December 11th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Tiger Woods Taking Break From Golf

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tiger Woods is taking an "indefinite break" from golf. He posted this announcement on this web site tonight:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period."

What do you think of Tiger's decision? Share your thoughts below.

The announcement comes two weeks after a car accident led to the shocking fall from grace for the world's No. 1 golfer, which included allegations of numerous extramarital affairs.

After the crash, Woods apologized for "transgressions" that "let his family down." Those comments came just as the magazine US Weekly published a report alleging Woods had an affair with a cocktail waitress.

Woods and his wife, Elin, have been married five years and have two children.

Tonight, we'll have the all the angles on Woods' decision. Could his break from the sport impact his endorsements?

We have put together a panel of sports journalists to weigh in on Woods' annoucement.

One of them is Christine Brennan, of USA Today, who wrote this about the golf star, "What Tiger Woods has caused to happen to himself and his image over the past two weeks is the sports world's most remarkable fall from grace, ever. No athlete has ever held a perch so high in our culture – right up there with President and Mrs. Obama, and Oprah – and fallen so far so fast."

Join us for this story and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET on CNN. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Bill J

And to Sharon,KS It's everyone's business! Those who bought his products...watched him on TV... got inspiration from him we have money time and inspiration invested in him! He let people down........That clean squeaky image he tried to portray was a lie!

December 12, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  2. Femi

Big deal, Tiger did what some men do. Don’t agree with him cheating because he made a very important vow but we never know what his wife was putting him through in doors or the stress of playing golf at an international level. despite being a billionnaire. The guy is human and he will be back if we let the guy sort out his personal life.

We need to spend the time talking about what the American people really care about the Health Insurance reform or job, job, jobs.

December 12, 2009 at 1:33 am |
  3. Gretchen

Good for Nike! What a slap in the face to Tiger's wife and children.
    I would not buy a THING with Nike brand. He is no role model for
    anyone. Why companies stand behind these people who are
    dregs of society is beyond me! Nike should find a clean cut
    American with no "baggage" to endorse. I am sure there are plenty
    out there. Mothers and wives will be the ones who agree with me on
    this subject. My heart aches for his wife; its good to know she has support of her own family!

December 12, 2009 at 1:27 am |
  4. Mary

I think any one that follows sports is disapointed in what has gone on with Tiger. Personally I think its none of our business what happens in his personal life. The part that I dont understand is he is so smart in his business dealings what made him so stupid in his private life? He had to know better than to keep so many records of what he was saying and to who. I love to watch him play as he is the best. I feel its time that reporters find other things to talk about and leave personal lives alone. I find that the media is the one that is making the most of this not his wife. I dont think he needs to talk to any one other than his wife and family. He owes no one an explanation.

December 12, 2009 at 1:26 am |
  5. sandi

I also dont feel that he needs to explain anything to us...we are not his wife or family!!!! Those are the only people he needs to explain himself to!!!

December 12, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  6. rita w.

I think Mr. Woods should take an "indefinite break" from something!

December 12, 2009 at 1:10 am |
  7. Tito

I have to agree with Tiger's indefinite leave of golf. FAMILY COMES FIRST! Tiger's career, success, tournament wins, endorsements, etc stay here on earth when he passes away! His family will be with him through eternity. Which one do you think is more important? Plus, his children's lives are at stake! He is one of the most sought out role models in this country and maybe even planet...He HAS to do the extreme for his wife and children. He has to show his family that yeah he messed up, but he's willing to give up everything, even the game he loves and was born to play FOR them!
    AND I dont agree with what most are saying about his career will be ruined. Hes is a great athlete and the 'Best' that golf has ever seen! The same thing will happen in golf when Tiger left because of Knee surgury. Golf's rating will be low, people will be begging for him to come back AND want him to make the ultimate comeback. His career will blossom even more by asking forgiveness from his family and sacrificing everything for them. That's my take!

December 11, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  8. Dave in CT

Infidelity is just too rampant among athletes, politcians and famous people. Fame, power and money corrupt the heart and the fall to temptations weakens integrity. Any career where one travels alot and spouses are separated are very vulnerable to infidelity.

It's sad what the panel is saying now that it's no surprise that athletes cheat. Shows how morally corrupt our country has become.

Marriage is no longer honored and viewed as a lifelong commitment, a covenant ordained by God as a man and a woman's ultimate expression of love.

December 11, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  9. Jay

Despicable! Married with two beautiful healthy children. This man did not have just one but MULTIPLE, MULTIPLE affairs! The truth is that he has no character. No respect. No integrity. No conscious. No morals. That is the reality! There is no excuse for his actions. I hope that his wife leaves him. He does not deserve her. She is to good for him.

December 11, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  10. vinodh

If Tiger was living in Europe this story would not of played out like this. In North America people are way too obsessed with the rich and so called famous. Human nature is not the most pleasant thing to analize. The words that we use like "the image he portrayed" means nothing. Isn't it really how we the people portrayed him. He's a great golfer and that's it to me.

December 11, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

It's just the usual dissappointment.

December 11, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  12. ROBERT

TIGER WILL BE BACK

December 11, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  13. hurra

Hey he is human. He was not ready for marriage that's why he cheated. He did not get a chance to enjoy the fame being a bachelor.

December 11, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  14. Bea

I think Tiger taking a break from Golf is the absolute right thing to do. The guest speakers on 360 say it might ruin his career or that his wife needs her own space. Tiger putting his family before his career is the best thing for any man or woman to do.

Family is the whole point of life, not success.

I'm sure his wife really appreciates him putting her and the kids first rather than leaving her alone. The male guests on the show that think his wife needs her own space, should ask women what they think. As we all know, men have a hard time understanding women. Women want men to be there, support them, and spend time with them, especially when in bad times.

December 11, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  15. Harriet

I have searched my feelings on Tiger and the emotion that stands out is I just feel profoundly sad. He is the only reason I watch golf. He is just too big in golf to give it up. I hope it is only for a short while. He is admirable to take time away and I know he needs it. His golf game is going to suffer if he went back to early when he wasn't ready. There is no getting away from it.
    Many golf fans will be waiting.

December 11, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  16. Michelle Dechesne

You know what.. been there... done that... in the end result, we would have NEVER changed our ways had our "infidelities" not been revealed.

Take that break from golf, "Tiger," but it's doubtful it will do much to change your innate CHARACTER.

December 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Richard

About time Tiger is coming out about his mistakes. Its only going to cost him a few million dollars. He could disapear for the rest of his career and still have endorsements and pull in money.

December 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  18. ivonne

we are all entitled to make mistakes and have a second chance. I hope you have learned the lesson mr.woods.

December 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Sharon, KS

I disagree with the statement once a cheater always a cheater and I don't think having affairs or infidelities means you are not an integral part of your family or you are not a good father.

Perfect, you are not. Can you do better – absolutely!

But, I think basically this is no one's business except for Tiger and Elin. I am not the least bit interested in what any of the "mistresses" have to say.

I wish the world would back off and let the Woods family work it out.

December 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Allison Trolio

As a mother of two and wife of an avid golfer (although not close to the degree at tiger), I am so happy to see that tiger answered to his family BEFORE he answered to the media! He should take time off if his family is more important. Everyone makes mistakes.....but it says a lot a person the way they handle the mistakes that they make. I believe that he is showing his wife and family that they are most important. God Bless,

December 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Gilles in Ottawa, Canada

Incredibly, you all seem to be worried about Tiger, his career and the game of golf. If Tiger crumbles, it's his own doing. If golf can't survive, then it's not that much of a pro sport. But c'mon folks, Arnold, Jack and others have retired and the game continues today. Stop giving him a God like status. There are only 3 victims here, his wife and children who got caught up in his phony image and web of lies.

December 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Sheila W.

