October 29th, 2009

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate

Randi Kaye | BIO
AC360° Correspondent

Tonight on AC360, at 10pm eastern, I’ll be looking at the online campaign by folks who consider themselves “anti-vaxers.” These people are trying to scare others into not getting the swine flu vaccine. They say it could paralyze you. They say it hasn’t been tested on humans. They say it can cause cancer and autism and kill unborn babies. The swine flu vaccine back in 1976 did cause paralysis in some...and hundreds of families sued back then saying their loved ones died as a result of the vaccine.

What do believe? Are you planning to get vaccinated? What about your kids?

Filed under: H1N1 • Randi Kaye
  1. lisa thompson

I'm so afraid to. have a 14 week old baby, 2 boys 7 and 12.tryin to hold out for the shot.

October 30, 2009 at 9:07 am |
  2. Mike in WV

What if there us a third wave in the spring? Better get vaccinated.

October 30, 2009 at 8:00 am |
  3. L Kahler

It's hard to say, I think we have survived far worse as a race. And then what's next??? In a world of sanatizers, disinfectants and vaccines, what kind of "superbug" are we creating when everything kills 99.9% of germs??

October 30, 2009 at 5:53 am |
  4. SG

Believing in the vaccine isn't the point, your kids need to get immunized or catch the darned thing and get immunities that way. It's stupid that entire schools are being closed. Life had a lot of risks you have to weigh them.

October 30, 2009 at 4:16 am |
  5. Lori

It may not be available to us before we catch the flu. Our peditrician recommends getting the vaccine.

October 30, 2009 at 3:48 am |
  6. Fannie

Why won't they give senior citizens the vaccination? My mother is
    84, she cannot find H1N1 vaccination, when she tell her age. No one will give it to her. My husband and I have been vaccinated. Why not vaccinate the the children and seniors first? Are they saying she's to old and have lived, out her life? Who is making these discussion?

October 30, 2009 at 2:57 am |
  7. Amanda

Scare tactics. Better to be vaccinated than not. Kind of like wearing a seat belt. It might injure you, but it's a lot more likely it'll save you.

October 30, 2009 at 2:33 am |
  8. Jeremy

Yes and already did! The seasonal flu is different each year too. There is always a brand new vaccine each year that they do for the new flu and only take 6 months. Why is this any different? Get vaccinated!

October 30, 2009 at 2:04 am |
  9. Dade

ahh, this is news to me..... i'm pretty sure i wont be getting the shot, i don't even get the seasonal flu shot

October 30, 2009 at 1:18 am |
  10. Jim Marescalco

Just a comment about closing of schools. I think it is warranted in many cases. The problem is that when these schools close, the area entertainment places such as the movie theaters, bowling alleys and other large gathering places open during the day. All they do is move the problem to a different building!

October 29, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  11. Dennis

I have been receiving the flu vacine each year since 1976 and have avoided any flu since then. I survived the last swine flu shot and after that shot, no medical organization has reported that it caused any problems other than to those allergic to eggs. The CDC has stated that no short cuts were taken in making or testing this H1N1 shot.

I've had this year's "normal" flu shot, early as usual. I have asthma and since I'm 68, I may not be able to receive the H1N1 this year. Who knows if I'm resistant. But, if I can get it even late, I'll take the shot. Anyone who passes is foolish.

October 29, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  12. Maria

I wish I knew the answer, still undecided. But let me ask you a question back: How many times a drug approved by the CDC has ultimately been withdrawn from the market because of serious side effects including death? Is lack of trust on CDC, big pharma and government entirely unjustified?

October 29, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  13. Michele

I have heard that is being rushed to production to quickly and hasn't been properly tested. This from a pharmacist who won't let her own child get it.

October 29, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  14. Mary

Having H1N1 for the past 4 days and still having a temp over 102, I say vaccinate! This illness has been torture for my family and I.

October 29, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  15. RD

I am cautiosely optimistic about it, as side effects of the vaccine is not known yet....., but the vulnerable sections of soceity do need the vaccine ASAP, because of the deadly implications of H1N1 virus..!

October 29, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  16. emily

I did. My doctor had them. There was no wait. Nurse gave nasal spray. Was done in seconds. No reactions or side affects for me or husband. Still waiting for pediatrician to get shots for my 17 month old. More nervous for her. She got a cold from the regular flu vaccine. Still will have her vccintd.

October 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Patti james

absolutely not..........none of my kids either.

October 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  18. karen

its not i dont trust our goverment its i dont trust the pharmacutical companies, and the cdc. they all benifit from all these vacines being given, and if anything happens to people because of the vacines, it will not be thier problem, they will say it is not clear the vacine had anything to do with the side effects.my daughter and son got a seasonal flu vacine the first time this year and both got the flu.i will not be getting my daughter a vacine, and its up to the marines if my son gets one. have a good evening

October 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  19. penny

I am an RN and yes when available my whole family will vaccinate.

October 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. serine

definitely not getting vaccinated

October 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  21. Daniel C

Simply put, NO!

October 29, 2009 at 9:48 pm |
  22. yvette lopez

I feel that for a normally healthly person the flu shot or swine flu shot for that matter is not necessary for me at . i dont trust the advise of the medcial media saying to get the vaccine.

October 29, 2009 at 9:16 pm |
  23. Chrissie

I believe it's important for those who are at high risk to get the vaccine. Problem is H1N1 has already hit our area and my pediatrician won't have the vaccine until the end of November. My son requires 2 vaccinations in order to be "protected" and they are to be spaced 1 month apart. I'm thinking we'll get the virus before we can even get vaccinated.

October 29, 2009 at 8:57 pm |
  24. Kathryn

I took my 6 month old daughter to get her shot on Tuesday. I think it is awful that people are trying to scare people into not vaccinate their children, parents have enough to worry about.

October 29, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  25. ROlson

According to many sources the H1N1 flu has already peaked. Why would anyone want a vaccine at this point? Why do physicians resent questions from parents and/or get militant about getting vaccinated if someone chooses not to?

October 29, 2009 at 8:39 pm |
  26. Lawrence

I have asthma and Brugada Syndrome(a rare genetic heart disease). I am wondering if people with heart and/or breathing problems are at a greater risk?

October 29, 2009 at 8:29 pm |
  27. Annie Kate

I'll do for my children whatever their pediatrician recommends. I don't plan on getting it for myself mainly because I never get flu shots; the shot must give me the flu because in the past the only times I have had the flu was when I had a flu shot. Besides given the limited supply I feel like I need to let those who are really high risk have priority on the vaccine.

For those who are concerned about the shot and supposed side effects and no long term testing, I sympathize with their stance and agree that those things are something one must consider. However, I daresay the flu will cause more problems than the vaccine will.

October 29, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  28. Shannon

We've got an 8 month old girl and are leery of vaccinating her because we're not sure there won't be harmful side effects for her. However, we've decided to vaccinate ourselves to protect her and hope nothing happens to us.

October 29, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  29. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Not to vaccinate, that is the answer....holistic strengthening tactics instead.

I love Shakespeare.