November 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 11/18/09

We have breaking news from Capitol Hill. Senate Democrats have revealed their health care bill. Plus, Sarah Palin speaking out about the Ft. Hood massacre. And, we have part two of our special report "Killings at the Canal: The Army Tapes."

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

@Gloria allright didn't intend to go over a pt too much. Good night.

Good night everyone.

November 19, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

@Anthonia-Bay Area!

We shall find out tomorrow evening, hopefully. Stay-tune!

Good Night Everyone! It's been interesting.

November 18, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

@Gloria, it comes back to knowing how the crime was uncovered.

Could a lawyer intervene in a lengthy questioning session of a soldier? Could a lawer communicate confidentially with Sgt Leehy?

November 18, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  4. Terri Johnson

My heart goes out to these three soldiers and thier families, we can not even begin to imagine the devistation they face everday. I believe this impairs the judgment of these men, afterall they are only human, and can only consume so much disaster and loss. I believe that the soliders without choice, "live for that moment" and cannot see the reprocussions of such acts. After all they just want to get home to thier families alive, they dont want to go to prison, I feel they are put into combat and its a struggle everyday just to stay alive.

November 18, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  5. Carlos Valdez /From Piedras Negras Coah. MX.

Good evening Anderson
    I always follow the CNN news, I live across the border from Texas in the Mexican side, I have a full respect for the US military forces, but do not agree with the sentences given to the 3 men involved in the killings in the Canal, this are respectful soldiers that are dealing against terrorist and I’m sure they are taken by the moment and the fear of the war and I’m sure the circumstances push them to make this mistake…
    Keep up the good work….

November 18, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  6. forrest

well put, anderson. this is an extremely difficult situation. none of us can imagine how we would have reacted if put in those soldiers' situation. of course murder is always unforgivable, but as you know better than i, these kids are under relentless psychological and physical pressure and when you're 25-ish and your and your friends lives are constantly in jeopardy, how are you supposed to know how to react? I regret to say that perhaps the answer may be to re-institute the draft so not only more personnel will become available, but also so that our country's sacrifices will be spread out more evenly and those in power might exercise better judgement before putting our/ their children in harm's way.

November 18, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  7. J.R.Shellington T

I'm a Vietnam veteran who served in the Infantry and had a number of occassions where we captured Viet cong supects before and after fire fights and never committed such crimes as these soldiers. Army training and protocal to maximum extent possible stated that we to treat enemy combatants as we would want to be treated if the shoe was on the other foot. Bottom line – this is lead

November 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

@Daivd, Indiana

I understanding what is going on, really I do.

November 18, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  9. Ellena

I find it funny that America wants to prosecute our soldiers for lining human up and killing them, but shoting women and children from an aircraft and droping bombs on entire communities......Well thats not murder silly?!?!?!

November 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  10. Lcpl James

ive been to iraq and these men were only doing what the thought would make there chances better on getting home

November 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

How did the events at the canal come to be known? Can anyone help me with that?

Two pts about the President Obama's press conference with South Korean President Lee. I thought Iran was already "at yes" with the US proposal (about how uranium could be processed–shipped out of the country and then returned ready for medical use. Is it the US view that there is a need for more direct follow through in person meetings? What does Iran need to do now?

November 18, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  12. Ellena

I have no doubt that Heather provoked this situation, however, she dosen't deserve 15 years, but she dosen't deserve the worlds attention either

November 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  13. Eugenia

Law Enforcement is not going around killing suspects. The soldiers were wrong and this will have a very negative impact on the US.

November 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  14. Anthonia-Bay Area!

@Gloria- That i completely true. But where did they keep the bodies then?

November 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  15. john phillips

Having served three combat tours in Iraq I feel the soldiers who took it upon themselves to execute the four detainees was wrong. They had no right to take human life and should have known better before they commited murder.

November 18, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  16. Rebekah

I have family and friends that have served in all the wars from ww2 to vietnam to the first desert storm to now. War is a totally different mentality, unless we've watched our friends die beside us or had an enemy shooting at us or even just been trying to stay alive, we have no real concept of what these people are going through. I can't say what they did was wrong, but more how they did it. It would be extremely frustrating to capture people that are just put back on the streets to kill more and more americans, friends and family.

November 18, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  17. Peter Dion

Question: Did the soldiers involved in the canal killings have a lawyer present during their interrogation? Was it permitted? Is this right?

November 18, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is not a crime if there is no body.

November 18, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  19. Ed McCabe

We put the troops in a tuff spot, but maybe the real problem is with the deal that allows the turn over and imeditiate release of insugents. I think the NCOs were making a survival decision.

November 18, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  20. Blaine

About the Ellis case I believe maybe she made up the being beaten by the cops because I haven't heard anything about any pictures or anything taken. But I'm not sure if she hit anyone either. She may have acted rowdy, but does that really deserve 15 years in prison.

November 18, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

@Gloria, there is a leading aspect to the questions being asked of Sgt Leehy. Sgt Leehy's lawyer, if there, should've raised an objection? Is the soldier's lawyer present? He would need his or her, the lawyer's, advice. Did he receive that advice?

November 18, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  22. Blaine

I want to know how this is the first time he is killed someone? If he is an infantryman wouldn't he have at least shoot at an enemy?

November 18, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

@starr formerly known as vincent I disagree, these soldiers were holding handcuffed and blindfolded detainees as I understand. Were they in the midst of combat? I thought the fog of war referred to the inaccuracies and confusion in the middle of action. I do wonder about the interrogation of the soldiers. Good talking with you. Good night.

@Emily Good night hope to see you tomorrow too.

November 18, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  24. Anthonia-Bay Area!

Those soldiers are GUILTY!

November 18, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  25. Blaine

I would just like to know how many times this happens weekly out there on the battlefield. I'm pretty positive this isn't the first time something very similar has happened on current warzones, and I know it has happened in the past, accidental or vindictive. This is a terrible tragedy, and i do not condone in the killing of another human being, but I do not believe the sentence fits the crime.

November 18, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  26. Robert

The Heather Ellis trial should not be a matter of racial discrimination. Several witnesses have testified to her actions. As far as their being other, more dangerous people on the streets. If she is not prosecuted for her actions, this sends a signal to others that they are above the law! Including those more dangerous criminals!

November 18, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  27. Steve - southern Illinois

@Carol

We didn't decide the outcome for those soldiers. The Army did.

November 18, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  28. David, Indiana

@Emily the picture I get is that Major Hasan was isolated and conflicted because of his beliefs, but the officer he worked for at Fort Hood seems to have a positive view of Major Hasan. Maybe she managed to "quash the 'fears'" somewhat. He seems to be troubled and in need of help throughout his career.

That was a comprehensive from President Obama about US policy toward Iran.

15 years I don't get that at all for Heather Ellis. Why couldn't the court work this out between the two parties.

November 18, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im finding it really hard to believe that they do not have a video showing Ellis out in front of the store with the police. What about a video of the store entrance?

November 18, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  30. lisal .canada

I agree - you would think this a would be more of a "don't come into this store anymore" rather than "15 years in jail" case. If she had shop-lifted something, she might be up for the death penalty.

November 18, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  31. Matt Smith, Los Angeles

Where does Wal-Mart stand on the situation?

November 18, 2009 at 11:11 pm |