September 28th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/28/09

Fugitive movie director Roman Polanski is behind bars in Switzerland vowing to fight extradition to the U.S.  Even his victim, who he had sex when she was 13, thinks the case should be dropped. We're digging deeper. Plus, an exclusive look at domestic terrorists. We give you an inside look at the Earth Liberation Front.  And, a high school student murdered on the streets of Chicago. The crime caught on tape. Dozens watched and did nothing to help him. Who's looking out for Chicago's kids? We're keeping them honest.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

Do these ecoterrorist know what further impact they are having on the environment with fires and all the pollutants that they put in the atmosphere? Not to mention the plant life that is destroyed after these "attacks" or that burning peoples homes down only caused them to rebuild it which means additional waste is being produced. It doesn't make sense to me.

September 28, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Ray normandin quebec

bring him back and try him again if it has to be so by the U.S. laws
    but it won't change the fact that a young girl was rapted and that the man responsible for it has been in the public eye for the last 30 yrs and has not done it again

September 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  3. Minou, New York City

It's beyond me that so many people think that violence will get them what they want. Ever heard of Gandhi?

September 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  4. starr, formerly known as vncent

@Jane-VT. I agree with you..the title is likely "only dead fish go with the flow". It really sounds like Plainese.

September 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Shaylee, Bigfork MT

Nope... Palin chose "Going Roque" (after the SNL skit) ... Good grief has she become money hungry! :O

September 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Cessy, Chicago IL

@ Minou, NYC-Thanks! It's tough but I'm glad that all my extended family and friends are safe. However, there were the not so lucky ones and I pray for them.

September 28, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Emily

Has anyone here heard of ELF (Earth Liberation Front) before?

September 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Sora

I liked the legal analyst (Lisa?) a lot–I thought that her answers were concise and insightful and cut through a lot of the crap. You should invite her back more for relevant issues.

September 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  9. CURTIS

I have to say I supported the destruction of the lots full of Hummers.

September 28, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Emily

Drew's story is very eerie!!!!

September 28, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  11. samashby12

Children today need help building good, healthy relationships with positive people. This is what a lot of young people today lack.. and it leads to what we've seen in Chicago.

September 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Shelly

Oh no...not more about Sarah Palin! Enough already!

September 28, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Cathy

Mr Cooper, I'm a mother of 2 and grandmother of 6. Ordinarily I'd say "bury the guy under the jailhouse". But - this is Roman Polanski - a Holocaust victim and a victim of the Manson family. I can't speak for all boomers or other folks living during the 60s, but to me - the fact of having been a victim of 'the crime of the century' washes away a lot of sin. Plus the fact that his charges were pled down to "having sexual intercourse.....", not "rape". Let him go.

September 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike Armstrong TX., I couldn't care less if these criminals want to kill one another, but it is always the innocent decent kids that get murdered or harmed.

September 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cessy, Chicago IL,
    My heart goes to you!!! I am pray for your sister and friends in Philippines...... My thoughts and prayer with you.

September 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Fay - CA

I had to laugh when I heard what Palin was naming her book, but I'm not surprised she'd actually go there.

September 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  17. Dodie - California

@ Mike Armstrong TX

I always thought if we could place all the gang members on an island and let them work it out. At least innocent citizens would be safe.

September 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Maybe if Chicago gets the Olympics, some of the millions of dollars that will flow into the city could be set aside to help address youth violence and safety in schools.

September 28, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Teresa, OH

Sarahs' book: I'm guessing C.... only dead fish...

All are bad titles. She shouldnt use any. All stink ; )

September 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  20. Minou, New York City

The root of the violence needs to be addressed. What do sociologists say are the root causes of this extremes numbness of these kids?

September 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  21. Cessy, Chicago IL

yes I agree...there are parents who chose not to give up their children NO snitching policy...for most underprivileged families, their children are the ones who brings in the money by selling drugs, worst, their bodies so they are out in the streets instead of being in school.

September 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Shehan Jayawardena, Hartford CT

option 2) wow I can't wait not to read it....Btw when is your next book coming out?

September 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  23. LisaL - Canada

i'm going to have to go with (c) only because it sounds like something that would come from the former Alaskan gov

September 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Mike Armstrong TX.

Sara dont got nothing on Erica

September 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Jane - Vt

I guess "Only dead fish go with the flow" and also.

September 28, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  26. Dodie - California

Earth liberation .... burning a home??? I see that as a contradiction in terms!!!

September 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Anthonia-Bay Area,California

@Anderson-The truth is, most of those children do not want to snitch because they are scared of stitches..literally they are scared they might either get beat up or killed...

September 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. starr, formerly known as vncent

The chronic and consistent violence in Chicago among the city's children is beyond belief. And, many of the children who are getting murdered, are good kids, who are Not a part of Any gang.

