September 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/23/09

Big-name speeches at the U.N. We've got the raw rhetoric mixed with raw politics. Pres. Bush's former speechwriter speaks out and shares what his ex-boss thought of Sarah Palin, Hillary Clinton and candidate Obama. Plus, actor John Travolta shares heartbreaking details on the death of his son Jett in court. Find out why he's in the middle of a legal fight. It's all part of our "Prime Suspects" series.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kathy Chicago

Interesting show tonight! I missed the whole UN thing today and enjoyed your guest's opinions.

September 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Shane Las Vegas

I am so much in hope that Anderson or one of his producers will get on this Census-Taker hate crime murder where the word FED was written on the poor mans chest!!!!!!!

With the FBI being there so long now it is a real sign that they really do think it is a hate crime based on or somehow commited because of the recent radical anti-government hate speech!!!

This is a hugely important story!!!!

September 23, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Karl from Denver

"would you hire him?" I guess you suggest not to. Wouldn't we want somebody to "blow the whistle" on wrong doing wherever it might be found or perceived?

September 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  4. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

I hope Dr.Gupta is better now ,@Anderson ii hope you are feeling better too it's not good to travel to these places .

September 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Carmella

The book has a cool title. Very catchy.

One thing I will say, you best believe someone is just waiting to write a tell all book on the Obama Presidency. I hope President Obama is watching his back. He is so real, everything he says off the record will be used against him.

September 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Norma

I wish more former empolyees would right books about the white house. These individuals are elected and paid by tax payer money they work for us and and we should be able to know what they think

September 23, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Robi

25million dollars? Why would travolta even sign paper without reading?

September 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Why are they asking for money? I don't get it!

September 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Lori, IL

Not a big fan of the "tell all" books. Refuse to buy/read them as I feel these "authors" are looking for their 15 minutes of fame at the expense of others.

September 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Mikki Couch

I NEVER! by these Tell All books. Clearly, the author is out of themselves and the content is likely exaggerated or out right lies.

September 23, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Lori

Poor Dr. Gupta.

12. Yon

Wow, only thing that would be worse them this guy writing this book would be if this book actually sells and making the publisher and this guy makes money!

13. Tom Allen

Anderson, would you hire a whistleblower? I hope it wouldn't mater. If this man is right for the job and is the best for the job, why not.

14. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I love the picture Jett is kissing Travolta.
    It's beautiful and moving!

15. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

Former speech writer is bitter and wanting to expose the dirty laundry of George Bush it 's his way of gaining 15 minutees of fame .

16. Heather - Spokane, WA

It makes me sick that there are people who take advantage of other people when they are in a state of mourning or in a state where they are not thinking clearly.

17. Victor , IL

God bles Travolta family

18. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

My heart goes out to John Travolta and his family. I hope these two individuals are locked up. Their actions are despicable.

19. Steve

Simple answer for post administration memoirs – write what you like but you can't directly profit from it (within reasonable restrictive covenant limits) That should separate the greedy from the altruistic.

20. Al, Kings Park, NY

Sometimes you need someone like that to give us a little inside on what really goes on inside the heads of people in Washington. Like all those republicans supporting Palin. They don't really like her they just don't want to be the ones saying it. Too bad for him that it might be difficult to keep or find a job like that again.

21. Bill B

It is wonderful that Mr Latimer wrote his book, and of course no one else will ever hire him where has access to personal details of a person or organization

22. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Society is so sleezy. People never cease to amaze me. Poor Travoltas

23. Chris

This book undermines trust and even general human conversation. You joke around with your friends about how you feel, but these conversations are not ment to be public. They dont even nessarily reflect how you may feel as a matter of fact, just what you are saying at the time. Everyone needs someone to joke around with, even the president.

24. gail

I love John Travolta and I hope if these folks are found guilty that they get the book thrown at them. Heartless fools! John , Kelly, and Ella Blue , we are praying for you and for justice for Jett.

25. Louise

What is wrong with people? My prayers are with the Travolta family.

September 23, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  26. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

So sad that people would stoop so low at a family's time of heartache....

27. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

I have written speeches for public figures before and wouldn't do it if I didn't believe in them and their competence. How can you write for someone that you don't really support, then write a tell-all about it later? What does that say about your integrity?

