October 9th, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 10/8/09

Editor's Note: We continued to hear from many of you about our broadcast from Chicago on Wednesday night. Many of you think that things have got to start to change in the homes. We also received a lot of comments about the discussion of the killing by horrorcore rapper, Richard McCroskey, applauding the analysis by Alan Lipman, founder of the Center for the Study of Violence. What do you think?

In response to the issue with the young children being murder in Chicago. As a mother who has raised her children as a single parents believe that you cannot legislate honor, respect, pride in the community, love of family, neighbor, community and country. This is the parents' responsibility not our representative. Parents are to be active in their democracy to ensure that the policies which benefit their community are enacted but the raising of their children is their sole responsibility.

I have been listening to horror-core rap since i was 12 years old, I am currently 17. I hate how people have been going again underground artists just because of the lyrics. This doesn’t mean that artists are going to go around killing people.

Brilliant analysis by Lipman on the McCroskey case. Intellect, authority and passion.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Lori

It's parents' responsibility to make sure that their kids are safe and out of trouble.

October 9, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  2. Noel

NO Disrespect to our President. but he has only been in office a few months like they said this morning (10-9-09) it should go to somebody more deserving & has done more 4 @ least 5or 10yr. span. This is my opinion

October 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm |
  3. Cindy

Fascinating. Lipman went deep inside the mind of this killer, so you could really *understand* why he did it. What a strong, intelligent point of view.

It kept me thinking about it long afterwards and wanting to know more.

October 9, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  4. James

I agree with these statements. I do not listen to horrorcore rap but I do listen to a lot of hardcore metal. In spite of this, I have never felt the desire to run off and kill people. My parents raised me in a proper way so that I understood from the beginning that the type of music I listen to, no matter what the lyrics, does not give me justification to do wrong to others.

Parents being active in their democracy and local government will always be encouraged, and if there are programs that their kids can become a part of to stay off of the streets then they are encouraged to join. However, it is not the community's job to raise the children of all the parents or become babysitters when they take the music they listen to or produce to the extreme.

October 9, 2009 at 11:27 am |
  5. paula

The story of the young boy being beaten to death was horrible. What surprised me is that NOONE stepped forward to help not a student or an adult!!! Who knows why children kill each other. Could it be the poor children want what they can't afford, so they sell drugs and turn to crime. I don't believe it is the music that leads to violence but, the other way around bad choices such as drugs and crime lead to VIOLENT music.

October 9, 2009 at 10:55 am |
  6. Marye

I know that this will not be aired on tv as much as I would like it too but, all this money that was spent to blow a hole in the moon just to see ice and etc... could have been used for better things for instance, feeding people who are starving in other countries and people in the US whom have no place to live and hungry. This is really sad of what this world is coming to. I would like to know what other people think about this.

October 9, 2009 at 10:25 am |
  7. joan hennessy

Seems that low income doesn't generate bad kids, the overall combinations of media, money, home enviroment does..Are you shocked that Chicago didn't get the Olympics, not me, I wouldn't want alot of young people in a place that if you walk down the wrong street youy likely to be beat to death, Countries around the world read about what is happening in America. Its a shame we all are dealing with.....JH

October 9, 2009 at 10:14 am |
  8. Tina

As a parent who has lost a child to violence, all entities that perpetuate negativity and violence be it rap, games or movies are detrimental to our young people. This form of entertainment creates a sense of fearlessness in our communities. No longer is there reverance for parental control, the law or human beings in general. Our children are being raised in war zones, this triggers emotions that are never dealt with until it is too late. I pray that America will wake up and realize this is no longer a problem just in ethnic communities, this is a problem all over America in all communities,

October 9, 2009 at 9:44 am |