AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
October 1st, 2009
  1. mos

Anderson:
    Thank you for bringing attention to this issue. I work in the neighborhood where the most recent brutal attack on a young black male occurred. I am a white social worker and I am in this neighborhood all the time. I drive by drug dealers in the midst of deals. The police are practically powerless in these neighborhoods, I think they are more scared of the kids than the kids are of them. Your guests tonight highlighted the issue very well. The kids see no future and they do not value their lives because no one has told them or shown them that they are valuable. It starts when they are born and continues. After 15-18 years of being told you are worthless by your parents, your friends' parents, your teachers, your school system, your lack of access to transportation, resources and healthy food, it's actually unbelievable that these kids haven't lost it sooner. I do believe it is up to the adults to fix this, particularly adults who have the resources to fix it, ie. they don't live in this neighborhood. Many of the adults in this neighborhood are just as hopeless and seemingly powerless as these youth, they are just acting it out differently.
    I dare those who have never been there to start caring about these kids, even if it isn't affecting them now, it will later.

October 1, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  2. Anthony Landry

I am a young black 37 yr old male that was disciplined as a youth, became rebelous as an adolesent, and now appreciate those ass whippings now becouse they all were necessary. All my partners that did'nt get disciplined are the ones that became heartless career criminals. Let us discepline our kids the way we need to. All these bad events are results of kids knowing they can't get whipped!!! Child abusers need to be prosicuted but kids must be disciplined!!!4 REAL

October 1, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  3. Stafon

It's really sad to see young kids fall victim to harmful street codes. Who are the people teaching them these vile lessons? This effects us all, we need to step in as human beings first and not just black people and do something to end this.

October 1, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  4. darryl

its a shame that the stop snitching mantra is the status quo for children in chicago and the rest of th united states.

October 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Jeannette Kucan

I was born and raised in Chicago. It sounds like a war zone now. I only left about 11 year's ago. If my daughter was school age now,there would be no way I would send her to school. The "NICER " areas like Berwyn,Elmwood park are bad now too.It's so nice to know that Obama is more worried about the Olympics coming to Chicago. He needs to do something about all these children being killed for no reason.Cmon Obama do something for the children you claim to care about so much.

October 1, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  6. Mari

We are a violent nation, anyone surprised? We have guns everywhere, even in the national parks people can carry concealed weapons. We are #1 in the world for gun violence; just look at the shows, movies, video games!

When will we, Americans, stand up and demand that we strive for non-violence.

Jesus said, "those who live by the sword, will die by the sword."

America, we are in serious trouble.

October 1, 2009 at 6:01 pm |