December 17th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/17/09

Tonight on 360°, crunch time for Pres. Obama. He's on his way to Copenhagen where there's no guarantee a deal will be signed to climate change policy. Plus, there's the fight on Capitol Hill over health care reform. We've got the raw politics. And, a police chief and two of his officers accused of covering-up a hate crime.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. A. Smith, Oregon

At least the Brazilian boy looks healthy and well dressed. The step father apparently has visitation for the boys father nearly everyday during the week. Things could be far worse!

December 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  2. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann...Evidently biology (and the ability to care and love a child) has little to do with reality in Brazil.

December 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Susan, NJ

The mother kidnapped him 5 years ago, by going to Brazil and not returning.

December 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. charlie

Kidnapped? I thought he travelled to Brazil with his mother?

December 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Fay-CA

I can't imagine how David Goldman is dealing with the agonizing process of trying get custody of his child, it's horrible how he's been constantly let down by the Brazilian courts.

December 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  6. Shanny

why wouldn't you take as many visits as possible so the little guy knows you're fighting tooth and nail for his return so he knows you love him and the relationship continues

December 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Ivanka, Croatia

I am surprised that they are treating an American citizen this way. I would understand if it were different nationality. Given American status in the world as a leader.

Another thing; imagive the impact this has had on the child's psyche.

I imagine a fat judge making a mockery out of this gentleman.

December 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Emily

This is awful news, and what the Courts in Brazil is doing is so confusing! What do you think a boy is going to say after he has been kidnapped and take for 5yrs!

Does that boy have a form of "Stockholm" syndrome?

December 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Lori

I feel sorry for the father

December 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  10. charlie

I thought the mother died a year ago?
    Where does the 5 years come from?

December 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I thought biology ruled in cases like this.

December 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Susan, NJ

The child's feelings should NOT be taken into account AT ALL. He was kidnapped. The father's right should supercede the child's best interests have been HIJACKED.

December 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Kathryn

What about the fact that he is the biological father- does this hold any legal weight?

December 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. A. Smith, Oregon

@Cynthia, I agree however it seems something is missing between him in the back of a swerving truck, a neighbor that claims she overhears him yelling he'll commit suicide by jumping if she doesn't pull over, and him laying unconscious and dieing in the middle of the road.

I don't think Chris Henry's fiance' was the one that even called the police?
    The public probably won't be told what actually occurred other than that young man died.

December 17, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  15. starr, formerly known as vincent

As i said last night, i had a feeling that Mr. Goldman might run into trouble and for that i am very, very sad.

It seems incredible that this issue has lingered for 5 yrs.!!

As a parent, i cannot imagine how i would cope with this!

What is wrong with Brazilian law? Or the wife's family for that matter?
    This is so wrong.

December 17, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Lilarose in Bandon, OR

Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL was recently chosen to host a summer Olympics in 2016..

I am really surprised that the Olympic Committee that chooses the cities went ahead and chose Rio even though the Brazilians are infamous for human rights violations such as Shawn Goldman's story, the boy who was kidnapped by his stepfather five years ago and the Brazilian government continues to refuse to let the boy go back to his father, the rightful guardian.

I suggest we start a very serious boycott of the Rio Olympics and start it now! And let the Brazilian government know about it now!

Possession being 9/10th of the law only says it is OK to STEAL!

December 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I fear that Shawn and his father won't see each other until Shawn is grown-up and on his own. This story is absolutely infuriating. How utterly ignorant the Brazilian court system is, not to mention the relatives of the deceased wife–they are clueless and selfish.

December 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Sharon Hastings

This is so sad Anderson. This poor father just trying to get his son back. I don't understand all of this. The longer it goes on, the harder it will be for the boy to make the transition should the father succeed.

December 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Susan, NJ

The high profile nature with all the cameras was probably too much of a "humiliation" for Brazil.

December 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Alley, Florida,

"I think the state department needs to do more to help Goldman get his son home."

Although our government bows to the will of foreign countries, our state department does not like to interfere in the laws of those countries.

December 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Emily

@Chuck from Thailand,

Roy sounds like a really good guy!

I'm glad that he was found. What an awful thing he went though.

Thanks for you post!

December 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Antonio-elizabeth,NJ

That is nuts, a step father gets custody. unbelievable

December 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Amanda STL

this custody story is heartbreaking.... a man refused to have his son is frustrating...what is Brazil's deal? The child was born a US citizen, why is this so difficult?

December 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  24. stan patten

the father tryiing to get his son back from Brazil is a tragic situation... I hope our government can intervene.

December 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  25. David, Indiana

I feel the public discussion on the legislation is sort of constrained.

That is an extraordinary rept by Michael Ware about Roy Hallum's captivity and his own experience being held hostage. That is a tremendous risk to take to be in Iraq for covering the war or as a contractor, soldier, diplomat. Just from that rept I get an idea of how much that takes.

December 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Luke and Laura

I'm outraged that Goldman still cannot take his son home. This judge is obviously being paid off by the mother's family and step father. They have done nothing but brainwash this poor child. Boycott Brazil, call their embassy and protest, and call your Congressmen and women.

December 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  27. Susan, NJ

This poor kid will be so confused, and probably hardened against the father.

