AC360 Thursday 8p

Are crews preparing to move to "Plan B" in the search for Flight 370? The latest tonight live on AC360.
November 3rd, 2009

Maps: Same-sex marriage by state

Editor's Note: Don't miss Randi Kaye's report on the same-sex marriage vote tonight on AC360° at 10 p.m. ET.

AC360°

In Maine today, voters will decide whether or not to repeal a state law that would allow same-sex couples to marry. Both sides are expecting a razor thin margin of victory and early polling shows it’s too close to call. People from all over the country are watching out for the results, and donating money to try to influence it.

Take a look at these maps, from the organization 'Freedom to Marry' on the status of same-sex marriage by state:

Find more state information here.

Filed under: Gay & Lesbian Issues
  1. Terry, TX

Do not correlate homosexual marriages with Dred Scott....or the Civil Rights movement....don't pass the smell test....My personal vote is NO.
    I don't care who agrees with me.....but after reading CZAR Kevin Jennings background....the man who wants to "queer elementary education"...No...No.

November 4, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  2. Sarah Childs

The opponents of same-sex marriage successfully repealed the state law.

I feel like this is a step backwards regarding the direction our country should be headed. Love and understanding of all types of people is crucial if our country is going to pride itself on equality.

November 4, 2009 at 2:33 am |
  3. Mark Murphy

until we the LGBT community have the same rights as our straight community members get...Lets keep our money in our pockets....Lets see how they feel when our desposible money doesnt get spent.Hit them where it hurts. Stop traveling to places where we are not welcome.Travel to places with gay marrage?doesnt Sweden have gay marrage,maybe they want our money. I am keeping my money in my pocket this holiday season

November 4, 2009 at 1:34 am |
  4. Janine from PA.

Religious groups are spending millions to defeat same sex marriage laws, laws that are civil not religious. How many hungry children could they have fed with that money? How many people could they have helped with that money? They should be ashamed of themselves.

November 4, 2009 at 1:33 am |
  5. Tyler

Bottom line, minority's rights shouldn't be voted upon by the public. Do you think we would have had any progress with African-American rights or Women's Rights? It makes me sick that people are fighting to deny other people's happiness. Divorce should be illegal if same-sex marriage is.

November 4, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  6. Julie McGillivray

It is still amazing to me that referendums which allow the majority of citizens the ability to vote on the civil rights of the minority. How this practice of referendums evade the protections afforded by the constitution, I just don't know.

Somehow, a boston tea party is needed again to show America that taxation and suppression without representation is just plain un-American. We're fighting against theocracy based movements in Afganistan, yet we allow zealots in our own country to minimize the rights of gays and lesbians.

When will Americans stop trampling the rights of their fellow Americans?

November 4, 2009 at 12:30 am |
  7. Kenneth C. Harris

I personally feel as if same-sex marriages should be leagalized throughout the United States. I personally feel that a same-sex couple shouldn't have to leave where they stay and go another state to show their love for each other. But as I look like at that maps I've got to say that I'm very surprised that alot more western states haven't legalized same-sex marriages. Being perfectly honest I don't see any of the Southern states approving same-sex marriages anytime soon, if at all. Since I stand behind same-sex marriages I would be glad to see the day when all 50 states legalize this issue.

November 3, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  8. Aurea

Voted no 1 earlier this week. People need to understand that it's not about sex. It's about the right to be equal. There was a time in the states where it was illegal for biracial couples to marry. This is the same fight.

November 3, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Cecil

Why not just eliminate marriage and then everyone can live with whomever they wish and you can even have multiple partners and everyone lives happily every after..............that's where its headed!

November 3, 2009 at 9:10 pm |
  10. Matt C.

I really hope that same sex marriage passes in Maine; its about time that the people recognize that someone's bedroom behavior does not affect the way they perform at work or function in society. Gay people have thoughts and feelings too; and they pay taxes like the rest of us! Don't they deserve something as basic as marriage?

November 3, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  11. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Map interesting!

I hope one day there equal rights everywhere in America and Brazil.

November 3, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  12. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The slavery comparison is pretty far fetched. If gays focused on cilvil unions instead of the more derisive all or nothing approach, more states would have legal parity with gay civil unions. The majority of Americans back civil union, but not gay marriage.

November 3, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  13. Mari

Conservatives fear anything or anyone who is different from them. They live in fear of diversity.

November 3, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  14. alicenyc

Its like California all over again. They just passed a bill protecting gays and lesbians as well as others against hate. How can give the option to folks who may hate them anyway. I am not gay, but I do not believe I have the right to decide this for anyone else. i have to worry about my own relationship. I hope they do not repeal this again. Let gays, straight, lesbians live their lives. And for all those right wing christiians, you need to spend more time reading a bible on your own, and so you can realize that the most important thiing a christian can do in this life is offer compassion, and never judge others, its in the bible

November 3, 2009 at 6:27 pm |
  15. Ashley H, Canada

God, just allow gay marriage already. Who are we to say that just because someone is gay that automatically strips them of their marital rights?And right's in general? It won't hurt anyone to allow it.

November 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  16. Scott Salbo

I say that States that allow Homosexuals to marry (I support this right) should refuse to honor the marriage certificates of anyone coming from a State that refuses to recognize gay marriages performed legally in other States.
    This bares a striking resemblance to "Dred Scott", where free states were forced to acknowledge the slave/property status of African Americans who escaped states with legal slavery.

November 3, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  17. Annie Kate

Great Maps – provide a good quick look where all the states stand. I'm not surprised that the Bible Belt South is up there with anti-marriage and relationship laws or constitutional amendments although I would have thought Louisiana would have been more progressive with NOLA. I was also surprised that so many midwest and western states lined up with the Southern states. Used to (at least for heterosexual couples) if you married in one state it was recognized in all states by virtue of state reciprocity – I don't see why it can't be the same in this case.

November 3, 2009 at 5:19 pm |
  18. obamaisatrainedliar

When a people honor sin, such a nation becomes a shame. When the wicked flourish such a nation becomes a garbage heap. Remember Rome, no wonder why many approve of a lawless man like Obama. Jesus Christ is the way of TRUE change!

November 3, 2009 at 5:15 pm |