August 18th, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 8/17/09

Editor's Note: After last night’s AC360°,  viewers continued the discussions on the proposed health care reform, and also questioned the balance of the panel discussing it. Discussions on Michael Vick’s return to the NFL also drew response from our audience, with mixed feelings about it. While some expressed the opinion that his remorse comes only from being caught, others feel forgiveness is in order now that he has paid his debt. We’d like to hear what you have to say on these issues:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am disappointed that CNN is having a panel discussion about healthcare with one person (David Frum) who is clearly promoting the Republican viewpoint while Nia Malika and David Gergen are remaining virtually neutral. If you are going to have a guest tow the Republican line you must have one to do the same for the Democrats!

This President cannot catch a break. First the majority of Americans support Health care reform. Then the Republicans and conservative groups put out a deliberate misinformation campaign to stop it, and all of a sudden only half or nearly half support it. What are they yelling the most about a takeover of health care by the government and death councils? This is deliberate misinformation and scare tactics. I thought the election of Barack Obama meant we had finally seen through this nonsense….

I am concerned that too many questions remain unanswered about what the health care reform really means for individuals, but I am most worried about the attempts to pass it so quickly while so many questions remain. At this point I’m neither against it nor on board with it. I’m just confused over it!

I don't think the reason NFL player Michael Vick cried in his cell was because he felt bad and guilty for what he did to these poor dogs, but because he got caught. Once an animal abuser always and animal abuser.

Who cares if Michael Vick is sorry?! Seriously. I don't think he'll do it again. That's for sure. So rehabilitation worked in this case, even if it didn't work for the right reasons.

Mr. Vick should not be preaching about the dogs; he should be grateful the fans are giving him another chance....he should donate 10% of his salary to various groups for animals; that is if really feels for the cruelty his done to those animal and the money he made off them. GIVE IT BACK...IT WAS BLOOD MONEY.

Michael Vick paid his debt to society...he did more time than most "CHILD MOLESTERS." I don't see you reporting about them every night.

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. Doris Ellenwood

Ellen, as an animal activist, what are you doing to stop the senseless slaughter of animals by sports hunters? Or do you not care about the deer, moose, and other furry four legs. I'm sure there are plenty of NFL players that hunt, and not just for food. Big game hunting is a trophy sport. But that's ok right; it's just a bunch of boys having fun. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

August 19, 2009 at 2:41 am |
  2. Ellen Fulmer

I disagree with Doris E. Michael Vick has not served enough time. And it is extremely relevant as to whether Mr Vick is truly sorry and will treat all creatures with an ethical and loving heart in the future. I am an animal activist because they don't have a voice. People can speak up for themselves; animals cannot.
    All news may not be relevant, in their minds, to all people. But CNN has a responsibility to report on all of the news affecting this country and the world at large. Turn your TV off or switch channels if something is not of interest to you!
    Keep up the good work CNN

August 18, 2009 at 5:26 pm |
  3. Keith

Pls ask the question...

Bank of America, not working with home owners struggling to pay their mortage. Maybe all lenders are like this?
    Tactics:
    1)Delay in provided information.
    2)Misinfomation
    3)Collecting fees
    4)Buying bad mortages to collect fees
    5)What are their success percentages?

Info from serveral friends dealing with BAC, that was once with CountryWide.
    Not struggling yet, but did like CountryWide better!

August 18, 2009 at 3:44 pm |
  4. Alice, Arkansas

Oh, and by the way, I voted Republican. Shame on me!!!!

August 18, 2009 at 2:47 pm |
  5. Doris Ellenwood

Hi Anderson, I'm a big fan of CNN. It's the first place I trun to for accurate and impartial reporting. However. I do not feel that the constant reporting on whether Michael Vick is sincere is considered news. Michael has serverd his punishment and should not continue to be punished by the media. That's not reporting, that's sensationalism. CNN you're better than that.

Still Love Ya, but don't push it!
    Doris Ellenwood

August 18, 2009 at 2:12 pm |
  6. Isabel • Brazil

AC360 was perfect yesterday!

I can't hide that I like most is of the liveblog. And was very good! Perfect!
    High-level discussion.

The show had a little of each subject, was dynamic. Great!

But the humans always want more, then today you all have to do better! Lol...

August 18, 2009 at 1:30 pm |
  7. Liz

We were watching the show last night and on came a commercial for "Ashley Madison: When divorce is not an option" – this is the second time I've seen this commercial while watching AC360 and I find it horrifying that they sponsor the show.

I think it undermines the show's credibility. It seems like a commercial that should be on late night tv along with the Girls Gone Wild ads.

I find it really disappointing and disconcerting.

August 18, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  8. Natalie

I think the whole issue of dog fighting which is rampant throughout the country should be exposed. An expose' of dog fighting would tell people just how prevalent this crime is throughout the country. Michael Vick is only one of hundreds, perhaps thousands who engage in this activity.

And, what about the issue of cock fighting? That is supposedly against the law also, of which there has been no coverage.

Personally, I forgive Vick for this. The days of penitents walking around in sack cloth and ashes has long passed. He has served his time and is now working with the Humane Society to educate young people on what not to do. However, I'm not so sure his efforts will do anything to stem dog fighting among adults.

August 18, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  9. Ellen Fulmer

I cannot Believe John Ridley on AC360 last night had the nerve to say that Michael Vick over payed for his actions? Really, Mr Ridley? Did you study the entire situation??!!! It wasn't just dog fighting, it was also the execution of these dogs when they were no longer of use to his greed...soaking them and electrocuting them?...drowning them?... He compared his sentence to those given others, some of whom committed crimes against humans. Well, Mr Ridley, the justice system has rules and courts where human rights are defended every day. Animals have no way to speak up for themselves and so We must be their voice! In my opinion Michael Vick did not pay sufficiently for his crimes against poor defenseless animals! I live in the Philadelphia area and I am now an Ex Eagles fan!!!

August 18, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  10. Alice, Arkansas

Americans continue to be asked by the Republicans to trust the private sector and not our government. Look at the health care crisis. The private sector has had decades to come up with affordable and accessible health care for all our citizens and they have failed. Look at the economic crisis. Again, we trusted the private sector to keep our economy strong and secure and they failed us again. They were stealing Billions of dollars from the American people for 401K's, promising that we would all be millionaires when we retired. That has turned out to be a joke too.

Did you read where 7 of the top 10 paid CEO's in America worked for the oil companies? The highest paid CEO made $710,000,000.00 last year. This while the American people were paying $4.00 a gallon for gasoline. This is the private sector at work. I would trust my life with my government any day of the week over the private sector. At least I can vote them in and out.

August 18, 2009 at 11:46 am |
  11. Donna Wood, Lil' Tennessee

I tend to agree with those that feel Mr. Vick is not so much sorry for what he did to those dogs but for getting caught doing what he did to those dogs. He's probably thinking this will all blow over after a while and then he'll go right back to doing what got him in trouble in the first place or worse. I think this one bears watching.
    About health care, only time can answer that one. I still back the President, however, and hope that his program for health care reform makes it through. I am actually able to turn a deaf ear to the screamers and shouters. I'm hearing impaired, it's easy for me!

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

August 18, 2009 at 11:26 am |
  12. James

Interesting the current government seems to be attempting to slip a virtual repeal of the second amendment through congress or committee under the uproar created by the health care debate. There are two different proposals H.R. 1022 and H.R. 45 in Congress that I have not even heard mentioned in the news. H.R. 1022 that would allow the Attorney General to ban firearms at will, as well as ban any firearm that was designed for military or police use including all pistols. H.R. 45 is proposing such tight restrictions that it would be improbable for new gun purchase or to keep the guns those citizens posses including a required firearms license for any firearm. It would in addition to a yearly tax of $50 per gun, a licensing fee for each purchase, and a fee to sell a firearm would include the government's ability to come search your home at any time to make sure it is stored in a safe location. So this bill not only destroys the second amendment it also destroys the forth.

August 18, 2009 at 11:06 am |
  13. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

The cases of poeple getting murderd doensn't create such outcty just animla abusres and killers .I wish that the media whould pay more attention to humans who have been murderd or children and the outcry from that kind of tragedy it 's painful nonone sems to care about anyone any more people ,animals .What 's wrong with this society ?

August 18, 2009 at 10:41 am |
  14. Claire D. Bryant

Michael Vick is an amoral individual who is being packaged and programmed in order to resurrect his lucrative career. Anyone involved in this, especially the Eagles management, should hang their heads in shame. It is this sort of thing that makes me ashamed to be an American. His 60 minutes interview was a monotone, emotionless presentation, totally unbelievable to any thinking person. Mr. Vick is lucky to be free and able to live his life as he pleases. How dare anyone that allows him to be in the public eye, and a role model to young men. Shame, shame, shame.

August 18, 2009 at 10:40 am |