July 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/22/09

Tonight we'll have all the angles on Pres. Obama's news conference. Will his health care plan not boost the deficit as he insists? We're keeping them honest. And, we have the raw politics on the showdown that's expected on Capitol Hill over the bill that's in the works. We have what it means for you and your family.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dianna

We have to have health care reform. Our economy cannot survive this. We also need education reform as well. Why are Healthcare and Education going up every year? People who have no insurance coverage still go to hospitals and are treated. WHO pays for this? We all do!!!!!!! Why can't people see this? Why can't people understand that when you have no health care access people are sicker and when they seek care they are almost dead. Who Pays for this? WE ALL DO!!!

July 22, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  2. Jim - Puyallup Washington

I am a republican but I stand with president Obama on health care. The cost of health care is out of control and I havent heard anything better than what he is proposing. I believe the president that if we do nothing we are doomed!

July 22, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  3. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

I've always wanted to know about the Homeless and health care...those who don't even have any record of living? What about them?

July 22, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  4. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I never heard anyone use so many words to say so little.

After all that talk, Obama’s plan is not any clearer than it was yesterday. I think his approval numbers tomorrow will prove it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:19 pm |
  5. Monica M. Williams

Regarding the Presidential Health Care Reform: David Gergen has just read my mind. I totally agree with his point referencing Ross Pero. What is the plan? Less broad strokes and more detail is the precisely what I want to see and hear.

I really don’t want to hear anyone else speculate on what the reform will entail. I believe our President has a solid “something” in the works. I’m hoping tomorrow’s visit to the Cleveland Clinic and Town Hall Meetings will reveal what "it" is.

July 22, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  6. PETER

Obama claims that he has a GREAT insurance policy, which is including the Senate and Congress, WHY don't we make that insurance plan availible for everyone instead of all this Discussion.

July 22, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  7. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I wonder if Congress and the President will give up their plans and use Obama's for their own health care. Leadership by example.

July 22, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  8. Dusty Hickey

As a retired R.N. and lifetime Republican, health care needs to be changed for the better and for all of America. Time to stop the greed in medicine that is made off of people getting sick. The anti movement is nothing but bull hockey and scare tactics. Now ask WHY?

July 22, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  9. Martha Bone

I am a huge supporter of President Obama (and I'd like to vote for Michelle Obama, too) but "incentivize" is a horrible word. And as a Kentuckian, I am horribly ashamed to have any connection to Mitch McConnell.

July 22, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  10. Kate

Obama was not convincing tonight, because what he wants won't reduce costs, won't be fiscally feasible, will reduce quality, will put our country even deeper in debt, and will not even give coverage to everyone without it.
    Maybe Washington should fix Medicaid and Medicare which are bankrupt, before they start ANOTHER government program. Americans want smart reform, not mediocre socialized healthcare which will bankrupt America...even more than it is now.

July 22, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  11. Cindy

Do people really think that if we have free health care that big businesses will keep their private insurance if they don't have to? They will drop that and make their employees go for free HC and they will save major bucks!

Cindy..Ga.

July 22, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  12. David, Indiana

Evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Wow literally overwhelmed by Black in America 2. Intense reporting on Journey for Change, Capital Prep, and MLT program for one thing, and on the stories of young school kids, aspiring college students and young professionals. A very insightful and inspiring program. What I noticed mostly was Steve Perry's work at Captial Prep High School, he's doing some incredible work, and showing remarkable committment, dedication, and thoroughness as an educator.

July 22, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  13. shee

Anderson, great to have you back! I wonder why an issue as sensitive, and urgent as health care has to be so puzzling. Seriously, cutting to the chase would seem more like what is needed. Did I miss something about Jack Gray? where did he go?

July 22, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  14. L. Brennan

President Obama was as precise and specific as he could be. At some point, people have to trust, and I do. I give him a 10

July 22, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  15. Cheryl

I am more confused now than I was before the president spoke tonight. Nothing concrete to hold onto, even his own party is not sold on his healthcare reform. It just sounds like more rhetoric to me!

