December 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 12/16/09

Is Pres. Obama flip-flopping on a promise to let Americans buy cheaper prescription drugs from other countries? We're keeping them honest on health care tonight.

We're also tracking a mysterious story out of Texas. A 10-year-old boy was taken from his school bus by uniformed officers and returned to his father. It was all caught on tape. We'll show you the video. At the time, court officials believed the father should have custody. But now a warrant has been issued for the father, who's accused of using incomplete Mexican court documents to get his son.Ever since the tense moment on that school bus last month, the boy and his father haven't been seen. Tonight, you'll hear from the boy's mother who wants her son returned.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sam

Mark, Canadian drugs are not subsidized by the Government the price is controlled by law – the price in Canada cannot be higher than the lowest price in other countries.
    All other developed countries also control drug prices except the US. In addition the US is the only developed country that allows pharma companies to sdvertise their drugs direct to the consumer.

The American Journal on Bioethics has a great study of the diffferences in pricing around the world – including the myths big pharma wants Americans to believe for example:
    "Officials of drug companies commonly claim that nearly all new drugs are discovered in the U.S. However, the industry's own studies (and others) show that over the past quarter century, the U.S. has accounted for less than or about the same as its proportionate share of international new drugs, not more and certainly not nearly all"

December 16, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Renee

@ 360: It's time to find Evelyn Wood. Maybe she can speed read the health care bill.

Aren't all the flu shots manufactured overseas anyway? I just took an antibiotic last week and purchased it at my neighborhood Walgreens and it was made in Canada.

December 16, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Aren't Palin's 15 minutes up already? she doesn't even have a job!

December 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  4. A. Smith, Oregon

It is terribly disappointing to see President Obama directly backtrack on one of his campaign promises to trim back Big Pharma's prices and force them into a deal similar to those made by Canada and Japan.

Its time for me to write Senator Wyden!

December 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Jane

@ marilyn. You got that right. Why the commercials for prescribed drugs? It's up to the doctors to diagnose and prescribe – not the patients to go to the doctor and ask for the expensive drugs advertised.

December 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. LisaL - Canada

that was a very interesting cost analysis - i guess we can't complain, here in canada

December 16, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Monica M. Williams

Health insurance.

There seems to be 3 choices for us: Get riped off by the drug companies through inflated rates/coverage, deal under the table or go without. Unfortunately many of us are force to accept the third option due to economics not political postering.

December 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  8. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

@marilyn, I agree, I think commercials for drugs are dangerous. Your doctor should know what drugs are good for you, you shouldn't be walking in adn saying "I saw an ad for this drug, I think I need it."

December 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Emily

@Bloggers,
    The Canadian Gov. tackled the Rx drug companies and don't allow them to charge these outrageous amounts for Rx Meds. When seeing the costs of them, wow.

That is something that I thought that The Congress was going to do!
    That they were going to 'limit' the amount that could be charged. I guess I was wrong! 😦

December 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Zeljko

did you know that "diclofenac topical gel 1%" (brand Voltaren) 100g purchased in Europe cost only $5 vs. $79 that we pay here in New York .

December 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I just took delivery of my first Canadian-filled prescription today. I saved more than 50% from what I would pay here.

December 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The worst thing is that our government is allowing the pharmaceutical companies to hold the American people hostage in the most vulnerable area possible, their health care. It is a total disgrace!

The more things "change," the more they stay the same.

December 16, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Jeff

I go to Philippines every month and buy a 2 month supply of 10 mg Lipitor for $22.00. I buy thirty 20 mg pills, (over the counter) for only $22.00 US, break them in 1/2 and I have a 2 month supply.

December 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  14. Jennifer - AZ

Evening everyone,

I understand the give and get is the way politics has to work, but it is so frustrating not to get things done and done right.

First, I think you are more likely to get dangerous drugs by NOT allowing international purchasing if people have to resort to black market pills to afford medication.

Second, if this country is worried about too much government control/socialism, it really makes no sense as we are clearly being held hostage by drug companies and lobbyist groups. I'd rather have someone in control whom I have a say about.

Third, if we support free market in this country, then add international companies to the competition.

December 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Shanny

I wonder how screwed up that little kid is going to be through all of this. He likely loves all the adults involved.

December 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Claus

Thanks, David Gergen, for your perspective.

December 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  17. Jane

This is terrible what they have done to water this bill down. From what I've heard and read today it's a pro-insurance and pharma bill now all the way. Congress is so corrupt, we are all in trouble.

December 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Lori

Hello AC, Erica, and 360. It is good to see you.

December 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  19. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

The worst thing is that the people are at the mercy of this controversy and without any medical resources due.

