October 27th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 10/27/09

Hospitals on alert for an influx of H1N1 patients. We take you to the front lines of the fight. Plus, are Democrats in danger on election day next Tuesday? We've got the raw politics. And, millions of your tax dollars wasted and lives lost. Don't miss our exclusive 360 investigation on the deadly tsunami that hit American Samoa.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. David, Indiana

If there was a buzz at the dance why did no one tell one of the teachers there?

Completely irresponsible for James Arthur Ray to not contact the loved ones of those who fell ill from the sweat lodge, it's jarring to learn that he was closely associated with Liz Neuman.

People can collapse from heatstroke when it's hot in the summer, so not taking precautions in a sweat lodge in the Arizona desert is unimaginably negligent.

That kid is serious about fitness.

Good night Isabel, good night everyone.

October 27, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Emily

Have a great night John King, Erica, Megan and Bloggers!!

Heather, I hope that you get plenty of rest & feel better! :D

A great show tonight, and John King, you did a great job with those difficult stories! Glad to see you here again!

I hope see you all tomorrow night! :)

October 27, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Tom

I meant "Sweet" of course.

October 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Cessy, Chicago IL

great reporting Mr. Tuchman...

good night everyone! JK you are hilarious! Erica, when AC comes back show his workout " gun" photo along side this Romanian boy! :D

AC we miss you!

October 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  5. Sharon Carroll

I have a soon to be 15yr old who will attending her first Homecoming dance soon. Imagining this is making me sick......As a mother and parent, you would have to lock me up for awhile until I returned to some sanity.

October 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Nancy

Surprise. Another athlete using drugs. I don't think I'll read Agassi's book.

October 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good night John!! Great show!!!

Good night friends!

Good night David (indiana)
    Thanks for the reminder my birthday!

See you tomorrow!!!

October 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Dodie ~ California

Good night everyone.

Thanks John King and Erica. Wonderful reporting and keeping us informed.

October 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  9. Vickie_AR

Agassi + big confession = Auto-biography
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz

October 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  10. Tom

I don't understand the whole sweat lodge thing. People actually choose to sit in a tent and sweat? If it were a sweat lodge where they served M&M's or ice cream I could understand.

October 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night John King (Anderson), Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen, Martina Ilstad, Emily and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! :D
    Day of the shot with the cute boy pump up bar I love!!! WOW!!!!! Nice shot!

October 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  12. starr, formerly known as vincent

It was a hard night of news, but great reporting.

Thank you and good nigt to everyone, try and have a great tomorrow!

The shot: Hillarious! and impressive!

October 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  13. Geff

There is absolutely no way that we should blame violent shows and video games. It is nothing more than a scapegoat for the real problem and that are the parents of today. I am only 21 and have not been a parent myself, but I see poor parenting day in and day out. It is this that causes most of the problems we see with kids these days. It is time that as Americans we take the fight into our own homes and become better individuals, better parents, and in turn our kids will become better as we instill in them better values. However, if parents cannot be reached out to and still try to find a scapegoat like video games then there is no hope. Granted I do see that there have been a very few cases where a game or show was the cause, but those cases are minimal. Just look at Japan who has the same kind, if not worse violence in their games and shows. However their crime rate is very low compared to a lot of other places. So my story is become a better parent, become a positive influence in your childs life, and then watch our youth become better indivivuals.

October 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  14. Jim Ridolphi

I can't believe this Ray is not behind bars facing three counts of murder. He continues to profit from misguided souls who place their faith in him. He urged these poor people to remain in an unsafe condition and had no medical assistance available.
    We can prosecute the Balloon Boy but can't go after this creep?

October 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

Andre Agassi used meth? wow, strange. I used to have a crush on him when I was a kid. Have a good night all

October 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  16. Dianna

Why the need of confession by Agassi???

October 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  17. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Goodnight everyone.Peace to all of you and yours.Happy birthday Isabel! : )

October 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  18. Emily

Thanks for the Live shot in Afghanistan! Really sad!

October 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  19. Vickie_AR

Ray probably had them sign some kind of waiver or something before the ceremony. Would that prevent his prosecution?

October 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  20. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hi Erica, always fun to see you on the blog.

Of course, i agree wit h you on the gang rape story. Truly outrageous and inexplicable to any rational human being.

October 27, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Shannon, Fairfax, VA

The sweat lodge incident is "hurting his business"? Cripes, I should hope so!

October 27, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I hope this has a business impact on Ray.

October 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. samora

i hope the folks who raped this girl gets prosecuted as adults. simple. if they can do this to someone they should face the law, and those who watched should be charged with aiding and abetting a crime.

October 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Kula May Ellison

What a mess? No helps a women being rape. Their should be a ban No more
    School Dances.
    Kula May R Ellison

October 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  25. Cessy, Chicago IL

I take the Bikram Yoga ( yoga in a 105 degree temperature) for 90 mins.. and its hard to take but it feels good after. But I cant imagine going to a sweat lodge on an empty stomach! This is pure evil!

October 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  26. lisal -canada

I find it so hard to believe there are still sweat lodges being held by this fellow.

