August 27th, 2009

360 Interview: Elizabeth Smart and her father, Ed

Anderson Cooper | BIO

AC360° Anchor

An 11-year-old California girl snatched from the street in front of her house in 1991 had two children with the man accused of taking her and lived in a secret backyard shed, authorities said Thursday.

The 18-year mystery of what happened to Jaycee Dugard ended this week when a sex offender admitted to corrections authorities that he abducted her.

Since her kidnapping, Dugard has lived in her alleged abductor’s backyard, in a shed. All of this played out in a residential neighborhood.

We spoke to Ed Smart and his daughter Elizabeth. The Smarts lived through a similar nightmare, when Elizabeth was snatched from her bedroom in the middle of the night in 2002. She was found nine months later.

Elizabeth Smart and her father, Ed, speak to Anderson Cooper.

Elizabeth Smart and her father, Ed, speak to Anderson Cooper.

Anderson Cooper: Elizabeth from your own experiences, what do you think Jaycee is going through right now?

Elizabeth Smart: Well for me I felt relief and happiness and I was just excited to be home and back to the people that I know love and care for me and I know want the best for me. So I think Jaycee is probably feeling something along those lines as well.

Cooper: And Ed from a father's perspective what was it like getting that call, being told that after so long, your child was alive?

Ed Smart: It's the end of the nightmare. Just you know, it was very surreal, we didn't even get a call saying we had them, they just said we want you to come down. So I didn't know what to expect. They didn't even ask Lois to come with me, so you know, I'm just so happy for them, the moment finding that it was really her, was just like this one miracle in life that i could really have. It was just overwhelming and joyful.

Cooper: And Elizabeth, that reunion, obviously, incredibly emotional, and obviously, incredibly joyful. But there's got to be some ups and downs with it - can you talk a little bit about what that's like?

Elizabeth Smart: For me it was just overwhelming happiness because, I mean, I was out of that terrible situation, I was with my family and friends. I thought life was just going to resume back to what it had been before, I was just very happy. Of course I wondered what was going to happen, my captors, where were they going to be kept? What was going to happen to them? I mean, certainly there were some questions I had. But I would say for the main part I was just so happy, and I felt so loved being at home, and it was just one of the best days of my life.

Cooper: Ed, for you, what was that reunion like, and what do you think this reunion is like for this woman Jaycee who's been away for so long?

Ed Smart: The reunion was amazing, it was pure heaven. When we were transferred to the Salt Lake Police Department, one of my biggest concerns was that law enforcement would immediately get the full story from Elizabeth, which they took her in and started – I guess what you would call – debriefing her. And I was very concerned about that. And I'm hopeful that Jaycee will not have to immediately go through that. And that's basically reliving the whole nightmare of the time that she was gone. Now is the time to rejoice and be happy, reconnect as a family. The other will come, and it has to come, but right now it's just a time to live and feel the joy and happiness that life can bring.

Cooper: It was a police officer, a campus police officer, who was kind of very observant and got the ball moving, which ultimately lead to Jaycee being discovered. And yet, what we've now learned is that she was living in a backyard for 18 years, her children never went to school, never went to see a doctor. do you think the public is observing enough of things they see?

Ed Smart: I think that there are some people, in Elizabeth's case, there were two people that saw her at the same time. So I think a lot of people are very observant. I think that sometimes we need to put ourselves out and if we feel uncomfortable about something, you might look stupid, but it's better to check than not. There are other children out there like this that want to be found, and that we just need to work on how we feel.

In this scenario I don't know all the details on it, but you would i think somebody would have noticed a tent in a backyard. It sounds like it might have been remote. It's hard to second guess anyone and I wouldn't want to try to. It's important to be observant. I think that's really key.

Cooper: Elizabeth what's your advice for Jaycee?

Elizabeth Smart: I would tell her to just relax and enjoy your family and spend some time reconnecting. Maybe if it's possible to think back and think of things that she enjoyed doing with her family, and maybe going out and doing them again, and finding new things she would want to do with her family. One of the things I liked the best, after I came home – and no offense to the media – but, we didn't do anything. We just my family we went on a vacation but we just spent time as a family, which was like - it was the best thing I could have done. Together as a family, it was the best thing that I could have have done.