July 22, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  16. Natasha Dunbar

I thought Black in America Part 2 was excellent, Soledad O'Brian is doing a great job with these specials. I loved seeing the giving back spirit of Chris Rock's wife, and seeing the new young leaders in MLT was inspirational.

July 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  17. Joe Ventura

I voted for obamas plans of education plans and heathcare, He has dressed one of the two he should talk about more then heathcare

July 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  18. Rikki, Fargo, ND

If the President can actually pull off a health care reform that wont increase our deficit, I will be really impressed but I'll believe when I see it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  19. Darryl

The Presdents comment were right on.

July 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Barbara in Boston. I'm in the Boston area now, and some local stations are giving facts not in the MSM. For example, a witness has said Gates was shouting and being abusive, which he denied. Gates should apologize, not the police.

July 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  21. David c.

Let's do this as a country-i have always thought well of the president-what I want to see is an end to partisan bickering, so that we can generate real reform-stay at it, congress and the white house-let's do this for the good of the country...and it can be done without terror for fear of numbers-unity can yield a solid pragmatic result

July 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  22. Bert

Not impressed! More rhetoric and no specifics on how to pay for it! Look, when you have to tell the American people he really means it this time? Sounds like someone has a problem with the telling the truth?

July 22, 2009 at 11:16 pm |
  23. Barbara in Boston

Tom you said one version of the House bill has been projected by CBO to cost more than expected. What about other versions? If you're going to "keep them honest," why not present the full picture?

24. Julie - Boston

The President did not mention that if you lapse in coverage more than 63 days, 90 for some states, you will get healthcare BUT your pre-existing conditions will not be covered for 12 months. So, you will not be rejected for pre-existing conditions is not the WHOLE truth...

25. Lee Barnett

I feel badly about the President because I don't think he is 'telling it as it is,' and I don't believe a word he says or said. If anything, my sense is that he wants to turn the whole country into the Southside of Chicago.

26. Jason

I just can't bring myself to believe either side of the isle when they promise drastic improvements in efficiency. Big government does not understand the definition of efficiency.

27. Sabrina In Las Vegas

I like his comment about a central place for patient info to go so each doctor doesn't perform the same test and raise the rates for everyone.

The uninsured cost...called ER visits that they can't pay for.

cover them and reform education about how to guard your health better.

28. CURTIS

@Barbara "a patient was suicidal and had a plan to jump off a balcony, the representative asked how high the balcony was before finally authorizing the admission."

That is just shocking. Whose to blame? The doctor or the system that has a gun pointed at the doctor's head?

29. Denise

Hello
    I am a pharmacist at a clinic that receives local, state and federal funds. many patients walk out the door with thousands of dollars in medication. Newsflash: Neither entity can afford to do this much longer. Another newsflash: the recipients look like America: black, white, hispanic, immigrant, those who live in projects and those with gated community addresses. There are even some small business owners who cannot afford health care given their condition. Wake America it will be hard either way: change or when it implodes.

30. Irene

I think this press conference was never meant to "outline his plan" but was meant to let all Americans know what is at stake here. Americans need to understand we cannot afford health care as it is now. They also need to understand the negative relationship between our premiums, the services we receive and the profits of the health care providers. Also, I think everyone should research the amount of money these lobbyists and health care companies are donating to those congressmen who are opposing reform. It is quite an eyeopener.

31. edaire

What is the world getting to when all of us know this is the best way to help this country to get back in our feet like before

32. JOSEPH BUTTACAVOLI

what about the fine if you don't have it.

33. Suvro, AC360°

The magic wall is back in action....

34. larry

I think that the President put everything on the table to the American People.I think that it is about time that the US has some kind of a Health care coverage.I have been in Europe and especially in Germany and they are covered by Heath care.Don't see why can't we do the same

35. Geneva Russell

If not now, when? All the experts we have in the world, have not done as much as this President for health care reform. The saga continues....

36. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

The interesting part of Pres. Obama's press conference tonight was when he admitted that he currently has great healthcare (i.e. a personal Doctor follows him around all day long). The perks of being the president.....I wonder how much having a doctor available at all times cost?

37. Michael Wendt

I would like to know why no one in the House or Senate has stood up in front of the American public to say they and their family will join the healthcare plan being proposed. When will we stop the inconsistencies of Congress has one plan, but the American public, the people who elected them, have to suffer through a different plan. Time to change the system......

July 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  38. Ramona Becker

President Obama did a great job tonight and I hope a lot of people were listening. He is being honest with us about a very critical issue. I feel much better about it since hearing him. Too many rumors and misinformation out there from the big special interests who don't want it to happen. Ask yourselves why they are spending millions to stop it. They are afraid of losing their obscene profits.

July 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  39. Roni

My husband and I lived in Canada for the past 35 years. We are American citizens and have moved back here. We are saddened to see and hear the negative propaganda spread by anti health care reformists. There should be no fear in Universal Health Care. We paid for it through our taxes and we all slept better at night knowing we, as hard working middle class people would not go bankrupt if we faced catastrophic illness. Please America give it a chance.

July 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  40. steve

goverment health care will never work if you want to see an example just look at the VA its full of red tape cost over runs and poor care. they believe in no chioces medicate not cure is the motto.

July 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  41. Catherine

I agree Obama needs to spend more time explaining why his health-care reform strategies are the best ones. More specifics from him will force detractors to come up with legitimate criticisms. So far I've only seen GOP talking heads spewing the same old nonsense. Wish everyone wasn't so afraid to go deep into the issue and explain the details. Most of us need them to truly understand it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  42. Wayne G

Why do some feel that tax payers owe them health insurance?I get taxed and pay for health care without asking someone else to pay for it

July 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  43. Anna

We already spend more than any other nation in the world on health care, and individual costs keep rising. Not only am I concerned about the cost, but what are we going to do differently to put all this money to good use? The president needs to do a better job answering that question.

July 22, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  44. brad

The president cleary laid out the steps (structure) of his idea of reform and made a very convincing case to the American Public. Now America has to energize and/or shake up the less than productive congress!

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  45. Jim

I think president obama did a good job. I was for a new single payer system run by the govt. Its a comprimise for me to go with the govt. option plan. Listening to him tonight reinforces my support. I belive the president that this plan will not add to the deficit but help it.

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  46. Anne

If the feds are looking to Canada and Britain's health care system, then absolutely no way do I want anything similar. Fix it, do not take it over. Start with medicaid and medicare; so far they've made a mess of them, so they need to fix them first before I will listen to anymore of their promises. No one seems to have read any of the bills that are being proposed; you cannot make promises if you don't know what the heck is in it. Obama missed the ball.

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  47. starr formerly known as vincent

Excellent panel discussion. Love David Gergen's analysis. Agree that Pres. Obama has made Healthcare the centerpiece of his presidency.

I also agree that he has made tremendous progress. I think that the "blue dog" dem's and some republicans will eventually join him on a compromise bill.

Sen. McConnell & Rep. Boehner were talking in compromise terms today....so, i think it will happen, maybe in Aug. if Speaker Pelosi keeps the House open.

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  48. Rose B.

I still see no benefit for the working middle class. If he makes the employer pay more tax or go to his health insurance plan which you know will be run by the government who I don't trust, we may all lose our coverage. I'm a two time breast cancer survivor and it really scares me to think that this might go through. what happens to me under his plan. Will they tell me sorry but the medication I've been taking didn't work so I won't be covered anymore. Very very scared.

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  49. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! I loved Black in America! What a touching story.Those children going to Africa,and the changes that will surely happen in their lives because of that opportunity.And the girl getting into college and out of her circumstances.I teared up more than a few times during that show and I'll watch part 2 tomorrow night too!

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  50. Kim from PA

Nothing riveting tonight, but still necessary. He may have wanted to make a bigger deal of the out of washington group the white house in championing. The people do not know enough about it and it sounds like a good idea,

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |