July 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/22/09

Tonight we'll have all the angles on Pres. Obama's news conference. Will his health care plan not boost the deficit as he insists? We're keeping them honest. And, we have the raw politics on the showdown that's expected on Capitol Hill over the bill that's in the works. We have what it means for you and your family.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Vontia Stern

How can getting people jobs help with their health insurance when the people who really need it most are unable to work. My aunt died from a 2 year bout with cancer and the next day she was approved for medicaid. She worked for the United State Postal Service for over 20 years. Thankfully her coworkers donated leave which enabled her to keep her jobs health care program until her passing.

July 22, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  2. Jewel

We pay for medicare, medicaid, social security and many other government programs,of which, I receive no benefits. We should have health care reform, at least this would allow me and others an opportunity to get a piece of the pie, of which we supply the crust for.

July 22, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  3. Michelle

It looks like MJ's doc is in big trouble.
    There is something the authorities found
    out. I guess we will all know soon enough.

July 22, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  4. Natalie

Why would anyone want to procrastinate on the health care bill getting passed? I watched the conference and it sounds like the president understands the immediate needs of the American people and is ready to act. He made the point that setting deadlines is important to prevent inertia and I agree. At the very least the discussion is on going and he is open to sensible suggestions. I'm confident that they can find a happy medium.

July 22, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  5. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

@ Lori, I absolutely, totally agree with you. Lawmakers may very good salaries, unbelievable benefits for life, they need to do their jobs. How would they feel if they were uninsured or underinsured?

July 22, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  6. Marvin Zapf

AC, I don't agree with CNN contesting everything that Pres Obama says. He is the president. Mine, yours, and everyone else. Let the man do his job.

July 22, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  7. Alice

I agree with the president, that America has the problem and is hurting now, and needs a cure now.

July 22, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  8. Lori, IL

@Anderson - nice to have you back. Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

July 22, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  9. kathryn

having worked in the health care for 40 yrs-you people have no idea what is needed for a fix. a massive amount of money which will raise the taxes of all of us. how about the fact that companies will only hire part time so they do not have to give benefits? that is the new way to do things.

July 22, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  10. James In Kamiah, Idaho

He, the doctor, is guilty, at least, of criminal negligence and acting as an enabler.

July 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  11. Sabrina In Las Vegas

a Raid?! Oh my he was the last doctor to see him.

I hope for his sake that is not true, but that many agencies, it seems he is the target.

July 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  12. Cindy

OMG..more MJ!!

This doc definitely had something to do with MJ's death.

Cindy..Ga.

July 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  13. Marvin Zapf

AC, I don't understand why Republicans can not explain what they mean when they say that the Health Care reform will be "expensive?"

July 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  14. Susan

Maybe I'm just a skeptic, but I still don't see how the gov't is going to pay for all this without getting into my wallet. If this same group of leaders miscalculated on the stimulus so badly (ie "unemployment won't go over 8.5% if you just pass this..." ) Then how can I trust them to crunch the numbers on this one? And it's an ongoing cost, not a one time shot!!!

July 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  15. Kimberly

Bay Buchanan- What about those who don't have it, and didn't have a job to lose it in the first place, how will getting their jobs back help them?

July 22, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  16. Jennifer- CA

Plenty of people have jobs where the employer doesn't provide healthcare or they provide inadequate coverage. An aspect (not the sole objective) of solving this is to get people their jobs back, but not so they can "afford healthcare" as your guest said. Why should people pay big bucks for a shoddy system?

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  17. Lorenzo Butler

Anderson, I'm sorry but the Professor Gates issue is completely racial profiling. I as an African American is not one to play the race card, but I know what it's like to have it done too. It's a sad truth about our country!

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  18. Elliot

As a physician I can relate to a great deal of what president Obama said. Doctors often choose procedures based on how much money they will make rather than what is best for the patient. Many physicians will self deceive themselves into thinking that they are practicing better medicine.

The president gave an example of this behavior by saying that some doctors will choose to do remove a patients tonsells rather than try other non invasive methods that might be better for the patient. Another example that comes to mind is a study presented at a recent convention on wound care where they showed that doctors in the US when treating infections associated with diabetes are more likely to choose surgery ,amputation because they get paid more, than their European counterparts who opt first for antibiotic therapy to treat the same condition.

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  19. James In Kamiah, Idaho

Good you're here.

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  20. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Someone told me this today, and Bay just re-iterated the essence of this. Maybe we should focus on the economy and THEN tackle healthcare.