Cooper:And Elizabeth you would agree with your Dad, and just let her take as much time as she needs and tell her story or not in her own way, to her family, to her loved ones?

Elizabeth Smart: Yes I would agree with my Dad, for me it's something very personal and I just don't talk about it all the time with everybody and so I would think maybe she feels the same way and if she chooses to never say anything about it, I think it should always be her decision and there are a lot of people out here that love her and support her in what she decides to do.

Cooper: And Elizabeth, I read somewhere that you had written a pamphlet to help others who have been in similar situations, is that right?

Elizabeth Smart: That's right. A big thing I tried to stress in the section that I participated in writing was , to set goals for yourself to continually be moving forward, continuing on with your life and not letting this horrible event take over and consume the rest of your life. Because we only have one life and it's a beautiful world out there and there are so many things to see and learn and grow in. And I would just encourage her to find different passions in life and continually push forward and learn more and reach more for them and not to look behind, because there's a lot out there.

Cooper: It's something that happened to you its not who you are.

Elizabeth Smart: Right.

Cooper: Obviously, this is extraordinarily good news for everyone involved in this story. And it gives hope to other families out there who are still waiting for their loved ones to be found, in one way or another. Some would say that it gives false hope to some people because so many people will never find their loved one and yet there are cases like this, like Elizabeth's case, Jaycee's case. So it's a hard thing. Hope is important to hold onto isn't it?

Ed Smart: It is. A lot of people during those nine months said, how can you believe that she's still out there? You're crazy, or any number of comments. But I had this impression that Elizabeth was still out there, and we never gave up hope. That isn't to say that there weren't doubts in my mind. But for this family I've heard today that a lot of them kept on hoping, and you know, here it is. It's real. A miracle has happened.

Cooper: So many others are waiting and hoping as well.

Ed Smart: Absolutely.

Filed under: 360° Interview • 360° Radar • Anderson Cooper
  1. Johnny Nguyen

This interview is utterly asinine. “Elizabeth what’s your advice for Jaycee?” Are you kidding me, Anderson? What does Elizabeth Smart know about being held as a sex slave for nearly 2 decades? What does she know about bearing the children of her rapist? The older one is practically Elizabeth’s age and has spent her entire traumatic life in captivity!

Nice equivocation, AC360°.

August 28, 2009 at 6:34 am |
  2. Greg

You are talking to the wrong Elizabeth. Elizabeth Fritzl is the only one who can possibly understand what this woman has gone through. Sadly, this guy is another Fritzl.

August 28, 2009 at 6:30 am |
  3. Johnny Nguyen

This interview is utterly asinine. "Elizabeth what’s your advice for Jaycee?" Are you kidding me, Anderson? What does Elizabeth Smart know about being held captive for nearly 2 decades? What does she know about bearing the children of her captors? The older one is practically Elizabeth’s age and has spent her entire life in captivity!

Nice equivocation, AC360°.

August 28, 2009 at 6:23 am |
  4. Gary Z

RE: Ed Smart

To this day, I think Mr. Smart is creepy. I also feel that to some degree he is/was complicit in his daughters disappearance and subsequent retrieval.

Elizabeth is no longer a minor. It seems that wherever and whenever she speaks to someone, Ed is right there with her, It's almost as if he serves as a constant reminder to her as to what she is "allowed" to say. It's also interesting just how successful the Smarts have been in keeping media coverage limited and devoid of any lurid details of Ms Smart's time in captivity(?) Why and how is this possible? Take the recent murder of Jasmine Fiore.....lurid details? Too much, of course. But the question remains : How did Ed Smart work this all out?

Does anyone else feel this way about the weirdo Smart family?

August 28, 2009 at 6:09 am |
  5. Geraldine

Dear Anderson.... 8/28/2009

Subject: The Found, Missing Woman and Elizabeth Smart....

