October 14th, 2009

Missing Boston man found dead in river early this morning

____________________________________________________________________

William Hurley, 24, went missing on Thursday, Oct. 8.

William Hurley, 24, went missing on Thursday, Oct. 8.

Gabriel Falcon
AC360° Writer

The search for a missing Boston man has taken a tragic turn. Authorities said a body recovered from the Charles River early Wednesday morning has been positively identified as that of William Hurley, who disappeared after attending a Boston Bruins game last week.

The body was found in the water behind the Nashua Street Jail at approximately 2:30 a.m., police said. The facts and circumstances of the death of the 24-year-old man are not clear.

Investigators are awaiting the results of an autopsy by the medical examiner to determine the exact cause of death. Hurley's family has been notified.

Hurley vanished last Thursday night. His fiancé, Claire Mahoney, said he told her his cell phone battery was running out of power.

“I was just trying to get to him to bring him home before his cell phone died,” Mahoney said. “Then he asked someone passing by on the street what the address is, the person told him it was ’99 Nashua Street.’ I said ‘I’ll be right there,’ and within a minute or two I was right at that location, but he was nowhere to be found.”

Hurley, who was employed as a greens keeper at the Weston Country Club, did not report for work the following day, authorities said.

“There is no indication of foul play at this time,” said Boston police spokesman Joe Zanoli to CNN. “However, that doesn’t necessarily mean it hasn’t happen. We just don’t know. At this point of the investigation, it appears he just vanished. Whether that is on his own accord or not has yet to be determined.”

Mahoney, who first met Hurley when he was in the Navy, said it is extremely unlike him to not contact her or his mother.

“He’s a happy person, just an easy going guy and he wouldn’t do anything like this,” she said. “I love him with all my heart.”

Follow Gabe on Twitter @cnnfalcon.

For more crime coverage go to cnn.com/crime.

Filed under: Crime & Punishment • Gabe Falcon
  1. Latinloba

I agree with Mr. Robinson; the first thing that came to my mind were the haunting "smiley face" killings. Condolences to the victims family and loved ones.

October 14, 2009 at 3:03 pm |
  2. Colleen

John, you are so right about the smiley face murders. We had one last year where I live. A young man, not easily overpowered found dead in the river. I think this is something that definitely should be looked into.

October 14, 2009 at 3:02 pm |
  3. Grant

You will continue to see this kind of tragedy until you learn to get rid of animals when you catch them red handed. I doubt the US will ever learn though....you are too eager to give parole and keep the perpetrators alive when the victims have fallen to horrible torture and/or death.

October 14, 2009 at 2:57 pm |
  4. bob

I agree with John Robinson. I've read several stories about young men out at night who end up in the water. I can't remember all the locations, though, and don't know if this is near where those incidences occurred. Someone ought to look into a connection.

October 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  5. John Robinson

I read a lot of about crime and think that this case seems eerily similar to several others I have read about within the past year and dubbed by the media as 'the smiley face murders'. Has anyone caught onto this?? Is there a smiley face somewhere on a rock or tree where the body was found in the river or where he was on Nashua Street???? Just something to think about.

October 14, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  6. Charlie

What a tragic end to someone who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. What is wrong with people today? My thoughts and prayers go out to this famiy and his fiance! May God Bless you and hope that he will find the person responsible for this horrific crime. Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth! Kill them the same way this innocent person lost their life for no reason!

October 14, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  7. valerie

Absolutely tragic. There appears to be no motive outside of just being a heinous animal of a person. My heart truly goes out to his family and family-to-be. This story makes me sick.

October 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm |
  8. Teresa, OH

Such a tragedy. My condolences to his family, fiancee' and friends.

Find the surveillance camera's and see who used his phone last.

see if he was actually at the game too.

October 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  9. Jason

I pray for him and his family.

October 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  10. Carol Sylvia

Such a tragedy. We never know when we will see our loved ones for the last time..........no goodbyes, no answers, just gone. My sympathies are with his family and friends!

October 14, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  11. Heather

My gosh this story is absoultely heartwrenching. I hoped that this young man would be found alive. I am so sorry for his family and friends and i will pray that justice will preval, although that will never make up for the heartache it brings to his family and readers like myself.

October 14, 2009 at 11:19 am |