"It really ain't going to matter if we all have healthcare but no one can afford to access it because they don't have jobs or money."

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  21. Scott - Bloomington, IN

Good evening all! I think most everyone is interested in healthcare reform, but most don't want a government plan. There are too many examples of single payor systems that deliver lousy care and Americans are worried that is exactly where the government option will lead. The government has tried its hand at running healthcare, Medicare, Medicaid, and the VA and they are all in need of serious overhaul. As long as a government option is part of the plan, support is going to lack.

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  22. Baldwin

Black in america 2 was good but it won't mean a thing if the popuplar notion in our community is to "be educated is acting white".

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  23. Kat

Issue is that a lot of both Dems and Repubs are getting loads of money from a lot of these insurance companies to run their political campaigns. This is why they are fighting Obama on health care reform. If many of them vote a "YES" and Obama's reform goes through, they will no longer be getting money for the political gains. People should note these fighting it and vote AGAINST them in the future. They do not wish for people to have options which will be beneficial. They want to help their rich friends and keep lying to people! Wickeds!

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  24. Stephen Baines

It's always easier to say what you are against rather than what you are for and propose an alternative. It is also easier to wait and see than to be active and apply change. I am still waiting to see alternatives from the Republicans, rather than just berating "Obama-care".

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  25. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

I agree, businesses are not able to afford the rising cost of healthcare, thus, the employees end up paying the difference. It's really a no win situation.

July 22, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  26. Sadie

I understood exactly what the President outlined. The reason we can't get pass this point is everyone seems to not understand what's happenig in this world. You have people using emergency services as routine health care, which costs more. If Walmart and other pharmacies can lower their costs for meds, why can't the congress work together to change health care. There is so much waste going on that if that were managed better, we could have health care for all and no increase in costs. WAKE UP PEOPLE!! I am 65 yr. old black woman who has health care; but understand why others do not.

July 22, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  27. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

What? companies can't afford health care! some companies are experiencing 40% increases in health care costs every year! And because employees don't actually see the premiums come out of their paycheck, they don't pay attention to the waste. But even if we're not paying attention, we're all paying for a broken system.

July 22, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  28. andersoncnn

evening everyone, nice to be back!

July 22, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  29. Denise

Why are we trying to create a health care system from scratch? Many other countries have been able to provide quality care to all of their citizens at an affordable price. Why can't we just replicate or modify a system that works in another country and make it work here? I don't care if it's government or private. Anything is better than what I've got now, which is nothing. I just want to be insured!

July 22, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  30. Gail in SC

Healthcare reform is extremely important. Congress should not recess in August if they have not gotten their work done. I don't get to go on vacation unless my work is done nor should Congress. President Obama shows patience and explains everything and quite frankly I don't understand how the American people continue to listen to Republicans that lied to us for years. This is not about President Obama is about the Congress. It will be the Congress' failure not the President's.

July 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  31. greg santoro

Does the president actually think the american people will take him seriously when he says 2/3 of thtoe health care reform bill will be paid
    for by cutting out wastefull spending? come on – he danced around the questions as to what people really want to hear and that is the SPECIFIC DETAILS of what this bill really entails. you can't add 47 million people and expect not to pay more for health care.

July 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  32. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Republicans have offered over 100 amendments to the plan. Pelosi will never let this be a bipartisan process. 14,000 people losing health care daily is because 14,000 are losing jobs. What's with the stimulus?

July 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  33. starr formerly known as vincent

Somebody need to remind Bay Buchanan that 60% of bankrupcies are from medical bills.

July 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  34. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

This whole "August Vacation" can be annoying too. If it's important enough for America, then, Congress should consider working through it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  35. Lori, IL

I agree with Hillary Rosen - the Repubs never seem to come up with an alternative. I'm so sick of hearing congressmen say they need time for healthcare reform - President's have been pushing for health care reform for years and congress always seems to stop it - so in my opinion they have had years to work on this problem and chose not to.... maybe it's time they stepped up to the plate and addressed this issue....

July 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  36. andrea

I agree with the President. Let him try. What is this about cost, if a person goes to the ER without Insurance they are taken care of. Who pays for this? Yes it is the hosptal or the government. So already it is costing us the people who pay taxes

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  37. Bernice

Healthcare reform in America should be a "No Brainer". Do we care? Are we hypocrits? Anyone working in healthcare knows the system is broken, obsolete, dead and must be overhauled. What is so hard to understand about Crisis? People are dying! Who really cares?

