July 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/22/09

Tonight we'll have all the angles on Pres. Obama's news conference. Will his health care plan not boost the deficit as he insists? We're keeping them honest. And, we have the raw politics on the showdown that's expected on Capitol Hill over the bill that's in the works. We have what it means for you and your family.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Laurie, Northern California

I thought the press conference was good tonight. It gave me hope that maybe something will be done to help us.

I am single, self-employed and have very little options for health care.
    I have a Health Insurance plan that has been good up to now but in August they are going to almost double my policy. It's going to go from $262.26 with no deductible up to $450 a month with a $1600 deductible in August. I haven't increased my business that much but am stuck with it because most insurance companies do not have individual policies. I got grandfathered in to the policy I am in after I left my prior government job. I might as well not have health insurance because luckily I haven't spent $1600 in a year.

I definitely hope that there is a government option and that Congress and the Senate take us middle class people into account. We should have just as good a policy as the Congress/Senate have since we are paying for their insurance.

July 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Kristen, MD

Good night folks

July 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  3. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Goodnight everyone.Peace to all of you and yours.

July 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  4. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Oh noooo Gidget is dead :(

July 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  5. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Yo kieto no more...sad.

July 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  6. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

As one who was shy growing up, I think it was great that Jonathon got picked to go to S. Africa. It is amazing how the kid has changed. Great job Malaak!

July 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm |
  7. Bill

On health care:
    Why doesn't anyone talk about the medical loss ratio, and how the insurance companies want to make money by keeping their percentages at 85% of collected premiums? These companies want to be an investment grade stock for wall street. They are not concerned with health – just money!

July 22, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  8. Gail

Hi, Just want to say that in regard to the health reform issue, I don't believe they've touched on Veteran's hospitals and health care and how all this will affect them. A couple years ago from what I read and heard it took 6 months to a year for some of them to get an appointment and if this is any indication of what can be expected for a government reform bill, it's pretty scary. Thank you, Gail, Clearwater, FL

July 22, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  9. starr formerly known as vincent

The hour passed very quickly tonight. Thank you and good night Anderson, Erica & Team 360. Another great show!

Good night fellow bloggers, great chat on many things.

Sorry that the Taco Bell dog expired.

July 22, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  10. Valerie

I really enjoyed Black in America 2. I was really disturbed by the arrest of the professor. I am the mother of 3 african american males. It reminds me of their experiences.

July 22, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good night! Enjoy your night!

July 22, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  12. audrey

Re. Black in America-wow what an amazing show! Soledad should be nominated for an Emmy or Oscar–whatever award would be appropriate

July 22, 2009 at 11:58 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, David G, Ed Henry and my friend twitter/facebook bloggers!!!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! :D
    See you tomorrow night!!!!
    Day of the shot with Korea really fight on the war!!! OUCH! LOL!!!! Not good night I hear!!!!!! big oops! bad idea!!! LOL! great shot!

Anderson,
    You enjoy your vacation, and welcome back!
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! :D

July 22, 2009 at 11:57 pm |
  14. Kevin

I didn't get to watch Black in America 2 earlier. I am going to watch it after AC 360

July 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  15. Jennifer- CA

Hi Erica!

July 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  16. Michelle

Maybe Soledad can make this an ongoing series.
    Constantly bringing us these stories that people do
    not see anywhere else.

July 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  17. Kristen, MD

Enjoyed hearing Principal Perry's story. Very inspiring to see a black man giving back and being the role model so many young men need. Thanks Steve, keep up the great work :)

July 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  18. John O.

It is ironic that Washington is playing politics with health care reform that bothers on the well being of all Americans. The Lawmakers enjoyed free and better health care and so does not feel the pains of ordinary Americans.

It will be the turn of Americans to pay them back during mid-term election.

July 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  19. George G

Health care insurance is a fraud. Copays continue to go up. Coinsurance is on my Oxford Freedom Plan. I wind up paying 25 to 30% of my total costs, even when hospitalised. I am a single male non smoker; never smoked and I pay $460.00 monthly.

My friend is paying 1600 a month for a family plan and he works for UPS

July 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm |
  20. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

The program to take the kids to South Africa is truly amazing, and the woman who runs the program is absolutely phenomenal.

July 22, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  21. beth

I would vote 4 Pres.Obama again. I am white/ disabled and arrested at home. StFliecher. Lex, Kentucky.

July 22, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  22. Jennifer- CA

Yeah, did they even get ID from him? Obviously not... if he's breaking and entering into his own house!

July 22, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  23. LisaL - Canada

i really like Steve and Malaak's way of doing things - it is quite often just a different approach, or simply being patient with the little things, that make the biggest difference. it is very constructive - obviously it is making a difference.

July 22, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  24. Danielle

I was truely glued to the tv when Black in America 2 was on. Soledad did an exceptional job in displaying what we all need to do to encourage our children of the future.

July 22, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  25. Trina

I had the opportunity to watch Black in America2 and I was inspired by Malaak Compton-Rock, Mr. Rice (MLT program), Principal Perry. I loved the fact that they are motivated by giving back to young minds and future leaders.

July 22, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think Mr Perry and Mrs Compton-Rock are two very good role models for everyone. They both prove that wherever you came from you can do whatever you put your mind to.

July 22, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  27. Eunice-KY

Enjoyed Black In America 2. It is refreshing to see positive stories related to individuals of color and how they are making an impact on our younger generation. Mentoring, being a life-coach...This is all of our responsibility to do this. It is sad though that some parents do not take an interest, but it is understandable, when you consider that some parents have to work two -three jobs, or as indicated are incarcerated and they can not get out. The message that I hear is very clear....It takes a village!
    Great job!!

