August 11th, 2009

Evening Buzz: ‘Scare tactics’ for Pres. Obama’s health care reform?

What is really scary...is to do nothing, President Obama says Tuesday.

What is really scary...is to do nothing, President Obama says Tuesday.

Suvro Banerji
AC360° Intern

President Obama was in Portsmouth, New Hampshire earlier today fighting back at his health care critics for employing "scare tactics" and "wild misrepresentations.” He addressed a supportive and relatively calm town hall meeting as opposed to the ones held by other members of his party. Tonight, we will show you parts of his speech in his own words.

Meanwhile, Republican-turned-Democratic Sen. Arlen Specter faced the tough questions in Pennsylvania. Some accused him of violating their constitutional rights by allowing the government to takeover the health care system and thus, adding to the federal deficit. Gary Tuchman is live tonight from Lewisburg, Pennsylvania to give us the latest. We will also take the politics out the equation and show how much of the stuff that’s being discussed in these town hall meetings is actually true. 360° MD Sanjay Gupta will keep them honest.

How should we tackle health care waste? A new study by PriceWaterhouseCoopers identifies several areas of massive health care waste. We’re talking about trillions of dollars. Tom Foreman will break it down for us.

Also tonight, we have a new development in the Michael Jackson death investigation as police raided a Las Vegas pharmacy. A source tells us the pharmacy sold the strong anesthetic ‘propofol’ to the pop legend’s personal physician, Dr. Conrad Murray. Chief correspondent for Inside Edition, Jim Moret and CNN legal analyst Lisa Bloom will join us from Los Angeles for more insight.

Plus, an American soldier is under arrest for allegedly serving a Mexican drug cartel and even murdering a cartel member. Ed Lavendera will show us how young Americans are being recruited by these cartels in tonight’s crime and punishment report.

And, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton toured a refugee camp today in the Democratic Republic of Congo- an African country where thousands of women are raped by soldiers and the violence is getting worse. Anderson traveled to Congo in 2006 to report on this brutality. Tonight, we will air his 360° dispatch.

All these stories and much more tonight on 360° at 10pm ET. See you then!

1. Mark from Saint Louis

You libs need to read the bill HR 3200. This shows clearly that the government will take over many parts of the health care system. I know you have a hard time believing this but, Obama is lying. Educate yourselves and then decide.

August 12, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  2. J Hunt

Answer me this If AARP renounced Obamas statement he said AARP was a backer supporting his reform bill why would the AARP council
    report over their website five minutes after the NH townhall they never have supported this reform bill and the presidents statement of the AARP having done so was inaccurrate for AARP doesnot and have not supported any legilation for healthcare reform from the house nor the senate so Obama lied on direct TV Media to the entire nation to try
    and convence the seniors and elderly his reform bill was the cure all
    there is something deeply wrong with that false statement of AARP support for his reform bill deeply disturbing. I voted for him and wont do it again for that fact. Somehow this deception of a group meant to really care and help people to avoid the pitfalls of our health care programs and in general welfare of our elders the whole reason for the existance of the American Association for the Retired People
    their whole website is to promote and to assist in the complications and support of the fathers and mothers and gransfathers and grandmothers of this very nation. we are the ones a very large
    bargaining group with enough clout as a group to put a stop to this lies. Bet Obama wont lie again for we will catch him that for we wont blindly follow him aagain. Never again. no sir.

