November 5th, 2009

Prayers for Fort Hood tonight…

Soldiers gather outside of Fort Hood.

Soldiers gather outside of Fort Hood.

Arsalan Iftikhar
AC360° Contributor
Founder,
TheMuslimGuy.com

First of all, as an American, my heart broke into two pieces tonight when I heard of the tragic mass murder at Fort Hood, Texas earlier this evening when a U.S. Army soldier opened fire on a military processing center at Fort Hood in Texas on Thursday; killing at least 12 people and wounding at least 31 others, according to Army officials in a report to CNN.

Secondly, as a Muslim, my heart further broke into another two pieces when it was learned that the Fort Hood shooter was a Muslim mental health care professional medical doctor who (similar to the April 16, 2007 Virginia Tech massacre) used two handguns during his mass murder rampage.

Thus, with my heart currently broken into four distinct pieces right now, needless to say, I am completely speechless (and bumfuzzled) by this latest tragedy at Fort Hood.

According to CNN, the gunman (who was apparently captured alive by emergency personnel) was later identified as U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, 39.

Read More...

Filed under: Arsalan Iftikhar • Military
  1. meenas17

Shooting twelve, injuring 31 ,still alive.

November 6, 2009 at 10:06 am |
  2. Jon Doe

I wanted to add that the officer that was shot was Officer Munley and she was not the only one who shot the suspect. Another officer returned fire striking the suspect in the chest two times disabling the suspect.

November 6, 2009 at 6:29 am |
  3. Jon M

My heart goes out to all those affected by this senseless act of violence against our troops. All I can say is that Maj. Hasan is nothing but a coward. I believe that when he learned of his first deployment he began planning this. If he was such a coward he should have just put the gun in his own mouth and pulled the trigger. The military has no room for people not willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. As a veteran myself, I find this to be disgusting and a slap in the face to all veterans. Again, my deepest sympathy to the families and friends of the victims.

November 6, 2009 at 5:33 am |
  4. Debbie7

If Hasan's point was to get out of going to war I think he succeeded.

I think he was only out for a free ride from our country, citizen or not. Why not get educated, get a high paying job on the backs of loyal americans. He must have thought he would have have been able to forgo being deployed.

It's ironic he thought he was religous enough not to kill other muslums but not enough to kill other US Solders.

If people made an issue about his ethnicity with a name like Hasan..then he just proved thier point.

Sleeper cell or bully syndrome.

November 6, 2009 at 3:46 am |
  5. Anthony Deal

God Bless Fort Hood, TX

November 6, 2009 at 2:30 am |
  6. joseph s

what do i tell my kids about all the killings at the fort hood im getting scared myself .

November 6, 2009 at 1:13 am |
  7. rhonda jenkins

This is a horrific tradgedy.We are from houston and have been just heartfelt for these men and women who have given so much, not just for our country but for the meaning of selflessness. My son of 20 yrs, is about to leave for bootcamp in the army. This touches home in more ways than one. The amount of senseless lives lost for our country has to stop. My son has taken on such a pride and honorship of the united states army and he's not even left for bootcamp yet, that it brings me to tears. The commraderie that he already displays makes me proud to be an United States Army Mom..God Bless all lives that have been lost ,my deepest sadness for all the families and i will keep you close to my heart..A Mom

November 5, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  8. Dean

Words are inadequate. What a horrible tragedy in Fort Hood today! My prayer is that those who were injured today and their families and friends will find some peace and comfort knowing that people all over the world are lifting them up in prayer tonight and in the days ahead.

November 5, 2009 at 11:47 pm |