September 21st, 2009
  1. sandra

i hope that the president continue to be careful in his plans to send more of our troops in harms way. how much blood must we loose before we say enough is enough. the afghan people must want to exist in a stable way. without their will to live and survive what are we fighting for? how long must we babysit this country? if we send in a wave of troops and demolish the land in search of these taliban's, then we will have to spend monies to repair what we mess up. we need our monies home to rebuild. we need our soldiers home to rest and continue another day as things arise.

September 22, 2009 at 5:57 am |
  2. Derrick

I was recently recalled to active duty for a deployment to Iraq. I know that if we overwhelm afgan with troops that we will be victorious. I have just returned from Iraq and that war is won in my book. I feel that President Obama is neglecting the military and not providing us with the resources to win any war. Obama has been to focused too much on his own image rather then the problems that this country has.

September 22, 2009 at 5:51 am |
  3. dan

One thing I think is completely missing from the report is the great work of non profit organizations working in afghanistan to promote the education of a brand new generation of Afghanis as well as the general understanding of the rule of law. Why are we not fully funding these programs and encouraging out of work Americans to work to build a stable afghanistan and with it a more stable world. One particularly interesting program I found is called skatistan, which teaches kids in Kabul to skateboard as well as many crutial life skills.

September 22, 2009 at 2:43 am |
  4. texas

i just wish this could all be over... more troops is not going to help... it is going to be years and years before we see any progress.. i have a boyfriend in the marines who is being deployed to afghanistan anytime within the next few months and am terrified his life might be taken, and what for????

September 22, 2009 at 2:41 am |
  5. derick

Mr. Anderson ,
    I myself am a soldier of the U.S. I have seen been to Iraq and soon to be deployed to Afghananistan. I agree with Mr. Ware more troops is not the answer to winning this war. However I myself have no option on weather or not I go but i would rather not. I have shed blood in Iraq and seen too many friends loose their lives over seas and I would not like to see another one of my brothers or sisters " fellow soldiers " loose their lives over this matter. many other people share the same view on this subject. Further more with this being said I hope that Gen. McChrystal does not get the ok from our president to send more of us in.

thank you for your time and god bless .

September 22, 2009 at 1:52 am |
  6. J

Can we step back and think before we just knee jerk react. We know enough now about today's middle east wars-they have being going on for centuries. Sending in more troops to do what? If we can't overtake the Taliban than what are we going to do effectively? a bandaid protection that is continuously challenged by the Taliban?

I am not convinced we can win the war yet alone the battle with the Taliban.

The American people are weary and watching closely what will happen to Iraq and to Iran in the near future. Can we televise a debate(s)/discussions among military and political leaders (like a Town Hall) on the subject so Americans can hear from the horses mouths (the generals that are asking for more troops)...

September 21, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  7. Elliot Klein (Maximum Security)

In addition to more troops we need to eliminate the Taleban's main source of revenue – heroin. It will be cheaper for us in the long run to buy all of the opium crop and either destroy it or process it into medical grade morphine. This should be continued until our agricultural experts can develop an economically feasible strategy that will allow the Afghan farmers to grow something that will net them the same income as the opium poppies do now.

September 21, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Maureen , California

I see no win. Just more loss of innocent American lives. Bring our troops home and shore up protection of our own shores,

September 21, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Georgia Yeamans

Anderson, About this Afghan War leak, more lack of respect for the President! Who is this military leak? Isn't the President Commander and Chief of the military? They and the CIA didn't want the pictures of the "terrorists" being tortured being leaked why are they leaking the war room info? How does Bob Woodard get these scoops? Does he sit at home and wait for these idiots to call him? This military leak should be fired. You know if Barrack didn't take his time with this decision , he would be scorn too. He can't win!

September 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

So to win in Afghanistan we need more troops rather than less; that more troops will not guarantee a success but less troops will result in failure. The Afghanis don't trust their own government, the international community or our troops – this last mainly because they doubt our long-term committment to sticking it out. Fighting is not the answer over there even with more troops; our soldiers need to make connection with the people themselves while protecting these people from their government, the insurgents, and anything else that might retard their recovery as a people and country.

Sort of big order. Its not that I don't think our military can accomplish what the Gen. describes in his assessment (which is good reading by the way) but I like the Afghanis question our depth of commitment to stay long enough to make that crucial difference this people need.

September 21, 2009 at 9:28 pm |