December 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  20. steve- virginia beach, va

I thought Obama was going to rid our his administration of lobbyist influence. His list of lies is longer than his list of truths.

December 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  21. marilyn

R & D costs are valid. The incredible cost for a commercial a minute for every drug on the market is not valid and that is driving the cost. Not to mention the magazines and papers. Keep em honest.

December 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I still don't understand why these drugs cost so much more in the US than in Canada... if they need $$ for R&D, why not spread that cost across both countries?

December 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  23. michael armstrong sr. TX.

The only thing thats debatable is that people are dieing from not being medicated .

December 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  24. A. Smith, Oregon

Anderson, the entire Republican party are standing on the principles of the Big Pharma shareholders who have placed millions of dollars into the GOP election coffers.

It is entirely predictable that all Republican lawmakers are yelling, obstructing, and attempting to block any Democratic lawmaker who attempts to lower the outrageous costs that Seniors pay these huge pharmaceutical company's for their monthly prescriptions.

December 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  25. manny Cibolo Texas

We have to run to Mexico here in texas. Sometimes its cheaper than paying the co-pay

December 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  26. ELLEN

I think drugs are cheaper in Canada because the Canadian government subsidizes the cost. I read an article a few months ago about how the Canadian government isn't interested in chipping in for American's drugs,too. Do you have the whole story?

December 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Shanny

I don't think so Mark. In some provinces like Alberta, I had to buy health care coverage to help pay for prescriptions and when I couldn't afford it I paid full price for meds. It was basic health care that was covered always.

Even now, I don't have a plan for a lot of things because I am still on probation at work for the first six months. Hoping like heck I don't need a dentist or expensive prescription before Feb. 1!!

December 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Emily

@Isabel Siaba (Brazil),
    I agree with you re. the "magic well" post.

@ Jo Ann,
    Something needs to be done with all the power that those Rx Drug companies wield there in Washington!

December 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily,

"Canada has Very tough laws!
    Their "safety procedures" are there!"

You are absolutely right, it is just a bunch of scare tactics used by the greedy pharmaceutical companies.

December 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Jane

Good evening everyone

December 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  31. Dulcie - Denver

Yeah, I wasn't happy with that agreement when I heard about it months ago.

We need to increase access to generics rather than limit it.

December 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!! 🙂

Wow! that is so shocking to me!!! I think that it was so cashing for drugs, I also agree with Anderson said.

December 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Brenda

Hello Anderson and Erica, and 360!
    I don't think it would be safe to import drugs we take from other countries. We at least have the FDA in the USA. How do we know how safe the medicines are? Our life is not worth a few dollars saved here and there. It worries me, being a disabled person.
    Thanks for listening, Brenda

December 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The bill should have included the option to buy insurance across state lines as well as the option to purchase drugs in Canada. The American people lose to the pharmaceutical company lobbyists again.

December 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  35. Mark

But aren't Canada's drugs cheaper because the prices are subsidized by the government? How can you compare U.S. drug prices that are not subsidized and call that apples to apples?

December 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Adelaide

Good Evening Everyone!

December 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am astounded at the development of this drug deal from the Obama Whitehouse.

What i God's name is the President and Congress thinking?

Money the obvious culprit along with amazing greed and stupidity.

December 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Emily

Canada has Very tough laws!
    Their "safety procedures" are there!

December 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think they should allow us to buy our prescriptions out of the country. I had to take Prevacid for my acid reflux a couple of years ago and when I got it it cost me 150.00 ( that was with insurance) for 30 pills. I had to stop taking it because it was way too expensive to buy.

December 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama would sell his soul to the devil, in this case, the pharmaceutical companies, to get the health care bill passed so that he could say he accomplished something.

December 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

AC and Magic Wall.... I like it... the news are more dynamic! Great!

December 16, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Emily

WOW!!! Rx med$ cost TonS!!!
    Yikes!

December 16, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. michael armstrong sr. TX.

Do you know that medicade and medicare dont cover Nitro tablets whats the deal with that.

December 16, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Dulcie - Denver

When I didn't have health insurance, I bought my prescription drugs from Canadian Pharmacies. They were very good and the customer service was great

December 16, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  45. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

OMG! Pres. Obama did not do that! Well, apparently he did! He is disappointing us. I'm going to Mexico to get mine now. Shucks!

December 16, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson, Erica, and entire Team 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers.

December 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Megan, Martina, & Bloggers!

This is great news that the boy will be back with his father. 🙂

December 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Good evening, Anderson and Erica!
    Hello David (Indiana), friends and bloggers!

December 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |