September 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/23/09

Big-name speeches at the U.N. We've got the raw rhetoric mixed with raw politics. Pres. Bush's former speechwriter speaks out and shares what his ex-boss thought of Sarah Palin, Hillary Clinton and candidate Obama. Plus, actor John Travolta shares heartbreaking details on the death of his son Jett in court. Find out why he's in the middle of a legal fight. It's all part of our "Prime Suspects" series.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sunny in FL

RE: Travolta Case. Sad story. That should not be forgotten during what will probably be a long, public affair. What, also, should not be forgotten? John Travolta is an award-winner actor.

September 23, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

Poor Dr Gupta! Feel better, Anderson.

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse, NY

That Phillips story is just sick.

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Robi

Have a tiny sore on my upper pallet, is that a symptoms of swine flu?

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

I watched Oprah today and Mackenzie's story brought tears to my eyes. I can't believe a father could do that to a child.

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Dr. Gupta and Anderson,
    Take care! 🙂

Erica
    Stay away from them, please! Lol ...

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Paula, Colorado

I'm glad you've recovered from Afghanistan–it was getting progressively uncomfortable that week just thinking of the conditions there.

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Shelly

Get well soon, Anderson! I had something like that for about a week...yours sounds worse.

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  9. LisaL - Canada

ah Dr. Gupta and those other globe-trotting types... i suppose exposure to viruses and bacteria is just par for the course, when it's more like a lifestyle than a job. good to hear everyone seems to be fine. i guess good old common sense is what continues to reign.

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  10. Luke

Discretion is needed by Presidential advisers and speechwriters.

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

Anderson and Sanjay, Im glad both of you and your crew are feeling better. Its crazy and amazing at the same time that something like H1N1 can spread so fast like it did there and to as many people it did.

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Jeff - Los Angeles

Anderson, how on Earth does a virus make it to the middle of a desert region where very few people go in and out of and happen to affect new people entering the region and not the other way around?

JW

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Emily

The CNN Team was a very professional & did a GREAT job there despite the H1N1 flu!
    You both have a good sense of humor regarding this.
    That is a GREAT Blog Dr.Gupta!

Dr.Gupta you look much better now, than in that photo.

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  14. Leo / Atlanta

I am not a big fan of the Bush administration, but I believe that what President Bush may have said in the privacy of his office or anywhere else should not be repeated. This is very unfair to the President or any other President past or present. obviously this is all about making a buck!

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Laurie

I just read or perhaps heard on a radio program on H1N1 that some people have had it without the high fever you mention.

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Melissa

Of course the speechwriter should write about his experiences.It is part of our history. As with any elected leader, you should not say it if you would not want to see it end up in print.

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  17. lelaine chambers

i think mr. bush said some terrible things about mr obama and hillary and the gentleman have all right to write about it. that is to show that no one is perfect. i hope those boys over on fox tv will ialk about it.

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  18. Katrina Tulloch

Thanks for having Fareed Zakaria on tonight, to echo some earlier comments. I have a lot of respect for him. Coverage of Ahmedinajad’s speech was excellent.

I think the speech writer's book was met with harsher questions than was necessary, though. He had an golden opportunity to show a more candid Bush, and took it. Does it hurt the president if he has to constantly worry what he says in fear of books like this? That awareness of overexposure comes with the job. Would Obama make joking comments about Hillary Clinton's figure?

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  19. Chris

I feel horrible for the Travolta family. For someone to want to extort money from the family is cruel and inhuman. Do these people have no souls?

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Karen

My nephews have H1N1. They both attend UW-Madison. I think they are feeling better. A temp of a 102. No thank you!

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Margaret

It was not ethical to publish Speech-Less. President's are human. This will inhibit Presidents from speaking freely with trusted friends.
    Holding all their farustraitions and concerns inside is not good for the President or for the nation....shame on this author...whatever his name is. Nargaret

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  22. fred

The former Bush speechwriter is only trying to use his minor relationship with President Bush to get rich quick. He needs to learn some loyality and keep his mouth shut. Bush has been unfairly bashed enough!

September 23, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Alexandra - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

We'll have to see what happens with M. Latimer after this.
    Being M. Rumsfeld, I don't think I would keep him. but, only time will tell.

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  24. samashby12

Haha this interview with Dr. Gupta is funny.

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. david

Anderson is great...you could really tell what he thought of that guy at the end of the interview

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  26. James

I would not hire him if I wanted confidentiality in my work place. lol

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Clyde Swasey

The gentlman that wrote the book about Bush did it for the money. Why did you not ask him howmuch he was going to make.

