August 26th, 2009

Photo Gallery: Rare images of Ted Kennedy

Editor's Note: Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, the patriarch of the first family of Democratic politics, died late Tuesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, after a lengthy battle with brain cancer. He was 77. Take a look at these rare photographs from the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation.

Filed under: Sen. Ted Kennedy
  1. Edwina Morgan

farewell so sad

August 27, 2009 at 11:11 am |
  2. kirkland walton sr

It is with deep sympathy and sorrow that I offer my prayers to the kennedy family.I was tremendously saddened by the news of mr.kennedy's passing,but overwhelmed by the constant fighting and belief he stood firm on in which all men and women are indeed created equal. He will be missed by all who knew him and remembered as one of the pioneers of change. The dream is still alive and will live on throughout all of us.

August 27, 2009 at 3:28 am |
  3. David Pavao

I'm very saddened by the death of Senator Kennedy. He died from the same type of brain tumor that my own father died from in 2005 when he was only 66. I admired Senator Kennedy's triumphs over adversity, his commitment to family and country and his faith in the goodness of people. It is truly the end of an era, but hopefully with his legacy and fight for universal health care we are also at the dawn of a new era.
    May he rest in peace,

August 27, 2009 at 3:21 am |
  4. Maria Valverde

Iam so sorry to hear of his death. He will be greatly missed. He has been apart of this country since I can remember. My prayer will be for his remaining family.

August 27, 2009 at 2:20 am |
  5. Angel

Beautiful photos i haven't seen before. Rest in peace Uncle Ted. Wish we had been closer..

August 27, 2009 at 2:19 am |
  6. tacoma

farewell to a good man and family icon in my generation may the kennedys name live forever in our history

August 27, 2009 at 2:17 am |
  7. Miriam, from Louisiana

I feel sad for the Kennedy family. They have a place in History
    and have done so much for this country!
    To the Dunn family, my sympathies too.
    Cancer is just too common these days!

My only younger brother, died of the same brain Cancer that
    Ted Kennedy died of. My brother died at age 16, on Easter Sunday,
    1977 the day after his brain surgery. Mr. Kennedy led a long and
    fruitful life , my brother's life was cut short, he was
    an honor student at his private school and on the high school
    football team with both an academic and athletic scholarship
    to Florida State to Study Medicine. A life cut short, never to practice
    medicine and would have probably worked to help find the cure for
    Cancer. Our family will never know what could have been?
    The Kennedy family will miss him, as will we, but, I know they can be
    thankful that his life had meaning and they shared so much life with him.
    God Bless the dearly departed...

August 27, 2009 at 1:53 am |
  8. nea

Ted kennedy was true hero!

August 27, 2009 at 1:46 am |
  9. Cary-Rome,NY

Although his voice has been silenced,his spirit will live on. Teddy was a great man and his passing has left a giant void that can never be filled. Rest well,old soldier. Your battle has been long and hard and you have fought the good fight. You definitely deserve all of the accolades and tributes due you. Rest in peace and enjoy the riches of the kingdom of heaven.

August 27, 2009 at 1:44 am |
  10. Margaret Stackwood

“Heaven Holds The Faithful Departed”
    God bless you and keep you Ted Kennedy.

August 27, 2009 at 12:21 am |
  11. Patricia D'Alessandro

Dear Friends at CNN,
    It is always difficult to accept the death of great people who are younger than one's self. It doesn't seem fair, in some sense, that I am here to witness their funerals.
    The Kennedy Family ranks at the top of the list of great American families who helped to make America strong, and a place for all
    people to work and live in harmony. Yes, we all have our faults, and so did they. But the Kennedys gave us hope and courage to "carry on", no matter what the obstacles were.
    My parents emigrated from Italy in the early 1900's, with courage
    instilled in them that they passed on to their 10 chlldren, born and
    raised in Southwest Pennsylvania. As the only living member of
    this family, the 9th of the the 10, it is with deep felt sorrow that I understand what the Kennedy Family is now having to withstand.
    A future without family members whom we loved and who were responsible for the persons they helped to develop into fine citizens
    of America is a challenge we have to accept. The Kennedys were our guiding lights, despite their many faults and foibles. Their service to our country never wavered. It is because of their visionary perspectives that we are able to hold our heads high above the crowd, with a hope for a future that will encompass everyone.
    My deepest condolences to the entire family, who also lost a beautiful daughter, Eunice, just a few weeks ago. I had the pleasure
    of meeting her at a Special Olympics gathering in Brockport, NY, years ago, where I was working on one of the volunteer committees, supplying clothes for the participants, through Levi Strauss & Co., in San Francisco. She graciously allowed me to photograph her and I shall never forget the Grand March where Senator Ted Kennedy and the late Christopher Reeves, were there as Grand Marshals.
    It is an end to an era of greatness from a few who cared more than
    we will ever know. History will record them as "Knights in Shining Armor" who passed the torch to our beloved President Obama, who carries the same hope in his heart for not only Americans, bur for people around the world.
    May the Lord and His Angels look down and console the families,
    and all of us who have lived through a tremendously value part of
    our history.
    Sincere Best Wishes,
    Patricia D'Alessandro
    ciaopat9@gmail.com

August 27, 2009 at 12:13 am |
  12. Karen Solomon

Lovely memories of a remarkable statesman..we are blessed to have all benefited from his tenacity to do the right thing for those without a voice. Every American flag was at half mast for you today. Thank you Senator Kennedy for your stewardship, we are a better country due to your guidance.

August 26, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  13. Cathy Zumberg

Your passing was to me a passing of an era and the last of "The Kennedy Majic". I pray that others will feel and work as hard with the passion that you have shown for all Americans and others in the world. You did care about others and admitted your failings as a human being with honesty and good humor. I am happy you found happiness in your life. I hope we will find other leaders that can take your place.Ours is a trajic loss.

August 26, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  14. Catherine Massarini

Lovely pictures that touch the heart.
    Thank you Senator for all you so graciously
    gave us and our nation. You are a national treasure that will be deeply missed.

August 26, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  15. Barbara Terry

Thank you for these great photos. He was a champion for all! He is gone but will not be forgotten. My Prayers go out to the family.

August 26, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  16. Linda Baumgartner

I grew up during the Kennedy era and I am so thankful to have the many memories, tragic at times but yet memories that shaped me, inspired me. I am saddened greatly by the death of Ted Kennedy. He was much more than a senator. His legacy will live on by those he touched, shaped and inspired like me to make the world a better, more compassionate place to live.

August 26, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  17. Sue Gill

Thank you to the Kennedy Family for a life of service to the American people. Dreams, values and justice have been valued and will continue because of the goodness of people like Senator Kennedy and his family. God Bless and may Senator Ted Kennedy rest in peace

August 26, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  18. Larryboy

Where's the photo of Ted climbing out of the water, and walking back to his hotel after leaving Mary Jo to drown?

August 26, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  19. Margot Theresa Stoliker

Thank you for sharing such touching pictures of happy times!
    My heartfelt condolences to this wonderful family, who have inspired so many and contributed so much to mankind!

August 26, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Yvette Campbell

It's nice to see a glimpse in the life of a beautiful man! God rest his soul!

August 26, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Jim Benoist

I have a picture of Ted Kennedy and my grandfather from the 1960's. Ted Kennedy will be greatly missed by America.

August 26, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Dee

Senator Kennedy was a TRUE stateman, May his soul rest in perfect peace, his works will forever be remembered by all.

August 26, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  23. MICHAEL COTTON

"TED KENNEDY" THE LAST OF THE DYNASTY. GOD BLESS HIM

August 26, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Mary G, Forest Hills

RIP Ted. The end of an era, but his legacy – as well as all the Kennedys – will live on forever...

August 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  25. Ana-Texas

awesome pictures! a true legend! will be missed!

August 26, 2009 at 9:33 pm |
  26. Mari

Thanks for the photos CNN. Its fitting that we should pause and remember a good man, not a perfect man, a ....... good man!

Rest in peace, Sen. Kennedy, may perpetual light shine upon you. And may our Lord offer peace and comfort to Vicki and the family.

August 26, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  27. Susan

Great pictures ! What a great looking loving family ! I had never seen most of these pictures.

August 26, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  28. K. Teller

Lament the passing of a genuine American reprobate? I don't think so.

August 26, 2009 at 7:30 pm |
  29. Jessica

The day I really admire Sen. Kennedy was when he stood by Carolyn after the death of her brother. He was the Man! The whole family was in shock and he was the pillar for all of them. I am sure that Carolyn will never forget that moment either, how this man filled her father shoes during such a tagic time and was there for her. Kudos to all he did for his family and others.

August 26, 2009 at 7:27 pm |
  30. Laurie

Love these pictures! Thanks very much for sharing!

August 26, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  31. Fouze Farrhan,Colombo-Srilanka

Ted Kennedy's political life.. an example for politicians around the world...may his soul rest in peace.

August 26, 2009 at 7:07 pm |
  32. Natasha Conn

Teddy was the last of the true heroes of American politics. I worked as a Kennedy Girl for his brother Bobby's Senate Campaign, and will cherish my association with this great American family forever.

August 26, 2009 at 6:38 pm |
  33. Fernanda Pedrosa

Beautiful pictures! It's very interesting to see the transformations.

August 26, 2009 at 6:25 pm |
  34. Miriam Cooper, NY

Heart felt condolences !!!

August 26, 2009 at 6:11 pm |
  35. Sean Suile

Great nostalgic pictures from a lost "dreamy" time. Thanks/Sean Suile

August 26, 2009 at 6:10 pm |
  36. Marie Andel

I enjoyed the "rare photos of Ted Kennedy Thanks.

I ,too, have a rare photo of Ted Kennedy . It is from the Tuesday January 7, 1941 issue page 18 of P.M. Magazine (a daily newspaper published in NYC during the 30's and 40's)

The photo shows 8 year-old Ted climbing a palm tree. The caption under the photo reads:
    "Teddy Kennedy, son of Joseph P. Kennedy, who resigned as Ambassador to Britain, climbs a palm tree on his father's Palm Beach estate. His brother, Joseptrh, Jr. just got out on a limb too by advocating trade with the Nazis in a Boston speech." Photo by Wide World.

August 26, 2009 at 5:55 pm |
  37. camme

I was lost in the maze of The Capitol Building and walked into Senator Kennedy as I rounded a corner. His blue eyes were amazing.

August 26, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  38. Terry in Running Springs, California

Farewell to the "Lion of the Senate" Thank You Mr. Kennedy for a life spent working to improve the lives of the common American.
    Thank you, for the generations to come who will benefit from the many causes that you championed.
    Medicare
    COBRA
    Hate Crimes
    Discrimination
    Minimum Wage
    Healthcare and so much more. You were a true American hero, an advocate for the poor, the disabled, children and the working men and women of this country. You are an inspiration today.
    Thank you. Terry

August 26, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  39. Christine

The luxury of time unlike his brothers, but still very sad.

August 26, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  40. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

These are beautiful. I've posted them into my facebook page. I definitely want to keep them. Thanks!

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

August 26, 2009 at 5:15 pm |
  41. corvedacosta

He was blessed and lived a good life serving others. Good for him.

August 26, 2009 at 4:36 pm |
  42. Annie Kate

Wonderful pictures. I hadn't seen some of these before. Thanks so much for sharing.

August 26, 2009 at 1:32 pm |