December 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/21/09

Tonight, we're keeping them honest on Capitol Hill. See what deals Democratic leaders made to get the Senate health care reform bill passed early this morning. It's your tax dollars. Plus, up close, the mysterious death of actress Brittany Murphy.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel,
    I agree with you about David Goldman.... That is so struggle right now for David Goldman.... Too hard for him bring him home.

December 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  2. mike k

why is it not a good idea to allow insurance companies to sell policies nationally creating competition which i imagine would drive the cost down?

December 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Gary (Cincy)

It is amazing to me that the Senate describes their bill as saving money when it only includes the benefits/cost for 6 years ... but increased taxes for 10 years. Our representatives are counting on us to be asleep ... or unable to do simple math. They will see how we count next November.

December 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  4. kathy

I think it is horrible the way this bill was passed, back rooms and deals.......I am so mad at our elected officials.....it is a bill in name only....something for obama to celebrate about. I am embarrassed for my country.........why should i have to pay for the deals made by senators who sold their votes. I am angry. if it is the legislative way things are done all the time then they need to change the process. It is not right.

December 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Rand from Spokane wa.

Hey some progress being made for health care, we need to know we've got coverage if we lose our jobs. Don't want to lose all we've worked for if we get sick.

December 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Brad TX

This bill will be down fall of our country if this passes.

December 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Emily

look at that cost to the people to have legislation done this way!?!!

I thought that Obama was going to put an END to this!!

December 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  8. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Gambling with the American health care system trade tit for tat lets just fix the old bill .

December 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Dulcie - Denver

I live in the Mtn time zone and I stayed up to watch this historic vote.

I'm very glad it passed

December 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Brandon

I think they want to make new taxes more than raise taxes...like for example the elective procedures tax they want to pass...

December 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  11. JoAnne

So much for health care reform helping the middle class, I just got my insurance bill (BC&BS) and my premium went from 450. a month to 649. a month and they will only cover $2500. in prescription druge a year. How does this help me?

December 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. David, Indiana

Good evening Erica, Tom Foreman? Isabel, eveyrone. That was an exhaustive run through of key deals to push HCR legislation through the Senate, and the constituencies who would be affected by how reconciliation works out. Is there superfluous ins in the cadillac plans or is that just good solid coverage?

Michigan does need the help of not adding tax to health ins companies.

It will take some work to marry thiese bills.

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  13. John

Please talk about the benefits of the Bill , please please

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

This bill is opposed by 56% of Americans. When Obama won with 53% of the vote it was called a landslide. These bribes are disgusting.

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Emily

it still has to get by the House also!

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  16. Courtney

I think the new bill should be great. Its nice to see progress being made.

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  17. FloridaRyan

Mad about the health care bill and mad that our elected officals have forgotten they are to represent us. If I offer an elected offical money for a vote, it illegal. If they offer money (pork) for a vote.. it's politics..

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@Emily,
    I think that David Goldman will not bring him home, His ex-wife's family wanted him to stay in Brazil right now told judge to halt him as block.

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  19. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Emily, i agree Reid's remark is upsetting.

However, democrats are doing no different than what the Republicans' did when they had control of the Congess.

Frankly "change we can believe in" seems to have disappeared. There is no discernable difference now than in the past in the behavior of Both parties!

December 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Mark Johannes

What good is does it do when your paying coverage that doesn't start for another three to four years?

December 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Cassidy ropes

How is the new health care bill going to effect someone like myself who already has health care? Are my taxes going to increase for something I won't even use?

December 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Gary Granger

HC Reform. Another game and another win for the government, means another loss for the public. It is my belief that Washington no longer represents the conscience of the nation.

December 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Brandon

@Emily I agree that the goal should be to get it done right...but no amount of time with this congress will get it right.

December 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  24. John

We were told during the election we were entitled to the SAME coverage and Congress...why has everyone forgot that promise?

John in Littleton, CO

December 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Emily

this is awful!

just how much is going to be missed?!