August 12, 2009 at 8:18 am |
  3. J Hunt

I watched Obama in the NH townhall he spoke about his want for reform but he would not support any single payer reform nor universal reform that cuased taxes to rise or have to cost tax payers more
    Im not for three things I know this reform will fund probably more
    They are funding abortions is wrong if the abortions are for the wrong
    killing of lives. second The people they identify were not isolating a very big group of foriegn alien illegals that was not written they would cease to get health care in our tax paid thus tax funded costs burdened to americans but they being a cause that medicare is failing now then need to be removed from the reform as a reform
    that would in my senses reduce some real tangible costs that shoul dnot be burdening americans now or in the future of a true cost cutting reform. There are ways for them to become true swarn in
    legal citizens and they will benifit in future if they have the will and find the path so exclude illegal aliens the one true cost we know have affected lowering costs too our medical systems fourth why would Obama out right lie and say the AARP supports this reform bill and
    five minutes later the leaders of the AARP council and the AARP web site confirm they have not and are not supporting any reform bill
    nor any house or senate reform legislation of healthcare reform that tells me Obama is willing to lie to this nation over our tele media nationally and lie to us saying my AARP american association for Retire People councel says Obama statement was inaccurrate
    AARP does not and has not supported this reform bill. He lied to us nationally wide over TVmedia lastly if doctors who are providing the
    care worry about the laws and tort law is the issue they concern about not on the table and not due to change this worries me for the insurance coverage and these mations laws are what we are founded on so that means if Obama means true reform healthcare wide reform why not the laws behind this nations reform I dont feel
    repeating our mistakes as its been said before laws meant to make change so the public is not burdened with the corporate and big business prior required provided healthcare costs when many or us who have done the working and living and surviving all these greedy
    misuse and abuse of this natiions people funds medical coverage
    the insurance companies and profit should be removed from all
    public basic needs like healthcare and childcare which both should be funded by our government as a alternative not a universal replacement for once mmedical and childcare costs are remived as a social provided cost we all know every business or privately funded medical or chilldvare costs will cease to be provided if government steps in with universal one payer medical for in this country of capitalism we all know nig business and corporations and LLC's
    cant wait to drop the costs associated to funding health care
    should they try to pass universal healthcare they would bo no
    decent health care or private health care in this nation we all know this to be true. I wish Obama would answer these reforms in his bill
    and to me change for the sake of change is a fools change but change with truth and reforms of waste as in the illegals costs to our nation and the immoral handling of abortion and this issue of euthinasia instead of good alternative choice for we all know he said if you have healthcare and you like your coverages as they are you can still have them as choice that does not insure you can afford those
    covergaes after reform is instated nor that you would even concider
    those coverages because there is no guarantees your very own doctors you have through that coverage or by taking on the reform will carry that coverage or contract to provide same Ive been in the
    healthcare system long enough to know they the government
    estimates dont mean squat look at the clunker estimate that billion would last a year it lasted a week so much for estimate goverment
    budgeting so just saying they expect reform to save 1.2 trillion
    over 10 years well he wont be office in ten years but we as a nation need healthcare and it will /i guarntee take mor than ten years to fix this fool reform if some basics dont get taken out of the bill and add some reason torts for the laws to change with this change and
    the reasons our medical is in trouble now and gurantee will be worse once dont eliminate the waste and the insurance greed from our healthcare healthcare should not be rules by greed driven by profitsfor the true meaning of healthcare is to provide just that nothing less
    and not for the entire world or every tom dick and harry that flops over the border nor be denied to those who are old and need it most that the truth no lie. Sincerely J Hunt California I did vote for him.
    But wont again. He lied about the AARP support for a reason and its
    that political lies are as bad as lawyers cant trust a lying politician trying to affect my nation. This bill will change this country to much to take light. Lying to this nation in this time of great need is not the way to lead this nation down a path of true reform as he woul dhave us believe. Its to important to me and my nation Ex military serviceman.

August 12, 2009 at 8:07 am |
  4. Dean D. Ellis Lake Worth, Florida

The Bipartisan Patient Protection Act (informally and incorrectly known as the McCain-Edwards-Kennedy Patients' Bill of Rights) Senate Bill S.1052 of the 107th Session of the US Senate, was an attempt to providing comprehensive protections to all Americans in health plans in 2001.
    S.1052
    Title: A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 to protect consumers in managed care plans and other health coverage.
    Bipartisan Patient Protection Act – Title I: Improving Managed Care – Subtitle A: Utilization Review; Claims; and Internal and External Appeals
    Sponsor: Senator John McCain [AZ] (introduced 6/14/2001)

Some of the notable provisions:
    “…(Sec. 122) Prohibits a plan or issuer establishing rules for eligibility (including continued eligibility) of any individual to enroll based on genetic information (or information about a request for or the receipt of genetic services by such individual or a family member of such individual) in relation to an individual or a dependent of such individual.
    Prohibits requesting or requiring predictive genetic information concerning an individual or a family member of the individual (including information about a request for or the receipt of genetic services by such individual or a family member of such individual), except as necessary for diagnosis, treatment, or payment…”
    The Vote:

Alphabetical by Republica Senator Name voting Yea

Chafee (R-RI), Yea
    Grassley (R-IA), Yea
    McCain (R-AZ), Yea

The rest of the Republicans either voted against the Bill or they did not vote. Almost every Democrat voted for the Bill.

