instead of fighting wars all over the world we would be safer and healthllier. We have the greatest democracy in the world but our congress is a disgrace the way they broker a deal to get something passed.

January 6, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
  11. pat george mcdonald

As a retired School administrator I was impressed with Mr. Kamen in respect to his outlook on future youth education- and in particular his look at world trends. There is no doubt that we need to learn how to 'turn on' our young students to become the best they can be. We need for them to dream and believe in a better future in the world outside. To do that we need teachers who can not only teach the basics well but also to motivate their students to really believe in themselves- that all things are possible. We need problem solvers, creative, articulate young people who believe in themselves, who will not cave in over temporary drawbacks in their world and the world outside. We need to do much more than just leaving them with a prayer that " no child will be left behind."

January 6, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  12. Jennifer - Michigan

Great interview. Very thought provoking...maybe that's part of the reason why we're all so fascinated by science fiction shows and movies. Mr. Kamen is right – there will be new innovations that we cannot comprehend right now. Nano technology will change the world one day. And so it goes....very cool.

January 6, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  13. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Anderson,
    Great interview with Dean Kamen. We need more people like this in the world , every good wish for all his projects.

January 6, 2010 at 9:41 am |
  14. John Thawley

Wow.... what a fantastic 20 minutes of television. This is quality content. I'm completely blown away by Dean Kamens logic, clarity and optimism. Well done!

January 6, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  15. Linda Boyer Bealeton, VA

It's a man like this that makes me stop everything and listen to some good news for a change, I wish he lived next door to me. Anderson Cooper and Dean Kamen on a split screen video, what could be better?

January 6, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  16. Tim Gibson

Mr. Kamen is correct, our government is more of a problem than a solution in moving forward into our future and the problems we face. The aspiration for innovation has been surpassed by leadership who are controlled by special interest groups who stand to profit without regard to the greater outcome for society and our humanity.

If we all paid more attention to humanity than to our iphones would we not be the better for it. A cake baked without the basic ingredients will not be a cake at all.

Imagine a future with todays children, todays young adults at the helm. How different would your image be from theirs? Look in the streets around you, tell me what you see, what you feel in your gut.

Welcome to the world of WallE

January 6, 2010 at 8:32 am |