In watching last night's 360 show, you had Ed Smart and his daughter, Elizabeth on to comment on the missing woman found just the other day after 18 years. I couldn't help noticing, and some reason cannot forget how Elizabeth kept a slight smile on her face during the entire show. I recall when she was found, the police asked her, her name and she gave her name as: "Flower" or something, and never acted as though she was afraid for her life or needing help or wanted to escape from the couple that she was found with, and were allegedly holding her captive. And today, after reaching adulthood, her father and uncles still appear on television with her, whenever they can get a chance to. And she's even written a book or two on her childhood capture. But something has always rang a bit strange about this girl's captivity. Oh I believe she was taken by that strange, hippie looking couple back then. But she always appears "smiling" when she's interviewed about her captive experiences, which indicates to me anyway, that she may not have been held against her will so much as she and her family claims she was. And Lord knows, her family has played this story over the years to their own advantage. For a while, they could not stay away from doing TV interviews. The story just got old after she was found, and was no longer interesting to the public, but I believe they; (father and uncle) anyway, were ready to play the victimized family members for life.

Really, there is, and always will be something very strange about this young woman: (Elizabeth Smart), and her "persistent and constant smile" after allegedly being held against her will !

August 28, 2009 at 6:03 am |
  6. Alex Lee

Talk about comparing apples and oranges. Yes, both Amy and Jaycee's experiences were tragic, but not close to being similar. Amy was missing for 9 months. Jaycee was separated from her family for 18 years. Amy had a chance to grow up and reacquaint herself with people who looked relatively familiar after 9 months. Only a fool will think that Jaycee will be able to reconnect in such a way after 18 years with faces that will be almost unrecognizable in most instances. This is by no means a miracle. The real miracle will not be realized until after Jaycee and her children are able to reconnect with the rest of society and able to form meaningful relationships in their new lives. Also, I pray that the media gives them enough space to do so. That in itself would also be a miracle.
    Ultimately, I'm just deeply annoyed that someone I respect would solicit advice for Jaycee from someone who does not even come close to the type of abuse that Jaycee had to endure, not just for herself but also for her children. Deeply disappointing.

August 28, 2009 at 4:42 am |
  7. mike

why do'nt you talk about the truht. anderson you should be ashamed of your self.

August 28, 2009 at 2:39 am |
  8. Barbara Bragg

Cut his balls off.

August 28, 2009 at 2:25 am |
  9. Shelley

Both Elizabeth's and Jaycee's stories are amazing! I'm happy they returned to their families, and it amazes me that Jaycee lived for 18 years the way she did, it amazes me that she was never able to reach out for help... not that I am questioning her actions, because I'm sure there are reasons why people do not seek help when they are held captive.... but I am extremely happy for her family, 18 years is a very very long time to miss your daughter, one day is too long!

August 28, 2009 at 2:23 am |
  10. Carrie

Seriously? Elizabeth Smart was missing for 9 months, and is still a kid, and Anderson Cooper asks her what advice she would give Jaycee, who has been missing for 18 years and given birth to two children who have never seen a doctor or been to school? No comparison, and honestly, insulting to Jaycee and her family to hear someone say, "don't let one horrible event take over your whole life." Her horrible event lasted 9 months, this woman was robbed of 18 years. The advice coming from a kid was sweet, the question coming from a grown man, reporter journalist, was really ridiculous.

August 28, 2009 at 1:53 am |
  11. D albright

Elizabeth Smart recommends a family vacation as a form of rehab? As if this will assist a victim of 18 years kidnapping and rape in her assimilation back into 'real life'. I realize the how exceptional Smart's safe return was but really her experience was incomparable with that of Ms. Dugard. Unfortunately Jaycee Lee will have a much longer path back to normalcy.

August 28, 2009 at 1:47 am |
  12. Ronda Racha Penrice

Although I generally applaud Anderson Cooper for his consistent and courageous reporting on difficult topics, I was appalled by the tag line during the Elizabeth Smart interview that read "kidnapped girl found safe". How does being kept in a shed, repeatedly raped, impregnated and forced to bear children constitute "safe"? This young lady is irreparably damaged, especially since she was a child who did absolutely nothing to attract the heinous acts of this man and his wife. I was highly disappointed in AC360 and had to express it.

Sincerely,

Ronda Racha Penrice
    Atlanta, GA

August 28, 2009 at 1:42 am |
  13. lee johnson

Having a child abducted has to be a mothers worst nightmare. One of my twin daughters disappeared shortly after birth from the nursery in an Ohio hospital. And till this day, I feel had it not been for my brother inlaw whom is a detective and my former husband family, the child could have been permanently missing/abducted. She was found on another ward, with a nurse whom claimed to have been lonely and stated, " I was bored during the night shift and the baby kept me company." Now this was quickly hunched in the hospital and never recieved any follow up in the media. I was so scared and appauled by the hospital's explanation that I nor my family ever persued a case against the nurse or the hosp. During the event/incident the doctors and nurses as well as security flooded the ward in attempts to figure out what had transpired concerning the missing baby. Once she was found the apologies was overwhelming, and the attention we recieved till I was release was frighten with in it self. Let alone they kept my babies for a week to run test on them, claiming it was a formality. You can believe I kept these babies close and I still have trouble letting them go and they are approx. 30 years old now. God Speed to this women and her family. Love to the 2 new members ( the girls whom was born while in captivity.)

August 28, 2009 at 1:31 am |
  14. Christy

This is in poor taste, what happened to this girl in California and comparing to Elizabeth Smart, is not the same, comparing apples and oranges. Totally different events. I can't believe that the Smarts are even doing this, they aren't very smart. Leave Jaycee and her family alone.

August 28, 2009 at 1:28 am |
  15. Shepherd

Unreal! The smart case is not even close, what bs to bring them in!

August 28, 2009 at 1:17 am |
  16. Mickey Shatzer

I just want to say that I hear these kinds of stories and they always seem to touch my heart either with sadness, anger, or great happiness, depending on the story, of course. I just cannot imagine the horror these girls have survived and my heart is really there with them in way. I just would like them to know, especially to Jaycee, because I actually remember when she was abducted and I feel tremendous joy right now for her, to have finally found a way home and safe with her family once again, that you are in my thoughts and prayers and you must have been through hell out there over the years, please do all you have to, to no longer feel like a victim to these predators, so that you can move on and be happy now. Even if you have to find a way to actually pray for your abductors and perhaps even forgive them, which I know sounds absolutely absurd! The reason I say this is because I was molested over and over as a child, by my stepfather, and I stayed angry my entire life, which resulted in me becoming a drug addict, due to self-medicating trying to not feel all the pain he caused. When I finally got help and got sober, I had to find a way to forgive him for what he had done to me. I do not have to tell him that he is forgiven or ever even try to like the guy (of course, he is dead now) but ever since I made a decision to forgive him in my heart, I have been able to let go of all that anger I was carrying around for all those years, and I finally can truly feel happiness in my life, I no longer feel the need to abuse drugs to try to numb the pain. I really had to work hard to even tell myself that he should even be forgiven, but it was not about him it was anout me and I was his victim long enough. As long as I stayed angry and messed up inside, I remained his victim. Now I am truly a survivor and that is my hopes for you, my friend. You are a very strong and incredible young lady to have survived all of this abuse over the past 18 years and you have been his victim far too long. It is time to move forward in your life and be a survivor and a happy one at that! I shall always keep you in my thoughts and prayers and wish you the very best in your new life. May God bless you with everything that you deserve always. It will take some time to heal, but you can do it and I know you will. God bless you, Jaycee, and Welcome Home.

August 28, 2009 at 12:39 am |
  17. TT

As mean as this may sound, I dont think E. Smart could possibly understand what this woman is going thru....this lady has been held captive for 18yrs & given birth to the predator's kids..... not 9 months

August 28, 2009 at 12:39 am |
  18. martha frankel

Elizabeth smart was gone for 9 months, this other woman for 19 years. It's very possible that they have nothing in common. Just try to enjoy your family and not think of what happened? Oh yes, the kids...can she forget them too? Some things are just too hard to handle.

August 28, 2009 at 12:18 am |
  19. S.C.

My thoughts go out to the many children and their families who are victimized by criminals with sickening intent and demoralizing action. May the courts pervail with swift and steep punishment.

I hope the children will find the strength and receive the resources to overcome their grief; for in my eyes, the children are already courageous. Children lost are not forgotten, children found it is truly a miracle.

A special thank you to those who have helped with missing children.

August 28, 2009 at 12:17 am |
  20. Jessica

I love how optimistic Elizabeth is, but there's a big difference in being gone from your family for nine months, and being gone for almost twenty years. I think Jaycee is going to need a lot more than family time and a positive attitude to move past what has happened to her and her children.

August 28, 2009 at 12:07 am |
  21. Ted

Excellent idea for an interview. Ms. Smart was the perfect choice to give her opinion on this matter. Being abducted and held for 9 months made her completely understand what it's like to be held for 18 years and have two children by her abductor. Much like how I once asked my neighbor whose toilet flooded his unique perspective on what Katrina victims went through.

August 28, 2009 at 12:06 am |
  22. RoseProphecy

It is nice to see Elizabeth after all these years! She has grown so much and she has lost that childlike being as if she put that behind her very fact and wants to forget it! I hope that her family talk to her and make her feel free to talk to a professional and make sure all the fear is deleted out of her memory so that she can go on to love without fear!

August 27, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  23. Vikki

I'm not sure how this can compare...Jaycee was so young, bore 2 children, no schooling past 6th grade and is now 29. They will need lots of loving care and counsel.

August 27, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  24. April

Thank you Elizabeth for saying "A big thing I tried to stress in the section that I participated in writing was , to set goals for yourself to continually be moving forward, continuing on with your life and not letting this horrible event take over and consume the rest of your life. Because we only have one life and it’s a beautiful world out there and there are so many things to see and learn and grow in. And I would just encourage her to find different passions in life and continually push forward and learn more and reach more for them and not to look behind, because there’s a lot out there." That's the attitude that I have with my personal traumas that I have dealt with. Thank you for sharing this to the world. They need to hear this. I refuse to feel sorry for myself and this kind of positive attitude is what you need to survive this kind of trauma. Instead of being a victim, I'm a surviivor!

August 27, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  25. Tricia

You=Love

August 27, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  26. doug

I think there is a huge difference between the plight of this poor girl and the Smart girl. This girl has been gone a lifetime from her family and gone through an unspeakable horror. Elizabeth was gone for nine months. While Elizabeth's story is interesting, I think she is really not in a position to offer true insight into this tragic event.

August 27, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  27. Nancy

I think Anderson Cooper does an exceptional job of reporting with a sense of compassion and understanding. I was watching this evening as the report on Jaycee Dugard aired. It is a sensational story, and gives a glimmer of hope to other families of missing children. I would just like to suggest that with the millions of watchers CNN has, that it would be a worthy cause to showcase a missing child at the end of each and every show. How many more could we find? A 30 second shot with info after each show could possibly bring many children home.

August 27, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  28. Rachel

I lived in North Lake Tahoe when Jaycee was kidnapped. I have never forgotten her name and always wondered what happened to her. I cried this morning when I read the news that she was found. Take care Jaycee and I wish you a joyful and peaceful future.

August 27, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  29. Glenn

There is a difference between the two cases to be sure. Jaycee was held for 18 years and had two children as a result of rape. Major difference! Why does CNN or any media outlet assume that Elizabeth Smart can answer for Jaycee? I am so thankful that they both have their freedom but 18 years and what? 18 months are worlds apart!

August 27, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  30. cbaxter

while i understand why cnn and anderson cooper would want to add a layer to the public's understanding of the jaycee story, i find it irresponsible to suggest that what jaycee went through was akin to what elizabeth smart went through. elizabeth smart's abduction was a crime that i am sure she deals with every day, and was horrible – but it was 9 months, not 11 years. she did not bear childrean of her captor, etc. suggesting that the two women could recover from their ordeals in a similar way is ridiculous.

August 27, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  31. Zach Klein

The transcript and the video barely match at times.

August 27, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  32. Taliah Green

I'm wondering if Jaycee at any point, became comfortable with her abducters after being with them for so long. With the suspect saying that it's a heart-felt story. What kind of munipulations were they putting her through. With no one there to talk to, did she take them on as her family maybe? It's amazing what could be going on right next do to you. Didn't the neighbors get suspicious at all.

August 27, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  33. dave

Anderson Cooper is a tool!

August 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  34. Georgette Mantini

Elizabeth Smart is a great example of pulling through a very tough situation in her life and turningit around for good. People like Elizabeth bring hope into this world when we may feel there is none. I am grateful for her bravery and strength and how she has embrassed the goodness of life.

