December 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/16/09

Is Pres. Obama flip-flopping on a promise to let Americans buy cheaper prescription drugs from other countries? We're keeping them honest on health care tonight.

We're also tracking a mysterious story out of Texas. A 10-year-old boy was taken from his school bus by uniformed officers and returned to his father. It was all caught on tape. We'll show you the video. At the time, court officials believed the father should have custody. But now a warrant has been issued for the father, who's accused of using incomplete Mexican court documents to get his son.Ever since the tense moment on that school bus last month, the boy and his father haven't been seen. Tonight, you'll hear from the boy's mother who wants her son returned.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. LisaL - Canada

why would a doctor try to transport drugs across the border? what an idiot. that's nothing but a career-ender.

December 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@starr, formerly known as vincent

Wow.... Thanks! It made my day!

December 16, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  3. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I was passing through an airport yesterday and I stopped dead in my tracks as I noticed an ad for a company called Accenture with a big picture of Tiger Woods on a golf course. I never heard of this company nor do I have any clue what it is, but I certainly recognize the name now. I think Tiger's recent follies will do more for some of these sponsors than any of them could ever imagine. It's not the brightest thing to just drop Tiger cold turkey, especially if you're not a household name.

December 16, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This Tiger Woods fiasco just gets curiouser and curiouser. I am sure all big name athletes have taken some type of drug to "assist" them at one time or another either to get past an injury or to enhance performance. It is the nature of the beast.

December 16, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

It's great to see Dr. Gupta on the Magic Wall too!

December 16, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  6. A. Smith, Oregon

Plasmapheresis is a blood purification procedure routinely used to treat several autoimmune diseases. It is also known as therapeutic plasma exchange. However, Plasmapheresis can also be used for a number of unique and targeted medical purposes.

Centrifuges haven't been used for decades with this therapy, LOL, the porous filters used today are specifically made to the micron to filter specific blood products and concentrate them.

December 16, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  7. charlie

Does the US think that it's drug safety standards are so much higher than dozens of first world democracies?. To name a few: Sweden, Holland, Canada, Holland ....etc etc. And those countries all have better health outcomes than the US.

December 16, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  8. starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, you are really good at working the "magic wall". You have used it twice and it looks like you having too much fun (smile).

And now you have Dr. Gupta working with it too.

December 16, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  9. Carol

you can throw out the results of the national health care reform survey. i participated in the survey. the questions were so bias against the reform, there was no answer anyone could give from the choices that would reflect they were for reform.

December 16, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  10. Nancy in Oregon

So, Isabel, is it the maternal family then who has been pulling the strings on this? Are they the ones who convinced the mother to kidnap him to start with?

December 16, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Margaret in OH

I am not happy with the deal with the pharmaceutical companies- but I agree with a few other posters- with how partisan the healthcare issues is- compromises and deals have to be made by President Obama or nothing will get done- This healthcare bill is a start at least. NPR had an interesting show today on the drugs and how imported drugs has to be approved by the FDA etc

December 16, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

We can eat Domino's new pizza all the family with Anderson. LOL! 🙂

December 16, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Lisa A., Philadelphia, PA

i love Anderson walking over to that wall and interacting with the screen. It's even better with him and Sanjay! It absolutely captures my attention.

December 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

My pooch had Immune mediated hemolytic anemia a few years ago and goes in for blood tests on her red blood cells.. they spin the blood right in the office, probably same machine.

December 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Shanny

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy Gupta live!!

Hmm kind of freaky taking in someone else's blood product for a non life threatening treatment.

December 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Mike From Charlotte NC

Tiger can never catch (or rather in his case putt) a break can he now this story they are talking about now? Heh.

December 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

@Isabel I agree about the seeing the graphics, helps give a better handle on the numbers for viewers.

David Gergen, seems like a necessary step, but with impacts to competition that will be felt by the consumer. Out of country competition has driven down medication prices in this country has it not.

December 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Lori

I have heard that all athletes use enhancements.

December 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, LisaL!! I can't even imagine that luxury!!!

December 16, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

@Patty

Here there is a lot controversy. The maternal family of Sean is an important family in my town. The media talks a lot about the case, but there are people who support David and others who support the Bianchi (maternal grandparents).

I think the boy is no longer the mother, he should stay with the father, if the father is able to do so and so wishes.

December 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  21. Dennis - Chicago

@David Gergen

No, it was definitely not right to cut a deal with big Pharma. But at the same time does anyone really believe that other countries will allow the exporting of drugs whose prices are a product of their national health care plans. Big Pharma has already threatened to restrict supplies to only the amount used in those countries.

December 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Lisa A., Philadelphia, PA

How much distraction is there around Jerry? That book needs attention, i doubt he will get far in studio ... which is why I doubt they are really going to read the entire document!

December 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Adelaide

I love pizza, but Domino's made sick the 2 times I ate it! Perhaps I will be able to digest the new recipe better! Let's hope...

December 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I agree!!!!! 🙂 I know Anderson is doing great job, too!!!! 🙂

December 16, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Emily

"A long night" ....Anderson,
    Charles Dickens was one of the greatest authors of all time!
    (and the 2nd most cited of all time, after Shakespeare!)

Reading a Dickens Classic is not what I would call "a long night" or hard labor! ....

December 16, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  26. LisaL - Canada

lucky reading guy with nothing to do but read ... it's been a long time since i've just sat and read a book cover to cover ... i usually end up reading in bits and pieces

December 16, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Anderson Cooper and Domino's pizza. I can't seem to connect the dots.

December 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  28. Jane

Wonder if Domino's new pizza will be like the "new Coke". What's your bet Anderson?

December 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello David Gergen,
    I am also agree with you...... I am really confused, is that true are they willing taking cashing for drug both countries? I have never heard that before.

December 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  30. A. Smith, Oregon

Anderson, it appears the Associated Press determined that Tiger Wood's Canadian rehab doctor did not administer any performance enhancing drugs to Tiger Woods during his recent knee surgery recovery.

Tiger Woods however seems to once again show a lapse in judgment in his choice of a doctor that is under a great deal of FBI and Canadian security forces over his possible role with supplying performance enhancing drugs to a wide range of sports athletes.

December 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Marty

My prayers go out to the mother and the children involved. I can't believe the police did NOT listen to the child. What rights do children have? I went through a situation like that with my children. It took 9 months for them to come home...... However they did come home. I hope that the police department and the courts are trying to right the wrong.

I pray for their peace and his safe return.

December 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  32. charlie

Lobbying as practised openly in the US would be criminal corruption in most democracies.

December 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  33. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Isabel -Brazil

I Knew you would agree that Mr. Goldman was entitled to have his son back! Your posts have alsways displayed sucha kind heart and smart mind.

December 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Emily

@Megan,

One happy story with a boy finally about to be reunited with his father, and this tough interview that I think Anderson did a great job conducting!

Very, very sad. I hope that they will all be alright!

December 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  35. Kathryn

I have family who have gone through brutal custody battles- my heart and thoughts are with anyone who goes through this.

December 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  36. Pati Beal, Wilmington, MA

I am profoundly disappointed in Obama for letting the right wing and those blue dog Democrats water down this health bill so it's primarily nothing and will do nothing for the many millions of uninsured Americans shame on them.

I am ashamed of all of them.

December 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am so glad American dad got custody of his son bring him home fast....... I am really happy for him, He is so lucky. 🙂

December 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

David Goldman must also brace himself for a potential 'scene'....the adults who have held onto him all this time have doubtless painted the real father in very bad brushstrokes. The poor boy won't know what's real....and could easily feel kidnapped by a scary person. These poor children, used by adults to fulfill all their own needs.

December 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  39. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

I just hope Sean Goldman have peace and be happy .... either the USA or in Brazil!

December 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  40. charlie

Nice story about the US / Brazilian boy. Good to see that non US courts do take decisions that are not biased against the US.
    Quite contrary to the view often expressed in US media.
    Contrast that with the US justice applied to the boy in Texas.

December 16, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

We are so careful to respect the laws of other countries, but they do not feel any need to respect ours.

December 16, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  42. Adelaide

Why would the stepfather not want to return the kid to his biological father? Mr. Goldman seems a nice person!

December 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  43. Nancy

I wish Sean and David Goldman the very best. It will be an adjustment for Sean. I believe all the adults involved truly love Sean.

December 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Lori

Anderson, as a parent I can tell you it is hell and it can drag on for years.

December 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  45. Emily

@David Gergen,

I don't understand why the US can't get this (the pharmaceutical issue) under control! From what it looks like, every other Western country.

I think that so many would be able to save so much if this were taken care of.

December 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  46. Nancy in Oregon

I assumed Childrens Services would be automatically involved in the 'execution' of such an order.....That child is already scarred for life now.

December 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I could never understand this Goldman case. How could they allow a non-blood relative to take custody of another man's child? It is totally unbelievable that this has taken so long.

December 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree with all of you, My heart goes to boy and his mom, I am so outraged by judge, I am really shocked dad lied to judge, what he was thinking???? i hope boy must belong to his mom now.

December 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  49. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am very excited for my Goldman. But i can't help but worry that some other problem will arise.

I pray withall my heart that he gets his son back and brings him home at last.

December 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That's good news for the father to wins custody of his son.

December 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |