July 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/22/09

Tonight we'll have all the angles on Pres. Obama's news conference. Will his health care plan not boost the deficit as he insists? We're keeping them honest. And, we have the raw politics on the showdown that's expected on Capitol Hill over the bill that's in the works. We have what it means for you and your family.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

Since I'm diabetic I've been told that I am non-insurable now so I have to keep the plan that I have.
    How will the health care reform affect those of us with this problem? Will it only benefit the poor or those without coverage?

July 22, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  2. Liz

Nice to have you back I am enjoying your voice...so smooth...
    You were missed and you are so how to say...WOW!
    Good politics and by the you are making my english better!

Welcome back!

July 22, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  3. dana

The significant drug in Michael Jackson's system is formalin. The rest don't count anymore.

July 22, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  4. Henya From CA,

Expellant press conference he is so Smart and Articulate I am so tired of all those folks that do not understand what are the insurance Co, is doing with not covering pre existing condition it is sad , Health care is needed in this country. the Insurance Companies are one of the most profitable Business in the US this way it will be combative, they will have to reduce the premiums I do not have health ins, cannot afford to pay $600.00 1 person to expansive. but if I and up in the hospital who will pays for it? we need affordable health care Ins, for all Americans, Our President is doing a wonderful job for all us.

July 22, 2009 at 11:38 pm |
  5. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

@Diane......I think that's pretty fair coverage considering it's a family. I'm on state assistance for my prescription co-pays which amount to about $2200/month. AND, I have a full-service insurance plan! None of us can afford to get sick, honestly.

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Daine, I had surgery that cost $60,000 and paid a $250 hospital co-pay. I doubt if I'll be better off with anything Obama comes up with. Sure IO get nickle and dimed by co-pays for meds and Dr visits, but when the big bills hit I was OK. I like what I have, so don't mess with it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  7. Christopher Robinson, Bartlesville, OK

It is pure ignorance that the police officers arrested Gates anyway after they knew that it was his house. This just goes to show that racism is still alive and well in the US.

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  8. maurice

I personally feel the republicans have no answer for any of the problems this country is facing. Their political agenda has and always will be is to make sure this President does not succeed in anything his administration tries. The politicians have great healthcare. Why should they want to spend money on the ones who do not.

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  9. desiree

The issue with michael jackson is making him look worse. No on is mentioning the type of practice dr murray has. In houston his partner was suspended due to giving pills without examining the patients. You would think someone like jackson knows this.

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  11. Stephanie in Lodi , New Jersey

I think that President Obama did an exceptional job explaining his and our vision of what health care should be in America. They show the polls of people not approving his healthcare reform, but they must not have taken the votes of those that have no insurance or litlle insurance (seniors citizens) in my community. How would the house of representatives like to exchange health coverage with the real people?

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  12. Brad

go obama

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  13. Brooks ca

It's funny to hear people who have everything in life tell the less fortunate what is best for them. President Obama's health reform bill is designed to assist the middle/working class and elite people do not want to see the playing field leveled, then they will not be elite. I'm sick of partisan politics that stymie getting things done. Business as usual will eventually cause this country to implode. Remember your history books, revolution ocurrs when the distance between the elite and the poor is large and is growing and when hoplessnes is rappant. God's blessings and wisdom on our President .

July 22, 2009 at 11:37 pm |
  14. Winston Jay

The question for Americans is if they truly believe that health care is a right. If not and this effort fails, then America will be the only country in the industrial world where healh care remains a luxury. My view is that those who have milked the people for decades fear exposure with a government option. Its all about their bottom line. PROFIT. Very proud to be a Canada!!

July 22, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  15. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

@ starr formerly known as vincent

I couldn't agree nire with you... seriously. It's a fact that it looks like his death its a total caos right now and it'll be for a long time.

July 22, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  16. Theresa

Cindy said "Do people really think that if we have free health care that big businesses will keep their private insurance if they don’t have to? They will drop that and make their employees go for free HC and they will save major bucks!"

My response: Just like today our laws say a company over a certain size is responsible to provide certian insurances for their employees. They will probably be mandated to do the same in the future. If they don't then they should be fined.

Someone else mentioned the VA and I think that should be part of the plan to reform healthcare also. It is an example of what NOT to do but we should do something and this is the only option before us now.

July 22, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  17. Jennifer- CA

I wish people would just let that poor man rest in peace. Everyone and I mean Everyone is trying to cash in and his name is just going to end up being synonymous with 'scandal.' How about we take a rest from this and stop walking hand-in-hand with the investigation? I would like to know how it ends up, but I don't want to know about every blink or breath those involved are making.

July 22, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  18. Mel

Black in america 2 was very inspiring!

July 22, 2009 at 11:35 pm |
  19. Sabrina In Las Vegas

All meds and patient files need to be compiled into a central database so each doctor can see what was done previously and what is currently being given.

Most of these high level drugs are triple scrip which means there are 3 copies, one for patient, one for doctor and one for an agency that tracks how much of each drug is out and to whom, given by which doctor.

Oxycotin, tylenol 3, and others are on that list. You can only get a certain amount anyway.

July 22, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  20. S. Hughes

First...."Black in America".....GREAT JOB CNN & Solidad !!

Why are the Republicans and Blue Dogs making this a Let's Break Him agenda? This is about the American People. I trust the president and tonight what I found compelling was he went through how the plan would help me (Average American) and why we need it . Clear enough for me to understand what his thoughts are on this issue and now we need congress to work together and get this reform passed.....

July 22, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  21. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Marvin, it will be expensive because you can't add coverage for 49 million people for free. Someone has to pay and that will be you and me.

July 22, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  22. andrea

Have that Nurse ever heard about HIPPA, who is talking about Micheal Jackson

July 22, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  23. Linda

I agree with President Obama view of Cambridge police. If Gates had been white the police would have been apologzing.

July 22, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  24. adela palenzuela

Welcome back Anderson we miss ya

July 22, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  25. cedrick biteghe

im not from this country but i think that the united states need this health care. most countries in the world offer a better system of health than united states and it's obvious. not because they have a lot money but they have a good organisation. so i don't think money is matter

July 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  26. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

I'm not surprised that Dr.Murray's office was raided today.Nothing that he did or said,from the day that MJ died ,has sat right with me at all...It will be interesting and very sad ,if in fact ,he was a contributor to MJ's death.A lot of people will be very angry with him if he is guilty....

July 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  27. Lori, IL

Anderson - Nice to have you back in the anchor chair - hope you enjoyed your vacation.

July 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  28. Elaine

I agree with Jason. Everyone agrees that changes need to be made, but it's very scary to think that such a drastic overhaul in healthcare affecting all Americans and the economy is being rushed through. Medicare has been so mismanaged, and now we want to trust the government with this whole complex issue. Just think....unintended conseqences!

July 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

When is the toxicology report due out?

July 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  30. David, Indiana

Pres. Obama's press conf, yes is kind of a holding action, I agree w/David Gergen on that, but as Pamela Gentyr also noted, I did get the feeling that progress is being made, esp the fact that 160 repub amendments have been add to the Senate bill as it stands. I think the President addressed successfully how the plan will be funded–2/3 of cost to be paid by reallocating revenue already coming in.

How will the insurance exchange work? Possibility of private insurance being crowded out maybe that needs to be addressed.

How will private insurance be regulated?

I have the feeling that we are waiting for more details.

July 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  31. sharon, sydney, ns

Vickie_AR
    You know I had the same thoughts. It's been what almost a month now? If he had anything incriminating lying around, wouldn't it be gone by now?

July 22, 2009 at 11:33 pm |
  32. amina

My take on the plan is that only the ignorance and the careless people are the ones opposing the health care reform, they should give it a chance before dimissing the bill and asks themselves if it were ther family members would they be this ignorant about their health. Like president OBama said this is not for him or the congress this is for the American people, hte riches are the ones opposing the bill becasuse they have all the resources and the money to pay for any kind of insurance whilst the paupers lie us can't even afford to put the entire family on insurance and for i think its very unfair to the rest of the American people who have lost their jobs or simply can't afford health insurance. MY question is Are we sio blind that we can't see how many people get sick or die simply because they can't afford insurance or are we so ingorant that all we care about is how bankcrupt we going to be after the bill is passed. We are lucky enough to have a president who cares about the American people and our health, unlike the former president who only cared about revenge on a war that has no ending. Its high time we come together and try to save lives and in turn try to bring back the economy to a stability. We were askin for change and now that we have it right in our face we want to turn the other cheek simply because their are some ignorant people who only think about themselves and forget the rest.