Its discerning to turn on the TV and see the many news venues "yapping" about "how" Tiger should react, respond, comment, confess and any other thing he should be doing! He's trying to keep his marriage from falling apart by any means necessary! That's his only priority right now and I support his decision. Get a life and stop trying to increase ratings! This is for all shows and channels reporting!!! You spend to much time on this, and I do understand that he is the world's #1 sports figure"! But he's a man, first! Reminder: "Yea who has not sinned, cast the first stone"! Let's not find and open your Pandora boxes!!

December 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  23. Lisa

Like they say...the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Realistically, Tiger has the added burden of being involved in a rich, privileged, white man's game- golf. I have a home on a golf course and it's amazing how many people who play that game that are preoccupied with coming off as perfect. It's spooky.

December 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Julian

Tiger's biggest mistake in all of this was his getting married at all. No one would really care if he was a single man sleeping with many women. How many athletes already do it.?
    Another thought, what if Tiger never really loved golf. He was basically living his father's dream of being a golfer. Just because he is talented doesn't mean he loves the sport. Golf has made him wealthy, now he can quit. They can't take the money back from him.

December 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  25. deuntay

Everybody make mistakes!! Reports need to report some more important like the war or something..

December 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  26. Diana Weiss-Wisdom, Ph.D. Licensed Psychologist psy#12476

Two important points that I think are being missed on the CNN onair commentary:

1) How would we all feel if Tiger continued on nonpulsed to play his usual outstanding golf as if everything is fine and dandy? People would probably find fault with him for that. It seems appropriate and compassionate to his family that he take a significant break.

2) If Tiger is distressed (which one can only imagine that he is) his golf game is likely to be off so he is smart to wait it out.

December 11, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Andrew

Personally I think everyone should get of tiger woods nuts and let him take care of his OWN business.

December 11, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Noella

Golf will survive without Tiger Woods, there are many new and exciting players besides Tiger...he always annoyed me anyways.

December 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Gilles in Ottawa, Canada

I can't believe what I am seeing. It is so clear that every move made by Tiger is to promote himself as a victim. He lies until faced with facts and proof. He is not contrite if he was he would stop issuing statements, probably written by his staff, on his website. He is a coward for not facing it head on, in person, in an interview.

And, finally, if Golf depends on one man to survive, well, maybe it's not worth it. But don't forget, great golfers, and greater men such as Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and others have retired and golf has moved on. Stop giving this man the God status that he does not deserve.

December 11, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  30. michelle

If Tiger Wood's was not caught, he would not have apologized for his actions; he is dishonest, phony, and a dog. I am tired of those in the spot light always saying "I'm sorry." only when they are caught or up against the wall. LOL. I am sure Tiger is embrassed that of his actions only because he was caught. That is the reason why he is pulled out - he cannot face the world.

December 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. georgia Kruusi

I wonder why it is when these high power men are doing what they are doing...they are calling them having "sex addiction", now an illness??? Women are called "whores"!!

December 11, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  32. Teresa, Oh

Let's see... he had golf and he had his womins...

So if he is taking a break from golf, what does that leave him to do?

Work on his marriage? He has no marriage.

My two cents worth: I think the death of Tiger's father threw Tig into an emotional pit. In his efforts to find out how to "feel", he went to the wrong people. Not smart, but fixable if one wanted to fix it.

Elin: lay low... gather your wits... and get a good lawyer for you and the kids.

@Treschanson: unfortunately, celebs dont have the priviledge of a 100% personal life and that was in the unwritten contract when a celeb agrees to pocket tons of money for doing what they want to do.

December 11, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  33. khym

I love Tiger woods as a golfer, he has made a very huge mistake in his personal life, my heart goes out to his wife and kids. i don't think he needed to take time off but since its a personal problem it does make sense........... but jeez i am tired of the ridiculous media coverage

December 11, 2009 at 9:57 pm |
  34. Linda reynolds

He thought he was above reproch. No one is.

December 11, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  35. Treschanson

I actually don't want to pry into someone's personal life. We all have the problem of our own. Nobody's perfect and we will learn from our weaknesses, don't you think?

December 11, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  36. sara

You can be sure the biggest regret Tiger has, is, being caught, and the only thing he is trying to salvage is his tarnished image, such as it is. The last few weeks we have seen the real Tiger Woods, not the product of a great PR team. The fact that he is on display for the whole world to see must just piss him off. His wife is going to have big broad shoulders if she is going to give him a second chance, most women would not be so generous, but Tiger knows he needs her , she should remeember one thing, better not turn her back, because once a cheater always a cheater, especially on his level!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 11, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  37. Linda B., Ga.

He's doing the right thing. Hopefully he can repair the damage to his marriage and can soon return to the sport of Golf. Wheter others agree with me or not, TIGER is still and will be the BEST in his sport for many years to come.

Now perhaps the Press, Newspaper/News Networks and RAG SHEETS will leave him alone and let him get on with what he has to do.

December 11, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  38. George

Mr Woods. Some advice from real men. Next time try this line I heard on a song, "Wasn't Me". If that doesnt work, then you must DENY, DENY, DENY. Take notes if you have to.

December 11, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  39. Christopher Hart

What our children must think of us.I personally invite Tiger to stop by my house and explain to my kids why they won't be seeing him for a little while.When you choose a certain life, there are responsibilities that extend beyond you. There is no judgement here...but it would be really nice if I didn't have to handle this one.

December 11, 2009 at 9:12 pm |
  40. Annie Kate

Tiger did have a long way to fall,but he could have kept it more private by talking to police directly after the accident and clearing up what had happened – his silence on the matter just focused more attention on him and the rumors that were being circulated. I hope his break from sports is helpful in him patching his family back together; I'm sure life in a fishbowl like these celebrities live, is a lot harder than we think. Hope the cost of his professional career is not his family. Looking forward to what others have to say on the subject tonight.

December 11, 2009 at 9:08 pm |
  41. Chasing Hunter Jones

Courageous words spoken by a coward who got caught. He would've continued his philandering lifestyle had this scandal not become public. The only thing he's sorry about is that his ruse is now over and he's being forced to be a real man for his family for fear of losing his empire, not his loved ones. His regret lies in the tangled web he wove not because it was wrong but because it has cost him his pristine reputation. Someone whom feels true shame for their misdoings to their loved ones don't do it countless times only to stop because the tabloids caught up with them. Elin should do as he has done to her and the kids and strip him of everything that matters to him, which is his money and fame.

December 11, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  42. Isabel Siaba (Brazil)

Hello Maureen! Happy Friday!

Mistakes we all commented. The worst is seeing life turned upside down, everyone commenting on its particularities and judging him!

See you.... Thanks!

December 11, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  43. Sacha

Tiger made the right decision to take a break. You reap what you sow. He is a great pro golfer, thus the trophies, endorsements and fame. He was an unfaithful husband, thus his wife's bashing and shame.

This is his wake up call! He's putting his family before work, money and fame. I'm hoping that the relationships with his wife and family will heal.

In the meantime, the public shouldn't cast stones at him. What's happening to his life is just a mirror of what many people do.

December 11, 2009 at 9:05 pm |
  44. V Wolsk, NYC

I don't get the uproar over Tiger. President Clinton got away with his infidelities and remained President. Why is this destroying Tiger Woods career? I can't help but wonder if the race card is coming up again. Interesting Ms. Brennan compares him to the Obamas and Oprah. Did some people think he was "too uppity?"

December 11, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  45. monica

At least he is being honest. And, at some point he an Elin have to determine where there struggles will get the...divorce or a stronger, healthier, faithful connectio, that decision is theirs and theirs alone. The press and public should respect that.

December 11, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  46. Ill Susan

Good for him.

Even without the "endless" travel demanded as a professional golfer, the incorporation of children into a relationship is a very trying and difficulty time. Perceptions and attentions change.

Tiger is lucky enough to have the financial security to be able to do this. He may end up doing what some golfers seem to do – have the family travel with him. (And I rather think his wife will prefer this in the future.) It's just more than a bit difficulty with 2 tiny ones.

Endorsements will likely taper until things are on steady enough ground that he pops into a few tournaments now and again.

December 11, 2009 at 8:55 pm |