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  38. Susan Sanchez

How dare any American question spending any amount of money to care for those who are less fortunate and do not have the funds to have health insurance. We have spend a trillion plus dollars on a war that we had no business being involved in and that no one wanted us over there anyway. Why can't we take care of ourselves and our people??? Everyone in America regardless of age, sex, nationality deserve to have healthcare and to have it regardless if laid off, employed but can't afford it, elderly or sick.

I fully support this President and believe that we should support him after the last eight years of complete torture by an idiotic Bush

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  39. Janine Parker

Politicians crack me up! They do not have to worry about health insurance because there's is great. Why do the Republicans continue to put road blocks up against the nation. They are not hurting our President; they're hurting us, the nation. They need to stop worrying about their career and help the people they work for, us!

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  40. Lisa

Only the more stupid among us can still believe that health care reform isn't needed immediately. President Obama stated the situation truthfully when he told of the horror stories many have suffered under the current health care structure. I watched my father die from prostate cancer when his insurance cancelled him because the treatment became too costly and other insurers turned him away because of a pre-existing illness. Shame on all of us if we continue to block a real chance to help the suffering. Shame especially on the Republicans if they continue to make this a discussion about poitics and simply wanting the "black" president to fail.

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  41. Kay

You shouldn't report any doom and gloom stuff by republicans unless they have a positive idea to present. That would end their tirades/

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  42. Sabrina In Las Vegas

I have gone from having the best insurance to having only catastrophic to no insurance at all (my current state again).

Education on how to prevent some basic health problems is key to reducing the back end costs.

Teach the diabetic to seriously avoid the sugar overload and that will keep them from ending up in the ER from complications. People want to have good health.

We have to tax the bad things for their good, but we have to make the good things for them cheaper. You can get a fast food meal with extreme fat, sugar and calories for cheaper than what it costs for a lean protein and fresh vegetable and a low cal drink!

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  43. kathleen

The Presidents news conference was wonderful. We need healthcare change now! I know first hand how horrible the cost of health care is. I alone pay 630.00 a month. I can't afford to see my doctor as I can't pay the co-pays each month so I go wothout needed test and visits.
    We are both unemployed and I have pre-existing conditions and can't afford to change Everynight I lose sleep wondering how much longer I can keep paying for this Insurance. Without it we could loose everything I know as I.ve been there once already in my life.

I know how quickly the savings goes away and you still haven't a diagnoises. I spent 14 years with a death threatening illness anf the HMO I py through the noise just kept letting me fall through the cracks
    util I was on my death bed in ER. 14 years of my life taken away and no
    one cared,

We can't let the insurance lobbyist control the hill. If these Representatives do not get on the train to get us all health care then they need to get the hel out of Washington. I am sick of te talking consevativeheads. Get out of our lives.

July 22, 2009 at 11:21 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

@Barbara in Boston. Absolutely right. I was a Director of Admissions in a private psychiatric hospital. People think that just because they have benefits that their insurance company will approve paying for certain types of treatment. You would not believe what we had to go through just to get insurance companies to approve an inpatient admission. Or you probably would understand. Unbelievable. We frequently had to appeal initial decisions all the way to their physician board in an attempt to just get them to approve a treatment.

July 22, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  45. James In Kamiah, Idaho

Bay is just upset because the people have lost faith in the GOP.

July 22, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  46. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Bay actually sounds believable tonight (and she looks great). She seems to have really toned down the delivery which makes her much more credible.

July 22, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  47. Mary

I think President Obama's PUSH for health care is definitely necessary. He has answered some of the same questions at every news conference. Why is there a question about adequate health care for Americans? Don't we want to have healthy citizens? Why are some Congressmen saying that ER is a substitute for health insurance? The hospital emergency room does not take the place of a good health plan.

July 22, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  48. John Ballom

President Obama did an intellegent job of articulating the situation of heath care in this country.

July 22, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  49. Bryan

Hey Anderson,
    It is hard for me to wrap my head around the staggering numbers that oppose the health care plan. Where are the polls being taken, are the surveys only targeted to the Republicans opinion. How are the numbers tallied? What media is gathering this info.?

July 22, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  50. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

Who will benefit the most from the health care reform? My husband and I run our own business and my husband has worked 7 days a week for many years. We pay about $1200.00 a month for our health care insurance.
    We aren't poor or rich and we struggle every month to keep from losing what we have. Will we be included in this so called health care reform? Probably not.

July 22, 2009 at 11:19 pm |