July 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 07/22/09

Tonight we'll have all the angles on Pres. Obama's news conference. Will his health care plan not boost the deficit as he insists? We're keeping them honest. And, we have the raw politics on the showdown that's expected on Capitol Hill over the bill that's in the works. We have what it means for you and your family.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

And take a look at our live web camera from the 360° studio. Watch the WEBCAM

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Tammy

I want reform. We live in America for God's sake! I'm pissed that Bush left us in this shit; I bet he has the best policy/coverage!!

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  2. Melinda

I thought President Obama did a great job of explaining his health care proposal for the ordinary person. Who really understands every aspect of their health insurance coverage?

July 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm |
  3. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

the press conference today just seemed like a repeat of the presidential election.

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  4. Stephen Baines

The president did a decent job of presenting the complexity of the health care reform situation. I would hope that he would sit down with all moderates (both Republican & Democrat) and each of the House and Senate leaders and get this reform done. The moderates are right in their stance of costs.

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  5. Bayo

I absolutely loved the series, it is very uplifting, We are soo used to seeing the negative and not so much of the positive change and role models in our community

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  6. Jaycee

I think the President did what he does best, give us hope, and let us know that he is going to get the job done. People are waiting for him to fail, and I feel that he is doing the best he can with what he was given. We need universal health care, and he can get it done.

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  7. Michelle, CA

I'm "understandably queasy" after that news conference/PR CPR. Looking forward to seeing if half the things he said would happen fiscally are actually possible.

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  8. Jason

I tried to watch with an open mind, but it is tough to back such a drastic overhaul of our economy based on little to no facts.

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  9. Barbara in Boston

The aressting officer of the Cambridge police did act stupidly in Dr. Gates's case. Unfortunately, greater Boston has a long history of racism and racial profiling, but I thought we had gotten better since the busing riots.

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  10. Joe Ventura

we do not have enough money to make a really heath care form right now, I'm all for heathcare but we dont have the money, Look at FDR he put millions of unemployment people to just create money follow, i havent seen Obama adress this issue in the last 2 months

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So far all we have seen is arm-waving with no specifics. Get to the details.

July 22, 2009 at 11:12 pm |
  12. Ann

Wish the webcam was on b/c I don't have tv tonight... 😀

July 22, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  13. Lori, IL

Always enjoy David Gergen's comments -

Anyone else been having trouble with the Webcam the last few nights, or is it just me?

July 22, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  14. jerry - SoCA

I'm neither democrat nor republican. I'm a US Government employee who is able to choose my family's coverage. I pay around $250 per month to cover my family. Each year I have the option to choose another provider. All of the major providers are part of the pool. If I weren't a civil servant I'd be paying a whole lot more for the coverage I enjoy. HC reform is what's best for our society. There is no hidden agenda.

July 22, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  15. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you back.
    I watched the news conference earlier–I hope Pres. Obama's efforts at health care reform are successful. Your discussion tonight is quite interesting.

July 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  16. Sabrina In Las Vegas

I follow Obama on Twitter so I signed the form.

I think it will be fine.

July 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  17. Rikki, Fargo, ND

I wish I could have caught the press conference tonight I was out and about...but I'm sure it will be online before night's end so I hope to catch it later!

July 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The stimulus was rammed through because we were told we couldn't wait. Well, has it worked? This railroading of health care has to stop. Too much money is involved to get this wrong.

July 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  19. susan kates

The politicians all have health care so why not provide the same coverage for the rest of the country !!

July 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  20. Julie - Boston

My take on the plan...if you are poor and/or unemployed without insurance you may benefit from socialized medicine. Those of us that are paying LOTS of money for private health insurance will not benefit. We may even be hurt financially by this plan. How is it ok that my husband and I pay well over 900.00 per month, my new quote for HMO was 1800.00 per month. How will I be helped? I don't see how I fit into his plan.

July 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  21. Dennis Kornbluh

What's so hard to understand about cheap health insurance coverage, and no pre-existing conditions? I think David Gergen is making too much of the complexity issue. It *is* a basic pocketbook issue. Not covered before - covered now. Americans understand that much.

July 22, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  22. Alishia Beckley, WV

I love the Black in America 2 very inspiring.

July 22, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  23. Cindy

I agree with Gerg..if Obama doesn't get health care through he will have failed in his pres term.

Cindy..Ga.

July 22, 2009 at 11:09 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I did watch our president was talking about our healthcare, how can we are not able afford to buy insurance and medicare or else, I agree with our pres. Obama, can more one trillion in the future!

July 22, 2009 at 11:08 pm |
  25. Barbara in Boston

I strongly support President Obama's efforts to reform healthcare.

I work in admissions at a psychiatric hospital. I see the nearly punitive approach to mental health treatment managed care companies take.

