August 23rd, 2009

Dear President Obama #216: Welcome to vacationland!

Reporter's Note: President Obama is on vacation. I am not. He will find my letters do not flag simply because he is not around to read them.

Tom Foreman | Bio
AC360° Correspondent

Dear Mr. President,

Considering that you are on vacation, you’ll forgive me if I spin off into some personal notes today. I suspect you don’t want to hear me prattling on about business or affairs of state anyway. So here goes.

First, I need a haircut. Usually I get in to see my stylist every four weeks or so, but this time I’ve allowed the days to get away from me, and I can’t even recall precisely when I last had a trim. My hair is beginning to descend down the back of my neck as if a full moon is due, flipping up slightly in a sort of mini-mullet, and I’m entertaining myself by periodically reaching back and fiddling with it.

It does not look terribly professional and my wife offered to make an appointment for me the other day, which is her polite way of saying, “Hey, Howard Hughes, how about a trip to the barber?” Of course there are advantages to sporting even a mild case of hockey hair. I can almost certainly cross into Canada with no documentation; just a slight turn of the head and a nod. “Can I see your passport…oh, sorry. Welcome home, eh?”

Second, we’ve been having storms here and that makes me sleepy. It’s not that I have any trouble sleeping in bad weather. To the contrary, I love the crash of lightning and the hiss of rain on the rooftop. But our dog Nola does not. She is quite young to be so troubled by the sound of thunder, but it is, as you know, an affliction common to many dogs. So when it storms at night, we hear her start whimpering in her crate downstairs, and invariably either my wife or I go stumbling down into the darkness to let her out, to hug and pet her until she calms down. Then we lay upon the downstairs sofa; she takes up her spot alongside, and we trail a sleepy hand down into her fur. She feels better that way, although she still moves around a lot and each time it wakes me up. Or my wife, depending on which of us has drawn the duty.

But she is a lovely dog, and it’s the least we can do to help her with her fears. She helps so much, in her own way, with ours.

Hope the vacation is going well. For heavens sake, don’t call now. You can use the rest and the family time. But a postcard would be nice. Did you take your dog along? I’ll have my hair cut before you get back. Promise.

Regards,

Tom

Find more of the Foreman Letters here.

1. Jeanette

Isn't vacations the thing Obama does best?? He needs to stay in the White House and do something to get our jobs back in this country. Forget about health care for now and bring back our jobs!!!!

This thing on health care is all about making people forget they don't have jobs and gives them something else to worry about.

No i am not Republican, just an independent who like millions of Americans need work to survive, not health care being the most important. Give us jobs and we can get our own insurance. Don't take our freedoms away. We need to vote every Congressman/woman out that doesn't help to get our country back instead of making us a third class country.

August 24, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  2. KIm

Chilmark and the Blue Heron Farm.! Horse back riding on the beach ! One picture of Obama riding a horse on vacation and saddled up for Universial Health Care. Obama has told the news to chill out at Chillmark and don't expect much. Whatever,is he going to ride a horse ?

August 24, 2009 at 12:03 pm |
  3. Norma Labno

Tom, I thought keeping your Letter to the President "lighthearted" as he's
    going on vacation – was thoughtful. This seems to be a good time of the
    year to get some leisure time in if possible.

Have an enjoyable hour or so each day and grab as much vacation time as possible.

Best to your family and your sweet dog who makes life much more
    special.

norma from nevada

August 24, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  4. Gary0821

This president stay on vacation! Didn't he and his family just take a tour of the US and most of the world with his town hall meetings? Don't forget the mother-in-law!

August 24, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  5. J.V.Hodgson

Hi Tom,
    Just like you, not busy today and I'm breaking my promise not to respond again, but it seems my comments hurt about Pres Obama not reading your mails, and that he has better things and more important things to do, but per yesterdays letter you do not care! OH goody.
    Well, whatever makes you happy and fulfilled in your job, thats your constitutional right which we must all respect.
    I see bloggers reducing substantially to your daily missives.... is there a message to you and CNN as your employer here as well!!
    Kind regards, but give it up, or get serious and relevant!!
    Hodgson.

August 24, 2009 at 2:03 am |
  6. Milton Smith

They should shut down the oil and gas industry patches October 29 2009 and we can all enjoy the addicted knob gobling fudge packers trying to find a fix. 'Hey patches whats the dilyo...'

August 23, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  7. Lori

Tom, thanks for the update.

August 23, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  8. Maragret Redmond

Am I the only one who understands what the real healthcare problem is? the problem is not what it will cost Obama's government. The real problem is that pharmaceutical companies are not interested in fnding "cures". Monies have been donated to them from private organizations and private citizens plus what they have "sucked" from governments around the world for medication, and in the USA for healthcare cost. This is Criminal. The last cure that was found dates back to the Polo vaccine. These pharmacutical jokers have only been draing people and covernments with "Treatment programmes" they haven't found a cure for cancer or anything else in 30 years. Obviously, there is no billions to be made if "cures" are found. Yes If more efforts were put into "cure" rather than treatments, the cost of healthcare would be manageable. If people around the world would stop giving donations, and some kinf of watchdog programme to monitor thes bums vis-a-vis being more accountable for producing cures, the cost of healthcare would stop exploding.

