AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
November 25th, 2009

Evening Buzz: White House Party Crashers

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Security is supposed to be top-notch at The White House.  But somehow a couple that wasn't invited to last night's state dinner got inside the party tent, and within feet of the President. The intruders even brag about it on their Facebook page.

The couple took a lot of photos. There's a snapshot with Vice President Joe Biden, another with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and many others.  We'll show you the party photos tonight on 360°. We'll also have details on the intruders who are reportedly aspiring reality TV stars.

Tonight the Secret Service released this statement:

"The Secret Service has tasked our Office of Professional Responsibility with conducting a comprehensive review of the incident which occurred at the White House State Dinner last night.

Initial findings identified a Secret Service checkpoint which did not follow proper procedures to ensure that the 2 individuals named in a Washington Post story were on the invited guest list.

It is important to note that these individuals went through magnetometers and other levels of security, as did all guests attending the dinner."

Join us for this story and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Scott, FL

They lied to a Federal Officer. Prosecute them and send them to jail. They are no different than anyone else who commits a serious crime. Regardless of who might have not fulfilled their job requirements during the event. This is a felony and needs to be addressed and prosecuted as such.

November 27, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  2. Gary

I think these PARTY CRASHERS should be treated as enemies of the state and should be Immediately arrested by our "homeland security" and isolated from everyone and a searc h made for their accomplices. The successes and failures of this search is the only reporting that should be seen on our airwaves. Guantanamo- style imprisonment is suitable for this offense.

Each photograph taken at the dinner of or by these felons must be confiscated by our goverment and used to investigate . I would think the person or persons filming the planning efforts for this security breach at our WHITE HOUSE should be immediately arrested ALONG WITH THEIR FILM being confiscated with no contact with our news people and charged equally as felons as their idenity is uncovered. How long would you have to wait before our president would consider accepting a State Dinner invitation to a country where this was possible? Now is as good a time as any to make this much needed apology to our allies and to the American people. LOCK THESE PEOPLE UP --TODAY.

November 26, 2009 at 1:00 pm |
  3. Mary

First, Happy Thanksgiving!

The stunt made me angry for several reaons but the most important one is how incompatent all the guards, office help, security, and the Chief of Staff and the Vice President was by not realizing these two did not belong. Hell, they even got announced as they walked in. I can't believe no one had a red flag up.

The President is hiring new people left and right, not only for his administratve team but for every government organization in the US. Does this mean we are going to have people like the individuals at that dinner runing the federal government? Is no one affraid?

I worked for the feds for 25 years and they do not have enough to do, trust me I was in management for over 18 years and trying to get some of the employee's to work was a major challenge. I finally took an early out when I was 42. I had 25 yrs in and could not wait to leave.

November 26, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  4. Eleanor

These 2 people need to serve jail time - the maximum prescribed by law - for their felonies.

That is the only thing they will understand and it will let it be known that there is zero tolerance for such felonies.

(I haven't heard anyone connect this with the balloon boy crime. Reality tv wannabees are becoming pretty brazen and shameless.)

November 26, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  5. Richard Elves Jr.

This breach in security is terrible, and we need to do something fast.
    This goes to show just how vulnerable we really are and how laxed are president is over security in our country. We need to put these intruders in federal prison, & give the maximum sentence allowed by law.

November 26, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  6. Thomas

This couple needs a reality check, not a reality show. They need to be prosecuted. Perhaps they can enter another federal building and stay for a few months. Free food, no cover charge, no security checks. Just prison.
    This is too close and too serious to be considered funny at all.

November 26, 2009 at 8:35 am |
  7. bcbell

Next walk I want to see them on is a PERP WALK...GOING TO JAIL...and not in 'horse country, but the 'big house'.

November 26, 2009 at 8:05 am |
  8. Zenaida

The beautiful blond hair, the assured poise, and the sari-like red gown with a transparent over the shoulder-wrap that sophisticatedly revealed a hint of the mid-riff “blinded” the security officers. They were embarassed to ask the couple becaue they thought they should know them. I seldom go through security easily, even in concerts with my ticket on hand. They go through my purse. I am brown with dark hair. I learned never to dress casually and even in a queue, to walk side by side with my husband who holds my hand. He is tall and blond.

November 26, 2009 at 6:02 am |
  9. Marian Smith

The "party crashers' at the White House is another example of loose security in this country. This couple should get an award, not a sentence for outwitting the security of Secret Service . Secret Service should get the media's attention for unmitigated admonishment.. Metal detectors are not enough- this couple did not need to bring in metal to jeapardize lives. If we can't protect our President and guests, how do we score on National security?
    This parallels to the lenient attitude of the United States. We allow everyone to come into our country and armed services without checking profiles. We need better "Profiling" laws to protect United States citizens.
    Again, the worst criminals are the ones that fit in.

November 26, 2009 at 5:56 am |
  10. Frank Rouse

Hi Everyone,

I grew up in the Washington, D.C. area and this is in fact a little known rouse that people pull along the Potomac via interest groups or official meetings. Usually it is starving college students or staff pretending to be constituents looking for the fine fair and fun, not to mention members of the opposite sex.... I can't remember anyone doing it this high up before today but I'm sure it has already been done. I guess everyone will be talking about this one at the Thanksgiving table, yes?. All these people needed to say was, "We're not on the guest list?" "Honey, they say we are not on the guest list", to not be lying. My guess is that the person with the hand held paper list could not keep up with the flow of people coming to the party. Too bad. They'll get the hang of this White House thing sooner or later.

Another item. People keep talking about magnetometers. You mean metal detectors right? A mag will only find ferrous metal objects and large ones at that. The press etc keeps using the word magnetometer but I don't think this is what they mean. Keep up the good work!

Happy Thanksgiving!

FR

November 26, 2009 at 5:36 am |
  11. lee

this is a laughing matter,this whole administration is a laughing matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 26, 2009 at 2:32 am |
  12. Nancy

When will these people be arrested? This is terrible, the amount of money the secret service makes is unbelievable and not doing a good job protecting our leaders. The person(s) that allowed this to happen should be fired. We do not need another President killed in this country. I do not see the humor in such a serious act.

November 26, 2009 at 2:32 am |
  13. Felix

Should the couple be prosecuted? or should the president be glad this couple got the attention to the poor and worthless security they have at the white house.? It Is thanksgiving. I think, the president should be thanksful...

November 26, 2009 at 2:26 am |
  14. Don Dolin

I think this was the ultimate party crashing. I find it to be hilarious. I think it to be very bad of the white house security ! But that being said I find it to be very funny. I can't wait to see it as a sketch on saturday night live. Or on Jay Leno, as some kind of a joke. I wonder what comedian Chris Rock would say ?

November 26, 2009 at 2:22 am |
  15. james200809

i think the President should increase security at the white house & the couple should be find or sentenced

November 26, 2009 at 2:19 am |
  16. Michael

How is it possible for anyone to breach White House security in this day and age?UNACCEPTABLE SECURITY BREACH! Someone needs there Butt chewed !

November 26, 2009 at 2:19 am |