Patients with depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder and even Alzheimers are denied treatment and given minimal inpatient days even when they are in crisis. Recently, when one company's representative was told a patient was suicidal and had a plan to jump off a balcony, the representative asked how high the balcony was before finally authorizing the admission.

Each state has a different set of rules for what defines a mental illness and how it will be covered. Only a federally managed system will have the clout to get mental health treatment covered.

July 22, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

Im glad that there is someone who cares if someone like me, who hasnt had any health insurance for quite some time, has insurance and who cares if someone, like a close family friend of mine who was just diagnosed with breast cancer, has enough or good enough insurance. I really hope Obama is able to get this going and to keep it going

July 22, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  27. Marianne CA

Hi Anderson and everyone!
    Glad to see you back, although you look quite tired.

Black in America was very interesting. Some parts were a bit redundant, but most if it was definitely eye opening, for me anyway.

I really want to see how this health care proposal is going to turn out...

July 22, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  28. Sharon Hastings

David Gergen is right. I actually have no idea whatsoever about how he will fix it. The argument that it needs to be fixed is a no brainer. I hope he speaks again to specifics when they are available. I think we deserve specifics. He says it's about us.

July 22, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  29. Edwin Velez

Yes I have health insurance and then a lot of medical bills to paid

July 22, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  30. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

I thought Obama did a good job, trying to keep our eyes on the prize. The reality is that health care is crippling companies and governments... I appreciated that he kept saying that people have no tolerance for politics on this issue. We are experiencing horrible impact from politics in PA right now, three weeks without a state budget, 40,000 state workers (maybe more) now not getting paid. All because each side has been spending more time trying to blame the other instead of sitting down and negotiating a budget deal.

July 22, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  31. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

I love the President making the point that our legislators ALL have health care. Is the implication that our lawmakers just dont get it, because they wouldnt know what it's like to struggle or wonder were their coverage is coming from (my pocket)?

July 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  32. Cindy

Obama seems to do long drawn out answers at his pressers so he won't have to answer many questions.

Cindy..Ga.

July 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  33. Kristen, MD

Hello Anderson.

No Survo, I didn't watch Black in America 2.

I thought I would learn something new from Obama's press conference, disappointed I didn't.

July 22, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  34. Joji

Welcome back, Anderson! About the proposed health reform, where will all the money come from to fund it? My guess is that my tax .will go up probably 10 notches.

July 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  35. starr formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson (glad to have you back even though we like John King), hello to Erica and Team 360.

Hello fellow bloggers.

Suvro, AC3760: I have it taped, haven't seen it yet, looking forward to watching Black in America II later this evening.

July 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  36. Isabel • Brazil •

@Suvro
    I had not seen the first program and I liked a lot today.
    Many interesting stories about great achievements!

July 22, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  37. Jolene, St. Joseph, MI

Hello Bloggers! Black in America 2 was excellent as expected. Favorite part was the kids going to S. Africa. What a great opportunity and life changing experience!

July 22, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  38. Casey Jones, Palm Springs, CA

Good evening. I thought Black In America was much more thorough and it is very well done, even compelling in parts. But there were parts which were a repeat from the last special and I started tuning-out.

July 22, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Welcome back Anderson!!!! we missed you!! Yay!!!

July 22, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers. I thought the President did well and made the argument for change in health care now. No waiting. I can't count the examples of people I know who have had terrible health care or insurance experiences or whose jobs have quit offering health care altogether.

July 22, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  41. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

I missed Black in America 2!! I wasn't at home 😦

How was it?!

July 22, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  42. Cindy

Welcome back Anderson.

Obama's presser did nothing for me. It was the same ol same ol speech.

Cindy..Ga.

July 22, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Suvro, AC360°
    I didn't watch anything. but hello Suvro!!!!! I am glad see you again!!!!! I love your comment!

July 22, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  44. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Good evening everyone its good to be back my pc died on me and good to see you Anderson!

July 22, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  45. Rikki, Fargo, ND

Good evening Anderson and all! Hope everyone had a great day!

I'm still really interested to see how this whole Jackson case will unfold with the Doctors and all the meds he was taking!

July 22, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  46. Isabel • Brazil •

Hi, Anderson!
    Nice to have you back!
    I hope you had a peaceful day today! 🙂

Evening 360º team, David (Indiana) and everyone…

July 22, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  47. Cindy

Suvro...BIA2 was OK. The first part was really good but towards the end it started to bore me.

Cindy..Ga.

July 22, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening and welcome back Anderson and evening everyone. Soledad did a great job on her program

July 22, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  49. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spoklahoma!)

Hey sweet peeps! 😛

Hopefully your Wednesday was swell.

July 22, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  50. Suvro, AC360°

Hello all...Did you like Black in America 2? Any thoughts???

July 22, 2009 at 10:58 pm |