August 23, 2009 at 9:51 pm |
  9. nea

Take your time Mr. President and enjoy yourself you really derserve it. Even though you get highly criticized about everything you try to do.No matter how you try to help people some just dont appreciate it. I truly believe you are a true Christian and im very thankful for your leadership! Meanwhile the liars will still spread lies, the haters will still hate so no matter what, you continue to be alert and do what is best for our country, because no matter what YOU WILL NEVER PLEASE EVERYBODY!

August 23, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  10. pansy

"He should enjoy his vacation because no one else can do a better job ..So stop complaining because look at 8 year BUFFOON we had. . WE need to make sure not to repeat. For example, the blue hairs will sink our economy like the TITANIC. The media need to understand THE QUEENS ENGLISH and stop making a mockery out of PRES OBAMA"S speeches and conversations. You will begin to sound like the confused Blue Hairs."

August 23, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  11. Mrs. McCray

Pres Obama, I pray you and your family enjoy and relaxed on your vacation. I must say, you are the 1st black Pres., and the 1st Pres. to go into office with the bottom falling out. Don't mind what negative talks about how people judge you. Stand tall and remember that God is still in control, and he will only be the one to get us out of what others had put us into. It is so funny, no one knew that US was in such bad shape. I knew McCain wasn't going to help go across any table to help you! It is sad to say, "US is still upset that a black man madePres. I knew you were going to have trouble once elected as Pres. Both parties are not trying to help you out of the issues we are facing right now. They are just praying to God that you fail. You keep believing that God will see you through it all. All You rep and some Dem. know God sits up high and look down low on all of us. He knows your heart. Keep looking for man top bail us out of this. Keep blaming the Pres. Obama. You all will learn, that who is against him, and do not have God in them and those that do, God is going to make you all realize that He is the Pres., but he is God. I love you President Obama and 1st Lady Michelle! Since, you have been in office, they have kept a report card on you all. What was our Presidents Big Bush and Lil Bush report card?, and what did the US gave him as a grade?, . Keep the Faith Pres. Obama, do not let man bring you down or loss force, without God it is impossible.

August 23, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  12. toyin Anjous

Dear President,

For the first time we have a president that is dealing with real issues of this country i.e healthcare. I am an American with Nigerian Parents. I have lived long enough to realise that some Americans are so Gullible. Reason, They let some Rep. and Dem. alike feed them nonsence because they know these Americans would not take the time to do their own research to make a clear decisive decision on health care. I work for a Healthcare insurance that is also one of the companies that is engaged and happy about this process. Don't Americans realise that everyone in this country will have access to health care and in the long run it will cost us less than what we are spending now as a whole. I am happy to get less money if it will help others to have access to health care. Mr. President Sir, more grease to your elbow. I respect you more so becasue you could have ignored healthcare so you could have the highest ratings but instead you choose to deal with real issues while getting a low approval rate.

Keep up the good work and May God shame those that are trying so hard to see you fail.

August 23, 2009 at 3:51 pm |
  13. Mrs. McCray

Pres Obama, I pray you and your family enjoy and relaxed on your vacation. I must give say, you are the !st black pres. and the 1st pres. to go into office with the bottom falling out. Don't mind what negative talks about how people judge you. Stand tall and remember that God is still in control, and he will only be the one to get us out of what others had put us into. It is so funny, no one knew that US was in such bad shape. I knew McCain wasn't going to help go across any table to help you! It is said to say, "US is still upset that a black man made pres. It was know kind of helping you out with any of the issues we are facing right now. They are just praying to God that you fail. You keep believing that God will see you through it all. All You rep and some Dem. know God sits up high and look down low on all of us. He knows your heart. Keep looking for man top bail us out of this. Keep blaming the Pres. Obama. You all are going to find against him until God make you all realize that He is the Pres., but he is God. I love you President Obama and 1st Lady Michelle! Since, you have been in office, they have kept a report card on you all. What was our Presidents Big Bush and Lil Bush report card, and what did the US gave him as a grade, and that will tell you everything. Keep the Faith Pres. Obama, do not let man bring you down or loss force, without God it is impossible.

August 23, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  14. Angie

It is sunday, August 23, 2009. And between 11:30 am and 11:45 am I heard your CNN comentator state that according to the non-profit Kaizer foundation ... !
    first off, Kaizer is a profit making Medical insurance MONSTER.
    Any foundation of Kaizer is tied to that Medical insurance Monster. And if you dig deep enough you will see that any study Kaizer foundation did, is bias and speculative. And in no way should it ever be considered an independent study.
    I am getting tired of the lies, so Stop it!

August 23, 2009 at 2:52 pm |
  15. DencyW

Haha nice blog

August 23, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  16. michael avant

Why has CNN or any other news organization not shown a detailed
    breakdown of the health care benefits of members of congress and the senate.

And the President, Vice-president or the rest of federal employees.

Before they retire and after they retire.

Members of government have health care benefits mulitiple times better that the average citizen let alone the non-insured.

In the public healthcare options discussions, I think such an investigative news segament gives the american public an eye-opener to what heatlh benefits the average american has and those goverment empoylees who represent them.

Thanks.

MA

August 23, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  17. Sno

Haha!!!What the President Obama would do without your letters.I'm sure he's telling Nola's story to his daughters :).
    Haha you rock!

August 23, 2009 at 9:49 am |
  18. Rachel / Texas

If nothing else Pres Obama should admire your promise to yourself to write everyday, so we the American public give you permission to also take a week off. You've done a great job, we Think so, and the President thinks so, I believe he reads the letters and gets a much needed laugh. Go get your hair cut...God bless

August 23, 2009 at 8:57 am |