July 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/22/09

Tonight we'll have all the angles on Pres. Obama's news conference. Will his health care plan not boost the deficit as he insists? We're keeping them honest. And, we have the raw politics on the showdown that's expected on Capitol Hill over the bill that's in the works. We have what it means for you and your family.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Not only is it alarming that the cop asked Professor Gates to walk outside just so he could arrest him. He handcuffed the man knowing that he had a handicap (or needed a cane for assistance to walk). It's not like this man was an escaped criminal....

July 22, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  2. Denyse Layne

I taught Black in America 2 was great, I work night and I took the day off just not to miss this. Excellent show and the Principal in CT was remarkable man.

July 22, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  3. Scott - Bloomington, IN

Principal Perry is the man. We need more people like him in this world, someone who actually gives a darn about our youth. Way to go Principal Perry and keep up the good work.

July 22, 2009 at 11:50 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I bet the neighbors knew it was him. One has got to be doing some wrong for the neighbors to get involve.

July 22, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  5. mike from tampa,fl

I am a retired deputy sheriff and I have seen first hand how white police officer treat african american men. Boy, i am glad i am retired, will it ever change.
    mike from tampa,fl

July 22, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  6. Suvro, AC360°

Tune in for the second part of "Black in America 2: Today's Pioneers" at an earlier time - 8 p-m eastern right here on CNN. Dont miss it...

July 22, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  7. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@starr, making a public disturbance IS against the law, and it's what he was arrested for, not sassing the police. Witnesses support the police story that Gates was shouting and verbally abusive in public (outside his home).

July 22, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  8. Don Fisher

Isn't that a black police officer escorting the Professor handcuffed out of his house?

July 22, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  9. Marie Logan

This conference by the president was only to issure us of his dedication in the push for healthcare reform. I hope he suceed. As a middle age woman, I need to know if I will be covered if a medical crisis arise. I heard many horrible stories. Lets get to work guys. It can only benefit us all, if we can just work together as a team, and take politics out of the mix. Think of the people. The people can only love you more come election time. So can I.

July 22, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  10. Michelle

Soledad's doc Black in America 2 is just amazing.
    I really loved the story-telling and editing.

July 22, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  11. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I missed Black in America 2 as well this evening...is it going to be re-aired at some point?

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  12. betsy

Cooper you are the first i have seen/heard to ask exact questions. Yet, as a police officer id would have asked for id and ask him to step out

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  13. Marvin Zapf

@Mike, Pres Obama stated that 2/3 of the costs will be covered by revenue already coming in, and the last 1/3 will come partly from the raised taxes on high income families. Had you watched the press conference, you would know this. If you did watch, but still disagree, you must have a high income, meaning you make one million dollars a year or more.

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  14. Annah

I listened to the President's press conference tonight. I was favorable impressed by the information shared. I don't understand why there is such an emphasis on judging the Obama presidency the efficacy of the President in 6 short months. Why such an emphasis on dropping ratings and people losing faith? Is it possible that we're guilty of the fostering the self-fulfilling prophecy when it comes to this administration?

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  15. Valerie-Anne Joseph, Montreal,Canada

I just wanted to add this one comment regarding Professor Gate's arrest. If he had to be escorted out of his house for disturbing the peace because isn't that considered entrapment? I may be off base here and if so, you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  16. Scott - Bloomington, IN

@Diane in NE-It looks like we have the same plan and it stinks. A public health plan may save us some money, but we will wait 6 months to be seen for basic treatment (look at the complaints coming from the VA). Do you really want a government bureaucrat making decisions about if you get the treatment you need. What if they decide you are too old, or not healthy enough to spend the money on. This is exactly where a single payor leads. Sure it is cost effective, but those who have it go elsewhere to receive quality, timely treatment if they can afford it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  17. fred mariscal

Do we really believe nothing out of pocket will come of this. The gov't never gives a true cost of anything. We could in all liklihood double the cost. It was not that long ago I was complaining about my job, my pay, my lack of health coverage for me and my family. Than somebody told something that has made sense "if you do not like your situation do something about it"

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  18. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

The taco bell dog died, I loved that dog, now I'm depressed.