I think that they are trying to get this bill done by the end of '09; and I think that the goal should be to get it done right!

December 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Janine from PA.

I guess one should expect each senator to get something for their state, but health care must be equal for all in every stae. I'm waiting to see how many loopholes there are that will allow insurance companies to bypass much of this bill. And as always, the hard working American citizen gets nothing. Will have to pay higher rates, mine is going up 28%. Will I get more coverage for that? No! Does not matter if there are democrates or republicans doing this they are all in cahoots with business. Until we get universal health care many will continue to fall through the cracks. And pay through the nose. And then when we need the insurance, they will find a way to deny even after all the years they collected your money. For shame, congress!!

December 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Brandon

@Dodie I guess the idea is to try and do it the way tricare runs health care insurance for the military???

December 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Isabel Siaba

@ starr, formerly known as vincent

The only thing I know is that in Rio de Janeiro, the Brazilian family of Sean talks about reconciliation, it seems that the Brazilian grandmother invited David Goldman to spend Christmas with the family in Rio

December 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  29. Annie Kate

Good to see you in the anchor chair again Erica. Lot to report on tonight it seems – health care and its various ins and outs and the fact that there are currently 2 packages – one from the House and one from the Senate. When they start to combine those its going to be even more confusing and probably more deals will have to be made.

December 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  30. Brandon

Well anytime the government is going overhaul anything most likely it's going to be a glued together train wreck...

December 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Dodie

@ Brandon Waving to you.

Yes, it seems so convoluted to me. I thought I was the only one confused by this bill.

December 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I watch Healthcare reform last night, It was passed!!!! YES! But thanks Senators! Nice job Sanjay and Tom!!! 🙂

December 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  33. michael armstrong sr. TX.

This health care plan was glued together from a train wreck ,

December 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  34. Brandon

@Dodie I agree...it's hard to grasp. They aren't going to do this without something in return.

December 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  35. Emily

@Isabel,
    interesting news that has been happening there in Brazil!

looking forward to hearing both the father and the family tonight.

is this as big of a story there, as it is here?

I can't imagine fighting 5yrs to see my child.

December 21, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  36. GlenUpNorth

Evening Anderson, Erica and all you great bloggers out there. Blogging from the iPhone on Cape Breton.

December 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  37. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Isabel -Brazil

Can you give us any info on the Goldman issue. Do you think the courts will rule in the father's favor tomorrow?

December 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  38. Dodie

Non profit, private insurance? that sounds like a contradiction in terms!

December 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  39. Emily

Reids remark, what a joke! or if it would be if it were NOT the truth!

December 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Dodie

Good Evening Erica, CNN staff and Michael from TX

December 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  41. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica! Nice to see you on again (watched your earlier broadcast too). Hi entire Team 360.

Hellow fellow bloggers.

I watched the vote last night (on mountain time). I don't know whether to be glad or not?

December 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Anthonia-Bay Area

Good Evening Everyone! Happy Lunes 🙂

WOW, I'm just shocked that 60 members of the house really voted in favor of the Health Care Reform..I just hope it will be passed by Chirstmas!!

December 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Brandon

Doubt it was blackmail as much as it was straight good ole' dirty bribes.

December 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  44. Emily

Good evening Erica, (good see you hosting!), Megan, Martina, and Bloggers!
    Hope you all had a warm weekend! 🙂

Erica, loved the von Bismarck quote! 😛

Lots of interesting news tonight!

December 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Brandon

Some interesting topics tonight...passing of the health reform bill and the tragic death of Brittany Murphy.

December 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  46. michael armstrong sr. TX.

It sounds like black mail politics .

December 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Rand from Spokane wa.

Good evening 360 bloggers

December 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Brandon

Good evening everyone...looking forward to tonight.

December 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  49. Isabel Siaba

Good evening Erica!
    Hello David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

Happy Monday!!!!!!!!!

December 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo (Anderson), Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!! 🙂
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!

December 21, 2009 at 10:00 pm |