October 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  27. roberto

15 year old rape. i am a former school teacher. i quit because of all the bs with kids and the job itself. Im telling you some of these kids today are crazy. They are just not in touch with reality. They have no understanding of morals and value the wrong things. I think lack of religion is a big part of or spirituality for those who are not religious. You have to have something holding you accountable or else you are just walk this earth as an animal with no care. Also. where are the cops. anytime you have functions with kids they should be called to patrol or any function where a group of people are going to be. You know where they are sitting on there ass waiting to give speeding tickets or trying to find grow fields of marijuana. the police resourses are not being used to protect citizens and that is an outrage.

October 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  28. Shannon, Fairfax, VA

The more I hear about this James Ray guy the skeezier and skeezier he sounds.

Also, where is Sanjay? It sounds like he's standing on the side of the road.

October 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. johnkingcnn

doctor gupta in my hometown today .. seeing that bridge makes me homesick .. not far from the boston garden .. or the td north garden i guess they call it now - home of the bruins and celtics .. and walking distance from the north end.

October 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica,
    You're so funny lady!!!!! LOL! I know..... Just happen to me too.

October 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Vickie_AR

Did they not have medical staff on-site while the sweat lodge ceremony was going on?

October 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  32. Jason

Are these sweat lodgepeoplepart of a cult?

October 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  33. Dodie ~ California

Plastic does Not breathe. Dehydration cause potassium depletion = heart arrhythmia. or heart attack.

October 27, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  34. Emily

That story involving the sweat lodge is so sad, and to hear that Ray is still holding them, making money (last I heard), it's really sick.

I really for her family!

October 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  35. Jane - Vt

James Ray sounds like what I call a sleazebag. Why is he still being allowed to continue with this?

October 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  36. Dodie ~ California

The problem is people are lost. These people in the sweat lodge were either completely out of touch with their body, or did not trust their own judgment to get out of the tent. Very sad.

October 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  37. Emily

@John King,
    Glad to hear that you, as Man are just as outraged as the females are!
    It is really hard to hear, esp. that no one did Anything, incl. the school re. monitoring it as they are were the ones that were in charge on all those students!

@Erica,
    Glad to see you here....always look forward to your comments, and your sense of humor! :P

October 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  38. starr, formerly known as vincent

This sweat lodge story is getting more despicable by the day.

Why wasn't Ray or his people there for the family(s) and the injured?

Great (and gentle) interview by Gary Tuchman.

And, i would be beyone Angry at this point! I wonder why no charges have been filed yet?

October 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  39. Janet from Seattle

We are so sad and so sorry to hear this news of the rape of the young 15 year old girl from California.

Wake up America and pay attention to our youth. They are hurting and they are afraid. And they are clueless as to what to do when one of their own is being assulted.

Blame it on the video games, blame it on tv. It's the parents that are responsible. Wake up America. Janet and Joann

October 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  40. Jason

These things don't happen because of movies, video games, etc. It happens now a days because our Kids are rotten. We have spoiled them and treated them with kit gloves. They have no consequenses at home for there actions, so they think there are no consequesnes in the real world. We have damnd parents for spanking their children but I can almost garantee that there was not a child that got involved in that rape that had stern disipline at home and knew what pain felt like. Not abuse pain but a beat that but for doing something wrong pain.

October 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  41. Melinda Mazoue'

The gang rape situation in Richmond, CA goes beyond simple "bystander syndrome". This problem in Richmond is the same problem that we've been hearing about in Chicago and other "tough schools" across the nation. It's the "snitch syndrome", that's my name for it. If, as a bystander, you call in authorities, go for help, etc. my guess is that you will end up being labeled as a "snitch" at school and there will be hell to pay for it, maybe even your life. This is a growing problem in our nation and it's a serious problem. The "snitch syndrome" is going to get much worse, before it gets better, if we don't figure out a way to make it safe for kids who want to do the right thing and call for help.

October 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  42. Carmen

Sad is right John but we can't settle for "its not a surprise." Events like this only encourage me further to home school my children. I don't want them to grow up among this kind of filth.

October 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  43. Shannon, Fairfax, VA

@Emily

Good to know, thanks. I'm sure they'll be nigh impossible to track down, but it's good to know there's something they can pin on them.

That counts even if they're minors, right?

October 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  44. Gregg - - Fla.

Whats the story with these sweat lodge's? is it a weight loss thing?

October 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  45. Robia

I believe that the reason that no one did anything to stop the rape of the 15-year-old girl at the Home Coming Dance was out of fear of retaliation from those involved. The "No Snitching" mentality prevents young people (and even many not so young people) from getting involved to prevent or intercede on the behalf of crime victims. Unfortunately, this was not mentioned by the on air "experts" on tonight's AC 360 show but I believe that is what is at the core of why this happened in front of so many witnesses without any intervention.

October 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you, John.
    How can this happen?".. It is so hard to understand why, Never happen to allow again.

October 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  47. Linda York

In regards to the story about the rape of the Richmond High School girl, your viewers should know that Richmond is a very poor and depressed community. I live in San Jose, luckily many miles away, but there are stories on the local news DAILY about this city. Murders happen on a regular basis. Most of the residents of Richmond are uneducated and unemployed, and do nothing to help their children succeed in school or even in life. I believe the PARENTS are to blame in this situation, not the police or school officials. My heart goes out to that poor girl This is a wake up call to the parents of this school, and maybe even our national government. People in this city are living like wild animals. It makes me sick!

October 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm |