December 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/23/09

It's the final countdown to the Senate vote on Capitol Hill. Plus, a father's victory. We're digging deeper on the New Jersey father who will be reunited with his son in Brazil. The boy's mother took him there five years ago and never returned. She ended getting remarried and died last year in childbirth. And, we have more of the memorable moments of 360° from 2009.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Don, WA

Wow, can you imagine sitting in one of the plane seats just in front of where the plane fractured in jamaica, holy smokes
    Oh, and I'm glad I was able to see the three wise men dance one more time before christmas

December 23, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Cynthia, NC

Still loving the Single Ladies dance! Good night everyone and I wish you all Happy Holidays!

December 23, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I saw every show with all of those clips! Fun! Goodnight everyone .Peace to all of you and yours.Have wonderful Holidays!

December 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Lori

Sweet couples.

Everyone: Good night. Sweet dreams. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

December 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. starr, formerly known as vincent

Oh Boy, the crew again!!

I can't believe i saw ALL of these interesting moments! The snake was great.

Thank you Erica & Team 360 for a great show and good night too.
    Good night fellow bloggers-Again Happiest of Holidays to you.

Congrats to Brooke and Amanda too.

December 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Emily

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays Erica Hill, (Anderson Cooper), David Gergen, Randi Kaye, & AC360 Team! 😀

Also, Bloggers, Hope you all have a Merry Christmas &Happy Holidays! 🙂

Hope that you all have an outstanding 2010! 🙂

loved the shot of looking back @ 2009! 😛
    (love Bobby Flay & Anderson!)

Erica, you and Anderson work great together seeing you two there....SO FUNNY 😛

It's not you two, it REALLY NEVER GETS OLD!!! ~ the guys dancing!

December 23, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Lori

The three dancers never lose their charm.

December 23, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. A. Smith, Oregon

Goodnight Erica, CNN Staff 😦 and fellow bloggers, happy holidays

December 23, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Anderson looks like a six year old cutting an onion for the first time!

December 23, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Robbie

Just looking at pictures of that plane makes me anxious.

I don't fly. I have in the past, but never, ever have I had a smooth flight.

The last time I flew, the plane dropped and all the oxygen masks came down.

That did it for me. I know – more people die in car accidents, etc.

I have a fear of flying.

December 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

With a crowded plane like that, yes that looks like a Christmas miracle. There was no margin for error on the runway, no room to overshoot.

December 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. ericacnn

lots of great moments ahead - including some new ones for the archives

December 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Sharline Nabulime

I am glad Brazil was thinking of international reciprocity. This should have been done a long time ago. Here's hoping their Christmas is Merry.

December 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. starr, formerly known as vincent

I want to also wish Everyone with 360 and fellow bloggers, Merry Chistmas, Happiest of Holidays to you and yours. May all of you be blessed with the best in the coming new year.

December 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

What I didn't hear from the panel talking about the child custody case is what is in the best interest of the child in the long run, not just the immediate future. Its short-sighted to only consider the here and now. And why did that one panelist start comparing abduction and molestation cases to this case? I don't recall molestation was part of the equation in this case, was it?

December 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  16. lisal

happy holidays everyone – randi, david – erica and the rest of the team

that onion chopping was priceless ... ROFL!!

December 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  17. Lori

Hello Erica, 360 and Everyone! Happy Wednesday.

December 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  18. starr, formerly known as vincent

@

@David Gergen – Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, & Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Thank you for your remarks to us, i for one love this site and plan to stay with it for sometime. I always learn something from the blog.

December 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Cynthia, NC

Oh my, the fear the Flight 331 passengers must have endured before the plane came to a stop.

December 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. David, Indiana

It is very good to see Michael Brewer recovering.

A blizzard in Minneapolis.

There's been a lot of pressure on the Brazilian courts, now we're talking about the complicated adjustments Sean Goldman his father and family will face. I hope Sean's family in Brazil and his family in the US can reconcile.

December 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. D Kennedy

If a father kidnapped a child and took them to another country, and the child was subsequently rasied by another woman, due to to the father's death, I feel that this situation would be viewed differently. We would not question if it would be in the best interest of the child to be reunited with the biological mother. The child deserves to be with his father, who has been fighting for him. As a woman, my heart goes out to this father. May God bless him and his family!

December 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. kelly

How much did the plain overshoot by?

Was it pilot error?

December 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  23. Nancy

It was a huge mistake that Sean hasn't spent something like a month every summer, a week at Christmas and Easter with his dad since 2004. That would have made this transition easier. I heard Sean doesn't speak very much English. That was a mistake too.