July 22, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  33. Jewel

Vickie_AR, that's exactly what I was thinking.

July 22, 2009 at 11:32 pm |
  34. Wayne G

This is not reform,it is socialized medecine and that is clearly why there are no details.Not to mention that 10 million of the 40 that don't have it are illegal aliens.I should only have to pay for my health care!!!!!!

July 22, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  35. corry vt phoenix

yes, we want health care improved, but pres. obama said recently he's not familiar with the current house/senate plan details. if he isn't, then how in the world can he really promise we can keep our private plans?? do some homework!! tonight i didn't hear anything new–kind of stale.

July 22, 2009 at 11:31 pm |
  36. patricia

i've seen so may people without health suffer and it seems to be more
    everyday.....what' so complicated ...give us what our politicians have..
    HMO'S dictating to doctors about what test , medicine or operations
    does not sound like good health care to me.

July 22, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  37. holly- indiana

sorry i meant to say i am on medicare not medicaid.

July 22, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  38. Georgia

As a group, Americans are so fickle. Obama was voted in with a landslide....and now people are critical of anything he tries. Health care reform is absolutely imperative, and we need it now. I have been a participating member of the healthcare industry for over 30 years. At this time, I am unemployed and am one of the 48 million without insurance. Pre-existing conditions so no one will touch me, and for sure not at a price I can afford to pay. The rest of the population that does have insurance needs to sprout a conscience and let us have access too.

July 22, 2009 at 11:30 pm |
  39. Sabrina In Las Vegas

Financial debt is not a cause to blame someone.

If he did bad things and that is why the judgments, that is different.

There are times were walking away an going into debt is the only way out of a scamy situation. I would know.

July 22, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  40. Jennifer- CA

yes, welcome back! We missed you.. haha but John King did a great job of giving us our 360 news :)

July 22, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  41. Andre Fleurpis

Government health care control... It's about time !!!

My insurance paid health care prescription drug provider 'Caremark' charges me over $150.00 for a 90 day supply of generic thryroid pills.
    Yet... CVS, a wholly owned subsidiary of Caremark, charges $10.00 for a 90 day supply of the SAME generic thyroid medicine under their Health Savings Pass. How can the same company have such a variance of the same medicine cost? Maybe they thought it was to be administered as a suppository!

July 22, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  42. Diane in NE

I worked for a non-union company that charged me $500 per month for family coverage, plus $30 co-pays plus paying the remaining 20% of the medical bills that the insurance company did pay. Oh yeah, the 20% was AFTER I met my $250 deductible per family member. I've received medical bills from folks I never saw. Who can afford to get ill or go to a doctor with these types of medical plans??? Public Health Plan? Bring it on!

July 22, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  43. Maurice Fraga

The idea that getting jobs back to the people will allow them to get insurance if a good one, but the Republicans have to understand is that many of the uninsured are people who work part-time or with businesses that do not provide insurance in the first place. So getting a job is only part of the solution. Yes they will have money to buy things, but since insurance is expensive, they will still not be able to afford it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  44. starr formerly known as vincent

We (family & friends), sure hope that MJ has found peace, because there is obviously not going to be Any peace on earth re: his death, for the next several years.

We also hope his children can be protected from all of this mess.

July 22, 2009 at 11:29 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I would think that after all this time the doctor would have gotten rid of all the evidence don't you?

July 22, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  46. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Anderson, welcome back! :) It nice to have you back in the anchor chair!

'Should have' is very different than 'could have' This Michael Jackson investigation keeps getting a little more bizarre every day...

July 22, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  47. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

If it's an accident, it's manslaughter.....only good thing to come out of this, an ACCIDENT......

July 22, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  48. Vickie_AR

Surely by now Murrays' office has been swept clean of any evidence connecting him to the death of MJ.

July 22, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Were you vacationing in Italy or doing a story?

July 22, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  50. Nad

The situation with the professor is quite interesting but nothing new though. He's lucky they didn't shot him. We know stuff like that goes on all the time. Silly acts like this makes it very difficult for honest and fair minded cops to do their jobs because they all are being painted with the same dirty brush.

July 22, 2009 at 11:27 pm |