AC360 Tuesday 8p

Ferry crew members answered questions about why more life rafts were not deployed. Tonight on AC360, the latest from South Korea on the effort to reach victims.
July 27th, 2009

Michael Jackson's hair to be turned into diamonds

Michael Jackson's hair, and the jacket used to extinguish the fire on his head during the 1984 Pepsi commercial fire.

Sean Michaels
Guardian

Those who seek a tasteful, restrained tribute to Michael Jackson may soon have an alternative – diamonds made from the singer's charred hair. A company called LifeGem has announced plans to make jewelery from Jackson's seared locks, recovered at the scene of a Pepsi commercial where the King of Pop's head caught fire.

"Our plan is to give people an opportunity to own a diamond made from Michael Jackson's DNA," Dean VandenBiesen, founder of LifeGem, announced.

But LifeGem's tissue sample hasn't come directly from the Jackson family, rather the source of the company's DNA was collected at the 1984 commercial shoot where Jackson was severely injured by faulty pyrotechnics. Executive producer Ralph Cohen used his Armani jacket to extinguish Jackson's burning head – and then saved the charred hair that fell to the floor.

Read more...

Filed under: 360° Radar • Michael Jackson
  1. Melissa

Creepy.

July 28, 2009 at 9:42 am |
  2. Jeni

If this is true, it's just foul. There's a special place in hell for that guy who saved the hair...and the person who buys it!

July 28, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  3. Joanne R. Pacicca

The news media reported that he was bald. Good luck.

July 28, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  4. Sandy McIntyre

I hope if this story is investigated on Snopes.com it turns out to be a hoax. I have a feeling that NO ONE could be this lame!

July 28, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  5. Linda

I'm not surprised at this, although I AM appalled at the lengths people go to in this world to make a buck. People WILL buy it, and we should be more disgusted at them.

July 28, 2009 at 6:15 am |
  6. Madiha (MJ fan)

I am also huge fan of MJ but this idea is insane! And this point is seriously to be noted...why would anyone save MJ's hair for all these years and didn't say anything until his death?
    I would never go on buying the diamond made of MJ's hair. According to me, that would really hurt MJ's soul.

July 28, 2009 at 5:56 am |
  7. Sheletta

Unbeleivable....... Why would someone want to turn Michael Hair into Diamonds? I thought the media said he was Bald? Besides, how can you turned hair into diamonds? Please

July 28, 2009 at 4:34 am |
  8. Chantal

Only in America folks! What people think up to make money! Lord have Mercy!

July 27, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  9. Tammie

Now I think these people are going a little too far!!! How about they let the King of Pop rest in peace????

July 27, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  10. Liz Whitney

This is sick & twisted... worse than eBay... worse than a low budget horror film. I hope the Jacksons sue their asses off. I'm sorry but this is an outrage. What kind of people think this stuff up? Not even Hollywood.

July 27, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  11. Carina

Poor mans death. Now that is a little ridiculous (other than the article itself) the man had lots of money. And why are we necessarily paying so much attention to this celebrity... People all over the world are dying for no reason at all. All I am saying is we have BIGGER things to worry about than this entertainers death.

July 27, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  12. Manuel Fontes, MD

Anderson,

enjoy your reports......as an anesthesiologist, i can tell you that use of propofol requires more than just an MD title- one needs to be experienced with the agent and, more importantly, know how to provide effective resuscitation and have expertise in airway management-
    a cardiologist administering propofol at home is clearly malpractice. Regardless of other agents he may have taken, ultimately, the cardiologist- the one MD present (inexperienced and has no training in the area of anesthesiology)- highlights how dangerous propofol is and that in the wrong hands it does exactly that- kill people.

M Fontes

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  13. Anna Jo

I can't even afford fake diamonds right now though.

July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  14. Anna Jo

If I had money and it was at a reasonable price – I'd buy it. I have a feeling it won't be a reasonable price.

July 27, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  15. william- texas

this is redeclious

July 27, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  16. Kevin Fortin

So what will it take for Anderson Cooper or CNN to say "F*ck this infotainment crap, this is not news"?

July 27, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  17. Smey

Why do people keep making money over Michael death? Do you have any morality in you? Or you need to go back to school and take philosophy class? With the rehearsal videos and his both released and unreleased musics, you can tremendous money out of them, and I'm sure all fans would be more than happy to buys MJ's new cds/videos. This is a truely sad story ):

July 27, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Eve

I take exception to Annie Kate's remark – pigs are intelligent animals. If a pig had seen that hair back in 1984 it would have either eaten it then or rooted it around and then left it. Only a human would be stupid enough to hang onto it with the assumption that someday it could be sold as a diamond. This is so ludicrous!

