January 6th, 2010

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 01/06/10

Tonight on 360°, the federal indictment against the suspected Christmas bomber. Plus, TSA troubles.
We're keeping them honest. Are they up for the job of keeping you safe in flight? And, a high seas battle between anti-whaling activists and a whaling ship.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Caroline, Los Angeles

I've always liked Mizrahi's stuff-but his items at Target are the top of my budget level.

January 6, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

As a fashion student myself I must say that studying the history of fashion has taught me that fashion went from class to kitsch beginning in the 60s and it has never recovered.

Bill Blass said in his biography that fashion started to go downhill when the designers started taking their cues from street wear. I tend to agree.

Trendy is what ends up looking dated.

January 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Georgia Kruusi

I will accept any type of search...me personally, if it makes us safe in the air!!!.... I'm a very white skinned, red head, don't care what your name spelling is..... I just want to be safe going from point A to point B in the Air!!!

January 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  4. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Classic is always in!!!

Shows like to present "fashion forward" looks that is why we look back and say "wow, how could we have worn that?"

I like designs that are timeless and classic.

Itzhack Mizrahi is wonderful!

I really like the 40"s look and hope it comes back stronger...but infused with Star Trek styling.

January 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  5. Jack, Long Island, NY

Would hate to give Balloon Boy "dad" more air time (no pun intended), but I swear that on the last airing of America's Funniest Videosm here he was in a split-second clip...I think it was about falling. Probably older than this summer's excitement, but it shows more of how desperate this guy is.

January 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Steve V

What's wrong with the world, the whale boats are in beyond cruel, something for a Planet in Peril.

January 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Emily

Thank goodness styles change over the years! 😛

January 6, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  8. starr formerly known as vincent

@Megan Dressler & Casey, i agree about Western reporters in Yemen being in dange.

I give CNN's Paula Newton a great deal of credit for reporting from Yeman as a woman too.

January 6, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hi Isaac Mizrahi, I would like to be in you next fashion show!

January 6, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  10. A. Smith, Oregon

Don't the Olson twins have their own fashion lines, perfume lines? I think they do.

January 6, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel,
    Yes! LOL!!! I agree, I never forget either balloon boy! 🙂

January 6, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Emily

@Jo Ann,

"You might be right, but I think, like in the Ft. Hood case, PC prevented them from connecting the dots."

I don't think we are going to know "Why" any dots were not connected until after the investigation, if we ever find out why!

January 6, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Lori

It is interesting to watch creative people talk about what they love!

January 6, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Al berto

Stop glamorizing the whale terrorist, the Japanese are not breaking any laws, they have every right to attack back those harrasing them.

January 6, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  15. carla

i like isaac's style

January 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Carolyn Johnson, West Virginia

It is hard for politicians to keep their word, but at least some of them do try, I believe that Obama is trying, healthcare went the way it did because of how it got to this point. (nothing is easy) especially the good things.

January 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Danielle - Los Angeles

I thought I had seen and heard the last from the Balloon Family. They are so 2009, let's move on to the next attention whoring family willing to put their kids up to lying

January 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The anti-whaling activity is laudable; but they routinely violate the international rules of the road by placing their ships in the path of the whaling ships. I'd like to ss footage before the collision to see who exactly violated the rules of the road in their ship maneuvers, the whalers or anti-whalers

January 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Emily

the interview with Isaac Mizrahi should be good!

I can't believe that Richard H. is now saying that the "balloon-boy" was all a hoax!

Is he really hoping that he's going to get a TV show out of this?

January 6, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Adelaide

It is always nice to have a fashion segment on a serious news program! I'm all eyes for Mr. Mizrahi!

January 6, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I have so much respect for animal activists, they often put their lives on the line for our precious creatures!

January 6, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Lisa A., Philadelphia, PA

if the japanese vessel is breaking the law, can't some law enforcement group use more than stink bombs to stop them? Like arrest them or confiscate their vessel? Horrible what those poachers are doing.

January 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  23. A. Smith, Oregon

Wow, the Ady Gil really looks wrecked. A million dollar speed boat, painted with anti-radar paint, constructed with high tech carbon fiber sections. Who would think the Japanese would be so reckless they would ram them in the antarctic ocean!

January 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  24. sue

@megan ~ good! I'm glad that someone watches ~ and if one watches, then it is worth doing, right?

January 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  25. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Non-violent, chivalrous, altruistic.

January 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  26. Andy J

Thank you for doing the coverage of the whale boats.....it needs to stop

January 6, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Emily

This is so disturbing, knowing that they are killing/hunting whales!

Is it just for food?

January 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  28. Georgia Kruusi

so, retiring to spend time with your family is not a good reason..I guess in the Government...for the rest of us that's a really good reason!!! I wouldn't vote for Dodd if I could and HE wasn't claiming to retire!!!

