September 23rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/23/09

Big-name speeches at the U.N. We've got the raw rhetoric mixed with raw politics. Pres. Bush's former speechwriter speaks out and shares what his ex-boss thought of Sarah Palin, Hillary Clinton and candidate Obama. Plus, actor John Travolta shares heartbreaking details on the death of his son Jett in court. Find out why he's in the middle of a legal fight. It's all part of our "Prime Suspects" series.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Scott

On the "Speechless" book.

In commercial business people in sensitive positions are required to sign "Non-Disclosure" agreements.

Doesn't the government use this type of system?

Would make the trust factor easier

September 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Joe

I think its amazing why not give them a taste of their own medicine we have no privacy in our lives why should the head of state? At the end of each presidential term we should be filled in on all the ugly!

September 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Chris M.

In regards to the president's speechwriter I believe its as simple as this. If the job required a signed contract stating he is not allowed to disclose the president's personal comments to him then he would not have been able to write this book. This wasn't the case so he has all rights to do so. Future administrations should learn from this.

September 23, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Carmella

It's free world and he has the right to write that which he defines as truth. It doesn't make it right, but it's done. If he was not required to sign a confidentiality agreement, then shame on the federal gov't. Would I hire him? I don't know I lean both ways for various reasons.

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Craig D Harrisburg,Pa

I think that it is wrong for that guy to write a book about private thoughts of the president. He is doing it for the money. Some things should not be made public and this is one of them.

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Zoee - Canada

I think it's okay for him to write this book if he's not breaking any confidentiality agreement. I would think twice about hiring him because I would worry that he would then write a book about me though. I would actually like to read his book because I'm sure it isn't as harsh as it is seeming to be. I think that some of the quotes being passed around in the media were probably taken out of context.

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  7. gail

@ Erica
    I agree. i thought the President gave fine speech , but I also think it was a waste of air time to give Gaddafhi or Ahmadinajead rants coverage.

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Kevin Handy

Jacqueline Kennedy was advised by father-in-law Joe to have White House workers sign confidentiality agreements. She was told, "no". The President knows their comments are public fodder, whether they serve the President or not. Presidential privilege has been overused and I hope Obama does not use it. President can never be assured of confidentiality, period.

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Dulcie - Denver

Personally, I find Latimer revealing those kinds of details a bit distasteful. I'm no fan of the Bush administration, but I won't read it.

So much can be taken out of context and misconstrued. I think he has the right to publish it, but I think it's in really poor taste. I certainly wouldn't hire him to write a cook book

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  10. George

This former white house staff is just Keeping 'em Honest. A president should say what he feels and not feel embarrased or surprised if someone shares it.

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Travolta and family deserve privacy

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Mr Thomas

The guy that wrote the Bush tell all book, needs to be banned at book stores. I am NOT a Bush fan. But i respect his privacy as a president!!! This guy is just looking for dollar, plain and simple. We already know Washington has issues, that's why I or we voted Barack H. Obama as president.

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Chris Strosser

I don't necessarily agree with what this person did, but I appreciate his quest for transparency and truth. I personally opt for the truth over anything else. Personal gain may have been a factor here, but I think it is important that people see the "360 degree" view of former President Bush, Jr.

September 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Bill (Toronto, Canada)

What a crock! DO the American people need to know what a President says behind closed doors when they are 'slightly' more interested in their health care. And what does Hilary Clinton figure have to do with anything.
    This guy wants some bucks for a tabloid book. He needs to get a job a the Inquirer and at the same time a life.

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It's horrible to know that people wanted to extort money from the actor.

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Chris

God be with the Travolta family

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. ralph hanrahan

Yes, I think that past admins are open to any and all scrutiny

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Connor

Matt Latimer should be ashamed of his book. As a former intern in the Senate I understand the importance of elected officials being able to express themselves are normal human beings. He should have consulted with his boss and others in the speech writing team to see if he should continue to go on the path of writing such a frank book. I would never hire him if I was an employer. Who knows what he would say about me...

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. larry - dallas

Don't trust this guy

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  20. matt.b san bernardino,ca

The "Truth Shall Set You Free" and matt is free today. And by the way I like his name. The truth hurts sometimes and matt is not hurting others are......!

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  21. Mike

No way would I hire that guy if I did not think I could speak freely. Sure it is his right to write such a tell all book. Ethically it is wrong and I think that is why others in the Bush White House are wagging their fingers.

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  22. Janine from PA.

Sad for the Travoltas, have a tragic loss of their child/brother and have to put up with vultures like this.

September 23, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  23. diana

We all say stupid, mean, and regretful things. Should we write about all of his conversations? If wouldn't want it done to you, don't do it to another...basic elementary 'conventional wisdom'

September 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  24. Ramona

Good for John Travolta standing up to these crooks. But bad that it the death of his son to finally publically admit Jett was autistic.

September 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  25. Russ

The former speechwriter for Bush (who now works for Rumsfeld) – it goes to show that anyone in the Washington Circle will sell their soul for a price. Look at all the former aids who go out to be lobbyists and advisors – they all can be bought. That's a major problem in our politics today – too much money.

September 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

This book is almost a kind of kiss and tell book about politicians

September 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  27. ROY

No he should not of written the book.Lack of respect

September 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  28. andersoncnn

Mike in Syracuse – curious that Latimer goes easy on Rumsfeld and he just so happens to be working now for him... i wonder if Rumsfeld will keep him?

September 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  29. Cessy, Chicago IL

Matt latimer just got himself fired.

September 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Arshan, AZ

About Matt Latimer – It's very shocking after working for the US president for years, that you go out and write a ton of things about him so un-"Bush". I hope he knows his political career is over.

September 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Anthonia- Bay Area!

Well the author of Speech-Less should be allowed to write a book about the presidental speeches because its his own freedom of speech, and its not like he is talking non-sense and false statements about the former pres.

September 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  32. LisaL - Canada

there are some very good things to write about to sell books, and some very bad things to write about to sell books. this fellow would have chosen the latter.

anderson, i totally agree – i wouldn't even tell this guy what time it was, let alone hire him. sometimes you just get a bad gut feeling about someone, and by golly don't you hate it when you're right...

September 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. ashley - willis, tx

I wouldn't believe this guy, he's just someone trying to make a quick buck off the people that hate Bush...I'm sure this guy will never get hired again either...

September 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Janine from PA.

Bottom line, they write these books to make money.

September 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Aldo

who cares about the book. we were done w/ B 6 month before the election..!

September 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. John

Hi Anderson

September 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. david

Gee who would hire that guy after the book he wrote...hope he makes a lot of money on it...he may need it to last awhile

September 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. ericacnn

hi, everyone. quite a day at the UN!

September 23, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Lori

Not right. I would never hire someone who did that.

September 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. abbas

@ john you are so right... no one wants us to hear those words

September 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Teresa, OH

I think Latimer's book has a different value also: I think it could teach presidents and washington people to watch their mouths and to know that not every thought in their head needs said aloud.

The truth hurts : )

September 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Dominique Wilson-Robbins

Bush is old and out dated for this time we,Americans need new ideas and a new outlook on the World views, not one single view what and how many colleges did Bush attend anyway!

September 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Danielle

I really think this speechwriter is just looking for his 15 minutes. I think the American people already know what Washington is like, we don't need his view to help us.

September 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Cessy, Chicago IL

Matt Latimer. wants his 15 seconds of fame. What is his purpose for this tell all book? He should be ashamed of himself, for being an American embarrasing a former leader of our country and shouldnt be trusted. Period.

September 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. cally

don't the administrations make their employees sign confidentiality agreements?

September 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

Shame on Matt Latimer. But then I guess some people will pay for that stuff. I'm not even a Republican but I think it stinks. I'm sure people say things privately that they hope are private. Besides, what's really news about any of those tidbits cited from his book?

September 23, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Don't these people have to sign confidentiality agreements?

September 23, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Rumsfeld comes off best in the book? Hey, I'm as Republican as they get and even I think Rumsfeld was a walking disaster. He mismanaged two wars that should have been won handily.

September 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Jo in San Jose

I agree that private conversations should stay private. I'm baffled at the lack of personal ethics that would lead to this sort of tell-all. (And I'm no fan of Bush.)

September 23, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Lori

Why would those negative statements need to be repeated not to mention put into print so they are never forgotten?

September 23, 2009 at 10:35 pm |