July 27, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Katie

This is exacty the thing that I and part of the world were dreading. Trying to make money after michael dies. How can the man rest in peace when people are performing ridiculous experiments and attaching his name to it? Next thing you know they will be trying to clone him. I'm only 20 but this breaks my heart

July 27, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  20. tracy d.

This is ridiculous. Why are people treating the late MJ like he was God. Its not only gross but disrespectful if anything.

July 27, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  21. riza

for me if they're going to give the proceeds to mj's children. . .why not. .i just think that whoever buys it is not in their right senses.. .weird.

July 27, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  22. anonymous

leave the dead guy alone! they've already made too much profit. at this point, i'm just really glad he's dead. people will just continue using him. so, what other parts of his body will be used for profit? his teeth?

July 27, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  23. Larry

I've heard of widows having that done to their cremated husband's ashes and wear the gemstone in a ring setting.
    Don't believe me? Google:

'widow wears ring with gem from husband's cremated ashes'

July 27, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  24. Vanessa A Johnson

The love of money is the root of all evil!

July 27, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Sabrina in Las Vegas

Yuck. I am not fanatical about anything or anyone enough for suck a thing.

I think society should focus on GOD not material people or things as idols.

July 27, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  26. Barbara

What next. Instead of spending the money on this ridiculousness, give money to a children's charity in his memory.

July 27, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Melanie

They can't be serious!!! Now I have heard it all, let the man alone and focus on the things that really matter in this case, like finding out what and whom may have caused his death.

July 27, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  28. Michelle

I think the real question is, why are diamonds so rare if we can make them out of hair???

July 27, 2009 at 9:59 pm |
  29. jen

Just an example of what Michael had to deal with all his life – no wonder he turned into a recluse, and eventually to painkillers. Everyone wants a piece of him–even in death. The more you learn about the man, you realize what a strong person he must've been – and so courageous, yet remained sweet and sensitive. Love you forever Michael.

July 27, 2009 at 9:47 pm |
  30. Ashley H, Canada

They can do that?

Hair, into diamonds? Wow.

July 27, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  31. debinaz

this just cant be serious...has insanity truely set in? i hope there isnt anyone that would buy this

July 27, 2009 at 8:59 pm |
  32. nicole

seriously??? the people who r even thinking this must be really stupid. the guy was not perfect and who on earth is..i liked some of his songs but his hair into diamonds..if i had the $$$ i'd put it to more useful things.
    mankind is surely dumb

July 27, 2009 at 8:58 pm |
  33. Hope Taylor

Seriously...I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan but geeze why would anyone save his burned hair and then keep it for 25 years! C'mon that's crazy! What's even crazier is that there will actually be people that will spend a ton of money on something like this! This is awful and whoever came up with the idea should seriously be committed.

July 27, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  34. J. Timber

This is absolutely rediculous. First of keeping the hair but now this. Where has the humanity gone.

July 27, 2009 at 8:55 pm |
  35. Quan

This is completely crazy. Why did this guy keep the hair anyway? Crazy how everyone is trying to capatilize off Michaels death.

July 27, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  36. Jeanne

Occasionally we ask ourselves...what will they think of next? This just proves the fact that we probably don't want to know the answer to that question.

July 27, 2009 at 8:50 pm |
  37. Amina

Whi would seriously do that to someones hair?

July 27, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  38. Bronte Hughes

that's just really weird and creepy and tacky...

July 27, 2009 at 8:48 pm |
  39. sharon, sydney, ns

I really hope this is one of those news stories that turns out to be a hoax. It's just about the saddest thing I have ever heard.

July 27, 2009 at 8:44 pm |
  40. Kristen, MD

Umm....this is gross

July 27, 2009 at 8:30 pm |
  41. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

Ok! Why would Mr. Cohen save the hair in the first place? That in itself is very disturbing.

July 27, 2009 at 8:26 pm |
  42. Barbara in Culver City, CA

That's just weird and a little bit disgusting.

July 27, 2009 at 8:21 pm |
  43. Jennifer- CA

Seriously? I hope no one stoops low enough to actually buy this..

July 27, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  44. Annie Kate

This is tasteful and refined? To who? Pigs?

July 27, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  45. Cindy

OMG..now I think I've heard it all! This is just ridiculous!! Who else is going to now prosper off of this poor man's death!? Jesus!!

Cindy..Ga.