December 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Emily

instead of 'fame' he got 'infamy'!
    should have preceded a career as a "science detective" instead! 😛

December 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Camille, Oregon

It was in the "child's best interest" to come home years ago. Do we really have to turn this into another sensationalistic debate at the boy's expense? Please, give this family a minute to experience the joy of his return.

December 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  26. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am happy that Sean is coming home with his real dad.

However, it would be foolish to think that he may have adustment issues. I remember when in moved here from England WithMy Family, the getting used to the USA culture was very difficult and took several years.

@Isabel, many, many thanks for your info to us during this event.

December 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Dulcie - Denver

I'm sending my best wishes for everyone at AC360 as well as all my fellow commentors a very happy holiday and a prosperous New Year as well.

It's always a pleasure to participate in the discussion.

December 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. charlie

Erica : Thank you for at last introducing some balance regarding discussion of the child's best interest.

December 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Emily

What about a form of Stockholm syndrome?

December 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Molly

There is also a shortage of specialists. Several years ago I had a severe reaction to a cleaning solution. It looked like a serious burn on the skin of both arms. I went to my primary care physician. He refered me to a specialist (a dermatologist). It took at least 2 to 6 months to get an appointment. By the time I saw the dermatologist, the skin had healed 100%.

December 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Emily

@David Gergen,

Happy Holidays, and I hope that 2010 is Happy & Healthy for you! 😀

December 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Thank you David Gergen! Happy Holidays to you and yours! See you next year!

December 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. A. Smith, Oregon

Hi Erica, costs for a medical education for a MD is enormous, and the benefits are so low that intelligent students are going elsewhere. MD's have lost a great deal of community standing these days.

December 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Stacy

David Gergen, Happy holidays to you as well.

December 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  35. charlie

Erica : "5 years in a foreign country with his mother's family" ??
    That was 5 years in his mother's home country, with his mother and maternal family until his mother died one year ago. Until his mother died, I don't see why there should be any presumption that his father was a better parent?

December 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  36. A. Smith, Oregon

Hello David, what do you think of the latest Republican bid to have the US Supreme Court block the Health Care bill?

December 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  37. Emily

@Erica,
    great to see you on the blog as well as hosting the show.... I missed a part of it. What I saw does sound 'disturbing' as you say, and have to wonder if the Senate is pushing this Health Care bill too quickly!

Looking at the other posts here, looks like many think that things must change, however, still seems like the Senate is rushing here.

December 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  38. Marian

I see no reason to bring up how Sean will take the move to the US with his father as anyone would already know it will be a very traumatic transition for him, and of course over-analyzed by the media.

December 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  39. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Gayle McCauley-yo make an excellent point!

December 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  40. Mike formerly from Syracuse

I give President Obama a D+. The + is for finally sending more troops to Afghanistan.

December 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  41. David Gergen

Hello everyone - I would like to take a moment to wish each of you a happy holiday and joyous new year. Many of you have become regulars here on this site, and it is always interesting - as well as a pleasure - to read your comments. All of us here at AC 360 look forward to joining up with you again in the new year.

December 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  42. Paolo

Merry Christmas eve eve!

I have to say on health care that based on Tom's report, I'd give Obama a C/C+. He probably let the republicans compromise too much to make that version look only like a mere expansion of government without absolute healthcare coverage.

On economy, I'm tempted to give him a C/C+ as well because the thing that matters most, jobs hasn't recovered even as other indicators shows the economy is recovering somehow. But I understand the best case shows a job recovery only possible later in the president's first term so I'll give that the benefit of the doubt and give him an "incomplete."

December 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  43. Robbie

My health care is provided by the town in which I teach. I pay $140.00 a month, not including co-pays for doctors and medications.

I'm not complaining. I know others have no plan. Yet I have been refused treatment my doctor wanted. This bill helps me, too, not just the uninsured.

And I might be one of those taxed. I am fine with that. I believe that if I can help someone else, it is a blessing.

December 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  44. Emily

Glad to see that the young man who was so badly burnt is out of the hospital so early and home for Christmas! Great news for him and his family! 😀

December 23, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Emily

Great news about David Goldman and his son Sean....btw, thanks for the extra info the other night Isabel....
    I never thought that it was a 'fight between 2 countries...just these families and of course, it's the child that suffers! ;(

Glad to see that this story has a happy ending for the family! 🙂

December 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

@Starr.He has run into brick walls of opposition from the start!

December 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Cynthia, NC

Good evening and Merry Christmas not from NC, but the cold, windy, and snowy Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Interesting discussion on the report card for the Obama Administration.

December 23, 2009 at 10:31 pm |