September 23rd, 2009

Dear President Obama #247: Tom DeLay: The forbidden dance

Reporter's Note: There was an inordinate amount of dancing during the presidential campaign by lots of candidates, including now President Obama. Now, there is an inordinate amount of letter writing from people like me, especially when we see a pol strapping on the tap shoes…

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

I have spent the day checking for fever, feeling periodic chills run like rats down my spine, and calling my wife to see if I’ve been exhibiting early symptoms of dementia. The cause of my concern is not swine flu, but a recurring and horrific hallucination. Every time I look at the TV, I see former Republic House Majority Leader Tom DeLay on Dancing With the Stars.

At first I thought I was mistaken. The video popped up after a story on police chases (yes, insert your joke here…) and I wanted to turn the sound up for confirmation of his identity, but I was so transfixed by his leering smile and toreador pants I just sat at my desk gaping like a carp. It’s surreal. His butt wiggling. His mouthing the words to Wild Thing. And even his partner, whoever the heck she is. Altogether it looked like an outtake from the final episode of Twin Peaks. Or what you’d dream if you cooked up the wrong mushrooms in your spaghetti sauce, or were conked in the head with a copy of the Congressional Record by a crazed lobbyists. And I thought that video of Karl Rove dancing was disturbing.

As you may have noticed, I don’t spend a lot of time standing on ceremony. It didn’t bother me a bit that soon to be President Bill Clinton played saxophone on late night TV. I don’t care that former President Bush (the first one) periodically leaps from airplanes.

And even though some people get upset when you go on entertainment shows, I figure even the ruler of the free world has to have some down time, and if you want to spend it cracking wise with comedians, so what? And DeLay is a private citizen, so he can do what he wants of course.

But just because you can do something doesn’t make it a good idea, if only because of this: I have never imagined on my best day that I could survive a political campaign without doing or saying something so patently goofy that I would be pilloried for it. But now, I’m not so sure…maybe I should run! And if it happens, and if I win…well, you can blame the toe-tapping Tom DeLay for that.

All things considered, I suspect the Lambada should not be the only forbidden dance. Call if you want, and unless I’m at the Arthur Murray studio, I’ll be happy to chat.

Regards,

Tom

Follow Tom on Twitter @tomforemancnn.

Find more of the Foreman Letters here.

1. Lisa Larson

Yeah, shake it baby!
    Actually I wish more Republicans would loosen up.

September 24, 2009 at 2:20 am |
  2. Lampe

Really I don't think it's any funnier, than if we watched Barney Frank dance. I think when it comes to politics, both parties, have some very unusual members,who like to dance, tell jokes, or whatever.

September 23, 2009 at 8:25 pm |
  3. Emily

Will Tom & Cheryl be back on the next episode?

September 23, 2009 at 2:38 pm |
  4. Elizabeth Brady

Who in the world of telivision thought anyone would want to watch Mr. Delay do anything, let alone dance?!

September 23, 2009 at 2:29 pm |
  5. Emily

I couldn’t believe this either!
    He has to be out of the running for any public office now.
    How could DeLay ever be taken seriously?

September 23, 2009 at 2:09 pm |
  6. Emily

I couldn't believe this either!
    He has to be out of the running for any public office now. How could DeLay ever be taken seriously?
    Where is the next DDE?

September 23, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  7. JD

Oh is he out of the elected realm now?

September 23, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  8. JD

Maybe it would not be such a nighrmare if he could have skipped the butt wiggle ..... I don't mind elected officials dancing, but rather them skip trying to be sexy

September 23, 2009 at 11:09 am |
  9. Lampe

I think DeLay, showed alot of guts, by going out there and dancing. I have seen alot better dancers on this show, but I have also seen a whole worse ones!

September 23, 2009 at 10:54 am |
  10. Serene

Hello,

I absolutely love these letters to President Obama!
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to read all of them, as I also discovered them after 200 mark or so. However, I was wondering if there was a letter regarding DHS ICE's unbelievably unethical practices even towards United Citizens let alone immigrants. Even their "Office of Professional Responsibility" is so corrupt they shamelessly cover up criminal acts of ICE employees. (e.g. an ICE employee's inexcusable felonious assault on his neighbor, not even on an illegal immigrant)

So Please write a letter addressing at least several issues regarding ICE-Immigration and Customs Enforcement? Please and Please.

Sincerely,

Serene

September 23, 2009 at 10:31 am |
  11. C.G. Patrick

Howling with laughter over this one.

September 23, 2009 at 10:21 am |
  12. Carol B.

Hi Tom – funny blog , as usual. Certainly, there must be a flammable powder blue or brown poly tux photo of you from the 70's prom pictures somewhere. Only, now it's NOT the 70's and this is, as you described, a leering, corrupt former politician. Unfortunately, the show seems to be downgrading to C – Z list contestants. That brown number with sequins and the AWKWARD, spastic, dance probably didn't help to much. At least he looked like he had fun.

September 23, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  13. Damie Pierce

The man is shameless! Thank God he is a Republican! Wish Teddy was still around to see this! Hopefully he is!

September 23, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  14. Benigna Marko

So true just because does not mean it is a good idea. Keep it simple.
    Benigna Marko

September 23, 2009 at 8:26 am |
  15. Conserve' in USA

I thought I was getting dementia too because I could have sworn I just saw President Obama on the Letterman show trying to be a comedian.

September 23, 2009 at 8:23 am |