October 7th, 2009

Map: Crime in Chicago

Editor's Note: U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and Attorney General Eric Holder are in Chicago today, meeting with Chicago Mayor Richard Daley on school violence in the wake of the videotaped beating death of a 16-year-old high school student, which drew national attention to the violence in the city.

AC360°

Check out this interactive map of crime reports, news and statistics in Chicago. You can view specific addresses and offenses by scrolling over the map.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Chicago Killings
  1. Peggy Brushenko

Anderson,
    Thank you for bringing the serious problem of young children being murdered in the Chicago streets to the national spot light. I grew up in Chicago and now live in a comfortable western suburb. I find it difficult to begin my day when I read these horrific stories in the morning paper. I want to be part of the solution and I do not know where to go to help. I have written the Mayor several times and I would like to do more. I will never forget the one morning reading about two young sisters. Newuiel Fowler was a ten year old beautiful girl; she was walking down the street with her young blind sister Valerie behind her. Valerie would slip her little hands in her big sisters pockets and her sister would lead the way. However, on this sad morning Newuiel was shot and killed by a stray bullet and Valerie only felt her sister fall to the street. I can't even imagine what was going through her young mind.

Thank you Anderson. It seems like people are finally realizing there is a problem.

October 7, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  2. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hi! Anderson! Welcome to Chicago! Thanks for really taking a huge interest on this issue. Look forward to tonight's show.

October 7, 2009 at 7:11 pm |
  3. Patrick

I am so very glad not to be in school anylonger. I feel for the very very few good kids in our public school system.
    School are being "taken over" by youngsters who lack values at all levels.
    AND it is going to get worth before it gets better ...
    If I would be in charge of aaaaaALL schools in this country, I would get drastic measures in place, such as uniforms, no personal electronic gadgets of any kind, no piercings, no make-up ... bring back that discipline !

October 7, 2009 at 7:05 pm |
  4. Cassandra Johnson

As parents we must be responsible first! We have to dedicate our time and efforts to make sure our children are fed, clothed, take the time to assist with school work or dedicate a relative, mentor. To monitor and know who our childs peers, friends are, activities they are involved in. To attend and support PTA meetings, school plays, sport events. To set curfews, take action on our childs bad behavior, dis-respect, negative attitudes. As parents is this to much to ask? They are our children. It starts with us!

October 7, 2009 at 1:34 pm |
  5. Bhaskar Meka

It is painful to see violence taking the lives of kids. I know because I lost my mother to a home invasion in India. Watching these politicians speak it seems as if they are more interested in achieving their political objectives. It surprised my that one of those politicians started talking about gun control. I think he did not remember that this kid was killed by a 2 x 4 type of club.
    The only way this can be solved is carrot and stick.
    Carrots:- Mentors, After school programs, sport activities
    Sticks:- If the kids commit a crime treat them as criminals, hold parents responsible, go after drug dealers and gangs

October 7, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  6. alex lyrics

We need to clean up the schools, and parents, churches, citizens need to get involved.

October 7, 2009 at 11:58 am |