August 11th, 2009

Photo Gallery: Health care town hall in Pennsylvania

Photos by AC360° Producer Joneil Adriano

Gary Tuchman and AC360º Producer Joneil Adriano were in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania where they met with town hall goers: supporters and opponents of health care reform alike.

An hour before it began, the line to get into the town hall already snaked across the quad.

Health care proponents also showed up in force.

Gary Tuchman interviews a town hall participant.

Another Obama supporter in attendance.

Opponents of health care reform like this man once again showed up en masse.

A plea for civility.

This health care reform opponent is worried about the costs to taxpayers.

Not all participants came to discuss health care reform.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Gary Tuchman • Health Care • Joneil Adriano
  1. Cindy

@ Jason...don't worry...2010 and 2012 is right around the corner....

August 12, 2009 at 2:39 am |
  2. Denise Darling

I am for the plan. Government already pays for the military and their dependants medical for free. It is a HMO plan and at least they are covered. If anything all children should be covered by the government. Health insurance is expensive and hospitals and doctors have high rates. There has to be a happy medium.

August 12, 2009 at 2:12 am |
  3. Horace

National Health Care would be a beautiful things for people who can't afford insurance but and I repeat but, will it be away for abortions to be paid for now or even later ? Making it easier for mad stem cell scientist to take the embryo or conceived baby. I'm against abortions.Secondly will it allow the government to go ahead and pull the plug on you ill love ones ? Before my late wife passed away,social workers ( government workers) came in my home and tried to force my wife into a heathcare facility over my will. So much so until they tried to push and favored my daughters will over mine. This happened more than once. Regardless of what I said they kept coming and I kept saying no. If it's any thing like dealing with social workers it would be government decisions rather than yours of your ill or terminally ill love one. I need heathcare right now because I was wrongfully dismissed by my employer but still,from experience I see americans families being overruled when it come to decisions concerning their ill love ones.

August 12, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  4. Robin

this is scary. this is not the way it should be. i was nearly run over by people opposing the plan. me, a pregnant woman, was really scared she would get hurt. it is a lot scarier in person than it is on tv. i used to work for an HMO. i was fired because my boss found out i wasnt screwing people out of their money and lives. no one stood up for me, so i just left. the HMO's in this country is the problem. i should know. its like the government give money to the HMO's and the HMO's supposed to take care of the people, not just the rich, but all of them. and get in mind, that a lot congress people are being paid by HMO's for election races and special benefits so they may do or not do a lot to end this scary thing that is going on now. america will never get anywhere with repubs saying NO and Break Him, and ruining it for people just because they are getting paid by big businesses. and most of the dems are just way to slow and stupid to do anything, except the pres. good thing im still a independent ( the "i" in independent meaning, "i dont know what party so i stay here)
    we the taxpayers pay for them. why can't american taxpayers get money directly from the government instead of having to go through troublemakers and moneywasters like the HMO's who dont give a squat about american "non wealthy" people. but no one will stand up to them because its all about money now. we are a capitalist country. these people in congress are supposed to lobby for us, we put them their so they should work for us. but they dont. at least this pres and very few congress people (both sides) are trying to do what their jobs that we wasted our time, money, gas, and a small period of our lives to do. others are just playing games and "frontin" like they care, when all they care about is money. and "me, my party, my election, my money, money, money, me, me, me"

August 12, 2009 at 1:03 am |
  5. Sharon Sprague, Kansas

During the 8 years when Bush/Cheney ruled the country how many of us and how many time die we protest what we disagreed with at the top of our lungs totally disrupting the exchange of information which our Representatives are trying to facilitate?? Tell me.

When the Republicans are in POWER, they don't want to hear what the people of this country have to say or about how we think. Did George Bush EVER talk to a group of people who didn't already agree with him?? In all of his reign, he didn't listen to a voter, a Democrat, or a world leader who wouldn't tell George he was RIGHT.

So, we voters had the last say in November. We chose President Obama and Vice President Biden because WE NEED DIALOGUE IN AMERICA. We wanted to hear all sides of an issue and so did Messrs. Obama and Biden.

But, true to form, Republicans or conservatives from the White House to the house next door don't want to hear out anyone who disagrees with them. And, that's why America is in the sorry state its in.

You listen to your own propaganda on your TV and radio stations. It's the same opinions and so-called "facts" over and over and over again. And, now, when we all need to sit back and listen all you want to do is holler at the top of your voices so nobody talks and nobody listens.