There needs to be a Real and Noticeable Intervention to Stop this violence. Does anyone have a Real solution.

The fact that not one of the kids did not defend him is likely attributable to Fear of losing their lives too. I know many of us would have liked to have seen them as a group defend the young man.
    BUT, as pointed out by one of the panelists, they really would risk their own lives! And, the way things are going they likely would be.

September 28, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Scott Stodden

When will the violence in Chicago stop, I live 3hrs from Chicago and its a concern for me. Innocent people everyday are dying in the mean streets of Chicago, its time we all take a stand regular people and celebrity's. Mayor Richard Daley the country is demanding you step up as mayor or get out of office cuz over 300 murders related to guns and gang violence is unacceptable, Stop the madness Chicago

September 28, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Emily

This story is heartbreaking!!!
    D. Albert, 16yrs, RIP

What is going in with Chicago?
    Has Mayor Richard Daly said anything?

September 28, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Mike Armstrong TX.

This city is out of control its past time for out side help.

September 28, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I agree there is a "stop snitchin" attitude that runs rampant in these communities. Nothing will change as long as that exists.

September 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

Not only a culture of silence we have become a desensitized culture. You can see these types of beating videos all over youtube. There was a "contest" for lack of a better word by schools here in SoCal where students were trying to capture the best fights and beatings by students against other students. It's all very sad and it's very scary.

September 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Minou, New York City

@ Cessy: sorry to hear about your family's and friend's in the Philippines. At least their lives were spared!

September 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Are the other members of the community too afraid to speak out? If you are a parent and you speak out, will your child be a target? That's a hard choice to make if your own immediate safety is not guaranteed.

September 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Megan Ahlquist

It makes me sad that this is how survival of the fittest works.

This is how teenagers get a bad name. (And yes, I'm sitting here taking notes AC360 for my Government class.)

September 28, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Dodie - California

Parents who turn in their children... could wind up being killed by their children as their family is with the Gangs!!!

September 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Gisselle Big-Tex

My God! What is going on with this kids? I can't believe this, I can't believe this poor kid was murdered in broad daylight, in front of a group of his peers and by his own peers, there is no EXCUSE for this crime! I am sickened, heartbroken for his family and mad, angry that this can happen to an innocent child while he was doing the right thing, going to school, trying to find a way out of that chaotic disaster and the violence around him. Where are the lawmakers, the councilmen/women, the law enforcement, the school authorities and last but not least the parents of this violent children? I am sickened, education starts in the home, good behavior, respect and integrity begins with parenting, and I don't care who says that it isn't so. PARENTS where are you?

September 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. gretchen

Anderson, I think that the federal government should make it a nation wide felony to be in a gang.And parents should be made partially responsible for the deeds of their children.I bet the parents of those teens who beat this boy to death ,have shown little to no interest in their children.See what happens,the good child that had the good parenting fell victim to the children left to chance,what an awful,awful shame.

September 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Corey

Why is it that our national leaders and Hollywood celebrities are not discussing childhood poverty and violence against children – in Chicago and all of our major cities? AC360 is the only place I am hearing about this – and it is not enough.

September 28, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Mike Armstrong TX.

Its got to the point to where people start taking up bets on how long its going to take for these guys to kill each other

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

They have so much hope only to get into violonce and gangs it's so sad .

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Dodie - California

Today, both parents have to work in order to put a roof over their heads and eat! Therefore, these kids end up governing themselves. They are looking for an identity beyond their family.

The Gang becomes their family! Therefore, the only way we can even come close to stop this from happening is to try them in an adult court for murder!

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Some of these parents are working so hard just to put food on the table they aren't paying attention to what their kids are listening to, watching and reading. The entertainment world is covered in glorified violence and kids who don't have someone to tell them this isn't acceptable and their are consequences can become monsters.

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Lori from IL

The violence is Chicago - especially on the south side goes back much further than 2 years. It's been going on for decades. The gang situation in the area is goes back further than the current generation. Although not all the victims are gang members - they are often caught in the cross fire or turf wars....

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Cynthia, NC

How and why can human beings just stand around and watch someone being beaten to death? Where is the respect for each other? It needs to start in the home!

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am really disappointed with 4 teenagers beat up on black teenager on caught the tape! I am so glad the 4 teenagers already charged! My heart goes to his mom who lost her son........ I don't like violence at all, Not acceptable beat on people!

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  48. samashby12

I applaud what the Coach is doing. More young people in the United States need programs like his.

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  49. ericacnn

it is frustrating and heartbreaking to see the way this violence is continuing in Chicago. I applaud the efforts of Mr Holt and Coach Carroll

September 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

In a culture where power and violence is glamorized in almost every movie released by Hollywood and in video games can we really be surprised.

September 28, 2009 at 10:37 pm |