August 12, 2009 at 6:03 am |
  5. Daren

Yes I feel Affordable Health Care is wonderful. However, a major Question Americans need to ask them selves is, How will we afford to pay all these doctors with the large amount population we have in the United States? And will doctors be willing to take a pay loss after all the work they have put into their careers? And would Private healthcare provide you with better doctors?... Taxes are going up, Welcome to America.

August 12, 2009 at 5:19 am |
  6. Cindy

I HAVE researched the facts like quite a few others. The Health Care bill has a LOT sandwiched in the middle that goes WELL beyond the scope of what government should. Just Google Liberty Counsel Summary of HR 3200 and THEN look at the bill HR 3200 in it's entirety, also go to youtube and search for 20 20 Stossel Health Care 073109.

Don't be like congress and not research or read the bill and then get pissed off when people who HAVE read the bill are up in arms about what's in it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read it (ATLEAST cross reference what you read in the summary with the full bill) and THEN decide whether or not you feel comfortable with what is on the table. It's not about liberals and conservatives any longer...united we stand divided we fall.

August 12, 2009 at 3:48 am |
  7. Vicki Songer

I am on SSDI and all these people shouting about how the gov. is taking it away is hogwash. If they would take the cotton out of their ears and put it in their mouth they may learn something. Pres. Obama has my full support and always will. I voted for him for a reason. I am NOT a fairweather American.

August 12, 2009 at 3:15 am |
  8. B. Paul Welch

It is amazing that your program guests find public decent so repugnant over the health care package. Especially disturbing is the attitude of the President of the United States who only allows quiet lap dogs into his town hall meeting where disagreement is tantamount to an assault upon the person of the President defended by armed guards – only assenting democrats allowed in here. He wants it only his way. I guess he represents only his half of the American populous, whatever half that may be. It certainly is not me.

I know I can not now buy health care at less than 45% of my net income and the government now wants that money as a tax. The current system is no better with lawyers and health providers unwilling to take deflated values for their services at a critical time of declining prices in everything else as millions lose their jobs and the treasury funds cash only to the wealthy and banks hoard their booty.

The government now stands in the middle of the dance between doctors and lawyers with their hand in the taxpayers pockets smiling while whispering mesmerizing assurances that "I'm from the government – I'm here to help you!". Is it a wonder that no reasonable person believes any of them?

How many $500,000 per year doctors are losing there jobs today such as those devastated by "free trade" in Cleveland. We have crooked bankers and automakers holding the country hostage for billions and now equally crooked politicians want to tax us 50% of our meager income so that they can spend more for the crooks who run the failing overpriced health care system. Is the health system too big to fail? I think it should be left to fail just like they left Lehman Brothers to fail. No one misses Lehman.

Even though I can not buy health care for my family as I am unable to pay 45% of my income, in this environment, I should like the option to take my chances and not be mandated to participate in a complete fraud. Am I wrong for not wanting to cavort with criminals like those who run the crooked insurance companies? Is it ill advised to avoid the duplicitous doctors who pay anything they are asked without protest to the equally criminal drug companies as they both chuckle to themselves all the way to the bank? And, as we know, the lawyers are their to save the day by suing them all, just for us! What a heroic crowd! Keep me away from them all! God help America with this group stalking the taxpayer's coffers.

How many of those legislators who march to the beat the President's drum have read and analyzed each and every page of this massive health care reform bill? I tell you not one has. They vote wherever the contributors point like the gutless lap dogs they are.

I ask the government to do their legitimate job and arrest the crooks at the top of big banks and insurance firms and send the clear and unmistakable message that this ongoing corruption is not acceptable and leave health care to its own devices.

If doctors want a single pay system or other corrupt system(all of them), let the complaining doctors pay the bill with 50% taxes on their overblown incomes, not mine. If legislators want to do anything, have them legislate methods of breaking up the system's "death dance" between the powerful doctors and the voracious lawyers by instating common sense tort reform and then stepping away. If they want everyone to have insurance, mandate level premiums and no discrimination. That cost the taxpayers nothing and forwards the cause one more step without another tax. It will be cocked up, but the change will seek its own resolve then.

It is not "Health Insurance" at all as risk can not be distributed: it is no less than free services for anyone who wants them – a socialist system by definition. The American people know it. That is why they are angry.

America can not pay the bill, and our foreign enemies love it. Let's send our overseas friends a few trillion more to celebrate their victory over our giving up our sovereignty to rapacious consumption on the back of an already overloaded government bond market the taxpayers need to foot the bill for in numbers so large as to defy verbal expression.

Three cheers for the Obama Health Plan! One Trillion! Two Trillion! Three Trillion!

I urge the Congress to do the right thing and send this bill packing to an already socialist country like England where my father-in law died last year due to five years of neglect with Alzhiemers because of rationing through endless panels of review doctors who would not agree on the diagnosis -until he died and then the diagnosis was then confirmed. He then qualified for care. I would not wish this on anyone else. This is not a scare tactic, it really happened to my family.

Given the options, I'll take my chances on no system at all before I would have my representative vote for this thousand pages of insipid tripe.

This opinion will never be aired on CNN, but I thought I would offer it anyway.

August 12, 2009 at 2:53 am |
  9. Patty Anne Morin

I have been watching the discussion on health care. I have seen the commercials for and against and I have seen the town hall meetings as well as the commentators railing against the idea. This is amazing and in my opinion, not in a good way. Exaggeration and innuendo seems to be the popular sport at the moment.

We, north of the border, have universal health care.. And yes we pay higher taxes to have that system. However, if one can't afford to pay the higher taxes, one would still get the same level of care.

Yes there are problems, but aren't there troublesome incidents with your health insurance? (if you have it that is) But we at least are trying to improve the system at all times and yes we treat our seniors not kill them or refuse medical care because they are over 60. Apparently as seen this evening, some people believe this would happen.

The main thing is that all of us are covered. No-one goes without. We pick our own doctors and hospitals. I go to the specialist I want to go to and am not forced to go to a certain one. My children when they were young all had problems, operations etc. The most I every paid was for parking at the hospital. Yes I may have to wait for access to a specialist but if it is not life threatening the wait, while annoying will not kill me.

I do not understand why you are so afraid of government services. Isn't the Government there for the betterment of the people? And why would you choose to allow any of your fellow citizens to go without proper care.

Imagine! The richest country and the most powerful country in the world and you are among the worst in providing health care to your people. Your infant mortality rate is one of the highest in the industrialized world.

I would suggest that you should be more afraid of NOT having health care for everyone. In the end the lack of affects everyone. Why don't
    you all contribute to making your system the best in the world and an example to the rest of us.

August 12, 2009 at 2:38 am |
  10. Natavia

I agree that government can't run everything but look around. Insurance companies have become big business here in the United States. Who owns these companies and how much of your interest have been taken into consideration. The more your able to pay the better the coverage. What if you cant pay? No coverage. Obama did a great job explaining important details about the bill. Maybe the crowd was Obama struck, but he covered everything so well that the only thing one could have done was yell and scream like idiots. We all know you cant resolve an issue without communication. I believe all the politicians should be shown the same respect as they show. We are adults act like it! Is this the way we conduct business. Do we really want to accept this kind of behavior in town hall meetings. Hello lead by example. The older generation should be ashame for caring on in such a way. The town hall fighting should stop. No one want to see anyone yelling at granny. No one wants to see granny yelling as well.

August 12, 2009 at 2:27 am |
  11. Horace

National Health Care would be good for people who can't afford it, but and I repeat but will it pay for abortions? Making it easier for mad stem cell scientists to take embryos or conceived babies. Iam against abortion. Will they pull the plug on your ill or terminally ill love ones ? Before my late wife passed, social workers ( government workers ) came in my home trying to force my wife into a health facility over my will. They even tried to push and favored the will of my daughters over mine. They tried several times and several times I said no. They came to my home and hospital,refusing to give up. I was married to my wife 31 years,I knew my wife and her wishes,repect my decision ! We knew each others likes and dislikes by looking at eachother,how did you ( social workers) know her better than I ? I see National Health Care as a way for the government to take over the decisions of your love ones over you.Many of the actions of the Social Workers (government workers) are proof of this. I need heathcare insurance now because I lost my job unfairly from my employer but I think American need to think about the lost of their ability to make decisions concerning their ill or terminally ill love ones.

August 12, 2009 at 2:06 am |
  12. Ryan Minnesota

The Bill as it stands is very unspecific RIGHT NOW, who will later put in some more specifics? ? .....ALL The companys that will eventually want to save money? AT THE COST OF WHOM?