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  19. James In Kamiah, Idaho

No offense menat by the way

July 22, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  20. Jennifer- CA

I love that you're still broadcasting live at 8:44pm (well in PT)! I don't usually get to see the live show because of work. 😦

You guys are probably pretty tired though.. afterall, it is almost midnight there...

July 22, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  21. Michelle, CA

No! Not the "you quiero taco bell" dog. ):

July 22, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  22. Jairo

My concern is there is more worries about defecit and budget. How does that affect common America? Insurance companies are making record profits and doctors fees are being reduced as their costs go up. Healthcare is an industry as well. How many jobs will be impacted if government tries to stop its growth and job creation?

July 22, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  23. Anthony

Well the cop my not apologize but the department sure should how could you be arrested for disorderly conduct in your on home.

July 22, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  24. Kathy

I was wondering two things: Who took the photo as the Professor was lead out of his house? What was the reaction of the African American police officer on the scene?

July 22, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  25. amaya

i know i'm gonna get some hate, but we do have the money raise taxes and make the doctors payrolls a set income like in england. the doctors are like high paid goverment officials.

July 22, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  26. Lori

Black in America 2 was really good. Thanks.

July 22, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  27. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Isn't there always two sides to every story? The only people that will know what really happened to Professor Gates are him and the officer. I do think that the officer does owe Professor Gates and apology!

July 22, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  28. Anthony

This is concerning Obama's health care bill. There is so much wrong with this, but I will try and focus on the major flaws. 1) The health care industry is about 20% of our ecomony. The government has a 0% success rate at running things and you want them to get involved in health care? 2) When has the government been right about what a program will cost? Never...always cost 2 to 3 times more. 3) Why are we burning down the house to fix a leaking roof? We have about 253 million people with health care insurance and 47 million without. Can we focus on the opportunities to improve and not overhaul? I can go on...

July 22, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  29. Aubrianne

I enjoyed Black In America 2, as well as President Obama's speech. He is doing an excellent job of discussing our country's health care.

July 22, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  30. Barbara in Boston

I know the neighborhood where Dr. Gates was arrested. It's one of the nicest neighborhoods in Cambridge.

Now, if he had been an elderly white man, instead of an elderly black man (and he walks with a cane), who had trouble getting inside his own home, he never would have been arrested, even if he was tired and rude.

I'm completely convinced this is racial profiling.

July 22, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  31. Yvonne Kincade

Attended an ihealth nsurance meeting of a b-i-g company today. Standard premiums went from $547 to $570 monthly. You must pay ,out of pocket ,$500, for major surgery first. Doctors ,prescriptions etc. are copaysof $20 dollars. If you need diagnostic testing, that's your out of pocket expense. And people are saying health care reform is too high? While the game with health insurance reform is being played out, the big companies are literallly drowning us.

Check it out.!!

July 22, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  32. Michelle

Boy no wonder the charges were dropped.
    If he had to get him to leave his own home
    to make an arrest that just does not make
    any sense at all.

July 22, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  33. Kristen, MD

Soledad, enjoyed hearing your thoughts.

AC yall should have her on more often.

July 22, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  34. dana

I'm shocked. The President, a politician, did not sugar coat this Cambridge mess. These policeman reacted stupidly. If a policeman responds to a miscreant inside a home, and the person turns out to be the resident (YOU!), there should not be a problem.

July 22, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  35. Winston Jay

Sorry I meant to say "Canadian ".

July 22, 2009 at 11:43 pm |
  36. James In Kamiah, Idaho

So, are the officers who answered the call guilty of racial profiling or is the person who made the call guilty of it?

And to correct the good professor... ALL people, no matter their race or status, are susceptible to the whims of rogue officers... I being one of them. He at least cna be thankful he was not beatn, peppersprayed twice, in the back seat of a two door honda civic, and then hog tied for trying to get the pepperspray out of his eyes... like I was. All because I wanted to do, essentially, the same thing the good professor did.

Meaning prove my innocence by taking an objjective alcohol test that the officer denied me...

by the way... I'm white.

July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  37. Lucie

Americans should not let this opportuity pass for a national healthcare plan. having lived in canada as a landed immigrant and being the recipient of Ontario health insurance , i know the value of a national health plan . Does it mean higher taxes ? of course it does. canadiens pay a lot more taxes but they enjoy the security of every person being included in a health plan, my canadian friends all are very happy with the care they receive and feel fortunate to have national insurance. don't be fooled by those ads from a canadian, trashing the national healthcare system in canada . she's a bad actor in every way, and probably not a canadian. we elected our president to ' fix' our healthcare system. get behind his efforts and help get the jpb done. every person who is against a national healcare system is someone who has health insurance . 'nuff said.

July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  38. Alishia Beckley, WV

Of course I would want someone to call the cops, but the cops should had asked for some identification. Would this situation be different if this was a Caucasian man?Hmmmm.

July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  39. Rob

As a Canadian I do not claim that the Canadian health care system is perfect, but it achieves equality, and were not all men created equal? The Canadian system treats rich and poor, employed and unemployed equally. 100% of Canadians have taxpayer payed health care and do not have to risk bankruptcy to be treated. Our system costs less than a third what Americans pay per capita for insurance. Our occasional access difficulties would disappear if right-wing politicians wouldn't make cuts to our health care services and instead raise the taxes to half what Americans pay. If that were to happen we would have rare complaints about our system.

This spring my rural doctor was able to schedule three diagnostic non-emergency procedures for me. A CAT scan of my brain, an ultrasound of my adrenal gland, and a CAT scan of my adrenal gland all within six weeks. The cost to me, not considering the taxes I pay, was zero. He suspected an adrenal gland tumor as the cause of my sudden increase of blood pressure. No tumor was found. He was checking my brain for causes of my migraines.

July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  40. Anthony

Glad to see a president not afraid to talk fluently about race. I don't think all white or black people are racist but RACISM STILL EXISTS LET TALK ABOUT IT PPL.

July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  41. Jennifer- CA

Back to healthcare reform, people should start thinking less about whats coming out of their pocket and start thinking more about what will benefit their fellow U.S. citizens. As long as healthcare is equal for everyone it will achieve the desired results and the benefits will outweigh the inadequacies we currently face. We need to cut down on the redtape and rigmarole and I think Obama has the vision to acheive that.

July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  42. starr formerly known as vincent

RE: Professor Gates – this story remains outrageous. The police should have aplogized and let the man alone. He proved he was in his own house.

And, as many bloggers pointed out last night, sassing a police officer is NOT against the law.

July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  43. Sabrina In Las Vegas

I think calling the cops was a good thing but once he showed who he was, that should have been enough.

July 22, 2009 at 11:42 pm |
  44. Heather - Spokane, WA

I am confused by this story of the professor because I have now heard four different stories as to how this came about. Which is the right story?

July 22, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wild, they got him on camera. How did that happen?

July 22, 2009 at 11:41 pm |
  46. desiree

The medical insurance is a great IDEA. The concerns that the government would control the medical decisions. The insurance companies do it already. If we stop the government then stop the insurance agencies.

July 22, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  47. Marsha

I thought the Pres laid everything out for the American people to understand. I currently work for a healthcare company and know for a fact how insurance companies request more and more money for premiums for the plans available and offer less benefits to even the best plans offered. There should be competion for private insurance. Perhaps then the private insurers will offer benefits worth the money we pay for. I'm all for hc reform.

July 22, 2009 at 11:40 pm |
  48. Angela, AZ

I don't understand the immediacy of reforming healthcare this very instant although I am in favor of it. I think that maybe if more Americans were employed, healthcare costs would not be so crippling....

July 22, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  49. Rikki, Fargo, ND

@Casey, I agree...the economy really should be on the forefront...we need to get people back to work before we worry about health care!

July 22, 2009 at 11:39 pm |
  50. Michelle

Once Professor Gates proved it was his house that
    should have been the end of it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:38 pm |