Maintain your ignorance. Sit on that money you're behaving so badly to protect. One day you'll be unemployed and uninsured like me - though no fault of your own - and you wish you had shut up and learned something.

August 11, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  6. scowtz

If you were to shut off the visual and listen to Gary Tuchman's report. Stating how people didn't "trust the president... or have respect for members of congress"... What kind of wording is that? How about Congressmen/women having respect for their constituents and going back to Washington after these town halls and telling the President... that it's a no go with my people? Congress works for the people... represents the people. How about CNN show some respect to it's viewers and stop talking down to the average American middle class. Why don't you have John King do a show on Healthcare and somebody actually "REPORT" on it... Intestead of this "spin" about how average town people showing up for a meeting are "plants" and "rowdy"... For crying out loud they look angry enough but they are the people that live next door... who are afraid they will be without healthcare!!!!

August 11, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  7. geoff

the voice is not for the elected. the elected's voice is supposed to be of the people they represent. Also no matter how good this healthcare reform sounds to people, it is unconstitutional. Therefore, it should not even be an issue in our governement.

August 11, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  8. camille

i find it so had to believe that this is all about healthcare. because it seem to me that when bush was doing the same thing obama is no one said anything. the only reason people are saying something now is because he is black

August 11, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  9. Terry, TX

What a moronic statement ..."if you want your voice heard, win an election." Winning an election doesn't mean American citizen's voices will be squelched and bills that are not even being read will be crammed down our throat....the honeymoon is over...the gloves are off....get use it...we vote too. If you don't like the dissent....go to Venezuela.

August 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  10. Grant

I believe that the man holding the "please be polite" sign shows my fellings for this issue. Yeah we know that you have an oppinion and want it to be heard, but man, forming the line shown in picture one just to get into a town hall meeting is terrible. Even worse, some of these meetings have acumulatided to sensless shouting matches and worst of all, violence. Coroperation is what is going to solve this issue, not beating each others brains out.

August 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Louie

Why not have these town hall meetings when most folks are not working, like in the evening? Perhaps they are scared who would attend? Working folks like myself, who don't believe in big government taking over anything in my life, especially health care! Let's vote these morons out of office this fall!

August 11, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Jason

"The majority of Americans do not like to be left out of the decision making process when it affects their health and well being!"

This is America and we have a democracy. If you want your voice heard, win an election.

August 11, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  13. david

Why are protestors of Obama's healthcare plan troublemakers and protestors of the war in the middle east conscientious objectors. The gov't reporting Obama healthcare reform opponents as anything accept individuals speaking their mind is paramount to gov't efforts to suppress free speech. When will congress sign themselves up for the plan they want us to swallow.

August 11, 2009 at 9:31 pm |
  14. Jason

"They are only hearing the voices of those that want it all for free..."

I think you lost credibility there.

August 11, 2009 at 9:25 pm |
  15. RLWellman

Here again I ask the question. Who has had what planned for a while. People for the reform as it is written have t-shirts and signs that were printed at places like Office Max. Those that oppose the reform have hand written signs.

Looks more like the left has had this planned for a while. Maybe ACORN is helping out with money and signs?

Liberals, you had better learn how to work together. Because you aren't going to get another thing passed acting the way you are. The majority of Americans do not like to be left out of the decision making process when it affects their health and well being!

August 11, 2009 at 9:22 pm |
  16. Zoe

Hi. Funny that the "rich" aren't the ones making noise or am I wrong about that? 🙂 I do think there is a lot administrative ppl who don't need to be there and should be replaced by use of technology thereby cutting costs.

August 11, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  17. Elsie Wierzba

What about page 425 of President Obama's health care proposed plan? Doesn't sound to good for Senior citizens. Why can't we all have the same kind of health plan the members of Congress have? Why is there's so much different than ours? Do they actually realize they are working for us and that we have the ability to fire any and all of them. I don't think they have any idea what the citizens of this country want. They are only hearing the voices of those that want it all for free. Seems like some want everything but don't want to work for it. And, why should they when we give them everything they want. I have been inundated with emails concerning page 425. Please explain this.

August 11, 2009 at 8:52 pm |
  18. Sabrina In Los Angeles

More civility and order so the issues can get addressed and solved....not toddlers throwing tantrums and the truth being suppressed.

August 11, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  19. Annie Kate

Looks like a free-for-all. Hope some of the meetings are accomplishing something constructive instead of polarizing the politics of the country even more.

August 11, 2009 at 8:20 pm |