August 12, 2009 at 1:54 am |
  13. J.V.Hodgson

Problems
    1) In this blog so far too much emotion and not enough fact from Bloggers.
    2) Too many "scare tactics" and "wild misrepresentations" from both sides.
    There is not actually a definitive bill yet, just vested interests ads, and riotus behaviour from some which is not debate but emotion and is not always correct, and you guys print and publish the outlandish/extreme like Palins Death panel comments. Shame on you all media.
    That comment has been totally de-bunked in many sources!
    3) PWC "massive health care waste". well done this key there are huge savings out there and that is one area where the various proposed bills are lacking in attention.This is the route to health care reform but watch Big Pharma, Hospitals, pharmacists, Medical instrument suppliers rack up the against ads and even more distortions. Show me single one of thise categories that is basically poor!?
    Good, I hope Sanjay debunks some of the Town hall comments or justifies them on the criteria of legal, honest, decent and truthful.
    Enough of MJ!! please.
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

August 12, 2009 at 1:49 am |
  14. Dr. Cyndy

This mob like mentality at the town hall meetings are simply fueled by hate for President Obama and our right bigotry. The woman's comment that we return thiscountry to what our founding fathers wanted it to be – seems rather hypocritical when one of the tenets of our founding father's was the question of slavery? What was she suggesting the impossibility of having a president like President Obama? Since he would have not been able under their rules to be considered a citizen with guranteed constitutional rights or was she just being loud and ignorant? I think the later.

These meeting are open season for a public forum to bash the President – it's ugly, it's not patriotic and its reflective of all the hate seen for generations in this country. These people are not that upset about the proposed health care reforms – they're upset because candidate Obama was elected as President Obama by a populace that they will never understand. Because the majority of us voted with our minds not our eyes. Gives these sore losers the boot! Stop the townhall meetings and let's discuss this issue with public hearings across this country with a balanced time and speakers pro or con.

August 12, 2009 at 1:47 am |
  15. Dan

Anthony – so you are on expert on the health care reform? have you read the 1000 pages?

I voted for President Obama and am really sad that I did. I wanted change but not like what he is forcing down our throats.

There have been so many bad decisions made already – he is worse than Bush!!! Bailout of AIG and other loser companies – then letting the execs take home their huge million dollar bonuses, cash for clunkers, socialized health care, stimulus plans that will haunt our kids for years. It's sad that we can't get decent politicians? I'm for what Louie wrote – how do we get rid of all the incumbents are start over?

August 12, 2009 at 1:44 am |
  16. Christian

Although the "death panels" comments were just scare tactics, I must say that having an elected official who is accountable make decisions about my health is less "scary" than it would be to have an insurance agency make those decisions, AS THEY CURRENTLY DO, based on profitability. Again, I don't advocate giving elected representatives this ability but stripping this power from insurance companies should be another reason to see this as an opportunity for reform and not antics.

Christian
    San Jose

August 12, 2009 at 1:43 am |
  17. Daryl Cash jr

it is amazing the opposition to a goveernment run health care but it still an option and the only thing it is competeing with is the private sector and people can still seek insurance else where if they so choose. To see things like this astounds me, to see the lack of people not researching the facts, why do you think that this adminstration posts things like this online just like with the stimulus package.

August 12, 2009 at 1:37 am |
  18. Elisa Bellanca

I hope people who states to be against this reform can actually look around and see what the current health care has done so far. There are people, a lot of people that have their treatments denied only because insurance companies don't want to "waste" money on chances of curing somebody. We have to understand that companies as insurance industries work for PROFITS not for the health of their policy holders. They will choose the best option for their interest and so far this is been widely proven. Furthermore what have these protesters to complaint about? They will have the choice to maintain their plans and insurance companies and doctors, simply the cost of it will be controlled so it does not rise extremely high and so everybody who wants it can afford it.. Where is the big scary thing in that? I am so proud that finally a US president decided to focus so deeply on the huge issues of its own country, compared to the previous president that all he cared to do was sneak his nose in business outside his 'house". I am European and I am so lucky to be born there, where I don't have any worries about getting treated. Does the health care suck in Europe? Well to those who answered yes I advise them to take a trip to Germany or France or England and see with their eyes. Look at statistics, look at how better people there live there compared to here. Does it mean we are deprived of our rights and freedom or we are simply socialized or communists? No I am sorry, we are not. We are free to do our own decisions over our health. Isn't that the best of freedom? We don't have to ask prior permission to our insurance company when we go to the hospital or we go to see a specialist. When somebody walks in the emergency room the doctor first priority is to cure the person, not to check if he's covered by insurance. Doesn't that give a big peace of mind? Even though this whole debate doesn't directly apply to me, I truly hope the Americans people can WAKE UP and be ready to change what's wrong in this country, make it a better place for them self and their children. I hope that all of you can reach the peace of mind that many Europeans have over this issue. I believe everybody deserves it.

August 12, 2009 at 1:32 am |
  19. Adrianne

Why isn't anyone talking about (or better yet, outraged) about the millions of people in our country who have NO insurance, and consequently get NO medical treatment because they can't affort it or have pre-existing conditions that preclude getting insured??? Are we so callous that we believe medical treatment is not a basic human right? What is particularly disturbing is that many of the uninsured and untreated are middle class, working individuals, some self-employed, making significant contributions to society, yet do not have access to affordable insurance or treatment.

August 12, 2009 at 1:25 am |
  20. Camy

Well most of these oppositions are not on health care reforms, but was on the person who proposed it!! Where were these people when my tax money was being spent on iraq war?? I am sure if our founders were alive, they would never let america to meddle with internal matters of a foreign country, definitely not on the cost of our soldiers . This only goes to show that there are bunch of ignorant people who do not want access to truth, Sarah palin and Fox are the major threats to the society, they in anyway do not contribute to the wellness of this Great Nations.

August 12, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  21. James A. Harrington

Comments sent to Pres Obama tonight:
    To Pres. Obama 11 Aug 2009

Re health Care debate:
    1. Already the Fed Govt underpays in Medicare and Medicaid to the providers resulting in higher charges to others, insured and the non insured. So how does saying that we will pay less to M/care/aid mean any real sayings.
    2. You have many young docs (like my daughter) who have huge school debts. So how will Govt control of rates allow them to ever payback the loans? And not discourage many from getting into the profession?
    3. Why have you ruled out any medical tort reform. Why is it "off the table"?
    4. Why wouldn't you support the cross state lines insurance proposals? Wouldn't that create more competition?
    5. If competition is what you want, why isn't over 1000 insurance companies enough?
    6. Your comments about "the drug companies" seem derisive. If you cut their income don't you cut their R & D and then we as the US become no longer the leader in drug development.
    7. You implied today that the " donut-hole" will go away in the Medicare drug program. How much will that cost? Is that true?
    8. If the prescription drug program costs us $60 Billion/$65 Billion per year now, why would we expect the "total" cost of this full health care / medical program to be only $80B / 100B per year?
    9. Why does a "health care program to cover all" cover as you said only 35million of the stated 48 million “non-covered”?
    10. What is the real breakdown of the non covered (48 mil above); i.e. how many can't afford, how many choose not to insure, how many we just don't know statistically how to count so we add them to reach 48mil. 10 years ago it was in the 35 mil range.
    11. Who exactly would be covered?
    12. As a small businessman, why would I choose to supply health care if the Gov't is offering it? Therefore the Gov't will drive the insurance companies out of the biz.

I watched 45 min. of your town-hall meeting today on CSPAN tonight. You did a masterfull job. I still have the questions above and I'm sure more.

Yes I expect a response and you can quote me.

James A. Harrington

August 12, 2009 at 1:20 am |
  22. Mark

I have been watching and listening to my fellow Americans....I feel they are forgetting about the people that cannot afford health care. Like the people that work in a fast food area,or retail. With the wage at 7.25 per hour..how can they afford health care? Remember they are the majority, in this country. So what to do? This is a time for us to be a country for each one of our citizens. We are all not 7.25 per hour workers, but a majority of us are..

August 12, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  23. Julie

Access to health care should be a right for every American. Insurance companies are making enormous profits while simultaneously denying Americans the health care they have paid for.

I have a friend who had a cancerous lump removed from her breast. She found another lump but her HMO denied her a followup CT scan saying it was not necessary. She has family in a foreign country where services are cheaper so she traveled to have the CT done there, paying out of her own pocket. She brought the information back to her HMO doctor to interpret, but once again, they tried to deny her. To make a long story short, because she herself is a physician, she raised holy hell until the HMO finally agreed to have the results of the scan interpreted.

If HMO's think they can deny care to patients who are physicians, what chance do ordinary citizens have to get the health care they need?

America, listen up. We NEED a government sponsored health care system because then there will finally be some ACCOUNTABILITY.

August 12, 2009 at 1:16 am |