January 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  29. Steve in NY

I was never really impressed with TSA's execution of its duties and responsibilities, but this just takes the cake. What are we paying these people for?

January 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  30. A. Smith, Oregon

I remember one episode where Paul Watson was shot in the chest of his kevlar vest by some Japanese firearms. He pulled the bullet out of his kevlar vest after saying 'ouch'.

January 6, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  31. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'd like to use some of those stink bombs on Congress!

January 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Emily

@Rikki, ND,

I can understand why you would be looking forward to an actual race! 😉

I have a feeling that you are correct and more will be States where there will be 'real races'!

possibly an entire new generation of politicians!

January 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  33. Kathleen Babb

These young folks have their youth and lack of purpose exploited and twisted into the purpose of these extreme people. It amazes me that such well educated "leaders" seduce these and others into wasting their own lives with deaths of themselves and others. It is a frightful network. I do not know if there is a way to subvert this kind of indoctrination that kills and brings bizzarre recognition at the same time.

January 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Casey,
    Yup! That's really very serious danger reporter in Yemen!! I am concern for many reporters to safe. I pray for them. Keep safe.

January 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

@Rikki, ND – I agree about Sen. Dorgan. He has had a distinguished career and has often been a steady voice of reason in the Senate.

Who will be running in his place-do you know?

January 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  36. Monica M. Williams

Being Honest: Enjoying tonight's show. : )

January 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  37. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

This attack on the anti-whaling activists infuriates me.

January 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  38. A. Smith, Oregon

Its a miracle no one was killed outright or thru hypothermia in the water after that Japanese whaling harpoon vessel cut it in half.

January 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  39. Doug

Toobin commented that Mutallub didn't want to talk and we should respect his wishes. I understand not wanting to torture but have we abandoned all interrogation?

January 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  40. Lori

Wow that boat footage is dramatic! I would have been so scared as a passenger on the small vessel.

January 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Wendy

The people who are kiiling whales need to suffer the same pain the whales do

January 6, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Sabrina in Los Angeles

The whaling activists were trying to do the honorable/moral/ethical thing and stop these people from abusing/harming these whales.

They tried to get between them and the whale but you can clearly see that the crew of the smaller vessel (the activists) is run over by the larger (whaling) vessel because they retreat to the back.

Stop harming these animals. Preserve nature not destroy it.

January 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

The Health Care negotiations should be more accessible, though the products of each committee's work is available as the legislation that came out of committee. Maybe the public conversation is a bit incomplete so there's not the public support that is desired.

The chaos is Yemen is as much of a problem as al Queda being in that country.

January 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  44. A. Smith, Oregon

Japan should be charged with a crime for having one of its whaling vessels slice one of the sea shepard boats in half.

January 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  45. Shubha Kumar

any poor Islamic nation can become a breeding ground for extremists and terrorists, poverty can make people do a lot of things , today YEMEN, tomorrow another, I guess our country needs to rethink its strategy as to identifying these breeding grounds and preventing such attacks rather than wait for someone to strike again..

January 6, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  46. Holly

People under 40 don’t realize it, or don’t believe it, but by the time they reach the years between 40 and 65, insurance companies can raise their rates to $500 a month or more and find reasons to drop them completely. Like a few million seniors on limited incomes have already discovered, you can’t afford insurance after age 50 and you see a doctor only in an emergency, until Medicare kicks in. This generation will desperately wish they had supported President Obama’s health bill now.

January 6, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  47. David S.

Anderson,

I can sympathize with the anti-whaling sentiment, and I too am morally opposed to this alleged Japanese "research." However, piracy on the high seas that puts other people at risk is never the right way to deal with something with which you disagree. Do these activists really believe that Japanese sailors who cut up whales for a living really have the power to change their national policy?

January 6, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Valerie NYC

I tend to believe the japs crashed in to the activists. I mean, seriously, they are going nuts with all the pressure against illegal whaling in Japanese seas. I hope they keep it up. I will

January 6, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  49. rob c

YEMEN, its like a international word jumble game......a simple switch of a few letters and walla....ENEMY!!! so is this gonna be the 4th front on the war on terror. I understand the US's interests in a stable middle east, but you cant just throw western ideals down there throats, i mean most parts of these countries havent even seen an idealistic enlightenment let alone an industrial revolution.

If we as a country cannot even agree on the idea that our health care system needs an overhaul, how do you expect to change a whole regions ideals in a matter of years?

January 6, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  50. A. Smith, Oregon

Yemen is the poorest country in all of the Middle East. What is Saudi Arabia doing to help those poor people? Saudi Arabia sent their army into Yemen two months ago to attack various area's across their border. What's wrong with Saudi Arabia providing humanitarian aid to Yemen?

January 6, 2010 at 10:40 pm |