July 22, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  28. Lori, IL

I believe all children want boundries and want to feel as if they belong. I applaud all adults involved who hold these kids accountable and give them opportunities to be more than they ever dreamed of......

July 22, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  29. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I'm so happy about Jonathan's success this semester!He can lead by example....A great show,I loved it!

July 22, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  30. Bernice

Soledad, outstanding program. Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you! CNN thank you for the platform to produce great TV. This has been an awesome evening. I have been glued to CNN since 7 pm.

July 22, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  31. Gary

As a police officer in this country, we don't have the luxury to make assumptions when a burglary is reported, and we locate someone inside the property, that they must be the homeowner. Initially we assume the worst case scenerio. That's what keeps us alive at the end of the day. But, once it was determined that the person inside the residence (Mr. Gates) was the homeowner, the officers should have simply explained why they were called to the property and left the scene. Officers like this make my job that much harder.

July 22, 2009 at 11:54 pm |
  32. Michelle

Mr. Perry and Mrs. Rock have opened the eyes of these
    kids and that gives them hope and a realization that all
    things are possible.

July 22, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  33. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Steve Perry is truly inspiring! As is Malaak! I really wish I had been able to watch Black in America 2 tonight! Who doesn't need a little inspiration?

July 22, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  34. Sandra

AC I am glad you haven't had this happen to you, but black men not only have the police called on them, they also have the disrepectful behavior to deal with. I think if the police had of acted nicer we would be talking about this incident. They need to use their authority with compassion.

July 22, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  35. Vickie_AR

I'm a bit confused. Did the Officer ask Gates to step outside (in essence making it a public disturbance) before arresting him?

July 22, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  36. Kristen, MD

Survo, when will Part 1 air again?

July 22, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  37. Joseywales3

The President is on the right side of this issue, his compelling argument for healthcare for all american is legitimate. He has the best healthcare and he could be talking about other issues. But instead, he knows that reforming the healthcare system is key to the country being financially sound.

July 22, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  38. Gloria in Traverse City, MI

Listening to Soledad O'Brien discussing the Prof Gates incident with Anderson Cooper I was struck by something she said. Paraphrasing here..."There is an assumption about blacks in nice cars (neighborhoods, etc.) that 'you don't belong here! Prove who you are!'" Isn't that exactly what the "birthers" are doing to President Obama, demanding proof of his citizenship? They are implying that he doesn't belong in the White House, doesn't deserve to be president. "Prove who you are!"

July 22, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  39. Fred Saraiva

At what point is healthcare too expensive, when insurance costs 3,000 per month? 5,000 per month? Insurance companies, hospitals, drug companies, doctors, they all charge too much. Healthcare is a right not a commodity. There is no competition between insurance companies, they all charge about the same-too much. We need a public system, the private sector cannot be trusted on healthcare, they are raping us.

July 22, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  40. David, Indiana

On Michael Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray's office being raided, it is sad to think some sort of problem with medical care might have caused Michael Jackson's death. The doctor though is being investigated and is innocent until proven guilty.

July 22, 2009 at 11:52 pm |
  41. ericacnn

ACK! I realized I didn't blog yet, despite being logged in! Was reworking scripts. So good to have AC back, and always a treat to have Soledad in the studio. Hope you were able to see Black in America tonight – I know some of you have mentioned it already on the blog.

July 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  42. Mike, Syracuse, NY

We seem to be ignoring the fact that a break in DID occur, and that there had been several recently in the same neighborhood. Also, the police statement says that Gates initially refused to supply his ID. For all anyone knew, he was a burgler.

July 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  43. Suvro, AC360°

@Donna Orsborn I loved that Taco Bell dog too....

July 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  44. Jennifer- CA

Malaak and Principal Perry are both amazing people, we need more people like them who really care about our youth. Without positive role models, our future generations will be lost!

July 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  45. Sabrina In Las Vegas

That is good.

We have to get all children to succeed, THEY are are future.

The Native Americans have a statement that you will often hear about not owning the earth but borrowing it from our children, so children are our collective future and we need to support them.

July 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  46. Kat

Hello Anderson. Love you lots.

July 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  47. John O.

I have a co-worker whose mother just had a major surgery with a bill of $135,000. She said her mother is seeking government assistance in paying or will declare bankruptcy.

And a friend of mine had twins about two years ago and was confined to the hospital for two months with a bill of $2.0m plus. According to her, the county paid because she lost her job and her insurance just before she had the babies.

How far can we pretend we don't know these facts?

July 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  48. Amanda Walton Fort Erie, Ontario

Really enjoyed Soledad Moment of Truth, always love watching her. Always watched Soledad and Miles on American Morning when they hosted.

I have seen in my younger years when I had many black friends and would go to many clubs with them and Caribana in Toronto. I saw back then how especially black men were treated, especially because I'm Caucasian, and saw how police and even the general public reacted towards them and to me. This is going back over 20 years and things here have changed a bit, but I can relate to how many Black in America are misunderstood in so many ways. When will the world stop seeing everything in black and white, the world is such a wonderful colorful place to live but to many of the ignorant just can't see it

July 22, 2009 at 11:51 pm |
  49. Don Fisher

Didn't the officer state that the Professor was yelling at him and wouldn't calm down? In the photo you can see him yelling.

July 22, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  50. Tene

Professor Gates' experience is tragic, but not unique. The (un)justice system is no different than the experience black men and women face at work, in schools, everyday. How exciting that our President didn't shy away from the Gates situation. It's a new day folks! Wake-up!

July 22, 2009 at 11:50 pm |