December 11th, 2009

Why I love Twitter

Soleil Moon Frye and family.

Soleil Moon Frye and family.

Soleil Moon Frye
Entertainer and Entrepreneur

My love affair with Twitter started some months back. It was a gorgeous sunny afternoon and my incredible friend @mrskutcher (Demi Moore) came over for a visit with the kids. She was being brilliant and beautiful as always while she told me about an incredible world that she and her husband had discovered called “Twitter.” I had heard a little about it here and there but didn’t know much about its core essence. Together we sat in front of the computer and she taught me how to post my first micro blog. Within moments, I discovered the beauty of this incredible virtual world. One in which I began connecting with people in an amazing way.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have kept a journal. I have a love for writing, words and language. I also have a deep fascination with people and the human spirit. From the time I was 5, I asked people the most personal questions I could think of. I was truly moved by the inner connection between mind and heart. This led me on a journey to study psychology in New York but I never finished college. Instead I began directing and writing, I fell in love, got married, had babies, and began the next chapters of my life. My love, passion and curiosity for people never changed. As a new mom I had so many questions and did not know where to turn. I started writing blogs about issues I cared about and connecting through the social community. When I started tweeting one of the greatest parts about it was being able to ask questions that inspired me. Within minutes I had all of these people sharing their stories, advice, and ideas. I genuinely wanted to engage and people were truly open to it. I found a common bond that connected us through the brilliant world of cyber space. A thread of nostalgia that somehow reached us all. In 140 characters I could express my endless love for Jake from Sixteen Candles or talk about how Alzheimer’s has effected my life. I could share a photo of my family or a song that moves me. I could connect to people through this amazing realm and be an active part of this Wild West in technology.

I am reminded now more than ever of a time ten years ago when I had an idea for a web company. The concept was live videos for the web. Programmed shows... One was a celebrity coffee chat, another was a behind-the-scenes look into entertainment... I will never forget the excitement of flying out to Manhattan to sit down and pitch our vision to a massive investment company. We gave our big pitch and they stared at us with totally blank faces. They said in stern voices, “Why would anyone ever want to watch a video on their computer when they have a TV? We just don’t see that happening.” Our web company did not get much further. The idea of viral videos and live streaming content was something that people couldn’t quite wrap there heads around. Something came along soon after called YouTube and we all know how that story goes.

They say that a lot of things in life are about being in the right place at the right time. Right now between packing lunches, picking up the kids and running a business, @moonfrye is enjoying a little time on Twitter. I love it, and who knows maybe a mom network is just what us moms need now. Hmm. Moms. Could be a big idea.

Editor’s Note: Soleil Moon Frye is known to millions of television viewers as Punky Brewster. An actress, writer and director, she is the co-owner of The Little Seed, an eco-friendly children’s clothing boutique in Los Angeles. Follow her on Twitter.

Filed under: Technology • Twitter
  1. Estrellita11

I love u S O L E I L...U made me remember my chilhood wich was so happy and i lived with my grandparents and really love them and they love me as well......
    When I arrived from school I took a bath, ate my favorite meal, prepared by my grandma, did my homework and then I used to take a break for watch punky brewster show wich i love and was my favorite.....and also my grandma was diagnosed with alzhimers disease....so I understand u a lot.......I also like to write, and I was in a theather company in my country.....I love u girl.....God bless u...and ur family...xoxooxoxooxox big hug from Puerto Rico..........=)~

December 13, 2009 at 6:54 am |
  2. Lorie

In June of this year, I kind of reluctantly signed up with Twitter not really knowing what I was getting myself into. Now, more than 6 months later, I'm "twitterpated" and totally addicted. I've been following @moonfry from my very early days on Twitter and I always find her tweets to be pure and down to earth. She shares her thoughts on her obsession with Twitter when she can't sleep, cute things her children have said or done, how proud she is of her husband's accomplishments, etc. I follow a lot of my friends who I don't get to see very often, ones I see all the time, my favorite rocks bands and artists as well as a slew of my favorite celebrities. Sometimes, but not very often, I'll send a tweet to one of my celebrity "friends" and I'll actually get a tweet back. Most recently I received tweets from Milla Jovovich and Kathy Valentine, formerly of the Go-Go's. I have Twitter synched with my Facebook and MySpace pages so updating is made easy. Twitter isn't just a way of life for me – it's an essential part of my life.

December 13, 2009 at 4:45 am |
  3. Paul Benson

twitter is cool a way to see the dayly life of our stars that we have grown up with and love.. with out the media exployting them in a harmful way... the only down fall about it is that they dont like talking to there fans.. or responing back to there comments... Soleil Moon Frye is very gifted and seems like a wonderful women and i have admired her since her punky brewster days.. and probley will always be a big fan of hers

December 13, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  4. karen Boyd

My life is like a sad series of what can go wrong, WILL. Have possible upcoming brain surgery (new Tech),at 49 I have a chance for 1st time to be happy,and my True Friends and Support are My Twitter Family! Love You 'NUTBALLS"

December 12, 2009 at 12:49 am |
  5. Lloyd

Twitter is sync'd to facebook, myspace, myyearbook and my yahoo. I thought Yahoo360 was a great blog site until yahoo terminated the site. Now I twitter around the worldwide web.

December 12, 2009 at 12:46 am |
  6. Staci

Soleil is quite a beacon for moms, women, cogs in the hollywood machine and anyone striving to better inform themselves one person at a time. Truly enjoy her tweets and looking forward to many more thought provoking discussions.

December 11, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  7. 1karen

Sharing the soul is made up of the mind and heart together... the mind as rudder, either carnal or spiritual depending upon what your mind is fed (which wants renewal daily). When feeding carnal, in concert with a carnal body; one's weaker/worldlier side dominates - the norm for a lot of people, resulting in multiple kinks and a lot of concerns. When fed spiritual, one's higher being is in charge, so-to-speak; and amazing events can take place, along with a healthier, more emotionally intimate life style. (Not to say the physical in a relationship isn't astoundingly wonderful and wanted, the body just shouldn't be in charge of one's entire being and existence.) Just thought you might enjoy a true perspective, considering your love of the connection between mind and heart - a critically important interaction of grace.

December 11, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  8. Emily

Interesting reading this...well written and insightful. I think I must be one of the last people out here that has never used "twitter"!

December 11, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  9. Rita Nalette

ok, i'm twitterpated but i thought it might be a character failing. it is a pleasure to know that while i may have numerous character flaws tweeting isn't one of them.

it is fun to tweet Pride and Predjudice in 140 characters.

thank you for sharing.

December 11, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  10. fabrizio carta

Brilliant writer, so simple and effective, look forward to know her work

December 11, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  11. Julia

Twitter is fun and I am way too addicted.

December 11, 2009 at 2:26 pm |
  12. Michelle

I agree Twitter brings power to the masses.
    It keeps you in touch with people and events.

December 11, 2009 at 12:40 pm |
  13. Dr Rand Pink

We find Soleil to be genuine and real which is refreshing in Hollywood since many celebrities are afraid of transparancy.

Her genius like Twitter starts with simplicity. As Twitter asks What's happening, she has a question of the day that just screams participation.

A beautiful family, a perfect MILT, (Mother I'd Like To Tweet) we salute her.
    I see so many affected "celebs" and she's keeping it real so its obvious why people are attracted to her.

Happy Hanukkah Got Latkes and remember Make Brisket Not War