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  28. Cessy, Chicago IL

Anderson, as I've mentioned earlier I thought that you were looking pale and sounding sick while overseas. You should go see your doctor! We dont to see you get sick!

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  29. Kyle

Lecture Bush's speech writer on what's morally and socially acceptable!?! Bush and entire staff should've been lectured following the Iraqi War. Opps, that's right, we're still actively fighting that war

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  30. Marvin

Jamaica

We all want to know the inner thoughts of President Bush. Writing is about telling the truth and we are going to see a lot more books on his presidency. I would definitely hire the author of Speechless. I can't wait to download this book on my Ipod; I will be paying for it.

Anderson
    I felt that your questions were a bit tough when you interviewed the writer of Speechless but I still love you.

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  31. Arshan, Scottsdale, Arizona

On Latimer – I'm "Speech-less" that after working for Bush many years he goes out and writes this book. It's probably for money or attention – or he just got really angry at him. Who would want to hire him now if they can't even talk freely without him publicizing it? I think his political career is over.

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  32. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Well ,if Anderson and Sanjay both had it...Then they will both be protected and not need the vaccine,right?

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  33. Chantelle, Atlanta

Whether or not you actually had H1N1, I'm glad you guys are feeling better now!

September 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  34. Dr. Ivan Gonzalez

Hi Everyone

Regarding Lattimer-I feel he's profiting from the opportunity to write a book.

The coverage concerning H1N1 is interesting but may provoke anxiety.

Good Nite

Ivan

September 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  35. Josie

Writing a book like that is such a betrayal of trust, I would never hire this man no matter how competent since I would have zero trust in him!! I am shocked at how many people are willing to betray others simply to make a buck!

September 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  36. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Dr. Gupta,
    I wonder about the reliability of tests of H1N1. I had the symptoms, but the test was negative for me, but I can say I had a cold unlike anything I've ever felt!

September 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  37. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Poor Dr. Gupta and Coop! So, you are saying we should get a vaccination?

September 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  38. John Lenko

Bush's ex speech writer should be applauded for writing his book, maybe it'll keep politicians speaking honestly about their colleagues and opponents. Frankly, I'm tired of politicians padding the back of someone in public and then stabbing them in the back in private.

September 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  39. Harold

I think it's time for people to hear the truth about what's going on in Washington no matter who it is about. Most of us know that Washington and the media is playing word games with the public.

September 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I wonder why Presidents don't require key staff to sign nondisclosure agreements. The Queen of England does that, so there aren't many if any tell-all books from insiders over there.

September 23, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  41. Teresa, OH

AC: i think you had pneumonia ; )

September 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yay!!!!! Nice to see Dr. Gupta, is doing great!!!!! as Anderson too!!!! 🙂

September 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

@Sharon Hastings, you're right about that, when someone I care about is sick like that I want to be right there at their door.

Hope Sanjay and his cameraman are feeling better. Thanks Sanjay for the post, mentioning the sore throat, I'll be looking out for that.

Oh, all you guys were sick. I'm glad you're all better, very tough to get sick when you're travelling esp in Afghan desert region.

September 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  44. jeff

I'm surprised the WH does not have its staff members and attached officials sign non-disclosure agreementns (NDAs) for their posting within the WH, OEB, or other placement within proximity to POTUS' inner circle. Perhaps it does and I'm not aware? Or maybe not applicable in this instance....

Is there a law, statue, or regulation that prohibits enforcement of this delimiter, and subsequently subject an individual's draft for review by the WH before publication?

September 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  45. Sam

I wonder how on earth did H1N1 reach Afghanistan?

September 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  46. Roger, Iowa

President Obama’s UN speech is right on target for the United States to recover form the tactics of the way the Bush Administration treated world allies. The Republican tactics, do what we say or else, is now gone. The President let the world know change has come and foreign policy toward them has changed with the Obama Administration. It's to bad the President's political party doesn't have the spine to stand up for what the President is doing.

September 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  47. Kathy Chicago

The Speech-less author seems a little shady.

September 23, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Emily

How are you feeling Anderson?

September 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  49. LisaL - Canada

if that had not been John Travolta, and just some guy, that whole extortion incident would have never even taken place. i'm sure it is nice to have lots of money, but over and over again you see how it seems to complicate people's lives. usually it is greed that rears it's ugly head.

September 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  50. Chris Strosser

On Travolta: I am sickened and maddened by people who try to take advantage of those in difficult situations. It's just despicable. The times of our country create an atmosphere where people often try to find the easiest way out. What I've seen in recent times is quite alarming... morals are by the wayside for too many folks, when we should be banding together. My heart is with the Travolta family. I've been a fan of his since I was a kid. The pain they must be in...

September 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |