August 28th, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 8/27/09

Editor's Note: We continued to hear from many of you about the rebuilding of NOLA after Katrina with most of you expressing interest in hearing about the current condition of the many other areas devastated by this storm. The story of the young woman who was abducted 12 years ago and has turned up alive and safe (Jaycee Dugard’s brought well wishes for her and her family. Read comments from our viewers below, then tell us what you have to say:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I find your bias to only visit NOLA 4 years after the storm appalling. I live in Long Beach, MS, and work in the Waveland area (which was in the center of the eye). When are you going to cross the Mississippi state line, and talk to hardworking people who have rebuilt their homes, businesses, and lives in general? It seems as though you only want to concentrate on the "poor people of NOLA–people are forgetting about them". Why don't you try doing a story about the people of Mississippi who recovered?

I live in Gulfport, MS and went through the devastation from Hurricane Katrina. It is very disheartening to see all the media coverage in New Orleans on the anniversary. Your guest, Doug Brinkley could not have said it better when he stated New Orleans' devastation was purely man made due to the failed levees versus the MS coast who received the "true" impact of the storm 4 years ago. When is MS going to get its fair share of coverage?

Please report on another community that was totally destroyed by Katrina. Everyone refers to the lower 9th ward but forgets about St. Bernard Parish which is just next door.

WHY? why is all the media on New Orleans for Katrina ? yes they got damage but NOTHING like the Mississippi gulf coast got ... yes thank you and the rest of the media that has been here but there is still a lot of rebuilding going on here but everyone looks at new Orleans , most of their damage was from flooding ALL the damage here was the storm its self .. a lil more positive press for us here would help us rebuild .... thanks

I was very pleased to see that once again Anderson Cooper and CNN are giving considerable attention to New Orleans. And the brief tour of the city with James Carville was informative and, given the limited time, presented an accurate snapshot of the city.
Great show in a night with happy news! The rediscovery of a daughter, eighteen years later, should be a joy unimaginable. I wish that peace be restored to this family! That this family will recover of these years of absence with much love, affection and unity.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Ayesha

So Bill Gates is has a patent out for actually churning the ocean to reduce the category of a storm. I wonder what peoples feelings are on this? The full story can be found on CNN.
    Personally, I think the idea is noble, but we should be focusing on the causes of the hurricanes. We can try and build really strong levies or try and mess with the weather, but the storms will only keep getting worse as the the weather is warming, and the planet is in peril.

Also Microsoft in charge of churning the friggin ocean!? Why does that make me think " 2014 CNN headline: Microsoft software had a glitch, churning of ocean failed, We should've gotten a MAC"

August 28, 2009 at 3:10 pm |
  2. Ayesha

So Bill Gates is has a Patent out for actually churning the ocean to reduce the category of a storm. I wonder what peoples feelings are on this? The full story can be found on CNN.
    Personally, I think the idea is noble, but we should be focusing on the causes of the hurricanes, we can build really strong levies but they'll only keep getting worse as the the weather is warming, and the oceans have that warm and cool pressure building up.

August 28, 2009 at 3:06 pm |
  3. Amber

Ditto to the lady from Long Beach, Mississippi!!!!
    the focus needs to be taken off of N.O.
    The people of Mississippi have gotten little coverage about how they ( in worse conditions) came back AGAIN (remember Camille???)
    What a difference a state line makes.

August 28, 2009 at 1:57 pm |
  4. Patricia Cavell Bulber

I am encouraged to see you spending a week in NO and your tour with James Carville. Perhaps every 4 years this allows the rest of the coun try see that the United States also includes states in the southern area! The weather reporters invariably point to Texas as " down south" when the states adjacent are Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. The South is NOT JUSt TEXAS! The US needs to learn the beauty and culture of our area and come visit to see and taste our delicious food. These people are very resilient! Perhaps you might even recognize the fact that three weeks after Katrina Louisiana was hit again with RITA devaestating the city of Cameron and damaging the seafood industry which feeds the nation. New Orleans is perhaps the most recognized city in Louisiana as a result of it's historical background, but the state has many more outstanding cities, Cameron being one. Perhaps you could come to Southwest Louisiana and see for yourself! Again thanks for your good work for NO. Pat

August 28, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  5. Lisa

Moderator, why do you keep blocking my comments? I am sticking to the rules, do I need to be 100% positive as well?

Maybe the show could have gotten to all of that, if they didn't spend so much time interviewing Elizabeth Smart and her dad. Don't get me wrong, it's great news that the girl was found, but it did not need to be the lead story, or such a long story. Also I admire Elizabeth Smart, I just doubt how much insight she, who was kidnapped 9 months, can give us in this woman who has spent much of her life in captivity away from the outside world since she was a child. This is the Katrina anniversary, you traveled there especially for this! New Orleans deserved more attention, and they should have been the lead.

The NoLa coverage that you did do was great, by the way, my favorite being the tour with Carville.

August 28, 2009 at 12:33 pm |
  6. mike

It seems to me the CNN continues to tell only one side of the Katrina story. Focusing on people who claim to have been "hunted" after the levee breakdown and susequent flooding. I remeber at the time a lot of stories about looting, crimes being committed, lawlessness. What about those stories? What about the law abiding citizens who stayed in their homes living in fear fo being robbed, or killed? Why don't you tell their story? C'mon AC, tell the truth! Not just your side of it...

August 28, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  7. Peter

How can you rebuild New Orleans when the levies are not properly repaired or even properly built at all. Just another disaster waiting to happen. Need to build proper levies. A hurricane can hit this year or ten years from now. I see the government is doing another great job preparing for disasters.

August 28, 2009 at 11:54 am |