28. Roy Mason Hudgens

Yes. I think the public deserves to hear what's really going on in the White House. We can conclude our own judgement. Yes!! Wright the book.

29. Shelly

Bush on Palin...was correct.

I'm not sure we need to see too much about the Travolta story...it's awfully sad and it seems rather sensational.

30. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

The Travlota family has been through so much and these employeees want money to profit from thier son's death it's sick and twisted .

31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, Syracuse, NY, I couldn't agree more about Rumsfeld. Just the fact that Latimer went easy on Rumsfeld puts everything else he says in the book into question.

32. Marc Kaplan

Dear Anderson:

It is not a question of right or wrong anymore. It seems as a society we have lost our way. Nothing is private any longer wethe a public figure or not. It seems we are the make believe society. Have we lost our way?

33. k david

There should be a law against this outrage of a presidents private thoughts that were said in confidence put in the public domain.

34. Chad

This guy is sad. He was insignificant. US Presidents have a right to private discourse among their people. Last month a conversation about threat levels being politicized was politicized. This guy should not be given airtime.

35. carol

people that work for the president should have to sign a contract that keeps them from disclosing casual conversation. people that work for celebrities have too, or their personnal business would be everywhere

36. Kristin

I am a hardcore liberal/democrat and as much as I disliked President Bush – I think the speech writer's book is a violation of the president's privacy. I am shocked these people do not have to sign something preventing this.

37. Joe, Chicago

Private conversations that happen in the White House under the President's confidence should stay in confidence. The people who surround the President should be people who he trusts, as it goes in any organization. As an employer, I would not hire him if he promised me increased profits.

38. Jennifer C.

I've never been one to defend the Bush administration but that man is in the wrong for his book. He was hired in good confidence and he was given a certain amount of trust and his desire to cash in on the Bush failure is a total disregard of that trust and I hope he's blacklisted.

39. Cynthia, NC

The Travolta family story is heart-breaking.

40. Lori

Most certainly unprofessional.

41. Joe in Decatur, IL

So Matt Lattimer wrote this book so that people could have a light hearted view of the Bush Administration? I take it then that he is not accepting any money in an advance or for book sales. Former aides write books for historical purposes not for laughs. I believe that GW Bush will go down as one of the worst Presidents in U.S. history, but this is blatantly unfair to President Bush and those around him. His treatment of Rumsfield is the laughable part of all this.

42. Michelle D. Fonthill .Ont

I would not hire this speech writer at all .It would create prblems you wouldn't want to deal with at work .It 's not wise to tell him anything he'd repeat it at you would held accountable with your boss at work.

43. S Lovett

Anderson,

I think it's in poor taste for this guy to write a book about all that occurred in the white house. As with any corporation or business, there are certain things that are not best shared with everyone.

44. samashby12

I think he just wants some money. I try to avoid books like these.

45. Ngoc Thao Nguyen

welcome anderson. it was quite a day.

46. Nidia

It is absolutely acceptable that Matt Latimer be allowed to tell his story in his book regarding what he saw in the White House. He was a speech writer, not a CIA agent with sensitive government information Anderson. Afterall, it is called Freedom of Speech. Book censorship has no place in this country as it infringes upon all of our rights.

47. Corey

Although I have not read the book, it seems that it betrays the trust of the people he worked with and disgraces the Office of the Presidency. Just another attempt by someone to cash-in on the Bush presidency by selling a text to the left-wing that they can steam over some more. It wouldn't be surprising if the text was used as a source to cripple a future Republican presidential campaign.

48. nancy smith

I think it's a disgrace to have a speechwriter writing a tell-all book that would involve the president. I didn't always agree with Mr Bush but you have to have respect for your boss and keep confidential material to yourself. I would never hire someone like that

49. Emily

This is such a sad story...the Travolta loss of his son. To think that there are people out there trying to exploit the Travolta's in their loss! LOW!

50. Jayson

I think that it is great he wrote a book about how things really are. Whether or not the former president liked it, we all deserve to know the truth. I think we should put all politicians up to a lie detector test and see if they are really doing justice for us. I am a DOD Civilian employee and an Army Reservist. I see wasting of our money everyday. I can't do anything about it. The public needs to know. That is the only way change happens. What they do behind scenes if often wrong and that is why they want to keep it behind scenes. I say go for it, write more books, tell us how it is. Good job.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7