August 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  35. Angelique Sims

This is so shocking! She was missing for 18 years, now all of a sudden she is found ok?! It is good that she's safe, but it is also very odd how she was kidnapped, and now 18 years later, she is ok? All I have to say is Strange Story.

August 27, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  36. star5555

I appauld Elizabeth Smart for continuing on with her life and becoming a good person. I do think she is a rareity, the effects of what she went through are hugh. Therapy is needed throughout your whole life. Most victims of this sort of crime have a hard time seeing the good in the world. Most also stay in denial as to the serverity of the loss of children, or sense of self.

August 27, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  37. Shawn

Elizabeth you are a very strong person by sharing your story with us helps us understand what courage really means.

August 27, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  38. Teresa, OH

It is so touching to see the love that Ed Smart has for his daughter. Imagine what a powerful world this would be if every father loved his daughter as Ed loves his.

Elizabeth seems like she has adjusted well. Just a lovely family : )

August 27, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  39. Sharon, Ontario, Canada

I am just overwhelmed by this story! I do remember hearing about her
    abduction so long ago, but was taken aback by today's events. I am
    so pleased that Jaycee has been found and hope and pray that she
    and her family can negotiate their way through this horrendous nightmare to a happy and fulfilling life ahead. God bless them!

August 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  40. Questions

There is something strange about these abduction cases, where it seems like the full story is not coming out. Especially in the case of the abductions where they reached well into their adulthood..... It seems like there must be some point when they were no longer trying to escape, and if not – were they really truly glad to go back to a life they had not known for however long they had been away. Not trying to be a skeptic, but there are certainly some details being withheld that keeps these stories from making complete sense.

August 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  41. mike gretzinger

Fortunately the campus police office was doing his job.seems the parole offices over the past 18 years had not been doing theirs.i agree we need to ask question s and put ourselves out when something does not appear to be quite right. Instead of just be concerned about our own well being.

August 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  42. usa male

continued positive emotional growth to elizabeth !

August 27, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  43. Barbara

If Jaycee had other children who died, that makes this felony murder, and the couple would receive a much harsher sentence.

Giving birth to and raising children unattended in a shed might have led to a child's death.

August 27, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  44. Judy

Personally, thought the interview with Elizabeth Smart and her dad, was a little weird – can't possibly compare the two situations, eighteen years is a little different from nine months, I love Anderson but am really disappointed with this interview- simply inapprioate – why would the Smarts even want to still be so public – very strange.

August 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  45. Chris L.

Although I appreciate the significance of Elizabeth Smart's orderal in conjuction with the young woman abducted at at 11 in 1991, it is, in my opinion, a completely different situation. This now 29-year-old woman endured 18 years of captivity as well as bearing two children by her abductor with complete lack of medical care for her or her two children as well as a complete lack of education for the children involved. We can only imagine the horror of those 18 years. Now can you possibiy equate the two situations? I would sincerely appreciate an explantion.

August 27, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Leena

Interesting interview...but how much insight can we get from the Smarts about Jaycee's 18 years living in a shed?

August 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Kat

I greatly appreciated this interview. Yet, as I watched Elizabeth Smart and her father I found myself wondering if she's undergone a brainwashing of a different sort. Her father's face always bore an expression of anger, though he did let her express herself. Her words seemed stilted and somewhat rehearsed. Viewing the nightlights of the Mormon Tabernacle in the background I had to wonder if she returned home to a situation nearly as restrictive as the one she'd been rescued from.

I hope I'm wrong - I hope that she's been able to grow - spread her wings - become her own person. But I fear that may not be the case.

August 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Liliana Briones

I disagree with the interview of Elizabath she was kidnaped for 9 months not 11 years I think her experience is irrelevant!

August 27, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  49. Annie Kate

Great interview Anderson. Elizabeth Smart is such a smart young woman and seems so well adjusted. Considering what happened to her on the 9 month abduction she is so well adjusted its amazing – a testament to herself and to her parents and the support they have given her and their unending hope that she was alive and that they kept looking. I'm just so relieved that Jaycee was found alive and I hope this is the first of many children being recovered.

August 27, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  50. Elouise

I'm parying that the rest of this family's life be joyful. God can do it.

August 27, 2009 at 10:23 pm |