December 17, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Paula, Colorado

It must be extremely disheartening for Mr. Goldman to be continually refused custody by the Brazilian court. The situation doesn't seem that complicated. It seems the system there is more concerned than necessary with keeping the son in Brazil.

December 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Susan, NJ

This Brazilian thing is politics. Someone has paid someone, and it's and ego thing in many countries not to just "give in" to the US.

December 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Christina NY

Three things i can't believe

1.) David Goldman still can't bring his own child home from a foreign country. It doesn't make sense and plus his step father is holding him there!!!!

2.) I can't believe Chris Henry is dead...he was only 26!!!

3.) I HAD NO IDEA MICHAEL WARE WAS HELD CAPTIVE!!!!

That's enough for me, love you Anderson

December 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  31. stan patten

i have followed all the rules and still no comment posted..... whoever is in charge of "moderation" has an agenda..... Anderson, please tell me it's not you, lol

December 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Nate

Before this bill was watered down by sell outs like Lieberman, and other so called democrats....(who are really Republicans). 55% of the people were for Health care reform... But the wealth elite succeeded in smearing universal health care by spending lots of money to protect there own greedy interests.

December 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Cynthia, NC

Such a sad and tragic story with Chris Henry. His life was cut too short, just as he was beginning to turn it around.

December 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Chuck in Thailand. Thanks for that information. I really had to wonder.

December 17, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Emily

@Ivanka, Croatia,

It's the leaders that have the say....the American public voted in people to make changes, and they are or are not getting the changes that they voted for.

December 17, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Alley, Florida

I think the state department needs to do more to help Goldman get his son home. There must be someone in the Brazil government who can override the judge's hold.

December 17, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  37. A. Smith, Oregon

@Emily, I agree, the captors fit the bill of truly sick and depraved individuals.

December 17, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Susan, NJ

The custody issue country to country is super expensive and endlessly frustrating. We have a nephew who is half Egyptian. He was smuggled out by our neice to the US. Her life was physically threatened in Egypt by the Egyptian father.

December 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  39. susan easley

Are you kidding me, where does the 60% of americans come in, I am from Arkansas, and I know lots of people that know we need Healthcare reform...I guess the 60% would be the haves, not the have nots...whats up with that...where are our voices..the ones that work 12 hrs. a day, They can't afford to go to these tea parties..I am disqusted
    with the whole thing!!!

December 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Lynn

I voted for President Obama, then I believed he was a true fighter for the American People. Due to the President started the fight with Univeral Health Care reform, he should extend all his latteral power to convince the conservative democrates and GOP to pass a health bill that is right for all Americans. Now, I am not convince that he is truely for the majority of America as he claimed during his Presidential campaign.

December 17, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  41. Marie

I can't believe these politicians; it is ironic how quick and willing they supported President Obama's proposal to send 30K troops to Afghanistan, but yet when it comes to Health Care, they are so against it. What are the priorities of this Country? Something so imperative as the Health of the American People and they dragging their feet. I just don't get it!!!

December 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Annie Kate

That poor man – tied up in that tiny space for 10 months. I bet he doesn't like small spaces now...... I'm glad he is finally out of captivity and he still has his head. I admire the journalists that go over there to report knowing that this could happen to them easily; it would keep me away from there.

December 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Antonio-elizabeth,NJ

I remember when he was first kidnapped, I thought he was dead. That man is not only extremely brave but very lucky.

December 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  44. Kathryn

For someone who has had to endure trauma of this scale to be able to talk about it, and share that experience with others, is amazing.

December 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  45. Chuck from Thailand

I worked very closely with Roy in Saudi Arabia for several years. He is every bit the understated, quiet, calm individual pictured in this segment. He is a true gentleman who endured unspeakable agony for 11 months of his life. I recently talked to him and he seems to be getting along very well and was the same old Roy.

Thanks for the interview and the schedule of showing it.

December 17, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  46. Emily

@A. Smith, Oregon,

"Roy Hallums ordeal and story is riveting."

It sure is....and so is Michael Wares.

I would not want to go through that...being buried alive and for months!
    or being told to film my goodbye and I was going to be beheaded!

What an awful experience.

December 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Amanda M

i cannot imagine being held in a cell like that for even a day let alone over 300...this is truly amazing... it's hard to beleive there is such evil in this world

December 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  48. starr, formerly known as vincent

HI Erica. I didn't say hello tonight as i thought you might be on vacation. Great to see you on the blog tonight!

I don't know if i could have made it through what Michael and especially that gentleman went through. Between anxiety attacks and severe clastraphbia, i think i would have given up the ghost.

Both of these men have great courage!

December 17, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Sharon Hastings

@Starr, thanks for your comments. I get discouraged because I hear on the one hand that denying insurance based on pre-existing conditions will be eliminated but then on the other hand, insurance companies will make up for this loss by charging much more in insurance premiums, especially for the older population. And forget the single payer or public option which got so many people excited initially. I realize compromise is necessary, but what are we left with???? And the partisan posturing is really sickening.

December 17, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Jennifer - AZ

I wasn't aware that Michael had been through such an experience. I'm glad he's still with us.

December 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm |