AC360 Monday 8p

There are growing questions about the ferry crew's actions. The latest on the South Korean ferry disaster live on AC360.
September 9th, 2009

Tonight: Text 360 °

AC360°

We'll be digging deeper on President Obama's highly anticipated speech to Congress tonight. Will his message persuade legislators to support his health care initiative? Will he appeal to average Americans?

We will also talk about how different health care options will impact the country, both those who have insurance and people without coverage. Do you have questions? Let us know!

Send us a text message with your question. Text AC360 (or 22360), and you might hear it on air!

Filed under: T1 • Text 360
  1. jimmyc

Exactly what problems are these "solutions" fixing? Does anybody really understand what the problem is? I am not talking in generalities like – cover the uninsured, or about pre-existing conditions but I want to know HOW many long term and short term people are there? How much will this program cost to cover each of them and how will that money be raised?

I read today that the government will mandate healthcare coverages and they will define the packages. If is like Mass. they will all be high end insurance packages and you won't get a choice of lower cost coverage. I also read they are considering fining people $4000 per person if they don't have coverage. So if you can't afford the insurance, and you can't afford the fine and there is no public option how will that work?

Folks – the devil is in the details and there are no details here at all. When the government gives government functionaries power over your life and money you can expect that it won't go good. Think about the DMV, the IRS, medicare – large, complex, inflexible institutions with no soul. Why do you expect that a government health care folks will suddenly break that mold??

September 9, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Obama said illegal aliens won't be covered. However his desire to grant amnesty to those here illegally is well known. So if illegals are suddenly granted permission to stay, are they covered?

September 9, 2009 at 8:43 pm |
  3. jusval

I had a stroke at 53 years old. It took me out of the workplace for good! Do I not deserve health care? Should I have just died? Is that what all of you who don't want health care touched are saying? The hell with the people who do not have health care? That's the gist of what I hear? If that's fair and if that's the way the majority of people feel, then it's the end of the USA for good.

September 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  4. M.S.

As a physician in Pennsylvania, why is there not a focus on amending tort reform for physicians as part of the new healthcare plan? Physicians wholly support healthcare for all. However, we spend a huge amount of money in gets tests "just in case" that one headache may be a brain tumor so that we avoid potential lawsuits. This drives up healthcare costs immensely. Also, the misuse of the healthcare system (i.e. going to the emergency room for a cold that has lasted 3 hours) by patients (with and without insurance) also runs up healthcare costs.

September 9, 2009 at 8:32 pm |
  5. Jeff Newman

Why is tort reform not part of any health care plan?

September 9, 2009 at 8:28 pm |
  6. Kris

Which clause of the Constitution authorizes Congress to order me to buy health insurance, or the federal government to provide it?

September 9, 2009 at 8:23 pm |
  7. Maureen Glover

Why aren't we taxing hospitals?? The majority of hospitals in the US are tax exempt, which means they don't pay federal or state corporate tax. They also don't pay property tax, capital gains tax, or sales tax.

These hospitals are accumulating billions of dollars in surplus funds each year while the healthcare needs of 48 million American men, women and children are going unmet.

If we taxed the surplus these tax-exempt hospitals are making, I'll bet enough money would be generated to fund health care for all uninsured Americans.

As an example, a well-known tax-exempt hospital in NYC made a profit of $334 million in 2007. Their president made over $2 million in salary and benefits.

Why are we providing tax exemptions to hospitals that can afford to pay their president 5x more than the president of the US??

I would like to see hospitals and other tax-exempt organizations that are making profits, pay their fair share in taxes.

You can't keep leaning on the middle class, asking us to pay more and more taxes while these organizations are getting a free ride!

September 9, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  8. Danielle

I have a few questions. When a person not able to afford healthcare and their minimum wage job doesn't offer it. When something happens, do u think they will be able to pay their hospital bill? Since many people feel that insurance isn't a right but a utility, why should hospitals treat those of us without insurance? Shouldn't they just let people die cause in the end? two to five thousand dollars bill someone can't pay is in essence killing them anyway. Because of this large amount of money they will refuse to follow up on treatment or have any kind of preventive care. Is there really anything wrong with having a public option? Isn't the definition of option refers to something that is a choice and is not required. I agree that pilot plans could be used to try and work on this.

September 9, 2009 at 7:27 pm |
  9. Dan Parsons

I believe this whole health care matter is nothing but a stone wash to direct the public's attention away from the real concerns this nation faces. Such matters like our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. All insurance coverage cost way to much as it is for everything. Our government should be focusing on the high cost of all insurance coverage. For example for a small business just to start up the insurance coverage premiums are out of this world. One thing that cause this is our lawyers in this nation are greedy. This has caused our nation to become sew happy. I fell like I live in a bubble in the united states and I'm afraid to come out of it. This nation is so far out of touch with the people. I know a few people that lost their homes in the economical down turn. They are hard working people. When gas prices went through the roof everything seemed to double in price along with it. I believe these people could of afford their mortgage payments but their property tax's and home insurance killed them when they went up. Health care is not the concern is this nation. Its the money being take from the workers by people that really don't work for it. Federal taxes and state taxes and high insurance premiums.Will this nonsense ever end. I don't think they be happy until its all gone and you don't have anything. Freedom is over in their eyes.

September 9, 2009 at 7:09 pm |
  10. Kathy Mccallum

I have lived in both countries the U>S>A and Canada I just can't understand why the Americans are so opposed to Universal health health care We in Canada turn no one away from our hospitals as a young child I had a heart condition but was turned away from the hospital as my parents couldn't afford to pay for my care,since then I have moved to CANADA I recieve nothing but the finest care and it's all covered no need to worry when the bills are going to start arriving..When in Florida this summer I talked to many Americans and they were all against the universal health care they said we have death panels to see who lives or dies I assure you we don't have death panels and young and old alike get the best care possible....Are not all people entitled to health care...lets not be greedy people and help man kind so all get good health care....let's not be afraid to help one and all ..If you don't understand the universal health care get informed don't just close your mind off and we aren't a socialistic country up in Canada and we also don't all live in igloo's

September 9, 2009 at 7:01 pm |
  11. Mike Armstrong TX.

Heres you a hard question If the bill pases will it work.

September 9, 2009 at 6:57 pm |
  12. Conserve' for USA

How much is this plan going to cost us? Canada has 33 million people and the average Canadian pays 48% taxes. United States has 300 million people. What percentage are we going to pay?

September 9, 2009 at 6:55 pm |
  13. Diane

How does the Obama plan, or any of the others out there, help people who are uninsured? This so called reform seems more a way of supporting health insurance companies than those who need coverage.

September 9, 2009 at 6:40 pm |
  14. John

Hello;-) Just a few quick questions, 1) How does this obama health care tie into the New World Order and Total Government Control? 2) The CDC has admitted the H1N1 flue is a man made flu that came from the US Army Bio Weapons Lab,part of the plan to do away withe large percentage of population,and Our Pentagon is calling it a SOFT KILL ! I think We should read the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. 3) do not allow any one to be forced to take this Deadly shot that contains more Toxins that spontaniously mutate when they get in Your body. 9/9

September 9, 2009 at 5:13 pm |